• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nice combo tidbits

kupo15

Smash Hero
It may not be something new but I think that Pit's moves flow together very nicely like Shiek did in melee. I believe I am on the verge of something good for Pit's metagame and combo ability. I will post everything here and bring together info from my other recent posts.

1. Jabbing is a great way to connect combos.
Whenever an opponent is falling from anything, when they are in range, do one Jab which will stun them and give you enough time to pull off a second move. Jab into grab is great to set up throw combos. You can also do this when they hit the floor or on the floor. It is kinda like WWF athletes picking up their opponent off the floor instead of waiting for them to get up.
At low damage, you can perform a falling Dair>Jab>throw/anything

*You may find that tapping down after a Jab helps with timing for the next attack. I don't know if this cancels frames in the animation**

2. Potential Jab lock??
At the moment, Pit has no Jab lock like Mario...yet. But a couple of moves have Jab/laser lock properties such as the forward tilt at really low damage. The problem with Ftilt is that there is too much lag to pull off another. The Fair however also has Jab lock properties but the landing lag is very small. Maybe this is way to Jab lock. I'm still testing.

3. Short hop
Pits short hop is very good. You can do a lot of combinations with it because every move except the Angel Ring and Arrows have virtually no lag while rising which allows for a smooth transition to the next move.
EX: SH rising Mirror Shield(don't hold B, Tap) to Angel Ring seems like a nice way to approach.
EX: SH rising Nair to Angel ring is nice.

4. Footstool
Here is a great use for stopping your upward footstool momentum. The result is a great combo that I believe IS a TRUE combo!!

At low damage,

EDIT:

*1. Dthrow/Dtilt
2.Do a full hop rising Dair (Two Dair's if you can)
3. Footstool (in air) into an immediate WoI
4. Dair
5. Continue with any ground attack. (Jab grabs, Up tilt/smash into Uair are nice)

If you manage to pull of a footstool at higher damages, follow it with an immediate WoI>Dair

I practiced on a Snake at 8 Percent

I don't see why Pit isn't capable of performing 0-death combos.
More to come hopefully..

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Number 2 could be one of the best things ive every seen for Pit keep up the work i wanta see this in action

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm not all for the jab-lock angle. For some reason I can't imagine any of Pit's moves working like this. But heck, if you can prove me wrong I beg you do. This would be an amazing add-on to Pit's arsenal.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea, I don't know if Pit can jab lock but some moves can do it, if you can pull multiple hits off fast enough. So far, I have only been able to get the first hit to lock them.

EDIT: I have been doing some testing with the Jab lock with no luck at the moment. If anything, right now it is a Jab Stall to give you time for another attack. Jab stall occurs at low damages only, below 40ish, and works with Fair, Bair (no sweetspot), and Ftilt.

The aerial Jab stalls can be used to follow up with a Jab>grab combo. Hopefully Pit will have a Jab lock someday, but even so, it wouldn't a solid tech to use.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
Ive looked around and cant find out what you mean by jab lock or jab stall

the other things though sounds amazing particualrly the rising Dair>FS>WoI>Dair>groudn attacks, youve been posting some good stuff lately, thanks

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks and your welcome. The Jab lock:
I don't know if you are familiar but certain characters can Jab lock (A button) like Mario. If Mario uses his first A jab with timing similar to Falco's laser lock, then the result is the same. It is harder for Mario because you have to follow them while Jabbing and timing correctly.

Pit however can't do this with his first Jab. But other moves at low percent can do this. Moves are Ftilt, Fair, and Bair (no sweetspot)
The problem is that I can't find a way to pull off consecutive Fair/Ftilt/Bair moves fast enough so the opponent doesn't get up.
I tried using WoI from the ground into an immediate fast fall Fair. Unless my timing is off, it doesn't seem fast enough. If L canceling was back, Pit would be able to do it because all of his Aerials have landing lag and he isn't heavy enough.
Sorry, I realize I was mixing together the Fair/Bair/Ftilt acting like Mario's Jab.

