• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm gonna be that guy here but the devs clearly have their rocks off about her, which, you know, to each their own, but it almost comes off as kinda insulting to fans of the whole team.
Completely agreed. There's a huge difference between "Not your grandpa's crossover" and "what the **** are you doing?!"

Honestly, I'm so cynical that I'd take a bland, corporate KR2-esque roster over what we're getting now.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
For those of us trying to remain optimistic about a game with a 2/10 roster

You know there's more to a fighting game than the characters, right? Like, this game's gonna kick ass with or without all four Turtles.
How do y'all look at honest-to-God the best showcase we've seen so far and immediately go full Debbie Downer over cuts? If this is how it's gonna be every day until release, count me out.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

You know there's more to a fighting game than the characters, right? Like, this game's gonna kick ass with or without all four Turtles.
How do y'all look at honest-to-God the best showcase we've seen so far and immediately go full Debbie Downer over cuts? If this is how it's gonna be every day until release, count me out.
This is also a crossover that cut loads of iconic vets for a demented old woman in a clear display if tone-deafness. I love the stages, but the character take center stage alongside them.

They had everything else perfect then they dropped the ball where it mattered most. Like, I can live with just 5 cuts, I can live with someone like Zuko being potentially DLC.

But this is inexcusible... Especially since loads of top players go their mains cut as well.

Go play your funny Guilty Gear grandma game, my money's gonna be spent Elsweyr.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This is also a crossover that cut loads of iconic vets for a demented old woman in a clear display if tone-deafness. I love the stages, but the character take center stage alongside them.

They had everything else perfect then they dropped the ball where it mattered most. Like, I can live with just 5 cuts, I can live with someone like Zuko being potentially DLC.

But this is inexcusible... Especially since loads of top players go their mains cut as well.

You gotta stop acting like it was a conscious choice between 11 characters and Arnold's grandma.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Not making Gertie didn't mean they'd magically have the resources to make 11 non-grandmas.
Its more that she's an example of the team's skewed priorities. Especially since, unlike Hugh, this was a character nobody was asking for.

Anyway,...

1694812987630.png

This guy HAS posted reputable information...

If this is the case (and Leo implies Mikey):

Lincoln: Has a stage to go with him
Catdog and Oblina: Keep rep for their franchises
Shredder: Story mode villain, in a game focused on adding villains

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Its more that she's an example of the team's skewed priorities. Especially since, unlike Hugh, this was a character nobody was asking for.

Anyway,...

View attachment 377770

This guy HAS posted reputable information...

If this is the case (and Leo implies Mikey):

Lincoln: Has a stage to go with him
Catdog and Oblina: Keep rep for their franchises
Shredder: Story mode villain, in a game focused on adding villains
I think that this actually is a leak for who is getting cut. Lincoln, CatDog, Oblina, and Shredder are the only missing veterans who are staying. At least we won't lose two whole franchises from the game if this is the case.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
No idea why Nick would sign off on this...

Anyway, now that Helga's website leak has been debunked, my guess is that the fighters from that Kevin image could be the ones that are gone.

For those of us trying to remain optimistic about a game with a 2/10 roster, here's the updated list thing:

