• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It's very cool to see all three of these series included:
  • Hades seemed like the kind of thing that would've gotten a spirit event had it released a little earlier, so definitely nice to see here. One indie series in the same sphere as Hades/Cuphead/Shantae/Undertale/Shovel Knight which I'm surprised never got content was Hollow Knight.
  • Power Pros is very popular in Japan, so this makes sense. And is this the first Konami spirit since base?
  • 13 Sentinels is unexpected, but it's cool to see Vanillaware represented. Haven't played this one, but I love some of Kamitani's designs (Momohime and Gwendolyn in particular, before you get ahead of yourselves lol. Momohime just being something has been a pipe dream of mine)
However, what I'm getting from these events tripling/quadrupling up series when these all, in theory, could be their own events is that Ultimate on Switch seems very much like not the priority to the dev team, so much so they're truncating releases as to get them in with minimal number of actual events.

I mean, "Baseball, Machine Soldiers and Gods"? What's the throughline there? ...Ohtani? :laugh:

That's not a complaint; the fact that we're even just getting them is awesome and unexpected. It's just me trying to read between the lines.

Hades is dope but what gets me excited is that eBaseball is there. Weird I know, but I was kind of worried Konami might back out of next Smash and we’d lose Snake and the Belmonts but it looks like, if nothing else, they are likely going to be still involved.

Honestly though; new spirits, Switch 2 possibly on the horizon, new 3rd party Spirits? They’re preparing for something. I think that’s obvious.
I know it's reading too much into things, and yet I can't help but go "well, they've probably got base planned out for what's next, and I see they've recently been in talks with Konami, Sega and Atlus" 👀

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Konami - got a Spirit event
Sega/Atlus - got a Spirit event
Namco - is making the next game
Disney - Sora's getting an amiibo
Microsoft - a couple months earlier NoA's president said that they work very well with Microsoft, even getting Banjo in Smash. Wasn't it weird? Banjo in Smash is kinda old news at this point. And his amiibo is getting a reprint...
SNK - Terry's amiibo is also getting a reprint
Capcom - hell will freeze over before Megaman skips a Smash game

Yes. The plan is taking form...
(Go figure Square would be the one company that's MIA)

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Microsoft - a couple months earlier NoA's president said that they work very well with Microsoft, even getting Banjo in Smash. Wasn't it weird? Banjo in Smash is kinda old news at this point. And his amiibo is getting a reprint...

Fwiw I think the amiibo stuff isn't indicative of talks renewing for the next Smash, just an outcome of decreased priority in the timeframe of production, and complications arising from Sora's cumbersome legal situation.

Like, I think the amiibo stuff is happening independently and all the same without a new Smash being in development. Whereas these spirit events... probably aren't. I don't think amiibos getting restocked require renegotiation unless it conflicts with something specific in the contract.

I think right now it's only Konami and Sega/Atlus who have potential indicators. Plus Namco, but they're a given. Though Capcom returning is... basically a lock and I'd be shocked if Square didn't too. Though them just being DLC is plausible.

Overall I don't expect any of the existing third-parties would close the door on Nintendo. I think they'd be game to return. The hard part is done; the characters already exist, the negotiations were successful. Now it's on Nintendo to go reacquire them. Or not.

Hell freezes over, or they get bought by Sony.
Though if that transpires in the future, at this point it would likely not happen in time to affect at least base.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Fwiw I think the amiibo stuff isn't indicative of talks renewing for the next Smash, just an outcome of decreased priority in the timeframe of production, and complications arising from Sora's cumbersome legal situation.

Like, I think the amiibo stuff is happening independently and all the same without a new Smash being in development. Whereas these spirit events... probably aren't. I don't think amiibos getting restocked require renegotiation unless it conflicts with something specific in the contract.

I think right now it's only Konami and Sega/Atlus who have potential indicators. Plus Namco, but they're a given. Though Capcom returning is... basically a lock and I'd be shocked if Square didn't too. Though them just being DLC is plausible.

Overall I don't expect any of the existing third-parties would close the door on Nintendo. I think they'd be game to return. The hard part is done; the characters already exist, the negotiations were successful. Now it's on Nintendo to go reacquire them. Or not.
I was somewhat ****posting, but Sora's situation kinda reminds me of Cloud's. His amiibo also took forever to come out, and it was announced when negotiations for Ultimate would probably have been just about finalized iirc. Maybe the amiibo and the appearance in a sequel could have been a package deal of sorts?