Jab Stall
What I mean by this is, since Pit can't Jab lock as of now, instead of knocking an opponent on the ground and waiting for him to get to his feet, you can increase the time it takes for him to get up by using Bair/Fair/Ftilt. This will give them the laser lock animation giving you enough time to land a normal Jab (A) which forces them to their feet for you to perform grab combos.
So you are Stalling the time it takes for them to get up with a Fair/Bair. Ftilt isn't as effective because of the lag of retracting the swords. I wonder if you can down cancel that animation..

Its a little confusing but I hope I explained it better for you! Thanks!

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
alright i think id understand that all if i knew what laser lock means, i kinda vaguely get it now though thanks, and sorry for being so ignorant haha

kupo15

Smash Hero
What do you mean? Footstool is when you bounce off of your opponents head. That combo works for when your opponent is in the air and you FS

Extended combo in the OP

kupo15

Smash Hero
very, I don't plan on integrating it, but "Jab Stall" could be. Here is an ex:
Somehow you knock your opponent with an Aerial. As you descend, you notice he hits the floor so you Fair him when he hits the ground making him unable to move giving you enough time to do a Jab>Grab.
Only works at low damage, very situational. Very true.

Oniryushizobura

Smash Rookie
I have an idea, though I am not sure if it can be considered a combo.

1.Grab,throw up, then jump into a...
2. Bair , and then use a second jump to chase them with a...
3: Fair
It seems to only be effective if they have around 24 damage, and getting the Fair in takes a little practice, though , I have managed to KO a Lvl 9 Ike using this, since we were both off of the edge by the time my Fair connected.

Archangel Nico

Smash Rookie
I totally agree, when I see an exposed opponent, ill try to do a couple of jabs and then I can decide what do do:

1) If shield is down: forward smash high %/ AAA low %
2) Shield is up: AAA and continue to hold it til it eats their shield

And short hop is great! I saw lmnz today at the tournament and he utilizes d-air out of short hop reaaaallly well,when I would normally try for a b-air which gets shielded much quicker.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree, when I see an exposed opponent, ill try to do a couple of jabs and then I can decide what do do:

1) If shield is down: forward smash high %/ AAA low %
2) Shield is up: AAA and continue to hold it til it eats their shield

And short hop is great! I saw lmnz today at the tournament and he utilizes d-air out of short hop reaaaallly well,when I would normally try for a b-air which gets shielded much quicker.
whoa whoa you're from san francisco? i thought you were from socal lol what the heck.

and for the d-air i love sh d-air -> u-tilt at 0-20%ish. it makes me feel warm inside when the u-tilt hits and if the d-air doesn't hit you can always DI away and land with no lag so you're a lot safer than with some other moves.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I can get the full hop rising D air, foot stool, WOI, but when I try to to the next Dair the person is laying on the ground and I can't hit with the Dair again am I missing something?

kupo15

Smash Hero
The timing of your WoI may be off. You kinda have to wait until they bounce off the floor then quickly strike. BTW they can not tech a Footstool if im not mistaken

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
K I thought my timing might be off on the WoI so it all needs to be right after then other as fast as the game will let you?

kupo15

Smash Hero
No not necessarily. This combo is a little situational because it depends on how high you are and what you want to do. If you want to Dair them from the sky when they hit the ground, then the timing of the WoI should be a little delayed, about a half a second. If you want to race them to the ground to pull of a F smash or something then, the timing should be ASAP.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
hmm yea i dunno sometimes i cant even hit with the footstool, i mean it sounds like a great combo and all, and im sure if i could do it it would be amazing but seems like alot of effort and perfect timing.... i will probably come back to it after learning some other things youve put out there like wingdashing

kupo15

Smash Hero
I understand, the Footstool can be hard because of DI and this combo is situational because it needs to be low damage. Even though it isn't really that hard of a combo to pull off, Wingdashing is better to learn first.

Top Bottom