Mikey/Leo: Donnie/Raph Use some of their moves
Sandy: No Evidence
Lincoln: No Loud House newcomers/Stage Theory (Keep an eye on Lucy's Showcase)
Hugh: Story Mode NPC - DECONFIRMED
Helga: Stage Cameo - DECONFIRMED
Powdered Toast Man: 1 Ren and Stimpy Stage, Toast Shine + Superhero pose in the duo's moveset,
CatDog: No Evidence
Oblina: No Evidence
Toph: No Evidence
Shredder: No Evidence
Look at all of that red... it's so ****ing over lmaoooo.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You gotta stop acting like it was a conscious choice between 11 characters and Arnold's grandma.
This isn't just about Gertie tho. Like, Donnie and Raph feels unnecessary if they didn't bother adding Leo and Mikey. Beavers feels unnecessary if it meant removing CatDog and Oblina. Azula feels unnecessary if it meant cutting Toph. Nothing on this roster make sense aside from arguably Squidward taking Sandy spot.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This isn't just about Gertie tho. Like, Donnie and Raph feels unnecessary if they didn't bother adding Leo and Mikey. Beavers feels unnecessary if it meant removing CatDog and Oblina. Azula feels unnecessary if it meant cutting Toph. Nothing on this roster make sense aside from arguably Squidward taking Sandy spot.
The point is everyone is using the one WTF character as the scapegoat for the characters that didn’t make it. Same thing happens every Smssh game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Keep proving me right about the Gertie scapegoating for all the good you think it's doing.
You can keep your objectively inferior game. I'll be having LOADS of fun in Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 this November.
The point is everyone is using the one WTF character as the scapegoat for the characters that didn’t make it. Same thing happens every Smssh game.
Every day, my disdain for Smash fans grows. They're the ONLY people I've seen be this obsessive over roster "slots" to the point that they're willing to blame one wacky pick for all the game's shortcomings. Duck Hunt got off easy compared to the lashing Gertie's already getting.

Baysha

Smash Ace
The way I'm seeing it, they wanna go all in on creating a new experience instead of just polishing what we already have. I'm even not saying that as necessarily a good thing or a bad thing or telling you to treat it like either, I'm just saying that the devs are doing a different style of sequels compared to something like Smash, where installments can often be iterative and being seen as a sort of "replacement" or "upgrade" to the previous game. As seen before, this game is changing up the mechanics a lot, overhauling grabs, removing projectile reflections, adding the slime meter, a whole host of changes and alterations that can make it feel like a whole different beast than the first game. Not better, not worse, just different.

And I feel that the roster is in a similar spot to the mechanics, just different. The developers had a choice between polishing what they had or making a completely new experience altogether. And with pretty much everything being remade completely from the ground up, the amount of effort required for these choices were much closer than they usually were. Why make the two turtles you already have over again when you can have a go at two completely new ones?

Plus, there being a new game doesn't erase the old from existence. If you really miss playing as a particular character, you can still just boot up the first game. I completely understand if you're sad because your favorite character was cut, and I totally get that. I'm pretty bummed that I can't play as some characters myself, but I don't think that should mean people should be throwing out a completely new experience entirely. You could find a new favorite in this game, or if you don't you can just keep playing the first.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Praying for ya my Aussie bro Mamboo07 Mamboo07

If at some chance Lincoln is in this game, I'll get it for that reason alone so that way we can face each other online with our fav characters.

I hope NASB3 will be a "EVERYONE IS HERE!". That'll make up for all of this.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Keep proving me right about the Gertie scapegoating for all the good you think it's doing.
You can keep your objectively inferior game. I'll be having LOADS of fun in Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl 2 this November.

Every day, my disdain for Smash fans grows. They're the ONLY people I've seen be this obsessive over roster "slots" to the point that they're willing to blame one wacky pick for all the game's shortcomings. Duck Hunt got off easy compared to the lashing Gertie's already getting.
I never had an issue with Duck Hunt's inclusion. They weren't coming at the cost of Pikachu or Link, and Smash cuts tend to be either super minor in the grand scheme of things (Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, etc) or super difficult to get back 3rd parties (Snake, nearly Cloud). That and unlike the Climbers, Duck Hunt was a memorable part of Nintendo's history amd actually a good Retro pick. Duck Hunt was a GREAT pick!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't wanna say "yeah, for sure we can throw out his posts" but uh... I've dealt with being a playtester for a game before, and the consequences of breaking NDA can be scary (not that I broke them, but I read the agreement). The fact that Blackimar so nonchalantly said "yeah she's out" could spell disastrous consequences for him if it's true. If I were in his position, my lips would be sealed. So either he's not telling the truth, information he has is outdated, he's received a go-ahead to talk about it... or he's just stupid.

I won't count that last one out but you do NOT mess with NDAs if you are not ready to face the consequences if you fail to keep up your end of the bargain.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don't write it off like that, your gonna let the game fail
Yes because we totally want a sequel where half the roster is cut out. Like whose decision was this to think this was a good idea?

