• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So since Xenoblade DLC is launching tomorrow (and causing more trouble on Nintendo's outdated network), I'll say that I hope that Melia becomes the next Xenoblade character over anyone in later games.

She's a much better "wait and see" pick rather than "obligatory new face" that Pokémon and Fire Emblem get.
She and Nia are possible picks yes, but am not betting on them. They don't quite offer the unique mechanics Noah or Mio could have with the class system and weapon switching, even if they're unique in their own right.

Personally am pretty sure Noah is gonna be the one character chosen as the new Xenoblade character next Smash. And am totally fine with that, he makes lots of sense and would have a great potential moveset.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
While Little Mac and Mega Man have had modern appearances, in Smash they are pretty much retro characters. Mac takes inspiration primarily from the arcade game in all ways but design and his final smash. Mega Man is essentially his NES self in Smash. IMO, if your appearance in Smash is intrinsically tied to your old school appearances, you lean retro. It's why I would say that Mega Man and Mac are Retro, while your examples are not.
That pretty much applies to almost every character that came from the 80s and 90s, though. Look at Ryu and Ken. Many of their animations and sound effects are also tied from their old school appearances, specifically their SFII appearances. It's just a nice little nostalgic touch added from the most popular games from the characters' series. It doesn't really make them retro characters. Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game & Watch are the only true retro characters in the roster right now, as they have no modern appearances and are taken from the decade that they originated from.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personally am pretty sure Noah is gonna be the one character chosen as the new Xenoblade character next Smash. And am totally fine with that, he makes lots of sense and would have a great potential moveset.
i'm not gonna let any of us forget what happened the last time we were so sure of that

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Noah’s a cool character so far but he does remind me a bit too much of Shulk mechanically to really stand out as a very interesting Smash character by himself. That might change as I progress but so far, using the two feel pretty similar in game as far as basic artes go.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Speaking of tradition, there is one that I think is worth discussing: the retro slot.

While in Ultimate we did not get a traditional retro pick, I would argue that some of our third parties filled that slot instead. Terry and the Belmonts both pulled from that 80s/Early 90s era that we tend to associate with Retro picks. I think for the sake of argument, anything before the jump to 3D could be considered fair game for a retro pick. I think Terry's initial reveal also highlights this well: they literally highlighted how old the Neo Geo and as a result Terry were.

What I think this means is that while we will probably get a retro newcomer, it might not be a NES deep cut from Nintendo. Maybe instead of getting a Takamaru we get a Ryu Hayabusa. An Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins instead of an Excitebiker. Heck, I could see Ys getting the nod as well if they went in a Terry style direction in particular. I think that at the end of the day, there is still this clear desire to represent Nintendo and gaming history in Smash. Just do not be shocked if the retro pick is not Takamaru.
this kinda sucks actually

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm convinced that a good portion of this thread only throws "new faces" under the bus to give their faves credentials that they don't have.

"Oh yeah, they're not the most popular or relevant character... but at least they wouldn't be a dirty shill pick!"

What does?
Not getting Takamaru, I assume.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm convinced that a good portion of this thread only throws "new faces" under the bus to give their faves credentials that they don't have.

"Oh yeah, they're not the most popular or relevant character... but at least they wouldn't be a dirty shill pick!"

I have no issues whatsoever with “shill picks” representing characters from the newest games. That makes a ton of sense and a lot of the time, they are still cool and fun characters in their own right. I just don’t want those to become the only types of characters ever considered. It’s good to have a mix of both new faces and old favorites as well as a few fun surprises.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
What does?
I dunno, I just don't really like the idea of potential cool deep cuts like Takamaru or Ayumi or Sukapon having to make room for even more third-parties.

Make no mistake, I'm very much in favor of third-parties and I do like most of the options that were brought up in a vacuum, but I don't like the idea of them specifically taking away a niche that could be filled by some really fun Ninty picks. Not that the characters I brought up are really super duper likely to begin with, but I'd like for there to still at least be room for picks like that

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Personally, I'm pretty open to just about anybody. Very few characters I actively DON'T want. I'll even take a shill pick if they look interesting enough.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno, I just don't really like the idea of potential cool deep cuts like Takamaru or Ayumi or Sukapon having to make room for even more third-parties.