Though, yes, there's not much reason to cut any of the guest characters, on either side. What worries me is that, even with most of the work already done and everyone more than likely entering negotiations for the next game with a good disposition (especially after Ultima's groundbreaking success), it would still mean negotiating with like... 10 external companies (assuming Mojang and Atlus operate indipendently from Microsoft and Sega, otherwise it's "just" 8, as opposed to Ultimate's 5), not to mention all of Nintendo's subsidiaries. For a single product it would probably be something completely unprecedented.

However I wouldn't even know how to approach which guest characters get to stay and which don't. They're all very popular in one way or another.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I was somewhat ****posting, but Sora's situation kinda reminds me of Cloud's. His amiibo also took forever to come out, and it was announced when negotiations for Ultimate would probably have been just about finalized iirc. Maybe the amiibo and the appearance in a sequel could have been a package deal of sorts?
Mmm... well when the amiibo was formally revealed, last September, it means that those discussions had began long enough beforehand that by September they already had the prototype. I think that would align with being acquired concurrently for the sequel only if that started... several months earlier in 2023. Which begs the question as to how early they 1) decided the roster/actually began development and 2) started approaching third-parties for licensing.

I'm somewhat skeptical that timeframe is accurate, especially over the idea that they would've always intended to make him an amiibo just like every other fighter, and it just took a while due to Square/Disney and the fact that Smash amiibos releasing in a timely fashion hasn't been Nintendo's priority in a very long time. I mean Pyra/Mythra only released last summer, over two years after being added.

I also question, and doubt, that Sora will be base. I do think he will return, but I think ownership-wise, DLC seems likelier. So whether he would've been acquired so far in advance, seemingly among the earliest (were it to line up with the amiibo)... that also feels questionable.

Though, yes, there's not much reason to cut any of the guest characters, on either side. What worries me is that, even with most of the work already done and everyone more than likely entering negotiations for the next game with a good disposition (especially after Ultima's groundbreaking success), it would still mean negotiating with like... 10 external companies (assuming Mojang and Atlus operate indipendently from Microsoft and Sega, otherwise it's "just" 8, as opposed to Ultimate's 5), not to mention all of Nintendo's subsidiaries. For a single product it would probably be something completely unprecedented.

However I wouldn't even know how to approach which guest characters get to stay and which don't. They're all very popular in one way or another.
Well what I'm saying isn't there's not reason to cut any of the guest characters, it's that it probably won't be due to the third-party company not be willing to participate. Precluding hypotheticals like a Sony buyout, I don't see any reason to expect any of them to opt out.

I believe the ball is in Nintendo's court. I believe if Nintendo's priority is to bring all the third-parties back, they'll be able to. I just don't think it's going to come to pass that all the third-parties will be prioritized high enough. I think the reason some will get cut is simply a question of time and resources.

This is assuming we don't just keep building from Ultimate. I don't think we will. But even if they reuse that base, I still think a bunch of the third-parties wouldn't return until DLC, partly because the profit breakdown is preferential to them that way and trying some base EiH with triple the third-parties of 4, including Disney, Microsoft and even more Square is just... not realistic.

And past third-party preference, it's also asking Sakurai to renegotiate 18 third-parties and however many new ones concurrently for base. So probably over 20, more or less at the same time. I mean all he had to do for Ultimate's base was bring back the existing 6, go to Konami, and add a Ryu clone. And that almost didn't come together. This would be over double that, all while still helming the rest of base development, and without even considering the budget. If all the third-parties do return (which feels very idealistic), it seems much likelier a handful don't return until DLC.

And fwiw it's more than 10 external companies. Oftentimes those listed in the copyright aren't the extent of those who participate in negotiation, like how Armor Project and Bird Studio are involved with DQ or how Rare was involved in Banjo's negotiations despite Microsoft being the sole legal owner of the IP. Companies often include the specific devs in negotiations like this out of deference to their actual creators. Sega does this with Platinum and Bayonetta, given Kamiya was the one to keep Bayo out of PxZ2.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think it wouldn't be super surprising if all the Third-Party characters came back. Being in Smash is a prestigious thing, And of course, all those companies would like to have their characters back in and then some. It's only up to Nintendo at this point.

