• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I feel like the TV series tried hard to rope in interest in the series while also trying to please fans but I can't speak to whether it worked or not bc as a show I dropped out after ep 4.

But there's definitely something to this narrative that Halo is yesterday's news I just don't know what or why this is the case.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel like the TV series tried hard to rope in interest in the series while also trying to please fans but I can't speak to whether it worked or not bc as a show I dropped out after ep 4.

But there's definitely something to this narrative that Halo is yesterday's news I just don't know what or why this is the case.
The only thing I know about the Halo TV series is the Honest Trailers review, and from what I’ve seen from that, the show seems to miss the point entirely. I’ve never really been a big Halo fan in the first place but even I could feel how disappointing everything was handled. Honest Trailers aren’t really meant to be taken seriously and are mostly just for fun but I feel like that video still gave me some idea of the show.

Besides that, I used to watch Easy Allies video podcasts on YouTube before Kyle Bosman left so I used to be a bit more informed with general gaming news than I am now but they used to bring up how Halo hasn’t been able to maintain its popularity since Halo 3 and had been gradually declining since then. I think I’ve heard that the latest game helped turn the ship around with good sales and reviews but I think it had been on the decline for a long time prior to that.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm guessing there's other fps on Xbox during that time that were more popular.
I’m admittedly a bit of a Nintendo fanboy but my favorite FPS that Microsoft owns will always be Perfect Dark. Granted, I basically fell out of the genre after the N64 so I never really got into games like Halo, Battlefield, or Call of Duty but I’ll always have fond memories of GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Turok, DOOM, Wolfenstein 3D, and Duke Nukem. I did really enjoy Borderlands 2 and 3 many years later but those are pretty much the only FPS games I’ve played since the N64. I’m really tempted to try the modern DOOM games and I’m willing to give Overwatch 2 a shot if it has a local multiplayer co-op campaign like Borderlands.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I stopped playing fps after doom 2 because it made me queasy after 15 minutes with that stupid bobbing up and down to stimulate moving IRL I'm like uh no... Yes our gait or stride or terrain will require the body to move and sometimes in such a fashion but our eyes stay fixed on a point several feet in front of us so ... Lol anyway. Goldeneye was somehow not only tolerable but got me into fps again and of course for myself the ultimate expression of which is the Prime Trilogy.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Halo is still fairly relevant, its just struggling as recent titles simply haven't been the mega events that previous games were and the TV series simply took too many liberties to really please fans. In an odd way its setting within the FPS genre is its greatest strength and weakness; it doesn't come off quite as cool as certain other shooters do, but it also allows the IP to not become quite as dated like various many have. If anything I'd say that was its key advantage against GoW; Gears of War is a solid series, however it feels very tied to the 7th era where it was created and its a tricky balance to keep it evergreen without losing its identity.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also, what would all your reactions be if the next Smash game had this following Fire Emblem roster: Marth, Lucina, Ike, Byleth, Dimitri, Edelgard and Claude. Been thinking a lot, and this seems to me the perfect Fire Emblem roster.
I love Three Houses. It's my third favorite Fire Emblem game. But man. Yeah this ain't it.

And like, honestly, this is the part that bugs me the most. Okay, you added all three of the House Leaders. In a vacuum that makes sense. They're all pretty much the most popular lords in the series. But a roster of seven automatically means cuts are happening, and in that case...why on earth would you keep Byleth as well?

Not only are cuts already present on this set of seven, but Byleth would need to be reworked completely anyway if Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are present on the roster, as that means Aymr, Arheadbar, and Failnaught, respectively, would be rightfully returned to their owners. And then there's the fact that the three house leaders absolutely demolish Byleth when it comes to general popularity anyway, so a series-wide roster of seven frankly has no business adding Byleth when Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are already there and are leaps and bounds more popular.

On a roster of seven, two Three Houses characters is perfectly understandable imo. It's the most popular game with a ton of popular potential additions, so much so that I think there's genuinely a non-zero chance of us getting another Three Houses character next time, even though it'll no longer be the newest entry. In that case, either a set of Byleth and Edelgard (Byleth being a veteran and Edelgard being the most popular of the house leaders by a substantial margin) or Edelgard and Dimitri (forgoing Byleth in favor of the first and second most popular of the house leaders) would make sense.

