• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Sadly, that's more or less impossible for somebody like Square Enix. Stupid complicated copyrights ruining everything...
i dont mean specifically square-enix but in general other 3rd party companies like sega, namco, capcom, konami that are easier to deal with since the base game i feel have so many things could have been brought from their other franchises that has no playable character to the base game as spirits or songs like i could name alot of franchise that be presented in some way
KonamiSegaCapcomNamco
-Frogger
-Gradius
-Adventure Island
-Silent Hill
-Bonk
-Alex Kidd
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Phantasy Star
-Madou Monogatari
-Super Monkey Balls
-Darkstalkers
-Ace Attorney
-Okami
-Captian Commando
-Strider
-Digimon
-Tamagotchi
-Dark Souls
-Soul Calibur
-Xenosaga

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
i dont mean specifically square-enix but in general other 3rd party companies like sega, namco, capcom, konami that are easier to deal with since the base game i feel have so many things could have been brought from their other franchises that has no playable character to the base game as spirits or songs like i could name alot of franchise that be presented in some way
KonamiSegaCapcomNamco
-Frogger
-Gradius
-Adventure Island
-Silent Hill
-Bonk
-Alex Kidd
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Phantasy Star
-Madou Monogatari
-Super Monkey Balls
-Darkstalkers
-Ace Attorney
-Okami
-Captian Commando
-Strider
-Digimon
-Tamagotchi
-Dark Souls
-Soul Calibur
-Xenosaga
Heck, they could even go beyond that and include content from their lesser-known franchises. TwinBee, Golden Axe, Red Earth, Wonder Momo, etc.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I had mentioned earlier that I kind of wish there was a Konami 80s Arcade Retro Medley, just like Namco's. Konami had some pretty awesome soundtracks back then and it would have been cool to see something like that in Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
KonamiSegaCapcomNamco
-Frogger
-Gradius
-Adventure Island
-Silent Hill
-Bonk
-Alex Kidd
-Shin Megami Tensei
-Phantasy Star
-Madou Monogatari
-Super Monkey Balls
-Darkstalkers
-Ace Attorney
-Okami
-Captian Commando
-Strider
-Digimon
-Tamagotchi
-Dark Souls
-Soul Calibur
-Xenosaga
Capcom is the only ones of those that has any music I care about. But Spirits would certainly be welcome.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You say that but Square gave Nintendo spirits for the Mana series, the Bravely default series and the Octopath traveler series.
I was about to say this. I don't get why this thread hate so much on Square representation when they have most of their big franchise already in Smash (Final fantasy, Dragon quest and Kingdom hearts with characters and Octopath, Mana and Bravely with spirits). Square doesn't have that much franchise to be honest, the only one that I would consider "big" that are missing are SaGa, Chrono, Drakengard/Nier and Space invaders.

If anything Capcom and Sega are missing way more franchise and had way more potential for more spirits events, especially Sega with Total war, PuyoPuyo, Sakura wars, Yakuza, Phantasy star, STreets of rage, Monkey ball and Hatsune Miku having no representation.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I was about to say this. I don't get why this thread hate so much on Square representation when they have most of their big franchise already in Smash (Final fantasy, Dragon quest and Kingdom hearts with characters and Octopath, Mana and Bravely with spirits). Square doesn't have that much franchise to be honest, the only one that I would consider "big" that are missing are SaGa, Chrono, Drakengard/Nier and Space invaders.

If anything Capcom and Sega are missing way more franchise and had way more potential for more spirits events, especially Sega with Total war, PuyoPuyo, Sakura wars, Yakuza, Phantasy star, STreets of rage, Monkey ball and Hatsune Miku having no representation.
I wish we'd gotten more SEGA mii costumes :(

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Owned by Crypton Future Media, but since SEGA is the one handling everything...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
People love to forget how Square did pony up plenty of content at the end of the day. Post launch spirits, two content packed fighters passes, a solid amount of new Mii costumes. It’s just a lot more convenient to forget all that and just say Square is a greedy company to justify bad faith arguments.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Granted Square while willing to give their IP's to smash bros like the other devs, they clearly view it as JUST a promotional vehicle for their upcoming stuff while for the other companis it's a mix of promotional and celebration of their IP's.

Great Ace Attorney was practically begging for a spirit event since that came out during the tail end of Smash updates and had four main characters, which Spirit events usually had 4 spirits.

Ryunosuke, Susato, Sherlock Holmes and Iris.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Granted Square while willing to give their IP's to smash bros like the other devs, they clearly view it as JUST a promotional vehicle for their upcoming stuff while for the other companis it's a mix of promotional and celebration of their IP's.
???
That isn't fair to say at all, especially considering all the things like the Smash 4 crossover art for Cloud they helped produce.