Also, slightly inspired by recent Spirit additions, I made a Smash 6 base game roster that's the same size as Smash Ultimate's base as well as the same ratio of veterans to newcomers (65-11). Though I'm not sure if it would be this big, and there are some characters I'm a little more hesitant about being base game (Doom Slayer, Zagreus, previously added Third-Party characters), but who knows, we'll see. Also, for the sake of this roster, while I list Mio and Meowscarada, you can pretend Mio is Noah or Noah and Mio together and Meowscarada is another Gen 9 Pokemon if you prefer. I'm not picky on that. As well, while not present on this roster, Geno is the first DLC character. So what do you guys think?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think it wouldn't be super surprising if all the Third-Party characters came back. Being in Smash is a prestigious thing, And of course, all those companies would like to have their characters back in and then some. It's only up to Nintendo at this point.

Also, slightly inspired by recent Spirit additions, I made a Smash 6 base game roster that's the same size as Smash Ultimate's base as well as the same ratio of veterans to newcomers (65-11). Though I'm not sure if it would be this big, and there are some characters I'm a little more hesitant about being base game (Doom Slayer, Zagreus, previously added Third-Party characters), but who knows, we'll see. Also, for the sake of this roster, while I list Mio and Meowscarada, you can pretend Mio is Noah or Noah and Mio together and Meowscarada is another Gen 9 Pokemon if you prefer. I'm not picky on that. As well, while not present on this roster, Geno is the first DLC character. So what do you guys think?
I think I could be happy with a roster like that. It doesn’t really have any of my absolute most wanted but there are a lot of really solid choices that I still generally like.

Mio makes a lot of sense and I’d go with her as well if we got a solo rep from XB3. I still like the idea of the fusion as the playable but I’d still be happy to see Mio. Meowscarada is my favorite Grass starter in a while and the only S/V starter I like so it would be cool too. However, we did just get a dark type cat starter and this would be our third dark type starter in a row so I’d go with something else for variety’s sake.

Rauru makes a lot of sense to me as a Zelda rep since he was both important to the story and a great way to bring in the abilities from TotK without completely changing Link. Zelda is long overdue for another unique character since we haven’t seen one since Melee. I think either Raven Beak or EMMI could be great choices for another Metroid rep. That franchise has a lot of cool characters and it would be cool to see another completely separate character from Samus join the roster.

I really enjoyed Astral Chain and think Officer Howard would be a great choice for Smash. They have really interesting mechanics that could be really fun to play in Smash. My favorite character is Jens Anderson and I’d love to see her as well if we got a second character.

DOOM is another solid choice and the franchise has a great legacy. My top picks for Microsoft are the Battletoads, Fulgore, Illidan, and Kerrigan but Doomslayer looks like he’d be fun and unique. I’ve never played Hades but Zagreus has a cool design and he seems like he could be really interesting to play. Resident Evil is huge and I enjoyed both games with Leon so he’d be a fun choice too. I personally prefer a monster like Nemesis as the playable for the horror genre but I can definitely see the appeal of a protagonist like Leon.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I truly think that Ultimate changed how negotiations will happen going forward.

In Brawl it was kinda like, “oh Kojima and Sega asked so we put in Snake and Sonic”, Smash 4 they went out of their ways to build relationships with Capcom and Square and Namco to a degree because their system was essentially dead in the water, for Ultimate they continued that trend but on a MUCH larger scale, but now? Everyone and their mothers brothers wife’s father wants their character in Smash. The unprecedented marketing that comes with being in Smash Bros. I imagine will make negotiations pretty smooth sailing.

Sure, it’ll still require communication and cooperation and that’ll slow it down a bit but I can’t off the top of my head imagine ANY company being difficult about their character, not after Sora.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

raven beak and oatchi
:D

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I truly think that Ultimate changed how negotiations will happen going forward.

In Brawl it was kinda like, “oh Kojima and Sega asked so we put in Snake and Sonic”, Smash 4 they went out of their ways to build relationships with Capcom and Square and Namco to a degree because their system was essentially dead in the water, for Ultimate they continued that trend but on a MUCH larger scale, but now? Everyone and their mothers brothers wife’s father wants their character in Smash. The unprecedented marketing that comes with being in Smash Bros. I imagine will make negotiations pretty smooth sailing.

Sure, it’ll still require communication and cooperation and that’ll slow it down a bit but I can’t off the top of my head imagine ANY company being difficult about their character, not after Sora.
The only one I can think of is Sony due to console-related reasons, and even then they allowed Kratos in Fortnite to be a multiplatform thing.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Check this out, everyone! New spirit event is coming!
Okay, now I'm really all-in on more Ultimate DLC.