Unless they pull an "EVERYONE IS HERE" next game. Consider me not interested (If Lincoln gets in, I'll buy it then for the reason I stated above).

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna say "yeah, for sure we can throw out his posts" but uh... I've dealt with being a playtester for a game before, and the consequences of breaking NDA can be scary (not that I broke them, but I read the agreement). The fact that Blackimar so nonchalantly said "yeah she's out" could spell disastrous consequences for him if it's true. If I were in his position, my lips would be sealed. So either he's not telling the truth, information he has is outdated, he's received a go-ahead to talk about it... or he's just stupid.

I won't count that last one out but you do NOT mess with NDAs if you are not ready to face the consequences if you fail to keep up your end of the bargain.
Or you're putting too much thought into this. At the end of the day this is a company that's used to producing shovelware, they clearly put zero thought into NASB's marketing and anything associated with it since they casually put in NASB 1 footage depicting cut characters and their voices with little thought of the reception, some could even classify this as false advertisement.

Don't write it off like that, your gonna let the game fail
Sorry friend, it's their money and if they're dissatisfied with a product then that's all there is to it. Especially when the game is selling itself for a steep price again lol.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I never had an issue with Duck Hunt's inclusion. They weren't coming at the cost of Pikachu or Link, and Smash cuts tend to be either super minor in the grand scheme of things (Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers, etc) or super difficult to get back 3rd parties (Snake, nearly Cloud). That and unlike the Climbers, Duck Hunt was a memorable part of Nintendo's history amd actually a good Retro pick. Duck Hunt was a GREAT pick!
He was, but tell that to people around the time of the ESRB Leak. People HATED Duck Hunt at first and treated their inclusion as some ungodly sin, even if they came around to them and eventually forgot that they exist.
Dark Pit would've been a better example, though. Of all roster scapegoats in existence, he probably had it the worst.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I will say that for me, Shredder is the strangest cut given the whole villain thing, but otherwise cuts just are not really something I have thought about, like at all. I probably would've mained him if I stayed with the first game, but since the second one's out I probably won't come back to it, at least for a good while.

So far I'm just most excited for the story mode (been on a rougelike kick since I finished Dead Cells), playing Donnie and Ember, and praying that you can still do the funny aerial light-down spike combos. I can't say I'll play it much unless the online scene is really active, because I currently don't have the means of getting to tournaments.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord

it's not the same for every game to be fair. These things have a lot of variables

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
My two cents as somewhat of an outsider.

Honestly, as someone who didn't like NASB1, I'm still pretty excited about this one. If the 11 cuts being speculated holds true, while unfortunate, I still think it's a decent roster overall.

Only 2 I'd trade personally are
Gerald and Gertie
. Mind you I'm not against their inclusion in the first place, I just have zero attachment to
Hey Arnold
and don't find the characters as very interesting choices.

However as someone who only cares for 5 of the included series to begin with (and didn't bother actually playing much NASB1 to get attached via moveset), the cuts sting less for me. That said I also treat it the way I do any other fighter; if the character can be sold to me through gameplay and characterization then I honestly don't care who it is or where they are from.

Am I excited for
Gerald and Gertie
? No, not really. But I'm open to seeing how they'll turn out. I don't care for Nigel or R&S as characters on their own, but in NASB2 I think they look fun, and they've got a charm to them with a lot of care clearly put into them.

It'll suck to lose fan favorites, and in some cases whole series representation, no argument there.

But looking at the updated mechanics, overhauled veterans, interesting newcomers, upgraded visuals, etc. I do think it's a fair trade given the short development time and modest budget.

If anything, I see this as opportunity for them to really overhaul and polish the cut vets to better fit how NASB2 plays. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I'd be disappointed for certain veterans to return simply as is. Again, minority opinion, but a lot of the movesets in NASB1 felt incomplete and somewhat bland or lacking cohesiveness depending on the character.

tl;dr - The cuts suck, roster could be a little better, but everything else being improved makes it fairly worth imo. Still excited and cautiously optimistic

topic change: 4 most wanted for a future DLC pack. No predictions, purely bias wants.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
My two cents as somewhat of an outsider.