Make no mistake, I'm very much in favor of third-parties and I do like most of the options that were brought up in a vacuum, but I don't like the idea of them specifically taking away a niche that could be filled by some really fun Ninty picks. Not that the characters I brought up are really super duper likely to begin with, but I'd like for there to still at least be room for picks like that
I understand. I feel the same way with a lot of 2000s IPs and characters.

Isaac and Chibi-Robo my beloveds.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
i'm not gonna let any of us forget what happened the last time we were so sure of that
Yeah but Rex is in a different boat , his Blade switch mechanic is way different and needed to be a complex dual fighter gimmick, and they got that part right with just the Aegis girls, whom where actually more important to the plot anyway... Also way more popular, and not actively disliked.

Noah doesn't have all these issues, the way his Blades switch could translate way more natural to Smash cause literally only his weapons change and come out of thin air / cyber space / The Matrix when he does this, and with them aren't super popular hentai chicks attached who are more popular than him.

But I see your point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah but Rex is in a different boat , his Blade switch mechanic is way different and needed to be a complex dual fighter gimmick, and they got that part right with just the Aegis girls, whom where actually more important to the plot anyway... Also way more popular, and not actively disliked.

Noah doesn't have all these issues, the way his Blades switch could translate way more natural to Smash cause literally only his weapons change and come out of thin air / cyber space / The Matrix when he does this, and with them aren't super popular hentai chicks attached who are more popular than him.

But I see your point.
see this is the problem I have is that everyone got into their heads that Rex could only work with the aegis or not at all even after sakurai said he considered doing that.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think with obligatory newcomer/shill picks the reaction often come down to personal context of the roster. Just speaking for myself, if I were to get Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, & Impa then at that point any new fighters from fresh titles are ones I can look at fairly with far greater ease. I'm not much of a Splatoon, Xenoblade, or Fire Emblem player, but if the aforementioned trio of characters were already included (ideally in the base game) newcomers from the latter IP's are something I'd happily applaud without any reservation.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean, there always are surprise characters, but they also are characters that do apply as retro picks when they were chosen. While Pit is essentially a Kid Icarus Uprising rep nowadays, in Brawl he was absolutely a retro pick. Even though Mac and Mega Man in Smash 4 had modern appearances in the Wii era, I do think that they still qualify as well.

Sure, maybe the "surprise" characters do not qualify, but I think that there is still grounds to say we have had a retro rep every game.
Your daily reminder that Pit was a highly requested character.

I was well aware that Pit was a popular character in both America and Japan. I tried as best I could to design this version of him in a way that reflected current tastes, so I'm happy to see him so well received.
He was basically just a Brawl equivalent to the likes of K. Rool and Banjo, a popular fan favorite who happened to be old. Same thing with Mega Man.

Ice Climbers are still the only characters selected for the sake of having an "retro" character in there. Everyone else was more of a "surprise" (:ultrob::ultgnw::ultduckhunt: and :ultpiranha: is Ultimate's equivalent), or a popular request like Pit or K. Rool.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
A little late here, perhaps, but yes, I would classify the Inklings as shill, but simply a shill pick that even many classically anti-shill people were generally fine with. Probably because it was a big new IP whose merits stacked up well against many older IPs even if you were to overcautiously suppress any feelings of potential recency bias. But still it was seemingly added to a project plan less than a year after its 2015 Wii U release. So if we were strictly following anti-shill, then yeah Splatoon could've waited until Ult's DLC cycle to be added, when its merits could have been evaluated more concretely without the uncertainty of not yet having sustained success. I don't think that would've killed anyone, and in fact could've allowed resources to be directed towards something that could only make it in at base and wouldn't make as much sense having to carry a pack of standalone add-on contents.
But then again, rostering principles are rarely hard and fast rules, so it's up to evaluation how strictly anti-shill should be followed in exceptional cases, like in this particularly rare one where we have a new IP which immediately tops the console sales charts up there with various Mario and Zelda games. They also evidently used Inkling as their carry for the base game newcomer roster, which is another thing to consider; in the anti-shill view it is a risk putting such a new character in that role, but again given that Splatoon was such a vastly successful new franchise getting its first rep, the offense is much less egregious than, say, something like Corrin. In the end Splatoon is still a franchise worth representing going forward anyway so I'm not losing sleep over Splatoon being a base game add (even if I would've vastly preferred that not being the only new 1P franchise in base).

