• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A lot of this is on a spectrum anyway. A Mario movie doesn't need to be Watership Down or anything, but having the emotional depth of a Shrek 2 doesn't seem like that much of an ask. The problem is that the film plays things extraordinarily safe. Can't have scenes breathe or do longer character bits on the slight chance a few kids watching might get a little bored, hence why the movie constantly moves on to its next scene and feels like its missing about 10-15 minutes that would have fleshed out the world and/or characters more.

Its a bit like the 2009 Star Trek; as a long time fan of the franchise it didn't really speak to the elements I liked in ST, however I understood the need to have a fun popcorn flick to please the mass audiences and give the IP some momentum again. Given the reputation of video game movies (and the disaster of the 1993 SMB adaptation) a very straightlaced story like the current Mario flick has does make sense to avoid potentially souring audiences (just look at the box office results), but if it does the same thing in any sequels or spin-off then the series has a problem at that point.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A lot of this is on a spectrum anyway. A Mario movie doesn't need to be Watership Down or anything, but having the emotional depth of a Shrek 2 doesn't seem like that much of an ask. The problem is that the film plays things extraordinarily safe. Can't have scenes breathe or do longer character bits on the slight chance a few kids watching might get a little bored, hence why the movie constantly moves on to its next scene and feels like its missing about 10-15 minutes that would have fleshed out the world and/or characters more.

Its a bit like the 2009 Star Trek; as a long time fan of the franchise it didn't really speak to the elements I liked in ST, however I understood the need to have a fun popcorn flick to please the mass audiences and give the IP some momentum again. Given the reputation of video game movies (and the disaster of the 1993 SMB adaptation) a very straightlaced story like the current Mario flick has does make sense to avoid potentially souring audiences (just look at the box office results), but if it does the same thing in any sequels or spin-off then the series has a problem at that point.
I don’t think the Mario ip was lacking in momentum

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don’t think the Mario ip was lacking in momentum
As a big franchise yeah it was doing fine. But video game movies (and Nintendo's general foray into letting Western companies handle their big IP's) had yielded very dubious results in the past, so doing a light popcorn flick was the most risk free move the company could have done.

Trek was overcoming a general viewership drop off in its movie and TV properties while Nintendo was overcoming audience/business skepticism about big budget VG adaptations, and in both cases a fairly safe movie was the result.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As a big franchise yeah it was doing fine. But video game movies (and Nintendo's general foray into letting Western companies handle their big IP's) had yielded very dubious results in the past, so doing a light popcorn flick was the most risk free move the company could have done.

Trek was overcoming a general viewership drop off in its movie and TV properties while Nintendo was overcoming audience/business skepticism about big budget VG adaptations, and in both cases a fairly safe movie was the result.
Indeed it was very risk free. In fact I think it was free of most things. Neither felt worth praising or getting upset about

yes such a shame trek couldn’t have just stopped

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not every character needs to be complex and needs a revamp. I hate this mentality so much.

For starters, I think it does a disservice to Smash's design for wanting every character to go through a revamp. Having simple characters like Link or Samus helps the player learn the basic mechanics of the game without needing some huge, complex tutorial. Take Link as he is for example. By the nature of having a disjoint, he teaches players spacing. Since you have a giant sword, you can learn to use it to your advantage. Or take Samus. Charge Shot teaches you both playing as and against her the strengths and weaknesses of zoners. Her CQC is not great, but it has to be with how much pressure one move can put out on her kit.

What you want to do just takes away from that beautiful simplicity. I understand wanting accuracy in movesets, but for the most parts characters do a passable job selling the fantasy of their character or what they represent. Link is the versatile adventurer who can play multiple different styles at once. Samus is the bounty hunter under attack on all sides and has to keep her space from her enemies. Zelda is the glass cannon sorceress. Revamping a character for the sake of a revamp for greater canonical accuracy just misses everything great about these movesets. Not every single move in a character's moveset needs to be a one to one reference. Canonical accuracy is fine, but the greater priority is selling the fantasy of the character. Not every character can be Mega Man or Steve, nor should they be.