Three characters? That's pushing it in my opinion, but it would only be even remotely understandable if said three were Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. Byleth would honestly have no business being among them if it were the case.

Four? That's absolutely ridiculous and worthy of major criticism, especially when other notably popular characters were cut in favor of them (Chrom and Robin being notable ones, considering Awakening is arguably the only other Fire Emblem game with mainstream appeal that's comparable to Three Houses on a worldwide scale) or were overlooked despite also no longer being the most recent (Alfonse, Lyn, Hector, and Celica all being some notable examples of especially popular Lord characters who would have "missed their chance").

Basically, in a franchise with sixteen (or seventeen if you count Heroes like Sakurai and IS do) main series titles (and counting), having four out of seven characters come from a single game is pretty indefensible, especially when popular characters still exist outside of said game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Nintendo vs any other company as a base game seems boring to me, cause it would mean significant cuts from the Nintendo roster. And I don't like any other gaming company enough for this.

Also, what would all your reactions be if the next Smash game had this following Fire Emblem roster: Marth, Lucina, Ike, Byleth, Dimitri, Edelgard and Claude. Been thinking a lot, and this seems to me the perfect Fire Emblem roster.
I feel like if you're going to add all three house leaders, then Byleth seems unnecessary - Byleth already felt like a compromise to prevent one house/plot from being favoured over the others, and adding all three of the house leaders does the same thing.

I'm not super familiar with Fire Emblem beyond Awakening, Three Houses, and a bit of Fates, but maybe Byleth could be replaced with Robin in this scenario? That way, we're still getting a veteran with a unique moveset, without including four characters from the same game. (plus, Awakening saved (or at least popularized) the series by my understanding, so having two characters from it seems justified - I could be mistaken on that, though)

I'd be fine with all three house leaders getting in, though - it would be interesting to see what the development team could do with them, and it would add a wider variety of weapons/playstyles.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
In a Nintendo x FE I'd be down with 30 reps each . I dunno who but like basically anyone in FEH tbh. 30 Nintendo chrs could be anyone already in smash plus your missing ones...

Laniv

Smash Lord
I'm gonna say, my ideal FE Smash roster is this:

-Marth
-Roy
-Ike
-Robin
-Lucina
-Chrom
-Tiki
-Celica.

I know, four Awakening characters (sorta) is a bit much, but I chose Tiki because she's a popular character that doesn't use a sword at all, to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
In a Nintendo x FE I'd be down with 30 reps each . I dunno who but like basically anyone in FEH tbh. 30 Nintendo chrs could be anyone already in smash plus your missing ones...
I mean, many characters are in FEH due to it being a crossover game. And 30 characters for each game for Smash Bros. is really not necessary.

That said, I'd certainly like to see a FEH rep. Although the biggest issue definitely comes from the fact that most of the settings past the main setting are more interesting than the main setting with Alfonse, Sharena, Veronica, etc. Alfonse is definitely one of the better main characters, but he's still overshadowed by most of the other characters from the later Books, including a future version of himself. I'd certainly pick Fjorm, Lif or Reginn over Alfonse.
I would want Kiran over Alfonse too, but that's mostly because of the amount of potential for Kiran to go full comedic ham and be based on their goofy portrayals, like the manga, the April Fools videos and the Chibi Theater videos. Take that away and while Kiran would be interesting with the Breidablik, I don't think they'd be as interesting being stoic and serious compared to being goofy and ham. A mix of both would be okay, depending on what they have for the non-serious side of them. But yeah, as much as I do like Alfonse, he's certainly not that interesting visually compared to the characters from later Books.