--

More on the retros and rotating cast stuff coming later.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Personally, I'm pretty open to just about anybody. Very few characters I actively DON'T want. I'll even take a shill pick if they look interesting enough.
I understand. I feel the same way with a lot of 2000s IPs and characters.

Isaac and Chibi-Robo my beloveds.
You guys pretty much just summed up my overall feelings in regards to Smash's rosters near-perfectly. I don't necessarily mind 3rd parties, but as someone who enjoy characters from Nintendo's catalogue far more, it's a tad disheartening to see 3rd parties render them near-obsolete more often than not. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but ever since Smash 4, it feels as though first-parties don't seem to enjoy the same level of speculation that they did (pre-Brawl) anymore.

I think with obligatory newcomer/shill picks the reaction often come down to personal context of the roster. Just speaking for myself, if I were to get Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, & Impa then at that point any new fighters from fresh titles are ones I can look at fairly with far greater ease. I'm not much of a Splatoon, Xenoblade, or Fire Emblem player, but if the aforementioned trio of characters were already included (ideally in the base game) newcomers from the latter IP's are something I'd happily applaud without any reservation.
This is especially how I've come to look at Smash's roster these days. Like, the moment I get Bandana Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong (and a couple of retro/obscure characters I've had my eye on for some time now), I'll be even more cooler with any IPs Nintendo happens to add.

Honestly, between all the talk right now about 1st parties (be they retro/obscure or a total shill) and finally getting to play Pilotwings 64 on a modern-day Nintendo console for the first time ever since its initial release in 1996, I figure now may well be as good a time as any other to post my Lark for Smash moveset I made around the end of Smash 4's overall development.

Jab Combo
Lark begins with one large poke from the right wing of his Birdman suit. A swipe from the left wing, and a forced slam from both wings, Very similar to Palutena’s side smash. Only difference is that the windbox is not as large, and the knockback is nowhere near as great.

Side Tilt
A VERY large swipe with the left wing of his Birdman suit. Similar to Princess Zelda’s side tilt, but a wind box is produced, destroying weak projectiles, and not as much knockback.

Up Tilt
Performs an upwards triple kick with the Jumble Hopper spring shoes in the style of Pit and Sonic’s U-Tilts. The final kick does a lot more knockback, but just enough so that Lark can follow up with a multitude of aerial attacks.

Down Tilt
Lark sweeps the floor with his right wing. No knockback or wind box, but can be used rapidly and repeatedly to trip opponents.

Dash Attack
Lark slides along the ground, foot first. Does decent knockback, and can cause opponents to trip if sweet-spotted.

Side Smash
Lark performs a grounded dive, sliding into any opponents in his path. Similar to his dash attack, but doesn’t travel as far, and does more knockback. Can KO at high enough percentages.

Up Smash
With the help of his Jumble Hopper spring boots, Lark hops upwards with so much force, that his helmet sends opponents flying straight upwards, allowing him to follow up with many aerial attacks. KO's at roughly 100%.

D-Smash
Lark rapidly spins along the ground, similar to Princess Peach, but attacking with his right foot and left wing. Does a lot of damage, but the knockback will leave a bit to be desired. The most damaging of all his Smash Attacks, but has the least knockback.

Grab
Lark grabs with one hand.

Pummel
Lark head-bangs the opponent.

Forward
Lark performs a Judo Throw, sending opponents flying over his shoulder headfirst. Has a very small windbox for nearby opponents.

Back Throw
Lark tosses the opponent over his head and behind him, backhand-punching the opponent away.

Up Throw
Lark tosses the opponent upwards, headbutting to send them further upward.

Down Throw
Lark tosses his opponent downwards, jumping high into the air, and then landing, performing a big body slam onto them. His pose while diving onto the opponent supposed to reference the Skydiving mini-game from Pilotwings 64.

N-Air
Lark performs a seriously rapid spin in the air, similar to Falco, but more damaging, and the knockback is almost non-existent, meaning he could follow up with some more aerials.