Even going beyond that, massive revamps are also alienating in general. You do not want the players who previously mained the characters to have to enter unfamiliar territory. The beauty of a character like Link is in spite of his modernizations, he still is at his core a very similar character to the one we saw in Smash 64. If someone has not played since Brawl or so, they have that familiar character to fall back to. Hard reworking a character just risks alienating people for the sake of appeasing a vocal minority. If you want a great example of this thought process taken to its natural conclusion, look at Overwatch. That game hard reworked multiple characters and the entire cue system in order to appease a very small vocal competitive minority. This alienated tons of fans. That was with a game that had a far more active balance team, a more engaged community with the competitive scene, and a clearer link of communication with the devs.

Now imagine that in Smash, which has a far larger casual reach, has a tenuous relationship with its competitive scene, and does not have the same transparency with balance. Even if these reworks happened between games, it would be alienating to the wide swath of casual fans who play Smash. The average Smash fan is not someone who is on this site or frequents any Smash related area. They are just people who bought this game because it is a fun multiplayer game. Do you think they care at all if Zelda gets a rework to feel more canonical? What about the several players who play Samus, do they "need" a hard rework for her to change? No, no they do not.

Sometimes, reworks are needed. Bowser was nonviable for two straight games in a row and needed a fix. Ganondorf needed some changes before Ultimate and still arguably needs changes to this day. But you do not need to hard revamp that much of the game's roster. Most of the characters in Ultimate have reached the bare minimum for viability. Most of the cast sells the fantasy of why you would play as them. We do not need to turn every character into Mega Man in a vain attempt to please a very vocal, tiny minority of the fanbase.
You're no fun.

Also this is why I feel some characters should just get access to two movesets. Maybe only the original 8 or so? Or a few extra. Like this Link example here, why not add TotK Link and have a classic Link as his "Echo". In general I think this would be fun for a lot of characters.

Another idea I had is charged moves fusing with other Specials. For example DK, and his neutral B Giant Punch. Why not let this move also impact his Down B? Making it a super strong earthquake type of move with lots of damage, added range, armor and hitstun. Could also just be a DK buff / revamp on it's own of course.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
It does if the game's whole identity is surrounded and defined by said tech and exploits.
This was already addressed well, so I'll keep it brief in that that's not how it's defined outside of high-level competitive play, which is a tiny sliver of the total audience. Most people define it as Gamecube's Smash game, the fast one with the purple menus, adventure mode, and all those clones.

Also using Melee as the best selling title on Gamecube as evidence for casual-acceptance holds not much water when Gamecube itself and install-base is very shallow with 21 million especially compared to the competition and against the Wii's whopping 101 mil.
I don't think you grasp how many casuals there are in an audience of 21 million.

More over, Melee sold, I think, around 8 million, which is a number you won't easily reach without a very large casual contingent.

Casual Nintendo fans, a big maybe. The casual gaming market overall, very unlikely.
No, not very unlikely. Melee is a testament that it's not very unlikely. A game that sells ~8 million has a large casual audience.

I do believe Brawl went bit too far in the casual approach in especially terms of controls and gameplay and 4 and Ult do a much better job striking that balance, Sakurai was correct in that Brawl need to appeal more to Wii's audience especially that time, ultra casual gamers were now apart of the mix, not just Nintendo diehards.
But the numbers don't bear out Melee's gameplay being prohibitive to casuals. What Smash's numbers indicate is the primary factor in sales potential is simply the install base of the system. 64 excluded, it's Ultimate first, Brawl second, 3DS third, Melee fourth and Wii U fifth. But Ultimate is faster than Brawl.

I think there's a flaw in the logic that, after seeing Melee sell very well for the platform it was on, concluding casuals for some reason require the gameplay to be slowed down. Eliminating the accidental tech and exploits I get, being that it wasn't a deliberate choice in the first place.

