• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Would a Xenoblade X remaster push Elma to the front of the potential Smash newcomers list ahead of Noah and Mio? I fear that Xenoblade 3 might be old news by the time we get the next Smash. A remaster would bring more attention to X and might re-ignite interest in Elma for Smash.
I would expect Alvis or the next major Xenoblade villian to be after , Noah & Mio

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I doubt it. Remakes haven’t done much for the smash roster yet. Celica and a Hoenn Pokémon for example were viable picks but got passed over. It also does not help that Xenoblade 3 is the best selling game in the series. The game did extremely well and got a ton of praise, I struggle to see it not making it into the next Smash.
That’s fair. I did really enjoy 3 and Noah probably my favorite of all the mainline main protagonists. I just hope they do something interesting for Smash. I like Noah as a character but I don’t find his moveset and Smash potential particularly interesting as he shares a lot with Shulk. Mio is more interesting but I don’t know if we’d get her over Noah by herself. There’s the potential of a team pairing but we just got that with Pyra and Mythra and I don’t know if they’d go with the same idea twice in a row. What I think would be the most interesting is a permanent Ouroboros fusion of the two. Using it as a Final Smash would be the easy choice but then we’re back to trying to make the characters stand out, especially for those who don’t play with items or the Smash meter. This is all just my personal opinion and I’ll be happy either way because I really like the game and the characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The only things remakes did for Smash was of course Pokemon Trainer (who represents Fire Red and Leaf Green specifically) and the return of Young Link. I believed that Young Link did very well on the ballot due to hype for the Majora's Mask remake. I actually believe that Young Link was the best performing veteran on the ballot.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Would a Xenoblade X remaster push Elma to the front of the potential Smash newcomers list ahead of Noah and Mio? I fear that Xenoblade 3 might be old news by the time we get the next Smash. A remaster would bring more attention to X and might re-ignite interest in Elma for Smash.
I think Elma has demand but Noah is relevant and has more demand. Also Xenoblade comes out fast. Doubt she'll get a chance soon. If any game is getting 2 new reps it's pokemon

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I'd go as far as to say Elma has more demand than a new Mario rep. But sakerai has to keep everyone happy.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
[QUOTE
That is a very bold claim to make in a world where Waluigi is a popular request still, Geno has a cult following, and Toad support still hasn’t dried up.
She's more popular than toad, waluigi fans are just in it for the meme, I forgot about Geno. Most waluigi fans have a character they want more than waluigi.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
[QUOTE

She's more popular than toad, waluigi fans are just in it for the meme, I forgot about Geno. Most waluigi fans have a character they want more than waluigi.
I really doubt that Elma is popular enough to outshine a prominent character from the biggest VG franchise of all time. Especially now with the Mario Movie out and about breaking records by the day and Toad being on the forefront as a main cast member.

And that even last statement isn't even true. Honestly, in a ironic twist of fate, Waluigi being snubbed from Ultimate was actually one of best things to happen to him.

Ever since E3 2018, his popularity concerning him not getting to Smash skyrocketed with the memes, articles, news etc making rounds to the point that Nintendo themselves had to come out to address his popularity and chances. He is one of very few characters i actually consider to be a solid lock for Smash 6.

The point here is with Geno and even that is bit debatable.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
[QUOTE

It doesn't seem like it's a good idea to dismiss support for characters as being "just a meme". People said the same thing about Ridley prior to Smash Ultimate (and after Smash Ultimate's release, when Ridley didn't make a ton of appearances in the competitive scene or what have you), even though the support (at least from what I saw) was authentic.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really like Elma and Xenoblade as a whole but I don’t think it’s accurate to claim she’s more popular than any potential Mario newcomer. That’s probably true in certain circles but not the fanbase in general. I can’t even claim that I’d rather see Elma than any Mario character personally because I still have Goomba/Goombella among my most wanted. Goomba is a long shot but the fact that we got Pirahna Plant gives me some hope that it’s at least possible.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
You're putting a fan favorite Xenoblade character up against a mario character that isn't even in all the games. Waluigi is a meme, sure he's a big meme but still just a meme. Also Reggie wanted ridley

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Waluigi is in a really good spot to get in(as is Toad. Captain Toad to a lesser degree). Both are at the height of their popularity and pretty majorly notable characters. Toad is the biggest missing mainline character, and Waluigi is the biggest missing spin-off character(who has made minor appearances in the mainline series now too, via costumes, though. But then again, "everything is canon in Mario" anyway, though there are some alternate universes. Paper Mario was made clear to be a different one from the main one, and you can probably consider that the same otherwise for the CD-i game, or at least Nintendo wants you to think so, despite having no real reason to be. The two movies are probably a case of that too?).

Also, characters aren't "memes" unless they were deliberately made strictly to be one. Waluigi was made to be a character to partner to Wario and to be an evilish counterpart to Luigi, while being based upon **** Dastardly to many degrees. He's a fairly unique character that focuses on tying in with Wario's more pragmatic approach(compared to Mario's heroic way of looking at things. As well as not willing to cheat at a competition). Wario being short and stout even somewhat works well since it calls back to ****'s own dog(I forget the name).