F-Air
Lark spreads the wings of his Birdman suit extending them forward, rapidly jabbing at his opponents.

B-Air
Basically performs a “winged” version of Fox’s F-Air, but instead the wings are directly behind him, rather than directing them diagonally like Fox’s feet when he performs his F-Air.

U-Air
Lark rapidly flaps the wings of his Birdman suit above him, doing multiple hits in a similar manner to R.O.B.’s U-Air. Has a windbox that goes a distance. Think of Mr. Game and Watch’s U-Air in Smash 4, but the windbox isn’t as strong.

D-Air
Lark sends himself downwards, head-first. Can meteor smash at any frame, but only if the opponent is hit by the top of his head. The opponent will NOT be meteor smashed if they are hit by the side of Lark’s head or any other part of his body. (Think of the Mii Brawler’s Headache Maker D-Special.).

Neutral Special – Parachute
This move would work like Mr. Game and Watch’s N-Air in Melee, and would also grant you super slow falling speed like Princess Peach ‘s U-Special. However, the move itself does NOT give Lark extra altitude, but it is great for covering long horizontal distances while falling. (Only damages the second it opens. Afterwards, if you’re not careful, Lark can be gimped from recovering if the opponent were to hit him. If they end up hitting the parachute, the opponent takes damage.

Side Special – Toy Plane
This move would be the only “true” projectile in Lark’s moveset. He would quickly whip out a remote, and from above him, a toy plane would whiz around. This plane would be useful for gimping characters with recoveries that do not necessarily involve flight of some kind. The toy plane can drop small projectiles that resembles pellet gun bullets that deal 2%. You must also press the standard attack button to have the toy plane drop its projectiles while the toy plane is in use. Press the special move button to cancel the move. Remember, that as long as the toy plane is still in activation, Lark will be left wide open for attack, and will have no way to defend himself.

Up Special – Rocket Belt
This move works as a recovery (similar to R.O.B.’s Up-Special), but the thrusters burn opponents behind or below you. Unlike the item, this Rocket Belt cannot be used “infinitely” and instead bursts upwards with blazing speed, having greater knockback at takeoff. It is similar to Palutena’s Rocket Jump, but travels much higher vertically. Sadly, this move has little to no horizontal recovery. if Lark were to damage anyone on the way up, he would score multiple hits, similar to Little Mac’s Rising Upper recovery move.

Down Special – Boost Ring
Although not used in the same manner as in the games, this move utilizes the floating rings/orbs that are a staple of the Pilotwings games. When used, Lark places a floating ring in front of him which can be passed through to give him an instant momentum boost to dash into opponents, sending them flying from the collision. However, opponents can also go through this ring as well, which can be used to their advantage, rushing into other opponents (including Lark!). As a matter of fact, if the opponent uses the ring to crash into Lark, he actually takes more knockback, similar to if Duck Hunt’s Trick Shot is sent flying back at them. Depending on the character’s weight, the move could cause less knockback or more. For example: if Kirby goes through a ring, his knockback is very small, so you don’t need to worry about lightweights. If Mario or any middleweights walk through, the knockback is decent, to say the least. If any heavyweights, such as Bowser were to go through, then watch out! Get out of the way as soon as possible or you’ll be sent flying! Don’t worry though, because if you happen to place the ring just right, it could be used as a trap to rush an opponent offstage.

Final Smash – Light Plane
The iconic plane from Pilotwings is used by Lark in a manner almost identical to that of the Dragoon item in Brawl and Smash 4, albeit with a MUCH bigger hitbox and the knockback and damage dealt is doubled that of the Dragoon . A plane flies in from the background, similar in function to Zero Suit Samus FS in Smash 4. Excitedly, Lark hops inside preparing to fire himself at his opponents from the foreground. Be very careful though, as Lark has quite a small window of time to fire himself at his opponents. He has a span of 15 seconds. If he does not fire himself in that window of time, the FS will abruptly cancel itself, and Lark will return to the stage as if nothing had just happened. If he does fire himself however, Lark will deal massive damage and knockback to whoever he manages to hit, to the point where it is almost always going to be a OHKO. It should be noted that the FS one-use only, so Lark must time the attack right, and position himself carefully. NOTE: The color scheme of the plane is based on the silver plane used late into Pilotwings for the SNES.