I don't think Brawl would've sold much different if it was just Brawl but with Melee's playstyle. Because I don't think Brawl is much more accessible at low-level play, which is where most of the casuals are. Yes it's slower and floatier, but it's not like Melee is so fast as to be impenetrable. It was also designed to be casual-friendly, Sakurai wouldn't make a Smash game that wasn't. Again, the ground level of both is highly accessible, Melee's ceiling is just higher.

Maybe it's because it isn't like other fighters or even an fighter in the first place. They did hammer home since from the beginning through marketing and game design to be an action-party game than an actual fighter.
But what is the downside of throwing the competitive community a bone? They don't have to change the game or the marketing, they don't have to shun the casual side, the competitive side grew out of what is already there. It's not like they'd need to promote a mod. It's just one demographic of their own game.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I'm not saying they shouldn't add anything to the characters or story at all since this is a movie we're talking about. But there's also the concern about how accurate the series is portrayed and Super Mario has always been a pure, colorful, action-adventure series with a very simple plot that's easy to follow. Even when there were times where they tried to shake up some things other games like the RPGs, there were just a few here and there and even those weren't that deep. So maybe a few things for the characters for the sake of the movie but not too detailed that it might give off the wrong impression of the series itself.
Giving the characters slightly more depth is a far less dramatic change than actually letting them speak in full sentences that sound almost nothing like their in-game counterparts.

I believe you said you hadn't seen the movie yet (and perhaps you should before speaking with the authority of someone who has), so I won't go into the plot, but they change other established things from the Mario universe as well. Just fleshing out the characters in a way that abides by their existing personalities isn't such a monumental paradigm shift that every alteration to that point was fine but this now is too unfaithful to the IP.

It's a movie, deliberately adhering to shallow characters isn't a virtue. If anything, the less defined they were previously, the more room for creation without infringing on established traits. It's not exactly going to turn the plot into some Game of Thrones-level labyrinth or some Shakespearean tragedy. It's just recognizing other companies better at writing these kinds of movies have already accomplished these things, and it was a weakness of the Mario movie's.

It would be a bad thing if somebody came from watching a Super Mario movie, thinking it has a deep story and deep characters that people could get caught up in, only to play something like the 2D Super Mario Bros. games after that and finding out that they're nowhere near close to that.
You're still missing the point that different mediums carry different expectations based on their contrasting priorities. In movies, the parameters are conducive to greater characterization than in games. Because writing is more central in movies than in video games.

Which means bad writing in a movie will mean more, but it will also mean that people aren't going to boot up Mario Kart expecting a russian novel because they watched a Mario movie. People understand the difference in mediums and genres. To many, video games are just people shooting each other, wasting time on their phone or running from point A to point B. And to those who know more about games, they know what to expect out of them versus movies.

You're not giving these hypothetical people who didn't know Mario, saw the movie, then expected like... a Naughty Dog game very much credit.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Giving the characters slightly more depth is a far less dramatic change than actually letting them speak in full sentences that sound almost nothing like their in-game counterparts.

I believe you said you hadn't seen the movie yet (and perhaps you should before speaking with the authority of someone who has), so I won't go into the plot, but they change other established things from the Mario universe as well. Just fleshing out the characters in a way that abides by their existing personalities isn't such a monumental paradigm shift that every alteration to that point was fine but this now is too unfaithful to the IP.

It's a movie, deliberately adhering to shallow characters isn't a virtue. If anything, the less defined they were previously, the more room for creation without infringing on established traits. It's not exactly going to turn the plot into some Game of Thrones-level labyrinth or some Shakespearean tragedy. It's just recognizing other companies better at writing these kinds of movies have already accomplished these things, and it was a weakness of the Mario movie's.

You're still missing the point that different mediums carry different expectations based on their contrasting priorities. In movies, the parameters are conducive to greater characterization than in games. Because writing is more central in movies than in video games.

Which means bad writing in a movie will mean more, but it will also mean that people aren't going to boot up Mario Kart expecting a russian novel because they watched a Mario movie. People understand the difference in mediums and genres. To many, video games are just people shooting each other, wasting time on their phone or running from point A to point B. And to those who know more about games, they know what to expect out of them versus movies.