I can see Sakurai adding some spirits to reference Nintendo games post-Ultimate, even if I think it's a little odd. Sakurai going out of their way to license three new franchises, including one owned by a novel Corporate partner, to put into Ultimate is incredibly bizarre. Power Pros in particular is a big get due to how popular it is and how much historical importance it has in Japan.

Assuming there is a new Smash in active development right now, why deprive that entry of being Hades' first appearance in Smash, especially if Zagreus were planned to have a greater role in this new entry? One of the biggest concerns that a lot of people have about an Ultimate sequel is its inability to match the scale of Ultimate's crossover. This just makes the series' future more difficult if there is another entry in development. It'd be like putting Shovel Knight into Smash for Wii U and 3DS as a trophy in late 2017.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Oh yeah, its all coming together

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, yeah. You mention things that people forgot how to do, but most of that is because...they were from before people documented everything in existence. Academics and enthusiasts aren't going to let that happen to...art.

FFS, people still recreate ancient Greek pottery.

That's a completely different argument.

Arguing that AI is going to cause artists to lose their jobs is completely valid.

Arguing that AI is going to make humanity lose the ability to do art is nonsense. And is the argument I take issue with.

There's enough valid reasons to be against AI without having to make up nonsense ones.
First, Greek pottery still is not in the same kind of art we are talking about, or what I was talking about. I was talking about writing, animation, drawing/painting, voice acting, those things. AI here is not covering things like Greek Pottery.

Secondly, it is not a different argument. You just seem to want to exclude it for some reason. Plus, you are taking issue with something that is not a big deal, and with that said, the passion thing you said can only do so much to preserve skill. Besides, skill is taught, and what good is learning skills when you can only use them for hobbies and passion but not put them to good use like with a job? I don't think you are seeing what I mean here.

Listen, we are getting nowhere here, so let us just drop this, okay?

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Mmm... well when the amiibo was formally revealed, last September, it means that those discussions had began long enough beforehand that by September they already had the prototype. I think that would align with being acquired concurrently for the sequel only if that started... several months earlier in 2023. Which begs the question as to how early they 1) decided the roster/actually began development and 2) started approaching third-parties for licensing.

I'm somewhat skeptical that timeframe is accurate, especially over the idea that they would've always intended to make him an amiibo just like every other fighter, and it just took a while due to Square/Disney and the fact that Smash amiibos releasing in a timely fashion hasn't been Nintendo's priority in a very long time. I mean Pyra/Mythra only released last summer, over two years after being added.

I also question, and doubt, that Sora will be base. I do think he will return, but I think ownership-wise, DLC seems likelier. So whether he would've been acquired so far in advance, seemingly among the earliest (were it to line up with the amiibo)... that also feels questionable.

Well what I'm saying isn't there's not reason to cut any of the guest characters, it's that it probably won't be due to the third-party company not be willing to participate. Precluding hypotheticals like a Sony buyout, I don't see any reason to expect any of them to opt out.

I believe the ball is in Nintendo's court. I believe if Nintendo's priority is to bring all the third-parties back, they'll be able to. I just don't think it's going to come to pass that all the third-parties will be prioritized high enough. I think the reason some will get cut is simply a question of time and resources.

This is assuming we don't just keep building from Ultimate. I don't think we will. But even if they reuse that base, I still think a bunch of the third-parties wouldn't return until DLC, partly because the profit breakdown is preferential to them that way and trying some base EiH with triple the third-parties of 4, including Disney, Microsoft and even more Square is just... not realistic.

And past third-party preference, it's also asking Sakurai to renegotiate 18 third-parties and however many new ones concurrently for base. So probably over 20, more or less at the same time. I mean all he had to do for Ultimate's base was bring back the existing 6, go to Konami, and add a Ryu clone. And that almost didn't come together. This would be over double that, all while still helming the rest of base development, and without even considering the budget. If all the third-parties do return (which feels very idealistic), it seems much likelier a handful don't return until DLC.