Pepe is a Meme. Waluigi is a character who was popular for his own merits that became so popular that people created memes about him. The first real meme was from Brawl in the Family, a fan comic, which required them to have fun with a fully established character. It's pretty impossible to be just a meme when he has other traits either way, making that statement a giant fallacy and never made any remote sense. And who cares if he's popular as well due to some memes. It's no less legitimate popularity than anything else. Popularity doesn't matter why. It means people like the character. End of story.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think the end goal for a Smash roster should be to make as many people happy as you realistically can. If people want Waluigi because they think he would be funny, that’s still making a lot of people happy if he gets in. I think there’s a lot of people that legitimately want Waluigi as well as others that want him as a joke. In either case, his inclusion is going to make a lot of people happy regardless of the reason. I’m personally indifferent to him but I’d be happy for his fans if he makes it in, as I would with any other character.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I've been thinking up some interesting matchups I like seeing in Smash Bros and it sometimes comes down to brawlers vs. swordfighters (all RPGs so far). But there's specific series I like pitting against each other:

Street Fighter vs. Final Fantasy; This is pretty obvious. Street Fighter II and Final Fantasy VII? The way these games popularized their genres is unlike anything else.

Fatal Fury vs. Dragon Quest; Rival series to the ones mentioned above. More popular in Japan but are still very iconic and significant to their genres.

Punch-Out!! vs. Fire Emblem; Nintendo's own combat based series and Nintendo's own long-running RPG series. I guess they don't have that much in common other than showing that Nintendo has created these types of characters themselves.

But there if more series get added, here's some more I'd like to see:

River City vs. Dragon Quest: Very popular in Japan but are still respected as pioneers in their genre by fans outside of it and are highly associated with the Nintendo brand.

Fatal Fury vs. Ys/Dragon Slayer: Highly underrated series, yet also very important to their genre in ways many people may not be aware of.

I haven't thought up one for Tekken yet but I might just stick that up against Tales since they're both Namco series.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've been thinking up some interesting matchups I like seeing in Smash Bros and it sometimes comes down to brawlers vs. swordfighters (all RPGs so far). But there's specific series I like pitting against each other:

Street Fighter vs. Final Fantasy; This is pretty obvious. Street Fighter II and Final Fantasy VII? The way these games popularized their genres is unlike anything else.

Fatal Fury vs. Dragon Quest; Rival series to the ones mentioned above. More popular in Japan but are still very iconic and significant to their genres.

Punch-Out!! vs. Fire Emblem; Nintendo's own combat based series and Nintendo's own long-running RPG series. I guess they don't have that much in common other than showing that Nintendo has created these types of characters themselves.

But there if more series get added, here's some more I'd like to see:

River City vs. Dragon Quest: Very popular in Japan but are still respected as pioneers in their genre by fans outside of it and are highly associated with the Nintendo brand.

Fatal Fury vs. Ys/Dragon Slayer: Highly underrated series, yet also very important to their genre in ways many people may not be aware of.

I haven't thought up one for Tekken yet but I might just stick that up against Tales since they're both Namco series.
One I’d love to see someday is Metroid vs. Contra vs. StarCraft. They were all very popular franchises from the 80’s or 90’s that drew a ton of inspiration from the same sources (Alien and Predator), which I also loved as a kid.

Street Fighter Vs. Mortal Kombat is another I’d love to see since they were the two biggest fighting game franchises of the 90’s that are still going strong today. It’s a bonus that Mortal Kombat now also has ties to Alien and Predator since they were both guest characters.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
And Again "Toy" Link is basically just a modern version Of Links original look from Links LA Ingame apearnce with some cues taken from the artwork and the oracle game
No, it isn't. It's a completely new look. LA's art style was the same as LttP's. And the modern version of that Link is the one in Link Between Worlds.

The style they created for the LA remake was something else entirely. And also completely unnecessary.

She's more popular than toad

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
No, it isn't. It's a completely new look. LA's art style was the same as LttP's. And the modern version of that Link is the one in Link Between Worlds.

The style they created for the LA remake was something else entirely. And also completely unnecessary.

All of the mainline Mario characters are already in. They should focus on preserving who's there. Toad isn't very many peoples favorite video game character. Elma is.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
All of the mainline Mario characters are already in. They should focus on preserving who's there. Toad isn't very many peoples favorite video game character. Elma is.
HAHAHA no.jpg

Listen, I have no ill will towards Elma supporters, but what you just said is blatantly not true.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Listen, I like Elma. But you are not doing her favors right now.

Xenoblade X from the verifiable sales numbers we have barely cracked 500,000. It is far and away the most niche release in the Xenoblade series. In less than six months, Xenoblade 3 sold almost two million units. You also can't out and out say Toad isn't someone that a lot of people love. Toad is from the best selling video game franchise of all time. He also has had spinoffs like Captain Toad, which both on the Wii U and the Switch far outsold Xenoblade X. And lets not forget he was in the biggest movie release of the year so far and the largest video game movie ever, which is on track to earn well over a billion dollars.