Side Taunt

Lark makes a funny face in whatever direction he’s facing, sticking his tongue out at his opposition, making a silly sound as he does so.

Up Taunt
Lark takes off his helmet and blows on it, wiping the top and then straps it right back on.

Down Taunt
Lark attempts to rapidly flap the wings of his Birdman suit, actually lifting himself off of the ground for about 3 seconds, he then gets tired and falls back down onto the ground, huffing and puffing from exhaustion.

Victory animation 1
Lark jumps up high into the air happily shouting “Yahoo!!!” Lark will continue hopping even after the announcer has announced his name.

Victory animation 2
Lark plays with the remote-controlled toy plane, before it loses power, and crashes onto his head, causing him to wince and rub in slight annoyance.

Victory animation 3
Lark basically performs his entrance animation from the start of a match, but this time, the parachute covers his whole body, and he can’t get out from under it. NOTE: The color of the Lark’s parachute will match the color of the pilot suit he is currently using.

Entrance
Lark uses a parachute to float safely down to the ground.

Victory theme - A remix of the License Achieved theme from Pilotwings 64

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ok so why is it not sustainable to promote major franchises with "rotating casts" (I'm assuming meaning each new game has familiar faces if not just outright copy paste like Mario) using the new character? Considering they could just stick around for one smash title what's unsustainable?
You could try to rotate out a slot for whatever the newest character is, but most people wouldn't like that. Even people firmly in favor of cuts, like me, don't want characters added with the purpose of them only being there for one game. I think that, naturally, some characters fall off (maybe they were a shill pick added in the midst of the hype of a recent release, but their popularity wasn't sustained or maybe didn't even take off as planned to begin with); and others owe their inclusion to strange circumstantial factors that are no longer or should no longer be relevant. In those cases I'd advocate for cuts, but ideally we end up only adding characters who stand the test of time.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
On the retro/surprise slot(s):

I really doubt this would be "filled"/"taken" by a third party character. Remember that these are typically lower-priority, late-dev-cycle adds, there to inject some much needed diversity and history into the roster, not to have to carry a headline or a bigger budget with licensing costs. Doesn't mean we couldn't get another third party rep who could be considered "retro" or "wacky/surprise," but such a character would be filling one of the 1-2 slots for unique third party characters that we typically get, not added on top of those. Actually, the "retro" characters seem to be the most common choices for base game third parties anyway; like, Pac-Man and Mega Man both happened alongside Duck Hunt, and that all came without us seeing another more "modern" basegame 3P newcomer. Pac-Man could also sorta be considered a "wacky/surprise" type of rep despite also carrying big demand. Yeah, I still don't think more than 1-2 unique base game third party newcomers is a realistic expectation; in addition to no precedent there is also the massive difficulty of retaining any current ones.

--

Also, I'm gonna say this again: I really advocate for the "retro" label to be expanded beyond just the 80s/NES-era picks. Like, I don't see anything wrong with characters from franchises like Golden Sun or Wave Race, for example, filling one or more "retro" slots. There is a lot of history to cover, and focusing solely on characters from one decade is suboptimal at best, closed-minded and unhealthy at worst. And while characters like Banjo and K. Rool got in for demand rather than for being explicitly retro, they demonstrate the merit and excitement that can come from non-80s, non-contemporary eras.

--

edit: sorry for double post, whoops

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You could try to rotate out a slot for whatever the newest character is, but most people wouldn't like that. Even people firmly in favor of cuts, like me, don't want characters added with the purpose of them only being there for one game. I think that, naturally, some characters fall off (maybe they were a shill pick added in the midst of the hype of a recent release, but their popularity wasn't sustained or maybe didn't even take off as planned to begin with); and others owe their inclusion to strange circumstantial factors that are no longer or should no longer be relevant. In those cases I'd advocate for cuts, but ideally we end up only adding characters who stand the test of time.
That's fair. Really I would not mind if say, Byleth didn't come back for another game. If it's "we didn't include him because we had to make room for protag " maybe yeah ppl mad. Or it's just the new precedent, though I can't say for sure.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's fair. Really I would not mind if say, Byleth didn't come back for another game. If it's "we didn't include him because we had to make room for protag " maybe yeah ppl mad. Or it's just the new precedent, though I can't say for sure.
personally I only want byleth to come back if they have a moveset more in line with their character. I mean that’s one character who certainly didn’t get in cause of their own merits cause they didn’t bring them with them

Quillion

Smash Hero
personally I only want byleth to come back if they have a moveset more in line with their character. I mean that’s one character who certainly didn’t get in cause of their own merits cause they didn’t bring them with them
If you mean by "merit" being a whip character, Simon already claimed that wheelhouse, so I guess Byleth had to stand out from the former some way.