And fwiw it's more than 10 external companies. Oftentimes those listed in the copyright aren't the extent of those who participate in negotiation, like how Armor Project and Bird Studio are involved with DQ or how Rare was involved in Banjo's negotiations despite Microsoft being the sole legal owner of the IP. Companies often include the specific devs in negotiations like this out of deference to their actual creators. Sega does this with Platinum and Bayonetta, given Kamiya was the one to keep Bayo out of PxZ2.
I think what's changed in a very significant way since the transition from Smash 4 to Ultimate has been Smash's position in general. The series was always beloved and has always sold very well, but Ultimate transformed it into the proper juggernaut it is today.
I think going from Smash 4 to Ultimate, most of the returning 3rd party characters were helping Smash out (the big big ones like Sonic, Snake, Cloud and Ryu in particular), especially in that peculiar moment where Nintendo's latest home console absolutely failed and the future popularity of Switch was uncertain at best. I mean it's not like they had something to lose, but they had most of the bargaining power.
Nowadays it's more mutual of a relationship. Ultimate sold like crazy and every time a character joins the fray it brings a ton of excitement and attention in a way that's unprecedent for something like this (how many fighting games could have opened the Game Awards with the announcement of a single DLC character and bring out the absolute madness Sephiroth did?).
And it's not just the super mainstream stuff, I believe Smash did a lot to boost Persona's popularity and to cementify stuff like Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie or Fatal Fury/KOF's standing in the gaming sphere (not that any of these series was ever unpopular, but they're more... let's say in hardcore gamer territory, compared to stuff like Sonic, Tekken or Final Fantasy - with the obvious disclaimer about DQ not being omega mainstream in the West only).
Maybe Square could scoff at Cloud and Sephiroth not being sold individually, but I'm sure they'd like for Dragon Quest to have continued exposure in the West through one of the most ridicolous (in a good way!) characters in Smash, and to introduce some other IP of theirs to a ton of new people via DLC, instead of selling the old characters again. Then again, they might also opt for short-term profit, so everything is up in the air.

But yeah, to put it short, I feel like Nintendo and Sakurai have a ton more bargaining power than last time around. We've seen it with Ultimate's post-game stuff, everyone actively wants to be a part of Smash now. No more Sega deciding to lend Sonic at the last minute and no more Sakurai twisting some arms.
In fact, they had to relegate stuff like Devil May Cry, Doom, Bomberman, Skyrim and Assassin's Creed to non-playable roles. That alone kinda says a lot about the reach they have imo.

However in order to keep everyone they'd have to talk to a ton of people, to pay for a lot of licences which Nintendo themselves might not want to do, to ensure the game will be profitable for themselves even with such a big amount of stakeholders involved... and of course every company needs to be on board. These are the biggest obstacles (outside of development itself), there's a ton of stuff that could go wrong, and rationally I know it's more unlikely than not... but not that unlikely either.
Discussions about the portrayal of the characters themselves shouldn't take that long I think? How much can they change from Ultimate?
In my opinion it mostly depends on what Nintendo wants to do, and if it's profitable to bring them all back.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you think future Smash games will skew further towards more third party picks compared to first party? I feel like it’s not unreasonable to see at least a 50/50 split between first and third party characters as far as newcomers go. I doubt they’ll ever make it to a 50/50 roster split as a whole and I like that they can still focus on their own smaller IP. Third parties definitely tend to drive the most hype from what I’ve seen though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Do you think future Smash games will skew further towards more third party picks compared to first party? I feel like it’s not unreasonable to see at least a 50/50 split between first and third party characters as far as newcomers go. I doubt they’ll ever make it to a 50/50 roster split as a whole and I like that they can still focus on their own smaller IP. Third parties definitely tend to drive the most hype from what I’ve seen though.
I think so, but mostly through DLC. The vast majority of third party additions have been DLC. Only seven third party characters were not added through DLC, and two of those were clones (those being Ken and Richter), so that leaves only five unique third parties that were not added through DLC, those being Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Simon. I'm expecting the next game to be the same, with most of the base roster newcomers being first party with a few third parties thrown in there and the bulk of the third party newcomers to be added through DLC.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel kind of bad because Nintendo is my favorite video game developer but there are very few first party characters on my own personal most wanted list. I feel like Smash already has most of the more exciting characters for me that have a reasonable chance of showing up. There are some I’d love to see like Jena Anderson, Medusa, Hyrule Warriors Impa, Gengar, Tharja, Nia and others but I feel their chances aren’t great. It’s also more exciting to me to see Smash get a brand new series because there’s a chance that comes with a new stage and lots of music we wouldn’t have gotten otherwise. A character like Toad or Waluigi probably wouldn’t give us anything beyond the character themselves. Not saying I don’t want them, just that I wouldn’t be as hyped.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I strongly feel people shouldn't expect a boatload of new ones. Yes, Ultimate added a decent amount....but mainly through DLC.
It will be interesting to see just how many return, let alone return for the initial release.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I believe it'll be probably be similar to what they've done with Smash 4 and Ultimate: the base game unique newcomer lineup will primarily focus on first party characters, with the occasional few guests like :ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultsimon:, while the DLC will be third party dominated with the occasional few modern Nintendo reps like :ultcorrin::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:.

