• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
As far as throwing new companies into Project X Zone, I always figured SNK would be the most willing to lend their characters a project like this (especially with plenty of characters who make sense as Pair Units), but there is one “out there” Pair Unit I thought of besides…and it’s Kairi and Aqua from Kingdom Hearts. People who played up to the end of Melody of Memory (or at least saw the ending on YouTube or somewhere else) will probably understand why.

As for the Direct:
Hopes
  • SSBU updated rerelease
  • Project X Zone 3
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • Tomato Adventure remake
  • New mainline Mario
  • New DK game
  • Dragalia Lost on Switch
  • Game Boy and GBA on NSO
  • ARMS 2
  • Trails in the Sky HD
  • Sora amiibo
  • FE4 remake
Expectations
  • A big blowout for Tears of the Kingdom
  • Some last bits of info on Return to Dream Land DX
  • More info on Sparks of Hope DLC
  • Another new Mario game regardless
  • Advance Wars
  • More info on Engage DLC
  • Possibly some Gen 9 DLC?
  • More info on the Booster Course Pass

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The only Direct prediction I have is that the new Piranha Plant Cove course being added to Mario Lart Tour tomorrow is announced to be coming to 8 Deluxe.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m guessing it’s still way too early to hear any news of Nintendo’s next console (and Smash game). I’m not sure if it’s completely out of the question but I’m not really expecting anything until after Tears of the Kingdom releases. I also fear that if we don’t get any news from Metroid Prime 4 soon, it means it’s either cancelled or pushed to the next console. I know it’s stated that they’re focusing on the first half of 2023 but it’s weird we don’t really have any info on what’s happening after that point.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

Neat.
Am i crazy that i'm not that hyped for a direct.

Now, i just see it and just go "Neat". Honestly, i think it's the best view to have.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Am i crazy that i'm not that hyped for a direct.

Now, i just see it and just go "Neat". Honestly, i think it's the best view to have.
I’m pretty much the same. It’s hard to get hyped with no Smash news. That and the fact that there probably won’t be any huge surprise reveals. For most games, I don’t really want to know too much about the game before I play it so it still feels new and exciting so getting more information on games we already know about doesn’t really excite me (other than Smash for some reason).

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
I’m pretty much the same. It’s hard to get hyped with no Smash news. That and the fact that there probably won’t be any huge surprise reveals. For most games, I don’t really want to know too much about the game before I play it so it still feels new and exciting so getting more information on games we already know about doesn’t really excite me (other than Smash for some reason).
It isn't Smash really. Those get their own directs/showcase. I just haven't invested or really need a direct for upcoming games.

Guess that happens when you have games to play.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It isn't Smash really. Those get their own directs/showcase. I just haven't invested or really need a direct for upcoming games.

Guess that happens when you have games to play.
That too. I have a huge backlog of games I’ll likely never have the time to really play them all as it is. I’m not really in a huge rush for new games, although big announcements can still be exciting.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly not excited. Hopefully there will be a surprise and all sure but the last Direct was so empty that I couldn't believe it. Nintendo REALLY needs to step up its production capacity because it's actually getting kind of ridiculous. If their E3 Direct was actually canceled because of having a "light" second half of the year then that will be 2 years in a row of that nonsense. They're one of the big 3 and should act like it. They are expanding their headquarters majorly which is a good sign. Maybe they'll do a major acquisition? I don't know.

Things I know will be in it are Wave 4 of Mario Kart DLC, Splatoon 3 DLC and some Tears of the Kingdom showcase BUUUUUUT I actually kind of hope that Tears of the Kingdom simply gets a dedicated Direct next month or something that's simply mentioned/scheduled here as a means to not take up too much time from this one. A new trailer at the start with them afterwards scheduling this hypothetical dedicated Direct would be ideal IMHO.

Oh and there'll be another Mario movie trailer which I will be kind of annoyed with since it'll just take more time. I'd prefer these movie trailers to again just simply have their own dedicated showcasing.

