• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo and going green

Psyche131

Smash Rookie
I read in a magazine that out of all the game companies, nintendo has done zero, nada, nothing, to bring their company to a enviormentaly friendly state. I am no hippie, but it bothers me slightly that a company like nintendo that has no shortage of money and has created my favorite games of all time, is doing nothing to stop global warming? It is strange that from their wii comercials they would seem to be the most enviormentaly(sp?) friendly company, but they have in fact done nothing.
My question is, Does this bother you, the consumer and user of its product?
Does it change your opinion of the company?
Or do you not care/disagree?
Feel free to discuss and add anything.
Ill answer first
It does shock me that nintendo does nothing when companies like sony are going greener and greener. I always thought of nintendo as the bringers of happy games, now i think of nintendo as giant grey factories polluting the air.
Sorry if this is in the wrong page
And pleae, keep it civil i dont want this to become, well oil equals money and i dont care about the polar bears, or, dont eat anything with a shadow!
Any facts/info would be great
and i got this from an article in game informer, it was very interesting

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Do you realize that nearly all of the global warming statics chart got their numbers by randomly taking them out of a telephone directory and arranging them to look like a hockey stick?

Grunt

Smash Master
Do you realize that nearly all of the global warming statics chart got their numbers by randomly taking them out of a telephone directory and arranging them to look like a hockey stick?
I must admit i did utter an audible laughter upon reading your post, but am still curious as to the original intent of your statement.
AKA
LOLWUT?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Not to sound like an old, stuffy corporate businessman, but...this "going green" trend (and that's exactly what this is—a trend) is bull****.

It is common sense that we should be doing things to help/protect our Earth, no matter what the circumstances. Global Warming or not. Dying species or not. It's just a good idea to be environmentally conscious in general.

But we haven't been until now. I mean, some of us recycled once in a while, but none of us were gonna really care until we started seeing black smoke where clouds used to be.

But now that we have this nicely coined term "going green" and every company, celebrity and their mom is talking about it, we suddenly give a ****. It's the thing to do now, caring about the environment. But it's not enough for us to just keep a closer eye on where we throw our plastics. Instead, we have to peep in on everyone else (those companies and celebrities I mentioned earlier), to see if they're doing it. How selfish of them not to, right?

My point with all this long-windedness is just that people are too focused on this one issue. Yes, environmental troubles is a big problem, but it's not the only one. Maybe Nintendo isn't as focused on the matter as other companies, but honestly, who are we to judge? Is your house powered by wind?

Nintendo could be focused more on other issues. Feeding starving children, giving to charities, funding research for cures to diseases? They could be saints and you wouldn't know it because all anyone cares about right now is "going green".

All of that said, I would be happy to learn that Nintendo did, in some way, help the environment. It's a good thing. I just don't think they deserve to be crucified for not doing that.

TL;DR: Don't focus on what Nintendo isn't doing, focus on what you can do. It's not Nintendo's job to save the world. It would just be cool if they helped.

And maybe I'm just *****ing for no reason. I'm in kind of a sour mood for some reason. Sorry if this little rant offends you, but you really got me going there.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
My opinion? Who cares. Global warming is just a big political agenda, and honestly although things like recycling should be done to protect the actual planet, the rest should continue in a way that is going to continue keeping things efficient until we find a way to use nuclear fusion and/or some other extremely efficient energy scheme.

Mewter

Smash Master
It is common sense that we should be doing things to help/protect our Earth, no matter what the circumstances. Global Warming or not. Dying species or not. It's just a good idea to be environmentally conscious in general.

TL;DR: Don't focus on what Nintendo isn't doing, focus on what you can do. It's not Nintendo's job to save the world. It would just be cool if they helped.
Heh, maybe this should go in the debate forums.

Anyways, your right on one thing: We should take care of the environment no matter what. It shouldn't take a broken ozone layer to figure that out.
Also, maybe Nintendo could help a little. When you say "YOU", you should mean everyone. It's like saying, "Oh, Nintendo shouldn't help because they aren't one of us." They're human, right? Right, so maybe they should help too, even if it is inconspicuous. Like everyone else on this planet, they live here. It is partially Nintendo's job to save the world. Maybe not as a company, but maybe as individuals.

Please don't flame at me, it's not worth it. If you don't think I have any logic hidden in these words at all just quote that section, say "you're wrong" and go no further. It's just a waste of time.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagen46 View Post

cool, I never knew that!:laugh: No. But really. No.

Best101

Smash Ace
Who cares?

Global Warming is going to happen anyway, human activity and their pollution is just accelerating the process. This "going green" thing is only going to help slow down that process

Btw this has nothing to do with Brawl :/

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
You know, most companies that claim they are 'green' aren't doing anything that REALLY matters. Maybe they're cutting down on using say, a certain plastic. Well, companies are still going to do it, and all their really doing is delaying the inevitable. If a company truly wanted to be green, they should donate funds to research or environmental recovery projects, instead of simply 'cutting bak' on certain materials, or using recycled materials etc., if you as me.

Anyways, I want Nintendo to rule the world.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
Companies use the term "going green" and "environmentally safe" to bring in the business just like with "healthy" food. Nintendo doesn't have to bs the world to make the money the other companies are. They made innovation, they made family friendly, they integrated exercise into a video game system- which is a pain for me ;o (btw I'm skinny).

I think if companies made the change quietly then there wouldn't be idiots who blame the companies who aren't extrovert about it or who don't apply. Besides once the "evils of carbon dioxide" are gone, what next threat will we complain about next? The world needs a balance of carbon dioxide or else the planet will have no atmosphere- those purifying machines will kill us eventually too.