In those cases I'd advocate for cuts, but ideally we end up only adding characters who stand the test of time.
Standing the test of time is difficult at best either way though. For "fixed cast" franchises like Mario, the main four of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser fills all the vital roles and leaves more "game specific" characters like Rosalina and Cappy an uphill battle to stand out. For "rotating cast" series like Xenoblade, it's harder since no one sticks around.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
That pretty much applies to almost every character that came from the 80s and 90s, though. Look at Ryu and Ken. Many of their animations and sound effects are also tied from their old school appearances, specifically their SFII appearances. It's just a nice little nostalgic touch added from the most popular games from the characters' series. It doesn't really make them retro characters. Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game & Watch are the only true retro characters in the roster right now, as they have no modern appearances and are taken from the decade that they originated from.
I agree that’s how I view retro reps they are only :ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultduckhunt: due to the fact they were not revived until smash and comes from dead franchises
:ultpit:Also during brawl does count as well
so I don’t think there is any smash ultimate newcomer that is a true retro rep

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Standing the test of time is difficult at best either way though. For "fixed cast" franchises like Mario, the main four of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser fills all the vital roles and leaves more "game specific" characters like Rosalina and Cappy an uphill battle to stand out. For "rotating cast" series like Xenoblade, it's harder since no one sticks around.
But there are some that do. What's wrong with it being difficult? Being a playable character in Smash puts you in a rightly exclusive club. The difficulty bar is raised or lowered accordingly anyway based on how many roster spots there are, how big the series is, etc.

Troykv

Smash Master
I find fascinating that a lot of characters have old schools aspects in their designs (like the fact that Megaman is closer to his sprite than to any official design of Rock as far as I remember), to the point we ended up getting a character that was chose precisely and EXCLUSIVELY for being old school.

Ice Climber is the kind of character that only a game dev making weird choices just for the sake of it could make. If Sakurai didn't made Melee, that is the character that for sure could have never existed in a Smash Sequel.

Quillion

Smash Hero
But there are some that do. What's wrong with it being difficult? Being a playable character in Smash puts you in a rightly exclusive club. The difficulty bar is raised or lowered accordingly anyway based on how many roster spots there are, how big the series is, etc.
Honestly, I just think there isn't much room for new faces to "stand the test of time", especially in the longer-running franchises where the vital roles are already filled.

And still, there's this attitude that people buy Smash for the "characters they already like the most" which by default excludes the new faces. If we really need characters that stand the test of time, "waiting and seeing" would be the ideal approach here.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Honestly, I just think there isn't much room for new faces to "stand the test of time", especially in the longer-running franchises where the vital roles are already filled.

And still, there's this attitude that people buy Smash for the "characters they already like the most" which by default excludes the new faces. If we really need characters that stand the test of time, "waiting and seeing" would be the ideal approach here.
When I say "stand the test of time," I don't necessarily mean "continue to appear in games." It's more about maintaining a strong legacy long after their debut game. Continuing to appear in games can be a part of establishing a legacy but I don't think it is strictly necessary. You're right that it is harder without being recurring but IMO some one-offs have done it to the extent that I'd feel quite comfortable putting them in Smash. If a game is considered to be one of the best on its respective console, then it's probably worth at least looking into potential characters that could be drawn from it. Having suboptimal timing relative to Smash's release cycle shouldn't have as big of an impact as it has had (not to mention the fact that several 90s and 2000s decade characters also suffered from naturally smaller rosters in the earlier Smash installments).