Heck, after Book 5 and how one of FEAwakening's early settings was on the planet Mars, I'd love to see Intelligent Systems try a more machinery/futuristic-like setting for a main game. Mounts being replaced by mechas, tomes being replaced by magic guns and use magic bullets for magic, the Dragons are mechanical manifestations with Manaketes being special beings capable of bringing forth and piloting them(and possibly pull some real H.R.Giger imagery with them), etc. It sounds like something they could have alot of fun with while still keeping some traditionals and whatnot.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I try as a layman to do a new FE roster
1) Marth [has alts for other sword lords]
2) Anna [wields axes, staffs, and various other items, sort of a hybrid of various incarnations of her]
3) Lyn [the other sword fighter, but also wields a bow & arrow]
4) Robin [mostly the same]
5) Edelgard [seems decently popular, doesn't overlap as much with what I imagine Anna would be as Byleth does, but she does mainly wield an axe]
And then maybe Ike or whoever a new character would be. I dunno. The hair colors vary a bit more, at least?

osby

Smash Obsessed
The hair colors vary a bit more, at least?
Funny enough, no.

Smash Ultimate has 8 FE characters with 4 different hair colors: blue, green, white, and red. Your FE roster has 5 characters and they have 4 different hair colors: blue, red, green, and white.

I'd just stop obsessing over hair colors so much, tbh. I don't get why this fanbase cares about them so much. Smash isn't a magical girl anime, you don't need everyone to have different colored hairs.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Funny enough, no.

Smash Ultimate has 8 FE characters with 4 different hair colors: blue, green, white, and red. Your FE roster has 5 characters and they have 4 different hair colors: blue, red, green, and white.

I'd just stop obsessing over hair colors so much, tbh. I don't get why this fanbase cares about them so much. Smash isn't a magical girl anime, you don't need everyone to have different colored hairs.
I guess ratio-wise, maybe it varies, but it is more a passing joke for me to mention it than anything. I will say that it is another thing that adds on to FE seeming homogenous to outsiders, although not the main thing, obviously.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My ideal Fire Emblem roster is a pretty radical departure from what we have now and I think I’m alone in my opinion. I think if we went with class/weapon based “Hero/Bowser Jr.” type characters we could represent a lot more characters in Smash with a lot less work and individual character slots. I think we should at least get a sword class, axe class, spear class, archer class, and mage class, each with a different character represented for each outfit. For this idea, we could potentially keep Ike and his moveset mostly intact but just change his weapon to an axe. I think his heavier style suits axes really well already. Marth, Roy, Lucina, and Chrom would all be made as four of the alts of the sword class with Marth serving as the default.

That’s pretty much how almost every character works in the main series as well as both Fire Emblem Warriors. The movesets are mostly class and weapon based and the individual characters add a few of their own unique spins on those such as different stats or abilities but the core moveset remains the same no matter which character it is. There are a few exceptions for characters that have a unique class but for the most part, a class system works really well overall for the series and is actually very faithful despite relying on alts. Advent Children Cloud has shown that alts can have differences as long as they don’t affect gameplay, so we can still show off each character’s personality through animations, taunts, and final smashes (as long as they play the same).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I love Three Houses. It's my third favorite Fire Emblem game. But man. Yeah this ain't it.

And like, honestly, this is the part that bugs me the most. Okay, you added all three of the House Leaders. In a vacuum that makes sense. They're all pretty much the most popular lords in the series. But a roster of seven automatically means cuts are happening, and in that case...why on earth would you keep Byleth as well?

Not only are cuts already present on this set of seven, but Byleth would need to be reworked completely anyway if Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are present on the roster, as that means Aymr, Arheadbar, and Failnaught, respectively, would be rightfully returned to their owners. And then there's the fact that the three house leaders absolutely demolish Byleth when it comes to general popularity anyway, so a series-wide roster of seven frankly has no business adding Byleth when Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are already there and are leaps and bounds more popular.

On a roster of seven, two Three Houses characters is perfectly understandable imo. It's the most popular game with a ton of popular potential additions, so much so that I think there's genuinely a non-zero chance of us getting another Three Houses character next time, even though it'll no longer be the newest entry. In that case, either a set of Byleth and Edelgard (Byleth being a veteran and Edelgard being the most popular of the house leaders by a substantial margin) or Edelgard and Dimitri (forgoing Byleth in favor of the first and second most popular of the house leaders) would make sense.

Three characters? That's pushing it in my opinion, but it would only be even remotely understandable if said three were Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. Byleth would honestly have no business being among them if it were the case.

