• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
One with Tatsunako is no longer available due to licensing issue.
It goes to show why Goku is so unlikely.
They could easily strike a new deal for Tatsunoko in Japan. That’s not the hard part.

The hard part is how many people own the different rights overseas. It’s like 50 different companies that own the licensing to different Tatsunoko properties across the world so localization is a HUGE headache.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
They could easily strike a new deal for Tatsunoko in Japan. That’s not the hard part.

The hard part is how many people own the different rights overseas. It’s like 50 different companies that own the licensing to different Tatsunoko properties across the world so localization is a HUGE headache.
As much as Japanese gaming companies have tendency to care about their native land first despite foreign market bringing more money... they do still care greatly about non-Japan market. This is why Sakurai said Manga characters won't join (obviously). He already knew licensing nightmare from non-video game series especially ones from Japan. Characters like Goku can compromise important market due to licensing issue.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Makes it all the more wild that we managed to get TvC in the West in the first place.

But just think. It's implied that they had to go through the copyright holders in many regions just to get a few songs for Final Fantasy VII. If that was just for a few songs, just imagine how many more copyright holders Smash Bros. would have to go through if they wanted an anime character, especially if the anime character comes with other stuff like music and whatnot. It's certainly not fun for the game makers.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Mods would be everywhere and super developed. And I would’ve loved it.
I’m pretty impressed with how far Ultimate modding has come already. There are a ton of model imports over characters and it’s possible to make custom stages and movesets, although not many people are doing that these days since it takes a lot more work than a model import for a character. There is a cool stage mod that replaces 75m with 25m. It seems like there’s at least a few character mods released per week that personally interest me. That’s kind of crazy when you think about it.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's very depressing that twitter still seems to exist in the afterlife. These people are supposed to be at peace.
No wonder Elon Musk was so desperate to buy it...
When Ultimate was first revealed, I originally thought it was gonna run on Unreal Engine 4 at the end of the Nintendo presentation at E3 2018. So, it made me wonder; what would Ultimate look like if it did run on Unreal Engine 4?
Eh... not gonna lie, I think it'd look uglier than Brawl.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sometimes I’m glad that I’ve never really used any major social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. I’m old fashioned so I still just post on forums like here and GameFAQS and even that’s very rare for the latter. I have a Facebook account but I think I’ve only used it a few times and I still have my high school photo as my profile picture lol. I’ve never made a single Twitter post in my life.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
For those curious about the status of a certain Japanese third party...

Nintendo Life: Konami Just Recorded Its Most Profitable Year Ever

This is relevant for a couple of reasons. One, I think it puts it in an interesting status as far as potential acquisitions; it certainly is financially strong, but is also clearly not in need of selling its IP's or to be bailed out by another company. Secondly, it may be telling of Konami's future with various franchises; that there's no immediate need to put out Silent Hill and Metal Gear releases any time soon given their current AA Japan focused strategy. Finally, it suggests that a strong affiliation with Nintendo (Smash included) will likely be key to their long term strategy. If Konami wants lower cost games on a console that will still get them solid numbers, the Switch and its likely successor are the most logical choices.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Imagine the most weirdest, wildest, and strangest Smash Bros. where everyone from Ultimate is cut (From Mario to Sora), to give a chance to Mario's Question Block, The flying pig from Donkey Kong Land, Big the Cat, Slogra and Gaibon, the green genius from Pac-Man & the Ghostly Adventures, and the entire cast of the Neptunia franchise.

It would be an instant G.O.A.T.?

dream1ng

Smash Lord

This is relevant for a couple of reasons. One, I think it puts it in an interesting status as far as potential acquisitions; it certainly is financially strong, but is also clearly not in need of selling its IP's or to be bailed out by another company. Secondly, it may be telling of Konami's future with various franchises; that there's no immediate need to put out Silent Hill and Metal Gear releases any time soon given their current AA Japan focused strategy. Finally, it suggests that a strong affiliation with Nintendo (Smash included) will likely be key to their long term strategy. If Konami wants lower cost games on a console that will still get them solid numbers, the Switch and its likely successor are the most logical choices.
All this aside, for the past several years, Konami has had the strategy of not giving a **** about loaning out their properties if the money is there.

For Smash, the money will be there.

What is also worth keeping in mind though is companies aren't just scooped up during financial struggles but often are acquired during periods of high profitability as well, when they become a hot commodity and other companies get dollar signs in their eyes, while the current owners can cash out high.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
All this aside, for the past several years, Konami has had the strategy of not giving a **** about loaning out their properties if the money is there.

For Smash, the money will be there.

What is also worth keeping in mind though is companies aren't just scooped up during financial struggles but often are acquired during periods of high profitability as well, when they become a hot commodity and other companies get dollar signs in their eyes, while the current owners can cash out high.
So it can go either way? Not saying Konami is likely to get bought out (though the Sony rumors make me think SOMEBODY is at some point), just wanna make sure.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
As much as Japanese gaming companies have tendency to care about their native land first despite foreign market bringing more money... they do still care greatly about non-Japan market. This is why Sakurai said Manga characters won't join (obviously). He already knew licensing nightmare from non-video game series especially ones from Japan. Characters like Goku can compromise important market due to licensing issue.
Does anyone think Bandai Namco might be able to make a Shonen Jump Smash game?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
So it can go either way? Not saying Konami is likely to get bought out (though the Sony rumors make me think SOMEBODY is at some point), just wanna make sure.
More just that acquisitions can still be entirely plausible despite, and sometimes even due, to doing well. Not that being successful is a definite precursor to getting bought, just that if being in trouble financially is seen as an omen of acquisition, the opposite situation doesn't actually signal the opposite behavior.