You're not giving these hypothetical people who didn't know Mario, saw the movie, then expected like... a Naughty Dog game very much credit.
I actually plan on watching the movie this upcoming weekend now that it's available to watch digitally.

Different mediums may carry different expectations but when it comes to adaptations, it's going to be drawing attention of fans from that other media and these fans will come with expectations based on their experiences with that series from that other media. So with the Mario movie, I'm not sure exactly what people expected as far as writing goes but anytime I hear about that, I'm thinking "Is Mario even known for its writing?"

And it's not about people not knowing anything about Mario but rather, people thinking there's more to Mario based what they see in the movie when there's not. Adding some things is okay but if they add too much to the point that it gives off the wrong impression of the series, then it becomes a problem. Being a movie is not an excuse for that. In fact, stuff like that could end up splitting up the audience and then it becomes a question of are they appealing to the long time Mario fans who experienced the series from the games? Or are they appealing to new fans who only just know about Mario from the movie?

But anyway, like I said, this weekend, hopefully I'll finally get a chance to watch it.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
You're vastly overestimating how many people are in the competitive side of Melee. The reality is Melee is still a casual appealing game first and foremost and the main reason to pick Brawl over Melee is that it just offers more than Melee does. Casuals care that it has Sonic and Wario and Snake and a robust single player mode with cutscenes and (limited) character interactions and small demos of old games where Melee doesn't have any of that.

Melee only has an overwhelmingly majority competitive appeal now because it's an old ass game with mechanics and a game feel that the comp crowd greatly enjoy but when it was new on the market it was a huge casual appealing game even with the comp scene growing alongside it.
Yeah, that my point, Brawl has stronger appeal on casuals due to the features and changes it did to appeal to it. Character choices included. Those are still things Brawl has over Melee.

And i did say that later titles did manage the casual aspect much better than Brawl so ofc sales numbers will reflect that. Idk why you needed to bring that up. That "casual" side of Melee were paltry numbers to begin with relatively and, they have mostly, not all, dried up in today's age.

Most people define it as Gamecube's Smash game, the fast one with the purple menus, adventure mode, and all those clones.
No they don't. It's defined as the "Wombo Combo, Happy feet, Wavedashing, 1v1 Fox Only Final Destination" game with clones as most casuals and competitive define it with memes galore. Brawl is the on defined with adventure mode with Subspace Emissary as always on being brought up.

Doesn't help either than Melee's Adventure mode was just suped-up Classic Mode with a few stages inbetween

I don't think you grasp how many casuals there are in an audience of 21 million.

More over, Melee sold, I think, around 8 million, which is a number you won't easily reach without a very large casual contingent.
I don't you grasp how compared to the competition's 151 million and it's successor's 101 mil, that 21 million means absolutely nothing. Especially that the Gamecube is one of Nintendo's weakest-selling console only beaten the Wii U and the Wii was the hiting and becoming popular with demographic of typical non-gamers, the most casual of audiences, which was key to its success. Again, Causal Nintendo fans, maybe with Melee but Causal Gamers overall, not at all.

Not only did only Brawl sell more but it sold faster becoming the best selling singular Smash title until Ultimate which helps to weight to Sakurai's choices. Again, Brawl did went too far in the other direction and later games manage the balance of casual and competitive much better but Melee isn't perfect either, in fact it was rushed to launch. With unintentional expliots, glitches and the surrounding culture and identity as the competitive tryhard game, changes definitely need to made if one touch like hyper-casual market that was the Wii market

But what is the downside of throwing the competitive community a bone? They don't have to change the game or the marketing, they don't have to shun the casual side, the competitive side grew out of what is already there. It's not like they'd need to promote a mod. It's just one demographic of their own game.
A better question is what do have to gain from doing so? Nintendo is business first and foremost and the competitive side is severe minority not even hitting the 1% so no real business. Don't help too the competitive side are quite hostile to big N regardless.

And now as the cesspool it has become since 2020, doing so nowadays would be more of a net negative than anything.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Just beat Tears of the Kingdom...