Pikmin 4 I guess is fine. It's at least a long-awaited sequel and a very unique gaming experience so that's nice. I'll probably get it.

And finally as others have said I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY miss the Smash reveals. They're such great content padding for whatever Nintendo's got going on.

Things I guess I want would be Superstars DLC, Forgotten Land DLC, Windwaker/Twilight Princess HD, a 3D Donkey Kong game and of course ****ing F-Zero and/or Earthbound anything.

EDIT: Oh and Metroid Prime trilogy remaster as opposed to just Metroid Prime 1 remaster. If it's just 1 I'm gonna be very disappointed. Speaking of which maybe we'll also get a trailer for Metroid Prime 4?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm honestly not excited. Hopefully there will be a surprise and all sure but the last Direct was so empty that I couldn't believe it. Nintendo REALLY needs to step up its production capacity because it's actually getting kind of ridiculous. If their E3 Direct was actually canceled because of having a "light" second half of the year then that will be 2 years in a row of that nonsense. They're one of the big 3 and should act like it. They are expanding their headquarters majorly which is a good sign. Maybe they'll do a major acquisition? I don't know.

Things I know will be in it are Wave 4 of Mario Kart DLC, Splatoon 3 DLC and some Tears of the Kingdom showcase BUUUUUUT I actually kind of hope that Tears of the Kingdom simply gets a dedicated Direct next month or something that's simply mentioned/scheduled here as a means to not take up too much time from this one. A new trailer at the start with them afterwards scheduling this hypothetical dedicated Direct would be ideal IMHO.

Oh and there'll be another Mario movie trailer which I will be kind of annoyed with since it'll just take more time. I'd prefer these movie trailers to again just simply have their own dedicated showcasing.

Pikmin 4 I guess is fine. It's at least a long-awaited sequel and a very unique gaming experience so that's nice. I'll probably get it.

And finally as others have said I REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY miss the Smash reveals. They're such great content padding for whatever Nintendo's got going on.

Things I guess I want would be Superstars DLC, Forgotten Land DLC, Windwaker/Twilight Princess HD, a 3D Donkey Kong game and of course ****ing F-Zero and/or Earthbound anything.
earhbound is done you can't have it

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
earhbound is done you can't have it
I very much liked that remaster concept akin to the Link's Awakening remake for Earthbound. That'd be ideal other than just continuing the series like it deserves. At this point I'm guessing the official Mother 3 translation being released on Nintendo's retro streaming service with the launch of the GB/GBC/GBA variant is about all we can realistically sort of hope for.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The Direct will probably reveal if that leak for a new feature in Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe was real or not (if the leak was real, it’s literally on the back of the boxart, so it’s not meant to be a spoiler, so they will probably reveal it before release, and this is a good place to reveal it), and that alone is exciting enough for me personally.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I very much liked that remaster concept akin to the Link's Awakening remake for Earthbound. That'd be ideal other than just continuing the series like it deserves. At this point I'm guessing the official Mother 3 translation being released on Nintendo's retro streaming service with the launch of the GB/GBC/GBA variant is about all we can realistically sort of hope for.
well that’ll be down to itoi so I wouldn’t get your hopes up

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If no one minds me weighing in on the PxZ3 thing, I still feel as though those games would have legit been THE perfect opportunity to add Nintendo's more obscure characters.

I'm sure I've suggested this before, but I really feel as though Nintendo has a golden opportunity with their more obscure (human/humanoid) characters being put to use here.

I would think that PxZ could probably make decent use out of characters like Ayumi Tachibana, Takamaru, the Hayami siblings (Ryota and Akari), Captain Rainbow, Isaac and/or Matthew, a Wars character (be it Andy or otherwise), a Fire Emblem character (like Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, etc.), Mike Jones, Michael Anderson, Ashley Mizuki Robbins, Kyle Hyde, Sato Amatsubo, Naomi Moriha, etc. I mean, the list sort of goes on.