By the way, a single volcano produces more pollution than mankind has made in its existence. We've only increased that counter by 1 volcano compared to the countless volcanoes in the world.

And the same scientists 30 years ago who said there was going to be a global freezing are now saying there is a global warming. The unstableness of prediction is always a problem.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I think if companies made the change quietly then there wouldn't be idiots who blame the companies who aren't extrovert about it or who don't apply. Besides once the "evils of carbon dioxide" are gone, what next threat will we complain about next? The world needs a balance of carbon dioxide or else the planet will have no atmosphere- those purifying machines will kill us eventually too.
Last time we went without carbon dioxide, the planet literally froze over.
Last time we had too much carbon dioxide, the dinosaurs went extinct along with 20% of all life on earth.

We're closer to the latter, there's even a term for it; Hecedonian Mass Extinction.
And trust me, this one is very strong, I'd be surprised if it doesn't wipe out at least 50%.
/future evolutionary biology major

Kraut

Smash Apprentice
Last time we went without carbon dioxide, the planet literally froze over.
Last time we had too much carbon dioxide, the dinosaurs went extinct along with 20% of all life on earth.

We're closer to the latter, there's even a term for it; Hecedonian Mass Extinction.
And trust me, this one is very strong, I'd be surprised if it doesn't wipe out at least 50%.
/future evolutionary biology major

BUT! will I be able to ACTUALLY have beach front property in Arizona?

Ace55

Smash Lord
I know! I mean, if he believes in global warming, how on earth is he smart enough to read?
D@mn, you Australians are the worst polluters in the world. You've got like 15 million people on a freakin continent and still you manage to pop up on the big polluters list. You guy's must go out of your way to f*ck up your environment.

how does this affect your gameplay?
Well.... sweaty hands could be a problem.

M.K

Level 55
Although Global Warming is MOST definetly a complete hoax fabricated to make the public feel unworthy, it's funny how Nintendo doesn't jump on the bandwagon with this one :chuckle: I guess they never have!

Fonz

Smash Ace
Love the trolls saying global warming is a hoax, tell that to Venus ;)

Anyways, if the magazine's source is the same as the original source that I read this from it's based on pretty flimsy evidence. Greenpeace gave a rating to many large electronics manufacturers including Nintendo. Their ratings were not based on any investigations, but rather what the company reported it was doing for the environment on its website. If the company didn't keep up their website or simply didn't have a section describing what they were doing, they got the lowest score possible.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Although I definitely think that people should clean up after themselves and not be wasteful, I also believe that the green movement is a huge commercialized bastardization of real environmentalism that is really only another artificially engineered tool to garner money for all of the companies who have actually polluted the worst. They are a lot more keen on trying to look modern and cool (though failing) than they are on helping the planet.

GamenerdAdvance

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo are being incredibly "green".

Thing is, Greenpeace record their data based on the types of material and whatnot that are used, so even though Nintendo use less fuel and resources than most companies, they are marked way down because of the types of plastic they use for the Wii and DS Lite.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
From what I heard Global Warming is practically over...
So there is no point in writing this thread.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Also, maybe Nintendo could help a little. When you say "YOU", you should mean everyone. It's like saying, "Oh, Nintendo shouldn't help because they aren't one of us." They're human, right? Right, so maybe they should help too, even if it is inconspicuous. Like everyone else on this planet, they live here. It is partially Nintendo's job to save the world. Maybe not as a company, but maybe as individuals.
Certainly, certainly.

The point of my post wasn't really that Nintendo should be granted the right to kick garbage into their favorite lakes every day just because they're not "us". The point was just that we shouldn't be focused on how much Nintendo (nor any other company) helps the environment since we can't do much to control that.

The same goes for just about anyone other than yourself, your family, friends, and maybe some neighbors. Your area of effect is only so big. Since I can't talk with the people at Nintendo face-to-face and beg for them to use cheaper plastics personally, what good does it do me to dwell on it? Basically, I just think we should focus on what we, personally, have control over.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Fonz

Smash Ace
From what I heard Global Warming is practically over...
So there is no point in writing this thread.
What the hell are you talking about? Maybe you're thinking about the ozone layer? Global warming is not "practically over". You are listening to the wrong people or not listening very well =)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
90% of statistics are made up on the spot. :)
and 95% of the time made up statistics are just as reliable as truthful ones.

But this information actually surprises me a little bit, nintendo strikes me as the type of company that would try and stay environmentally clean. I guess their new add campaign makes them look innocent. (by that i mean ow they are now aiming towards a larger group of people) plus nintendo is the type of company that produces the most games parents are OK with, and doesn't support ones like GTA, so i guess i assumed that they would try and be goody two shoes about other things as well.

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
THEY ARE GOING GREEN. JUST WATCH THE SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE COMMERCIAL AGAIN.

Anyways, wtf. We should all go green now? Ok, I'll walk to work tomorrow, so then I'll save gas, while everyone else in the world is ****ting up the planet??

Who cares. It's not economic.

(Btw, to the person who made the joke about Venus. Idiot, Venus has too much atmosphere.. not a big *** hole in it.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I hope that most of the "global warming is not real" posts in here are jokes!

Anyway, I'm not going to get into that, but I will echo all the people who say "who cares if Nintendo has not 'gone green'?" As long as they make good games, we'll let greening go to other groups.

Top Bottom