If Ganondorf stays the same Falcondorf next Smash I am going to CRY.
Same man, it'd be a mockery of the king if Ganondorf's moveset doesn't change after his glorious return in TotK. I lost a bit of hope for Falcondorf changing after Ult didn't move the needle with him, but TotK revived some of that lost hope and made me optimistic for the future.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The Revised Brawl thread got me thinking; if you could revise Brawl in any way, how would you? For me, the characters:
Italics denotes unlockable characters
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Yoshi
  6. Wario
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Link
  10. Zelda / Sheik
  11. Ganondorf
  12. Toon Link
  13. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
  14. Kirby
  15. King Dedede
  16. Meta Knight
  17. Fox
  18. Falco
  19. Wolf
  20. Pikachu
  21. Jigglypuff
  22. Pokémon Trainer
    • Totodile
    • Grovyle
    • Charizard
  23. Lucario
  24. Ness
  25. Lucas
  26. Captain Falcon
  27. Ice Climbers
  28. Marth
  29. Ike
  30. Mr. Game & Watch
  31. Pit
  32. Olimar
  33. R.O.B.
  34. DeMille
  35. Snake
  36. Sonic

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The Revised Brawl thread got me thinking; if you could revise Brawl in any way, how would you? For me, the characters:
Italics denotes unlockable characters
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Yoshi
  6. Wario
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Link
  10. Zelda / Sheik
  11. Ganondorf
  12. Toon Link
  13. Samus / Zero Suit Samus
  14. Kirby
  15. King Dedede
  16. Meta Knight
  17. Fox
  18. Falco
  19. Wolf
  20. Pikachu
  21. Jigglypuff
  22. Pokémon Trainer
    • Totodile
    • Grovyle
    • Charizard
  23. Lucario
  24. Ness
  25. Lucas
  26. Captain Falcon
  27. Ice Climbers
  28. Marth
  29. Ike
  30. Mr. Game & Watch
  31. Pit
  32. Olimar
  33. R.O.B.
  34. DeMille
  35. Snake
  36. Sonic
The which? Which wich! Oooo sandwiches...

And who is demille?

I would miss Squirtle, actually all the PT taunts rocked imho.... In fact taunting was funner , online taunt parties were amazing and I think smash online was and is the best part of smash. Haha no not really. I raged more than I did when I was a kid and couldn't beat Death in Castlevania, **** couldn't even get to him. "You gotta get the 3 dude" F I know! "Look out it's the " shup up! X.X Doodoodoo doo doo doo doodooooooo

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The which? Which wich! Oooo sandwiches...

And who is demille?

I would miss Squirtle, actually all the PT taunts rocked imho.... In fact taunting was funner , online taunt parties were amazing and I think smash online was and is the best part of smash. Haha no not really. I raged more than I did when I was a kid and couldn't beat Death in Castlevania, **** couldn't even get to him. "You gotta get the 3 dude" F I know! "Look out it's the " shup up! X.X Doodoodoo doo doo doo doodooooooo
demille is the main character from a Japan only game called tomato adventure which was the foundation for the first Mario and Luigi

Stratos

Smash Ace
I love love the new Pokémon anime series Pokémon Horizons, but because I was used to the rivalry between Ash's Pikachu and Team Rocket's Meowth, I'd like Team Explorers to get a Captain or Commander or General Meowth as a worthy opponent to Captain Pikachu. Of course I'm writing this whole thing for such a nostalgic reason and it's been two months since we said goodbye to Ash and his Pikachu as well as their enemies Jessie, James, Meowth and Wobbuffet.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I love love the new Pokémon anime series Pokémon Horizons, but because I was used to the rivalry between Ash's Pikachu and Team Rocket's Meowth, I'd like Team Explorers to get a Captain or Commander or General Meowth as a worthy opponent to Captain Pikachu. Of course I'm writing this whole thing for such a nostalgic reason and it's been two months since we said goodbye to Ash and his Pikachu as well as their enemies Jessie, James, Meowth and Wobbuffet.
Wobbuffet just joined them in my playthrough :202: I'm so excited!

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I've decided that the best idea for a symbol for the River City series is the dodgeball.