Four? That's absolutely ridiculous and worthy of major criticism, especially when other notably popular characters were cut in favor of them (Chrom and Robin being notable ones, considering Awakening is arguably the only other Fire Emblem game with mainstream appeal that's comparable to Three Houses on a worldwide scale) or were overlooked despite also no longer being the most recent (Alfonse, Lyn, Hector, and Celica all being some notable examples of especially popular Lord characters who would have "missed their chance").

Basically, in a franchise with sixteen (or seventeen if you count Heroes like Sakurai and IS do) main series titles (and counting), having four out of seven characters come from a single game is pretty indefensible, especially when popular characters still exist outside of said game.
Of course I bring Byleth, they're the main character and still decently popular. Not having Claude, but having Edelgard and Dimitri would just be wrong. And you seem to overlook what they offer in terms of their moveset alone. Also, Awakening had 3 characters. Sure two are Echoes, but that's beside the point.

Ocarina of Time also had 5 characters in Melee, Pokemon's first generation has 6 full characters and even if you count Pokemon Trainer as one (which you shouldn't) that's 4, and the first Donkey Kong Country has 3 characters even.

It comes down to this, the most influential game in the franchise gets the most characters. And Three Houses is just that. Sure it's much, but you get the most popular characters in the franchise, and 4 unique movesets to boot.

I also like to see your source that Edelgard is the most popular, as far as I'm concerned, Dimitri is the most popular of the House leaders. His route is also the longest and has been shown the most love, both in Houses and Hopes. It's also the most traditional Fire Emblem of the three paths.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Of course I bring Byleth, they're the main character and still decently popular. Not having Claude, but having Edelgard and Dimitri would just be wrong. And you seem to overlook what they offer in terms of their moveset alone. Also, Awakening had 3 characters. Sure two are Echoes, but that's beside the point.

Ocarina of Time also had 5 characters in Melee, Pokemon's first generation has 6 full characters and even if you count Pokemon Trainer as one (which you shouldn't) that's 4, and the first Donkey Kong Country has 3 characters even.

It comes down to this, the most influential game in the franchise gets the most characters. And Three Houses is just that. Sure it's much, but you get the most popular characters in the franchise, and 4 unique movesets to boot.

I also like to see your source that Edelgard is the most popular, as far as I'm concerned, Dimitri is the most popular of the House leaders. His route is also the longest and has been shown the most love, both in Houses and Hopes. It's also the most traditional Fire Emblem of the three paths.
well they were trying to make it the most traditional

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I think the difference is that the Pokémon and Zelda characters they added to Melee were evergreen characters that have appeared in several games and are staples to the franchise. The only real exception is Sheik, who was a part of Zelda’s moveset. Three Houses characters represent one specific game, even if it is a very popular game. I think adding four characters from one game in a long running series that will never show up again (in a mainline game) is probably a bit much. I feel like it’s closer to adding Chunky Kong, Lanky Kong, and Tiny Kong from DK64 than the characters they added to Melee. I fully support one-off characters for Smash but four reps for one game might be a bit much even for me.

I feel like the house leaders could work as the default outfit for my idea for class/weapon based characters, however. Edelgard could be the default axe hero, Dimitri for spears, and Claude for archers, with all of their alts being used for characters from throughout the series.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the difference is that the Pokémon and Zelda characters they added to Melee were evergreen characters that have appeared in several games and are staples to the franchise. The only real exception is Sheik, who was a part of Zelda’s moveset. Three Houses characters represent one specific game, even if it is a very popular game. I think adding four characters from one game in a long running series that will never show up again (in a mainline game) is probably a bit much. I feel like it’s closer to adding Chunky Kong, Lanky Kong, and Tiny Kong from DK64 than the characters they added to Melee. I fully support one-off characters for Smash but four reps for one game might be a bit much even for me.

I feel like the house leaders could work as the default outfit for my idea for class/weapon based characters, however. Edelgard could be the default axe hero, Dimitri for spears, and Claude for archers, with all of their alts being used for characters from throughout the series.
That's an idea. And well, Three Houses isn't EXACTLY one-off with Three Hopes existing. This is also why I advocated for a BotW Champion, it has a sequel and a spin-off after all. To me it seems logical.