Honestly, as someone who didn't like NASB1, I'm still pretty excited about this one. If the 11 cuts being speculated holds true, while unfortunate, I still think it's a decent roster overall.

Only 2 I'd trade personally are
Gerald and Gertie
. Mind you I'm not against their inclusion in the first place, I just have zero attachment to
Hey Arnold
and don't find the characters as very interesting choices.

However as someone who only cares for 5 of the included series to begin with (and didn't bother actually playing much NASB1 to get attached via moveset), the cuts sting less for me. That said I also treat it the way I do any other fighter; if the character can be sold to me through gameplay and characterization then I honestly don't care who it is or where they are from.

Am I excited for
Gerald and Gertie
? No, not really. But I'm open to seeing how they'll turn out. I don't care for Nigel or R&S as characters on their own, but in NASB2 I think they look fun, and they've got a charm to them with a lot of care clearly put into them.

It'll suck to lose fan favorites, and in some cases whole series representation, no argument there.

But looking at the updated mechanics, overhauled veterans, interesting newcomers, upgraded visuals, etc. I do think it's a fair trade given the short development time and modest budget.

If anything, I see this as opportunity for them to really overhaul and polish the cut vets to better fit how NASB2 plays. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I'd be disappointed for certain veterans to return simply as is. Again, minority opinion, but a lot of the movesets in NASB1 felt incomplete and somewhat bland or lacking cohesiveness depending on the character.

tl;dr - The cuts suck, roster could be a little better, but everything else being improved makes it fairly worth imo. Still excited and cautiously optimistic

topic change: 4 most wanted for a future DLC pack. No predictions, purely bias wants.
Timmy, Zuko, Otis, and Maddie Fenton if Oblina and CatDog come back. If not, nix Zuko and Maddie.

Even if it takes quite some time, let's say we get enough seasons of DLC to do it. Would you be okay with them overhauling vets and bringing them back in via paid DLC? I'm fine with it as long as they're all just as high quality as the rest. Let's say we get real lucky: 4 DLC seasons, with 2-3 vets coming back each time, and seasons 2-4 getting 5 characters each. Again, assuming all eleven are axed, which I'm not sure of.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Timmy, Zuko, Otis, and Maddie Fenton if Oblina and CatDog come back. If not, nix Zuko and Maddie.

Even if it takes quite some time, let's say we get enough seasons of DLC to do it. Would you be okay with them overhauling vets and bringing them back in via paid DLC? I'm fine with it as long as they're all just as high quality as the rest. Let's say we get real lucky: 4 DLC seasons, with 2-3 vets coming back each time, and seasons 2-4 getting 5 characters each. Again, assuming all eleven are axed, which I'm not sure of.
Yes, I would. Provided they receive some changes and get the necessary polish, I'd be completely fine with having veterans as DLC. I feel no differently about it than other fighters really.

Assuming all 11 are cut however, I do not expect to see everyone return. Ideally, they would, but newcomers will likely (and should imo) be the higher priority.

If we get at least half (and we'll be generous and round it up to 6) I would personally prioritize:

Lincoln - Face of a modern flagship series for Nick.
Leo and Mikey - We really should have all 4 turtles.
Catdog and Oblina - Fan favorite legacy characters/franchises.
Hugh - Fan demand got him in, so it seems a waste to immediately turn around and cut him.

Also realized I never posted my 4 choices. Sticking strictly to newcomers; Iroh (Avatar), Aska (from TMNT: Tournament Fighters), Tak (preferably based on the actual games and not the show), and Snap (Chalk Zone).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
  1. Either Dr. Hutchison, Heffer, or Ed Bighead
  2. Either Hugh, PTM, Oblina, or CatDog
  3. Either Kyle, Fanboy, Chum Chum, or Fanboy & Chum Chum
  4. Either Silver Ball, Admiral Bird, or Ebeneezer T. Squint

I'm not very decisive on this sorta thing lmao. Take your picks from my picks. Honourable mention to a Rango rep.

EDIT: OH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED THAT WHEN NIGEL IS LYING DOWN HE TEETERS LIKE A TURTLE ON ITS BACK THAT'S SO CUTE

Last edited:
Top Bottom