Kunio is the captain of his high school dodgeball team and it's been featured in most the sports titles in the Kunio-kun series every since the Japanese title of Super Dodgeball.

I also just realized that that "fiery meteor" that I mentioned a while back when I brought it up was in fact the dodgeball. lol

EDIT: Okay, I just realized that the fiery meteor image is part of the logo for Nekketsu High School, which is the school Kunio attends. So it really is a separate image from the dodgeball logo. So the Nekketsu logo is a much more fitting symbol for the River City series.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know something I just realized?
Next Smash has the perfect opportunity for a stage reskin.

Instead of a Zelda-2 inspired Temple that is for some reason now a sky island...

They could use the Temple that is actually canonically on top of a sky island.
1684806984124.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so i had an idea for a game we could play. say if every dlc costume had come with a music track what would you want the tracks to be? and i don't just mean from unrepped series.

for example, the ancient armour, guardian battle theme. team rocket outfit, team rocket battle. tails, believe in myself. chcocobo hat, chocobo theme. aerith, original aerith's theme. octoling wig, octoling encounter. judd hat, inkopolis news. callie, bomb rush blush. marie, tide goes out.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
IMO, Kirby needs a remake more than Luigi does.
Not really kirbys moveset while based on older stuff atleast is based on stuff he actually does with luigi 3 Specials are made up in some way:
(Fire balls arent green, the block punch and Luigi Rocket are fully smash original)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not really kirbys moveset while based on older stuff atleast is based on stuff he actually does with luigi 3 Specials are made up in some way:
(Fire balls arent green, the block punch and Luigi Rocket are fully smash original)
Luigi's Fire Ball is based on the green fire balls from Mario Bros...the game that Nintendo considers Luigi's official debut.

It has every reason to be on his moveset.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
"Nintendo vs. Capcom" seems like the most overrated idea for a Capcom Versus game in the same level as SEGA and Shonen Jump.
Why not Nintendo vs. King Features, now thats a true dream match.

Troykv

Smash Master
"Nintendo vs. Capcom" seems like the most overrated idea for a Capcom Versus game in the same level as SEGA and Shonen Jump.
To be fair, is Capcom's thing to do "Vs" games, it's a logical place to go in a Nintendo space where people also like Capcom games.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Because people actually WANT Nintendo vs Capcom to happen. They both have IP catalogues that compliment each other surprisingly well in a crossover.

Also, does anybody even care about King Features? I don't even know what those guys have made...

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Also, does anybody even care about King Features? I don't even know what those guys have made...
And nobody cared about any Tatsunoko anime that wasn't Speed Racer nor Samurai Pizza Cats back when TvC was released in the west (well, aside of Italy, where Tatsu shows from the 70s and 80s were popular)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
last time i try and get a game going here

what's king features? would we be fighting king charles' face?

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, which characters might have their final smash changed for the next smash game?
Also, which mii costumes might get an upgrade to fighter? You don't have to answer this one since this question is a can of worms to some.
Screenshot_20230523_171938_YouTube.jpg

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The main Nintendo Vs. game I’d love to see is Nintendo Vs. Microsoft, particularly if the Activision/Blizzard deal goes through. The two console developers seem to be on good terms and each has a huge library of iconic games and characters. RARE would be a cool link between the two companies given their history with Nintendo. It would also give us Mario Vs. Crash Bandicoot, which was a cool rivalry in the early PS1 days with that Crash commercial calling out Mario. It would also be cool to see the universes of StarCraft and Metroid cross over as well as WarCraft and Zelda which this game could give us.

For Capcom, I’ve always wanted to see a Street Fighter Vs. Mortal Kombat game. They’d have to tone down the violence for the MK characters but they’ve already done that with Injustice. SF and MK were the two biggest fighting series from back in the 90’s and each has several films and animations.