I don't quite think representing units alone as standalone fighters would work as well as you think. Edelgard and Hector for example have huge differences in fighting styles, even if they use the same weapon. Edelgard is also quite short and Hector is a bulking giant. It doesn't work too well.

Better I'd suggest for a character that makes this thing actually work, as a Pegasus Knight. Make Palla, Catria and Est standard alts and think of some others.

I also think Three Houses gives the most perfect excuse to add an axe, lance and bow fighter to Smash. There won't be a second opportunity for this am sure, and they could always cut the characters in a next Smash if they feel they have to.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Oh so like Claude is the default archer but could have an alt of say, Shinon. Or Kieran as an axe alt...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh so like Claude is the default archer but could have an alt of say, Shinon. Or Kieran as an axe alt...
Yeah, that was pretty much my idea. I personally think that’s the best way to represent the series and is actually faithful to the gameplay. Just look at Three Hopes for reference. Any unit can use any moveset. Sure each character has their own small twist, but the movesets are class based rather than character based in Fire Emblem. In Smash, characters would be assigned to the class that they start as their default specialty.

For sizes, I’d say just go with the middle ground for all the units of that class and resize the units accordingly. If that means making Edelgard larger and Hector smaller, then that’s fine. Smash’s character sizes are already accurate. Chrom is smaller than he should be, Young Link looks way too big. K. Rool, Bowser, and and Ridley are way too small (even if they had to be), I feel like Ryu looks tiny, especially when standing next to Captain Falcon, and so on.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

edlegard is not a hero

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Here's a random concept for FE representation. Get your pitchforks and torches down, although you'll be picking them back up soon.

First, the cuts, to get the bandaid ripped off: Roy, Ike, Lucina, Corrin and Chrom. All of them are due to redundancies with era representation with the newcomers I am proposing, as well as to cut down on potential bloat. I know Ike and Roy are the most popular two male FE characters of all time but Smash played a big role in that anyway, and same goes for Lucina. Corrin is the only one who is also spite. If I somehow have extra time and resources, or if I can when DLC rolls around, the order I'd bring them back in for the uniques are Ike > Roy > Ike updates > Roy decloning + updates > excess newcomers (up to and including other characters from Fates) >>>>> Corrin. Chrom and Lucina might be demoted to alts of Marth unless time is going well.

The veterans remaining are Marth, Robin, and Byleth. Marth can remain pretty much as is although I would like to see more alts (FE1 Marth, FE3 Marth, Lodestar/King Marth) and maybe we can find a way to sneak in the Geosphere as his new Down Smash, or for an alternative FS he could pull out the Binding Shield and have it do that dragon killing thing but on the other fighters. Robin has one change: for reasons that will become clear later, Nosferatu is removed completely, and in its place is Fimbulvetr (imagine an icy tornado swirling around Robin for a few seconds, which would be a passive attack option); perhaps an alteration for the FS to include multiple Awakening characters or just Morgan over Chrom. Byleth is as is, although I wish their FS was just Sublime Heaven, and I wish there was some way to incorporate Divine Pulse more creative than a counter (albeit with the 5 cuts, that's 5 less counters, so maybe Byleth can squeeze one in). Marth represents the basic lords, Robin anima magic, and Byleth the weapon triangle + bows.

The newcomers are Elincia, Lyon and Julia. These three further build upon Fire Emblem representation by taking a focus on certain concepts and ideas in the Fire Emblem series by focusing on the units other than the main protagonists. None of them are irrelevant to their games, either.

Elincia (while reading this, listen to this: Bearer of Hope from Radiant Dawn), from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn (same games as Ike) represents staves, skills, mounted units, flying units and even the obscure mechanic of dismounting, having two fighting styles based on whether she's riding her pegasus or not (that's not a thing in the Tellius games, but she's where it goes), and even unit death, as well as representing Tellius and the GCN/Wii games. To elaborate on the dismount system, she would mount her pegasus with her dismounted up special and dismount with her mounted down special. The pegasus has a lot of perks (high weight, higher speed, stronger attacks, a fantastic recovery) but also plenty of weaknesses (largest hurtbox in the game, no dodges, inability to grab, inability to grab ledges, inability to pick up new items) and her pegasus also has its own separate HP stat that when it reaches 0, it dies, and Elincia is forced dismounted for the rest of her stock (with a new up special for recovery). It heals when she's not riding it, which represents Renewal. She could even have the Triangle Attack as her Final Smash, although Stun works too (both works even better), and she would have access to it regardless of mount state. It'd be the only way to revive her pegasus without losing a stock.