also veterans assuming if there's cuts

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the more compelling factor in this conversation is how Microsoft has provided Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye and Jet Force Gemini for NSO. This represents a really big step for me, one where Microsoft is asking for very little in return to let Nintendo lend out legacy Rareware content. It tells me they're pretty serious about this relationship and particularly about keeping Banjo in the family. I'm certain that they'll continue to be involved with Smash.

Do you think future Smash games will skew further towards more third party picks compared to first party? I feel like it’s not unreasonable to see at least a 50/50 split between first and third party characters as far as newcomers go.
I think we'll see more than we typically have in the past on base roster, but I also believe this may be by proxy via additions from longer-standing series like Sonic and Street Fighter. I don't suspect bringing Tails or Chun-Li over into the roster would be that much more costly than having Sonic and Ryu there by themselves, seeing how they have to file the copyrights for those characters anyway for nonplayable content. Sure, there would be more conversation between the two parties on the best way to represent these characters, but Sega and Capcom are probably the safest and most willing participants outside of Namco - the one making the game. I think this branch of characters should be judged on separate merit than simply using up third party "slots".

Beyond this factor, I still expect only two or three new properties and/or companies. I think DLC is something they're more than willing to plan ahead for from the very beginning at this point, and that's where many of the bigger and more exciting third parties would likely land. Whereas I still suspect base game characters will be on the safer, more insular end with closely tied series such as Puyo Puyo, Ninja Gaiden, Monster Hunter and so forth.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
These new Sprits are quite unexpected. After the first wave happened I just figured they would focus on first party titles released after Sora was released but looks like they were much more. I'm starting to get the impression that something is going on behind the scenes.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Well, my expectations with the spirit events have been met at least. I wanted to see something that wasn't just obvious nintendo games that released since Sora, and these three are clearly that. Hope we get a few more grabbag spirits but I'm expecting the more obvious stuff from here on out.

It seems my original assumption that they'd shotgun these out until the sora amiibo patch drops is still correct, they're just interlacing them with what i assume are tournaments related to each smash game (starting with n64 last week). It's gonna be weird having them end after the amiibo patch, but eh it'll be a decent coda either way.

This also puts a swift end to my "but what if noah and mio not having a series somehow means something" theory (i say theory with a lot of sarcasm). Never expected anything from it but I don't see Zag getting on the roster (though i'd say that about all three of the series here)

Okay, now I'm really all-in on more Ultimate DLC.

I can see Sakurai adding some spirits to reference Nintendo games post-Ultimate, even if I think it's a little odd. Sakurai going out of their way to license three new franchises, including one owned by a novel Corporate partner, to put into Ultimate is incredibly bizarre. Power Pros in particular is a big get due to how popular it is and how much historical importance it has in Japan.

Assuming there is a new Smash in active development right now, why deprive that entry of being Hades' first appearance in Smash, especially if Zagreus were planned to have a greater role in this new entry? One of the biggest concerns that a lot of people have about an Ultimate sequel is its inability to match the scale of Ultimate's crossover. This just makes the series' future more difficult if there is another entry in development. It'd be like putting Shovel Knight into Smash for Wii U and 3DS as a trophy in late 2017.
I'm gonna be the guy who says that as popular Hades has been, I just don't know if it would necessarily be repped in smash any more than a spirit/whatever form the trophy system takes in the next smash. It's definitely weird that they're now putting third-parties they could've saved for Next Smash, but none of these really make me think "oh, why would they spoil that this is on their radar for maybe an at or music or whatever". I dunno, I'm taking these spirit events as evidence that they're just kinda getting the last few dropped connections they left on the cutting room floor in the game before they start plugging at a title that gets released in 2026 or maybe even later. If we see anything I could more realistically see as having a chance for a mii costume of something then I think I could more easily entertain a more dlc scenario. As for now... they're giving me just enough to keep me guessing while not enough to make me think it'll lead to anything crazy.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Listen, we are getting nowhere here, so let us just drop this, okay?
I always love it when people post a multi-paragraph response and THEN ask for the discussion to stop.