For the record, I mean having them be playable or simply making a cameo in a certain location.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If no one minds me weighing in on the PxZ3 thing, I still feel as though those games would have legit been THE perfect opportunity to add Nintendo's more obscure characters.

I'm sure I've suggested this before, but I really feel as though Nintendo has a golden opportunity with their more obscure (human/humanoid) characters being put to use here.

I would think that PxZ could probably make decent use out of characters like Ayumi Tachibana, Takamaru, the Hayami siblings (Ryota and Akari), Captain Rainbow, Isaac and/or Matthew, a Wars character (be it Andy or otherwise), a Fire Emblem character (like Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, etc.), Mike Jones, Michael Anderson, Ashley Mizuki Robbins, Kyle Hyde, Sato Amatsubo, Naomi Moriha, etc. I mean, the list sort of goes on.

For the record, I mean having them be playable or simply making a cameo in a certain location.
As far as other FE characters in PxZ, I figured that if Shadows of Valentia came out sooner, we maybe (keyword: maybe) could’ve squeezed in Alm & Celica; they were NES characters first, after all.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You know, about Project X Zone, I was disappointed Sonic was not in it, but not angered.

You know, from what I have seen, Sonic was actually planned to be in the first Project X Zone. I remember seeing magazine scans of that.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
You know, about Project X Zone, I was disappointed Sonic was not in it, but not angered.

You know, from what I have seen, Sonic was actually planned to be in the first Project X Zone. I remember seeing magazine scans of that.
Those were mockups. Like the ones from fake Pokémon leaks.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
you know it did right? it's in your avatar
I guess if you wanna get technical sure but I don’t mean someone from Atlus.
Yeah I was about to say, I think they pretty clearly meant more of an in-house SEGA joint. Atlus are very much a part of SEGA at this point but there are a lot of SEGA fans who don't care for Atlus stuff and vice versa so I don't think it's fair to act like someone asking for more SEGA content should be satisfied cause Atlus stuff got in

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I was about to say, I think they pretty clearly meant more of an in-house SEGA joint. Atlus are very much a part of SEGA at this point but there are a lot of SEGA fans who don't care for Atlus stuff and vice versa so I don't think it's fair to act like someone asking for more SEGA content should be satisfied cause Atlus stuff got in
it's not very much. they just are a part of sega

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord

Neat.
I think I would like:
-Proper Pikmin 4 trailer
-Silksong date pretty please
-confirmation that Advance War Rebooted didn't get shadowcanned
-New 3D Mario maybe
-uh....

I could also say next Mario Kart wave and Splatoon update but those should be a given. Tears of the Kingdom already has a date and that's enough for me, I'll just look away if it shows up.

Honestly, this is the first Direct announcement in a while I'm just "yeah whatever" on. I've played my Switch so infrequently lately, I feel like I'm missing out on 98% of the library and these Directs are only gonna add more stuff to the pile of things that fancy my interests but I never manage to get around to playing. It just gets intimidating for me to keep up at this point. Also I feel like we've reached the point of the Switch's life where most of the things people have been clamouring for are already on the system or soon releasing like Persona 5, Bayo 3, Pikmin 4, TotK, 3D Kirby, etc. Smash Ult has been finished for more than a year and we're still years away from even a teaser of the next installment so there's noting on that front. There just isn't a lot left to get excited about imo, at least when it comes to heavy hitters. I guess people are still asking for F-Zero, StarFox, Uprising remastered, Mother 3, Donkey Kong and I guess Prime 4 still has to come out at some point but I don't feel like any of those are particularly likely to show up in this direct.

I'll still watch it live for the fun of it all but I don't really need to be told to hype responsibly this time around. I'll be tempered.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
How about Bayonetta?
Sega owns that, Platinum just develops it.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The fact that we might get Advance Wars, F-Zero, Metroid, and Pikmin games in the same year makes me wonder if we've just fallen through a wormhole to twenty years ago.

Especially since three of those four games are, potentially, from twenty years ago.