For alts and colors, I imagine PoR/Princess Crimea Elincia, RD/Queen Elincia, PoR Geoffrey, RD Lucia, PoR Marcia, RD Tanith, PoR Bastian and RD Tibarn. There's another character I could imagine as a potential RD color, but he'd be a spoiler.

Lyon (The Prince's Despair) from The Sacred Stones, represents all the dark magic in the series and its varying effects, such as the HP drain of Nosferatu (which jumped ship off of Robin for that reason), the resistance penetration of Luna, the far range Fenrir, and all sorts of other gimmicky weapons, as well as representing Magvel and the GBA games. If you guys want something more practical, his down smash could be based on Dark Spikes T from Three Houses, his grab could be based on Eclipse, and I don't imagine him as particularly gimmicky, although if his down special were actually his oft-forgotten ability to summon units, that could be interesting. While Naglfar is the obvious choice for a Final Smash, I'd prefer something more inspired by what Fomortiis does (either Demon Light or Ravager via the Blood Tome, from Heroes), while Naglfar gets the illustrious position of Neutral Special.

For alts, I can see him as default, Knoll, Ewan, Riev, Nergal, Ephraim, Eirika, and Fomortiis.

Julia (the only reason she out-prioritized Micaiah is because Jugdral hadn't been done yet and Tellius had; for music, here's The Final Holy War) of Genealogy of the Holy War rounds out the trinity of magic with light magic, being perhaps the frailest but also the most spectacular of the bunch, and also having her own set of staves (hers focus more on movement; Elincia might prefer status staves like Sleep while Julia has Rewarp and Entrap). Rewarp is a basic teleporting up special, while Entrap is both her down special and her grab (having similar grab mixups to Yoshi of all characters). She'd also smuggle in some white magic, faith magic, black magic and other tomes that fit the light magic theming: Saggitae (I envision a Forward Smash), Seraphim, Abraxas and Agnea's Arrow. For her and Lyon, I'd probably try to avoid giving them regalia tomes from other continents, though it's not a hard rule: it wouldn't make sense for Julia to have Ivaldi or Lyon to have Balberith, but it would be sick as hell. Her Final Smash being the Book of Naga basically writes itself.

Alts: Default, Julius/Arvis, Seliph, Micaiah, and perhaps Deirdre as a full-on alternate character akin to Alph, with palettes for Caeda, Celica and Nanna.

If I need to sell you on Fire Emblem mages, here's some spell animations from the various titles: GBA Era, Three Houses, Radiant Dawn (Dark Magic, Regalia), FEH (comparison, best NES/SNES/PoR/DS/3DS era references). Note that if any of you want to play these games some videos will have spoilers, especially the ones relating to Radiant Dawn.

I'd love to flesh out Elincia and Lyon a lot more, and to an extent Julia as well, but the main goal of this representation was to cut down on sword bloat (the only solo sword unit here is Marth; Elincia, the next closest, has an entirely different style due to staves and her pegasus), add more style diversity, and more era diversity (3DS was comically overrepped at 4 characters; even if Awakening was a huge success, only 3 of the Fire Emblem cast were from before 2010, and only Marth before 2000; under my proposed system, Marth and Julia represent the 90's, Lyon and Elincia the 2000's, and Robin and Byleth the 2010's, with the only console redundancy being Marth and Julia both being SNES and even then Marth is based more on the DS anyhow). (Debatably, Elincia,) Lyon and Julia are even non-protagonist fighters, Lyon being an outright antagonist.

This is pretty much the sequel to my Pokémon post. To be honest, that's FAR more likely to happen (Abilities in Smash) than this, but I do think showing Fire Emblem's greater potential is the way to go, if you want to help mend its reputation without straight up nuking the series off the roster.

Top Bottom