Quillion

Smash Hero
When I say "stand the test of time," I don't necessarily mean "continue to appear in games." It's more about maintaining a strong legacy long after their debut game. Continuing to appear in games can be a part of establishing a legacy but I don't think it is strictly necessary. You're right that it is harder without being recurring but IMO some one-offs have done it to the extent that I'd feel quite comfortable putting them in Smash. If a game is considered to be one of the best on its respective console, then it's probably worth at least looking into potential characters that could be drawn from it.
Sure, but at least continuing to appear in games is a more numerical and objective measure of establishing a legacy, even if it shouldn't be the only one.

Using audience reception as a measure is problematic at best because biases, shortsightedness, and looking at or ignoring different echo chambers can get in the way. I'd honestly put marketing prominence over audience reception as a measure of legacy, then recurrent appearances above the former two.

Come to think of it, Smash would probably be a lot better as a promotional tool if its release timing was more mid-late into the life of a console instead of early-mid. The former approach would promote characters that are already on the same console as that Smash, while the latter approach tends to focus on franchises on the previous console.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Sure, but at least continuing to appear in games is a more numerical and objective measure of establishing a legacy, even if it shouldn't be the only one.

Using audience reception as a measure is problematic at best because biases, shortsightedness, and looking at or ignoring different echo chambers can get in the way. I'd honestly put marketing prominence over audience reception as a measure of legacy, then recurrent appearances above the former two.
I mean, I did admit that it is better to appear in more games. It's not like a character shouldn't get credit for all of their appearances.

Audience reception, while not perfectly measurable, can be objectively quantified in several (imperfect, but still useful) ways. One can look at sales performance, aggregate review scores, and appearances on lists of top games (either all-time or within a particular genre or console era) published by major/reputable media outlets. If we move into more subjective variables, one can attempt to situate a game within the historical development of its series and/or genre; innovations and advances also tie into the critic reception and such as well. For the particular character (in the case that there are many possible candidates to represent the same game), one can look at performance in popularity polls or simply evaluate as best as possible their plot/gameplay importance. Of course, none of these particular factors are end-all-be-alls but they all contribute to a wholistic evaluation of legacy.

I don't see why audience reception would be too subjective but marketing prominence wouldn't. But that isn't to say that marketing prominence isn't significantly useful also. I would maintain that both should be serious considerations.

In terms of being recurring being more or less important than reception and marketing, I don't know if I'd put the three in a definitive order. Characters have different strengths and different bases for merit, and all of those should be considered.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
The problems with Pokémon and Fire Emblem's roster picks is that it eventually feels like it's going to topple over into ludicrous amounts (many say they're there already), and they always pick the most basic choices, it seems. If Fire Emblem was consolidating into, like, sword, axe/heavy sword, staff, magic, in terms of both aspects, it'd be a tad more interesting and feel less bloated. Hot take, Fire Emblem has too many characters, and a lot of them play similarly. I know, I know... Pokémon I also feel is slightly held back by the "Everyone Is Here" thing, and having to just include starters as new picks and keep Jigglypuff and Pichu around and things like that, though at least it seems to have more variation. These are part of the reasons why new picks from them don't feel like they'll be exciting, and why I'd rather they hold off on it for a bit and even focus more on adding new series.

Xenoblade...it's relatively new, they'd probably be jumping the gun to automatically give it a new one every entry, but there's basically two characters now, so it doesn't seem as egregious, and I can't even say that they're automatically guaranteed. For all we know, it'll go the way of StarFox or F-Zero by the next Smash.

In general, I'm more interested in variety and adding new things, not just going with things we basically already have. I feel a bit like this about Smash as a whole. It seems like this is a point that will get people agitated at you, though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hmm, have you considered that Noah has a SWORD INSIDE THE SWORD?
This makes him out first SWORD SQUARED character
Except Pyra/Mythra is a sword wielding a sword inside a sword wielding a sword.

Admittedly, I have a bit of a bias toward retro characters but I’m perfectly fine getting a mix of both old and new characters as we continue to expand the roster.
No new! Only retro!

1665727630947.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you mean by "merit" being a whip character, Simon already claimed that wheelhouse, so I guess Byleth had to stand out from the former some way.
well no i meant his unique class which uses the whip blade and the large pool of spells. they didn't need to make things up to make him stand out

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I finally found it: the perfect Gen 9 rep...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Top Bottom