Another crossover that would be cool to see is Marvel Vs Shonen Jump or Marvel Vs. DC. I’d also love to see a huge anime and manga crossover with characters from various companies not just limited to Shonen Jump.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, which characters might have their final smash changed for the next smash game?
Also, which mii costumes might get an upgrade to fighter? You don't have to answer this one since this question is a can of worms to some.
Final Smash changes: I'm not sure. Samus might get a visual change based on the ending of Metroid Dread, but I think the concept of the final smash would stay the same. I haven't played enough of Tears of the Kingdom to know if Ganondorf would get revamped or not, but if he or Zelda are changed to reflect that game, then maybe their final smashes will be different?

I'm not sure if Chrom or Young Link are returning, but if they are, then maybe Robin and Young Link's final smashes could change. (Robin's could involve someone other than Chrom, while Young Link's could involve the Fierce Deity - it would be a cosmetic change, and behave identically to the previous one, but I think it would make it more interesting)

---

Mii costume promotions: I'd like to think that Dante or Doomguy would stand a chance, though they're up against stiff competition. I'm not sure if Doomguy would be picked for a third Microsoft character, especially if their purchase of Activision-Blizzard goes through. (maybe he'd get in over Master Chief, considering that Doomguy is the one who made it into Smash, but with Activision-Blizzard, there's Crash to consider at the very least) Likewise, there are a LOT of potential Capcom characters to choose from. (Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, a Resident Evil character like Jill or Leon, Amaterasu (I can dream, darn it!), etc.) Still, they got into Smash as Mii costumes, and their popularity was acknowledged, so maybe they will get into a future instalment.

I'd like to think that Bomberman, Shantae, Travis Touchdown, or Sans could be promoted, though I don't know how realistic that would be.

As far as first party characters go, I'd love to see Isaac (though he'd be more of an assist trophy promotion) or Octoling (though it would presumably be the one from Octo Expansion, not the enemies from story mode) get promoted - Octoling feels extremely likely, since they're popular enough to get a whole DLC expansion based on them and they'd play identically to the Inkling.

(EDIT: I'd love to see Geno in, but I don't think he's super likely at this point. It would require Square-Enix to prioritize a Mario spin-off character that they inexplicably own over a Final Fantasy character, 2B, Lara Croft, etc., and it would require Nintendo to acknowledge Mario RPGs in other games when they barely do that with the Mario RPG characters that they fully own. You don't see Vivian in Mario Kart or Fawful in Mario Tennis, for example, as great as it would be to see the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games get acknowledged in Mario spin-offs)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Final Smash changes: I'm not sure. Samus might get a visual change based on the ending of Metroid Dread, but I think the concept of the final smash would stay the same. I haven't played enough of Tears of the Kingdom to know if Ganondorf would get revamped or not, but if he or Zelda are changed to reflect that game, then maybe their final smashes will be different?

I'm not sure if Chrom or Young Link are returning, but if they are, then maybe Robin and Young Link's final smashes could change. (Robin's could involve someone other than Chrom, while Young Link's could involve the Fierce Deity - it would be a cosmetic change, and behave identically to the previous one, but I think it would make it more interesting)

---

Mii costume promotions: I'd like to think that Dante or Doomguy would stand a chance, though they're up against stiff competition. I'm not sure if Doomguy would be picked for a third Microsoft character, especially if their purchase of Activision-Blizzard goes through. Likewise, there are a LOT of potential Capcom characters to choose from.

I'd like to think that Bomberman, Shantae, Travis Touchdown, or Sans could be promoted, though I don't know how realistic that would be.

As far as first party characters go, I'd love to see Isaac (though he'd be more of an assist trophy promotion) or Octoling (though it would presumably be the one from Octo Expansion, not the enemies from story mode) get promoted - Octoling feels extremely likely, since they're popular enough to get a whole DLC expansion based on them and they'd play identically to the Inkling.
I don’t think anything in Smash is ever guaranteed but if I had to put my money on any one newcomer to make the next game, it would be the Octolings. Not only could they be a relatively easy character to make with an Isabelle style semiclone but they (and Splatoon in general) are very popular and the IP was a huge breakout hit and probably their most successful new IP in decades. I would be legitimately shocked not to see Splatoon get another character (although anything is possible).

Last edited:
Top Bottom