Literally all of the third parties present see it at least in part as a promotional thing. They're corporations. But considering how ecstatic the Dragon Quest team was about Hero making it in, this feels like a really off base comment to make.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think its just more fair to say that Square Enix has a complicated history with the rights to various elements in their franchises which has made full blown inclusion in Smash tricky to navigate. To some degree with big companies (especially Japanese ones where artists like composers often hold greater power over their works) its a bit inevitable. Nintendo is such a big exception to that stuff 99% of the time that I think it's created this perception that they are the rule when they're really not. Konami having to de-list certain MGS games due to footage rights issues, Namco's problems with Ms. Pac Man, certain composers having specific copyright on Sonic music;. it goes on and on.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Bandai Namco is the most obvious one of the bunch, tons of their localization have had music removed because of licensing issues and games that had a miriad of licensing issues that just werent localized because of worldwide distribution rights that they only started working through in th 2010's because they realized there was a market for it.

I'll never forget how the final boss fight of the first Project X Zone is just awkward silence because the western version cut out the song that's supposed to go there.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Remember the other day when we were talking about the eShops closing? Well, the Completionist decided to take things to a WHOLE new level:

And here I felt bad for downloading random 3DS games when I was younger...

Also, they mention Pushmo quite a bit near the end. Is that a series that could get a Smash rep? Never played it, so I wouldn't know.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Also, they mention Pushmo quite a bit near the end. Is that a series that could get a Smash rep? Never played it, so I wouldn't know.
Mallo‘s moveset is very simple: he can walk around, jump, and pull or push blocks from the front or sides. This moveset is the same between Pushmo (and Pushmo World,) Crashmo, and Stretchmo, the only difference being the properties of the blocks he’s moving. In Pushmo, there’s a wall of flat panels that can be extruded to make blocks, Crashmo has separate blocks that can be moved in any orthogonal direction and are affected by gravity, and Stretcho is similar to Pushmo except that there’s blocks instead of a flat panel, which can be extruded from the sides and back too.

As such, there isn’t a whole lot to work with in terms of direct gameplay. Mallo’s own design resembles a sumo wrestler, so one can extrapolate most his normals from that. Maybe he could extrude some terrain to walk on or obstruct his enemies, and he could utilize the birds from Crashmo for a recovery maybe, and he could maybe spawn the cardboard enemy robots from one of the level packs in Stretchmo for some stage control, maybe? IDK.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i would add Arkanoid and Bubble Bobble to this they are very iconic and have been getting new games since the 80s to this day
generally i think Taito really needs to be presented in some way in smash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
pushmo or pullblox to give it its proper uk name is a great little series of puzzle platformers made by intelligent systems. as mentioned above there isn't any combat in the game so you'd have to take the villager route. for what it's worth i would highly recommend all 4 games

What the **** is a Videospiel Man
oraclelink's original character that he's always plugging

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
pushmo or pullblox to give it its proper uk name is a great little series of puzzle platformers made by intelligent systems. as mentioned above there isn't any combat in the game so you'd have to take the villager route. for what it's worth i would highly recommend all 4 games
Nah, forget Mallow being playable. Why wasn't there a Pushmo Stage in Smash for 3DS?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I don't see why they wouldn't make movies with the new protagonists as the main characters. Pokemon movies always follow the anime to an extent, there's no reason would stop now just because Ash isn't here anymore (and there's a new Pikachu they can use if they're worried about marketing the movies without it).

How a character even would fee like a video game character if they're from a book?
His name is literally Videogame-Man (In german) and he saves the Game World while Running Jumping, Defeating Enemies and Bosses and collecting Stuff!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Major 3rd party franchises not playable in Smash:

Resident Evil. I know there's more but I want to highlight just how much I wish this series was in Smash Bros. We got spirits at least but I want a playable character! And with RE4 remake dropping soon (boy does it look good!) I thought I'd mention it here.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Major 3rd party franchises not playable in Smash:

Resident Evil. I know there's more but I want to highlight just how much I wish this series was in Smash Bros. We got spirits at least but I want a playable character! And with RE4 remake dropping soon (boy does it look good!) I thought I'd mention it here.
I understand that. That's the same way I've began to feel about River City after playing some the NES games in the Double Dragon and Kunio-kun Retro collection.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
sony own them? I thought it was those guys that own rockstar
Sony own Lemmings because they bought Psygnosis, the original Lemmings dev. That being said, Sony rarely use the ip themselves and they licenced it to other publishers, including Take-two, but Sony still owns it.

Hear me out

Worms >>>>> Lemmings

Just sayin'
Worms has insane moveset potential and would be fun. It's a shame that for the latest game they decide to go for industry trends and do a bad Battle royale instead of focusing on what makes the franchise fun. Hopefully we have a proper game sometimes soon.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The more I learn about the early years of the video game industry, the more I find myself lamenting that certain companies from the era aren't represented in Smash. While games from the Magnovox Odyssey and Fairchild Channel F might be tricky to really embody in the game given just how simplistic they are, Atari definitely feels like it has enough various titles to be spotlighted. It wouldn't even have to be just releases from the VCS, the different arcade series that it developed could be nicely included via stages or assist trophies with the right idea. While I know its not likely for many reasons as many first party Atari games weren't really on Nintendo arcade machines or home consoles that much (though the Switch release of Atari 50 has technically changed that) and Japan doesn't have the same connection/history with the company like North America does, it would be nice to see one day.

Top Bottom