"I'd like this argument to end...but only now that I've got the last word in."

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you think they’d hold off for a character reveal for the huge third party series like Halo before randomly giving us a Master Chief spirit? I feel like a spirit beforehand would ruin a bit of the shock factor and hype for a character like that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel kind of bad because Nintendo is my favorite video game developer but there are very few first party characters on my own personal most wanted list. I feel like Smash already has most of the more exciting characters for me that have a reasonable chance of showing up. There are some I’d love to see like Jena Anderson, Medusa, Hyrule Warriors Impa, Gengar, Tharja, Nia and others but I feel their chances aren’t great. It’s also more exciting to me to see Smash get a brand new series because there’s a chance that comes with a new stage and lots of music we wouldn’t have gotten otherwise. A character like Toad or Waluigi probably wouldn’t give us anything beyond the character themselves. Not saying I don’t want them, just that I wouldn’t be as hyped.
I think I’m the reverse, I’d be more hyped for chibi-robo and Ashley mizuki robins than a lot of the popular third party pics.

but then again do we need every character to be hype? a few low key inclusions might do us good

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do you think they’d hold off for a character reveal for the huge third party series like Halo before randomly giving us a Master Chief spirit? I feel like a spirit beforehand would ruin a bit of the shock factor and hype for a character like that.
This last batch is pretty shocking in its own right, but none of these are touching the level of something like Halo. So yeah I don't think they would blow their load here if they're already planning on making that negotiation later, nor am I certain that Microsoft would want to do that themselves if they can work out a proper gangbuster reveal in a few years time. We're working on a lot of hypotheticals here, but the bottom line is I wouldn't anticipate it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Do you think future Smash games will skew further towards more third party picks compared to first party? I feel like it’s not unreasonable to see at least a 50/50 split between first and third party characters as far as newcomers go.
Ultimate newcomers was already 50/50. That ratio is probably going to skew more 3P as there are fewer popular 1P characters left to add.

I feel kind of bad because Nintendo is my favorite video game developer but there are very few first party characters on my own personal most wanted list.
Because, like, 60 of it's best ones are already in the game. That's nothing to feel bad about.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I doubt it. It really depends on how many hit games Nintendo will make.

Though in the end, I still don't think third-party will take top priority over their own, no matter how hyped they would be. They can include Waluigi, Banana Waddle Dee, Magnus, Isaac, and Takamaru anytime they want. That, along with whatever new characters that would be out at that time. Whether it be a new character from Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, or a completely new IP (probably all of them), Nintendo will most likely consider these characters first. You can even expect them to pop up as DLC.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Zagreus is in my top 10 most wanted characters so it’s really hype seeing him make it in Ultimate in some way.

On first party characters, I think there’s still plenty of unique and engaging picks to be had: Splatoon can double-dip beyond the expected Echo Octoling, Impa and Toadette are long-standing characters that have gained even more notoriety during the Switch era, Waluigi, Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee are staples in both speculation and their respective series and all three series have plenty more ideas for dark horse candidates as well. And that’s aside the usual suspects of “Newest Pokémon/Xenoblade protag/Fire Emblem lord” or, the other way around, iconic retro picks like Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter or Takamaru.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think Smash is really at a loss for new first parties right now. Even like, A or B-list exciting and popular first parties.

Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK all have stones unturned and are always welcome to expand on. Animal Crossing and Splatoon are really only just getting started in respect to building their casts, and have multiple compelling options each (enough to justify two newcomers, quite frankly). Xenoblade and Pikmin have noticeably grown and seen significant new releases with new faces. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are always building on themselves, obviously. All of these series (DK withstanding) have gotten brand new, highly successful releases on Switch.

That doesn't even touch upon new series like Ring Fit Adventure or Astral Chain, and then reaching into the back catalogue for popular dormant series like Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven. Your standard retro picks too. All of this provides us with pretty much as many options as we've always had, maybe a few less notable new IPs than usual but certainly a good well of series growth, new characters and old favorites to keep an eye on. Third parties are definitely a more prominent part of the conversation than ever right now, and although I've humored the idea of more of an even split I don't think we're there yet. You could squeeze at least like 30 great characters off the top of my head out of everything I've just laid out.