Look at Next Level Games. They got to the point where they were putting out games that sold many millions of units, in turn increasing their value as a developer. The owners recognized it was a good time to cash out, and Nintendo, seeing their value and how it was likely someone else would scoop them up should they go to market, jumped on them at the offer. The management chose to sell at their highest value to date, after LM3 moved over 10 mil.

I'm not saying Konami is destined for being acquired in the immediate future either, I'm just saying success doesn't preclude getting bought out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

didnt they say blooper team was making a new silent hill?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder how unrealistic it would be to try to get everyone’s English voice actor or actress for a theoretical Shonen Jump platform fighter. A lot of anime based games tend not to be dubbed, especially big crossovers like Jump due to licensing difficulties. The lack of English voice acting is the main thing keeping me from playing most of these games since I only really watch dubbed anime. I like a lot of English voice actors and actresses and it’s hard for me to focus on reading subtitles while watching the action.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yup! That’s the one I was referring to, hope they go in-house if they reboot the series cause they could be amazing.
Hopefully they make a new one at some point. They'd have to change the gameplay somewhat since no modern system would have a two screen set-up, but there's definitely plenty of material there - series like One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach have gotten a ton of new content since then (One Piece was on Enies Lobby, Naruto had just started the time-skip, and I think Bleach had just started the Hueco Mundo arc), while JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has grown tremendously in terms of popularity. (they'd definitely draw from more than just part 3 for playable characters)

Plus, there's plenty of new series that weren't around back then, like My Hero Academia, Toriko, Assassination Classroom, Black Clover, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Doctor Stone, and likely others. (I'm nowhere near up-to-date on manga - the latest one that I've read is My Hero Academia)

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Hopefully they make a new one at some point. They'd have to change the gameplay somewhat since no modern system would have a two screen set-up, but there's definitely plenty of material there - series like One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach have gotten a ton of new content since then (One Piece was on Enies Lobby, Naruto had just started the time-skip, and I think Bleach had just started the Hueco Mundo arc), while JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has grown tremendously in terms of popularity. (they'd definitely draw from more than just part 3 for playable characters)

Plus, there's plenty of new series that weren't around back then, like My Hero Academia, Toriko, Assassination Classroom, Black Clover, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Doctor Stone, and likely others. (I'm nowhere near up-to-date on manga - the latest one that I've read is My Hero Academia)
I kinda just want it to be a games as a service because then it can include the most characters that way.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I kinda just want it to be a games as a service because then it can include the most characters that way.
I’d love it if we could get some guest characters from other manga and anime outside of Jump like we do with Smash. I’d love to see Naruto battle it out with Natsu from Fairy Tail or Ichigo take on Inuyasha. There’s a ton of other great matchups like All-Might against Wild Tiger from Tiger and Bunny that would be fun to see as well.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
I rather prefer having not only characters from Weekly Shōnen JUMP in this hypothetical fighting game, but also from other magazines from the same franchise like JUMP SQ, Shōnen JUMP+, and even the Seinen ones like Ultra JUMP or Weekly Young JUMP.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mostly just want a big anime crossover Smash game. A lot of the most iconic anime happen to be Shonen Jump so it makes sense to start there but it doesn’t matter much where the starting point is for me. I doubt something like that is very realistic because it’s probably a licensing nightmare, especially if they try to keep their English voice actors.

Ivander

Smash Legend
didnt they say blooper team was making a new silent hill?
I don't think it's 100% confirmed. For all we know, if they are doing one, they could just be doing a spin-off game and not the next main title.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Man, i haven't on this site in ages.

Anything new since February or just same old same old
Pretty much the same old same old from what I’ve noticed. I’ve just been talking about my favorite characters and sharing some moveset ideas (to the point that some people are getting sick of me talking about them but I’m over it lol).

I recently got into Ultimate modding so that’s been really cool so maybe I won’t bother people trying to push for my favorites so hard in Smash if I can just add them to Ultimate myself.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think it's 100% confirmed. For all we know, if they are doing one, they could just be doing a spin-off game and not the next main title.
well im sure the fans will be happy with something new, the series has been dormant for a while now hasnt it?

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
There was a Shōnen Sunday/Shōnen Magazine crossover fro the PlayStation Portable.
But it was a 2.5D traditional fighting game, and it's fairly mediocre.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Honesty instead of doing same discussion over and over, I think we do something more on the lines for character support. Every time in this season, Character pushing dies down which always chances for characters to get and support seems more of a fad than everything else.

Especially now as Sakurai is on his next project.

Stratos

Smash Ace
With E3 one understands that something new will appear in summer, but because of COVID-19 they canceled the direct of E3 2022. But I want to hope that this will not prevent Nintendo direct to present news.

Last edited:
Top Bottom