Now Golden Sun and Custom Robo, please.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can understand not really wanting to group developers under one large category based on who owns them. For example, I love RARE and Blizzard characters but I don’t care a lot about Microsoft as a whole beyond that. I never really considered either as “Microsoft reps” just because they happen to own them. I imagine several SEGA and Atlus fans feel similarly. I love Persona but I’ve never really been a SEGA guy in general so that probably applies to me too. Sonic characters are cool though.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I can understand not really wanting to group developers under one large category based on who owns them. For example, I love RARE and Blizzard characters but I don’t care a lot about Microsoft as a whole beyond that. I never really considered either as “Microsoft reps” just because they happen to own them. I imagine several SEGA and Atlus fans feel similarly. I love Persona but I’ve never really been a SEGA guy in general so that probably applies to me too. Sonic characters are cool though.
It's kinda a weird way of thinking tbh

Isnt that like saying that Hero isnt just a Square Enix rep, but also a Chunsoft and Level 5 rep?

Because Solo's game was done by Chunsoft and Eight's was Level 5.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
im not. I’m saying they’re not separate entities anymore
......which is also what I said. Yes, Atlus are fully part of SEGA at this point. I still don't think it's fair to be like "what are you talking about???? you got your SEGA rep!!!!" when they were clearly talking about getting a SEGA pick that's more closely established within their catalog. As I said, there's still a pretty significant amount of.....er......non-overlap between SEGA fans and Atlus fans, so I don't get why you're acting like it's this wild unreasonable thing for someone who wants more SEGA content to not be satisfied with just getting Atlus stuff.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's kinda a weird way of thinking tbh

Isnt that like saying that Hero isnt just a Square Enix rep, but also a Chunsoft and Level 5 rep?

Because Solo's game was done by Chunsoft and Eight's was Level 5.
It’s a little different in my opinion. Maybe I didn’t explain myself well enough. I consider any Dragon Quest characters to be Square-Enix because it’s a single franchise owned and created by one developer. Although I have a lot more connection to Final Fantasy and the Square side of SE that I suppose you could make an argument there.

RARE, Blizzard, and Atlus all existed on their own before being bought up by a larger corporation so I suppose that’s where I make the distinction. Mergers like Square-Enix, Activision-Blizzard, Bandai-Namco, and Koei-Tecmo can fall under this too depending on how much connection I had with one side before the merger. I’ll always consider RARE more as honorary Nintendo characters despite being owned by Microsoft for over 20 years but that’s probably because I’m old.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
......which is also what I said. Yes, Atlus are fully part of SEGA at this point. I still don't think it's fair to be like "what are you talking about???? you got your SEGA rep!!!!" when they were clearly talking about getting a SEGA pick that's more closely established within their catalog. As I said, there's still a pretty significant amount of.....er......non-overlap between SEGA fans and Atlus fans, so I don't get why you're acting like it's this wild unreasonable thing for someone who wants more SEGA content to not be satisfied with just getting Atlus stuff.
I don’t know where you’re getting any of that from

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If we are still talking Sega...

I was never into Bug! (I thought it was weird), but I always thought the level layouts of that game had potential in any game. The 2.5D levels that had up left and right as well as forward and backward 2D rather than just left to right was not only cool to me, but would make for a great Sonic game in my opinion.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I don’t know where you’re getting any of that from
I mean....you saw someone saying they wanted another SEGA rep and were like "but Joker". You then kept doubling down and insisting Atlus and SEGA were one and the same when I explained what the other person meant. That read to me like "wdym you got your SEGA rep", which as I explained, doesn't make a lot of sense. The other option would be you were just trying to be a smartass without actually adding anything to the conversation so

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean....you saw someone saying they wanted another SEGA rep and were like "but Joker". You then kept doubling down and insisting Atlus and SEGA were one and the same when I explained what the other person meant. That read to me like "wdym you got your SEGA rep", which as I explained, doesn't make a lot of sense. The other option would be you were just trying to be a smartass without actually adding anything to the conversation so
you may have misjudged the tone

Top Bottom