• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nicknames: What are the odds?

Lesheik

Smash Lord
When I first started Smash, I chose the (most random name I could ever think of that was kick-***) nickname Fly_Leaf. I've been using it for 3 months now and I didn't think it was taken because it was one of those names I didn't think anyone would ever think of. Well, I was wrong.. Two days ago I was drawing in class, working on a banner for my crew. This one girl thought it was a good drawing, but she noticed that the name "Fly_Leaf" was the name of a rock band! So she asked me, "You like the band Fly Leaf?" I replied "No, I never knew it was a band's name."

To all people that thought of a nickname that was kick-***, make sure the name is not taken! If you wish to represent the borrowed name to use as your nickname in Smash, feel free to! But to those that want to be creative with their names, make sure it's not taken!

The best way to check it by googling it! ;)

mario-man

Smash Lord
In matches I have a few:
JOJO, JMAN and a few others but I usually use: MRIO

Uck

Smash Journeyman
If you register the name here first you can lay claim to it.Theyll change there name once they know that a member on the smah forums has the same name.Or if a pro user has it.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Theres only one proper forum to discuss melee that is here in the smashboards I mean make an account here using the name that you want for your character that way It cant be contested by some random guy with the same name.Youd say hey thats my name and I am on the smashboards with that name first! lol Your allowed a one time name change if you get a premium account.

As for it being a band I think its funny as hell you ran into that prolbem.Do you like the band because I have never heard of it.

Metà

Smash Master
This is why it's better to just be given a nickname, because then it doesn't matter if it's original or not, because it means something to you and the people who call you it. I got the nickname 'frame guy'. To me, that's more meaningful than the nickname I gave myself, because they're referring to how I am a stats god. ^ ^

Miharu

Smash Hero
Came up with the name Hydro Kirby a few years back. Then when I went on GameFAQs to register (yes, I started my smash career at that hellhole), it was already taken.

So wtf, I had to come up with some stupid name. Then when it came time for SWF, Hydro Kirby was open ^^

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
thats why you name yourself gimpyfish in elementary school with your first aim name. then you are completely original and awesome.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
We Gadras have never run into someone else using our surname (given name, a different story). I don't think we'll ever have to worry about it.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
This is where my name derives from. I couldn't think of a name so naming myself became a "problem". I had to add a 2 because "Problem" was taken.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
lolz ryuker is a teleporation spell in the phantasy star series (trust me I have a lv 178 FOwearl.) ohh well i think Tonji is a name of some place in mylasia or something. I googled it and that is what came up. It is really hard to find an original name these days (minus gimps of course!)

AS Money

Smash Lord
This is why it's better to just be given a nickname, because then it doesn't matter if it's original or not, because it means something to you and the people who call you it. I got the nickname 'frame guy'. To me, that's more meaningful than the nickname I gave myself, because they're referring to how I am a stats god. ^ ^
i think mew2king would be THE stats god

Jarc

Smash Lord
TO THE CORNFIELD... BYAAAH!!!!!! (Montreal, Canada
My friend used to used the tag "SHIZ" for Shizblacka. But when DaShizWiz became a known player, he pretty much had to change his name as to not look like a copycat, lol.

I've had my name for a few years, and alot of my buddies call me Jarc. A few teachers we're calling me Jarc too >_>. It's kind of like my second name ~

tatsuha

Smash Cadet
my friends nicknamed me after an anime character and it stuck, but luckily it's not a very common japanese name so the only time i see it is in reference to the show. and not many people in america make their in-game name out of only the japanese characters it seems (after all, how many can read it?), so i think i'm safe >_>

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
well when i google i see tons of websites which have somewhere the word "MUGG". but who cares... ^^

Impp

Smash Ace
Impp means Instant Messaging and Presence Protocol when I googled it. It has been replaced by XMPP (Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol), so I'm good.
I think it's also a car stereo/speaker company. I think it's a cool name though. No one else who smashes has it, I think, and on most online games and shiz, it's open.

FYI: Fly Leaf is like a pop numetal band. They gotta chick singer. They got that song "I'm so sick", it was played on the radio for a little bit over the summer. They had a video too...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I have different nicknames because I can't decide on one. Red Exodus seems more permanent than my other nicks, I'll google it to make sure though.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Its weird, I took the name Superstar, and it was not taken, no one EVER takes that name, even though it is so blatantly obvious for a Mario fan to use.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
mine is completly original and taken exclusively and copyrighted from my mind:lick:

ElfenLiedPeach

Smash Journeyman
I've had this problem with pretty much ANY internet site I try to make an account on. No matter how clever I try to be, someone else already thought it up and made claim to it. When I joined this site, I tried to be simplistic and just use my first name, but someone already took that too '-_-

So to formulate my current name, I just took the name of one of my favorite shows, tagged a Peach on the end because I play peach, and *poof*, there's a name. Though for the four letter tags over my character, I don't use anything that has anything to do at all with my smashboards name. I tend to either make faces with Japanese characters (yeah, a lot of people do that too '-_-), or use actual hiragana for my real name. some people CAN read it >_>

Lesheik

Smash Lord
thats why you name yourself gimpyfish in elementary school with your first aim name. then you are completely original and awesome.
Totally, dude. :laugh:

One more thing: If you come up with a name that sounds awesome as hell, please be sure it's not taken! Names like, Dark Knight, Night Stalker, Smash Master, ect, are common names chosen by gamers..

I'm going to create a guide on how to pick names. ;)

Superstar

Smash Champion
Its weird, I took the name Superstar, and it was not taken, no one EVER takes that name, even though it is so blatantly obvious for a Mario fan to use.
How is it blatantly obvious?? Just curious.
Its obvious because that's what of the Starmen in the Mario series, and the title you get when you win in Mario Party.

As well, it could be a person of great fame.

Mrobinson587

Smash Apprentice
That's why I use my sn Mrobinson587 for any website that i use and then post my sig,

For the record i saw one person very cleverly use something to do with whatever their SN or nickname was

for example.

Superstar is the SN
for youtube it's Superstar Youtube
for Google it's Superstar Google
for AIm it's Superstar AIM

btw I made to go with my original crew where we all chose something to do with our favorite rapper but Josiah refused and thought that was stupid Biggies Smalls is where i got mine

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
i use the name chu12ch because saying it sounds cool... (chu-one-two-ch)... its church but just much cooler sounding... (what kinda sucks was making the 4 letter smash name... it was first chur, but then i realized that it looks like 'chu', even worse is i main IC's... i eventually landed on ch12 which i have recently started calling myself channel twelve)...

Oh and for our crew name, called ourselves the combat wombats, turns out its some band in australia...

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
I took this name from a character I would doodle often in grade school. As I sometime say to people who wish to contact me, my name is the same everywhere I go, which was exactly my intention. I am the only SuperDoodleMan on the internet.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
I took this name from a character I would doodle often in grade school. As I sometime say to people who wish to contact me, my name is the same everywhere I go, which was exactly my intention. I am the only SuperDoodleMan on the internet.
That's a cool name! SuperNoodleMan is probably taken though.. :(

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
High five for uniqueness SDM. I am also the only ihavespaceballs on this series of tubes.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
My name should probley be a little more original
Ace is my tag and what people call me
Ive seen like 3 or 4 more Aces just on Smash videos
but its to late to change my name
oh well

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Bloshi=anything smash-related (and Starcraft for some reason)
Flagan=MMORPGs
Personifiedman=signing up for not-fun stuff
Plasmacollision=every other game

And I have only three different passwords and their variations (almost fugue-like).

Top Bottom