Waluigi, Toad / Captain Toad, etc.
Skull Kid, Midna, Rauru, Impa
Bandana Waddle Dee, Magolor
Dixie, Cranky, Funky
Tom Nook, KK Slider
Octoling, DJ Octavio, Squid Sisters, Off the Hook, Deep Cut
Mio / Noah, Melia? Fiora?
Oatchi
Meowscarada, Tinkaton, etc.
Alear
Ring Fit Adventurer, Dragaux
Officer Howard
Isaac
Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, etc.
Takamaru, Mach Rider, Excitebiker, etc.
[insert other unrepresented Nintendo series here]

And most of these aren't just muh recent character either. I think when people talk about first parties, they have that in mind and maybe throw a bone to Waluigi. To be honest, I'm a little exhausted at that lack of faith in strong longstanding characters which we always get in some capacity. The roster will probably include several characters introduced in Switch era but that won't be the whole thing.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't think Smash is really at a loss for new first parties right now. Even like, A or B-list exciting and popular first parties.

Mario, Zelda, Kirby, DK all have stones unturned and are always welcome to expand on. Animal Crossing and Splatoon are really only just getting started in respect to building their casts, and have multiple compelling options each (enough to justify two newcomers, quite frankly). Xenoblade and Pikmin have noticeably grown and seen significant new releases with new faces. Pokemon and Fire Emblem are always building on themselves, obviously. All of these series (DK withstanding) have gotten brand new, highly successful releases on Switch.

That doesn't even touch upon new series like Ring Fit Adventure or Astral Chain, and then reaching into the back catalogue for popular dormant series like Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven. All of this provides us with pretty much as many options as we've always had, maybe a few less notable new IPs than usual but certainly a good well of series growth, new characters and old favorites to keep an eye on. Third parties are definitely a more prominent part of the conversation than ever right now, and although I've humored the idea of more of an even split I don't think we're there yet. You could squeeze at least like 30 great characters off the top of my head out of everything I've just laid out.

Waluigi, Toad / Captain Toad, etc.
Skull Kid, Midna, Rauru, Impa
Bandana Waddle Dee, Magolor
Dixie, Cranky, Funky
Tom Nook, KK Slider
DJ Octavio, Squid Sisters, Off the Hook, Deep Cut
Mio / Noah, Melia? Fiora?
Oatchi
Meowscarada, Tinkaton, etc.
Alear
Ring Fit Adventurer, Dragaux
Officer Howard
Isaac
Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, etc.
[insert other unrepresented Nintendo series here]

And most of these aren't just muh recent character either. I think when people talk about third parties, they have that in mind and maybe throw a bone to Waluigi. To be honest, I'm a little exhausted at that lack of faith in strong longstanding characters which we always get in some capacity. The roster will probably include several characters introduced in Switch era but that won't be the whole thing.
I’m not denying that there are a lot of solid options left for first parties, just that a lot of my favorites that have a good chance are already in. Some of my remaining most wanted first party characters are dependent on which version of the character they go with like Impa or what their moveset is like Dixie Kong. I’m mostly just talking about my own personal preferences, not trying to make a statement that there are no deserving characters left. There’s also plenty of love to see that I don’t have a lot of confidence in like my favorite Pokémon or side RPG party members. Some of the more popular options would be cool but they don’t quite make my list of who I’d be most excited to see.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m not denying that there are a lot of solid options left for first parties, just that a lot of my favorites that have a good chance are already in. Some of my remaining most wanted first party characters are dependent on which version of the character they go with like Impa or what their moveset is like Dixie Kong. I’m mostly just talking about my own personal preferences, not trying to make a statement that there are no deserving characters left. There’s also plenty of love to see that I don’t have a lot of confidence in like my favorite Pokémon or side RPG party members. Some of the more popular options would be cool but they don’t quite make my list of who I’d be most excited to see.
I got you, it wasn't really targeting you or anything just responding to the general sentiment some people still seem to have about us reaching the bottom of the barrel. For what it's worth, there are a lot of first party characters I still want to see - Chorus Kids, Marx, Porky, Saki, Lip - but I don't have very much faith in them showing up. So otherwise the characters I'm most invested in for next game - Arle, Chun-Li, Sans - skew third party because that's what I think could still happen.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If we're talking the same Smash game, then nope. They seem to like catching fans by surprise. Adding things like spirits or Mii costumes would set up expectations and speculations that would obviously ruin the surprise and shock factor if the character were to actually get in. If they don't have any content, then they still have a chance of getting in. If they do, then their chances are slim to none.

Last edited:
Top Bottom