You are choosing the weirdest hill to die on. Is Waluigi a spinoff character? Sure, hes still miles more popular than Elma, even if he is a bit divisive for people. I personally do not care for Geno, but he has an active fandom to this day. Toad supporters have endured him being a part of Peach's moveset for over twenty years, and they still want him in. I can say that in "the wild" outside of the thicket of the Smash community, I have rarely seen XCX brought up much outside of predictions for Ultimate's base game. Most talk just goes towards the soundtrack being dope and how it should have been in. Does Elma have a fanbase? Sure, but it is far from this massive fan request you are claiming her to be.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realistically I think if XCX gets a Switch/Switch 2 port (and I think there will be given the potentially money from the Xenoblade audience that's grown), she might be in play. Until then I have my doubts.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There is no remaster on the planet that will push a character hard enough such that they will surpass a previous popular character on their debut and be included in front of them in Smash. That new game's success is what allows any sort of remaster or remake to begin with.

Least of all a game that is much less dense in character-driven story, with a character not remotely as popular as any of the mainline protagonists, and isn't even actually the player character herself.

And beyond that, they've already stated that porting Xenoblade Chronicles X is not something they'll ever do, so it's a futile hypothetical to begin with.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

By what metric are you determining that Toad is very many people's favorite?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There is no remaster on the planet that will push a character hard enough such that they will surpass a previous popular character on their debut and be included in front of them in Smash. That new game's success is what allows any sort of remaster or remake to begin with.

Least of all a game that is much less dense in character-driven story, with a character not remotely as popular as any of the mainline protagonists, and isn't even actually the player character herself.

And beyond that, they've already stated that porting Xenoblade Chronicles X is not something they'll ever do, so it's a futile hypothetical to begin with.
Considering that the only character that was chosen specifically to promote a remake/remaster was the Pokémon Trainer, you might be right.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
X is easily the oddest duck of the Xenoblade franchise and also the worst-performing. I don't have a desire to see Elma as playable, nor do I think it would happen.
That said, some more auxiliary content like a stage or even Elma as an AT or costume would be welcome.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Wait, when did they say they'd never port XCX? I know there's been statements that getting in on Switch would be difficult given the file size, but this is the first I've heard that porting it at any point for any hypothetical console was off the table.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I
View attachment 371035
Listen, I have no ill will towards Elma supporters, but what you just said is blatantly not true.
I ask people who they want in smash all the time. I get elma a lot more often than toad.

Edit: i do polls all of the time. It's literally my main hobby. Anytime I join a server I ask if I can post my loll and if I can I do. Anytime I join a live stream I post the link to my poll. Elma is more requested than toad. I can post the link to one with over 300 votes. You're literally all wrong

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I ask people who they want in smash all the time. I get elma a lot more often than toad.
Something tells me you only looked at the Elma support thread (no offense Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura ) and then went out of your way to find other Elma support threads and then started thinking that that was your gotcha moment.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Something tells me you only looked at the Elma support thread (no offense Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura ) and then went out of your way to find other Elma support threads and then started thinking that that was your gotcha moment.
Assuming makes an a_s_s out of you and me. The mob mentality here is so annoying.

FazDude

Smash Master
Elma is more requested than toad. I can post the link to one with over 300 votes. You're literally all wrong
There's a lot more than 300 Smash fans. Even Source Gaming's Mega Smash poll from last year only got 2K participants total. Granted, Elma still beat Toad there, but neither cracked the top 20, so I wouldn't call Elma a huge fan demand, at least one in the same camp as Geno.

Just because someone doesn't have a character as their most wanted doesn't mean they wouldn't support them.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No offense, silenthunder silenthunder , but from what you are saying, your polls and any research you did, if you can call it that, are way too narrow and maybe too local where you are concerned. Polls online do not count all people's thoughts, they only count a smaller number of people, in fact. Plus, as the others said, Elma is from a game that did not sell that well. Not to mention she has not been around as much as the likes of Waluigi, Toad, etc., and thus has not garnered that much popularity, and probably never will. She is not as great as the Mario characters you dismiss, and you might have been looking for opinions too similar to yours. Even then, what those you have talked to said about those like Toad aren't factually right or wrong, it is all opinion. What isn't fact though is that Waluigi, Toad and other Mario characters seem, and maybe are more impactful and bigger as characters than a character from one game that was on a failing system anyway. And that is not even counting Geno, who was very popular, been around longer, and at least made a cameo in a Mario and Luigi game once since his debut and only main appearance.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I would expect Alvis or the next major Xenoblade villian to be after , Noah & Mio
I highly doubt it to be honest. I mean, Fire emblem have 8 characters and they never bothered adding vilains. If anything, after Noah and/or Mio they would probably just wait for the Xeno 4 rep or Elma or a X-2 rep or wathever next game.

I actually believe that Young Link was the best performing veteran on the ballot.
Hum no. If anything, I wouldn't be shocked if he was the least voted veterans on the ballot. Snake and Wolf were huge request, Pokémon trainer was heavily requested despire Charizard already being there, Ice climbers probably got lot of vote too becase I remember people being genuinely sad that they got cut, and Pichu probably got a few votes just for the meme.

Top Bottom