• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Unless that game utterly bombs, I think it is. Maybe not XC, that one is less proven, but I think it will be.

I think Nintendo wants those new games represented.

Sakurai designates a spot for a Pokemon before he's even decided on that Pokemon, and before that gen is even revealed, then works based simply on art he's given. Sakurai said the choice was down to Incineroar or Decidueye, which is awfully convenient to narrow it down from the hundreds of Pokemon to basically the two feasible ones being promoted. Sakurai said he had reservations on putting Corrin in, but he eventually did. Sakurai said he agreed there were too many FE characters, but he doesn't make all the decisions, and that Byleth wasn't even his preference from 3H.

I very much think these characters are at the behest of the other parties, be it Nintendo, TPC, IS, etc. And the thing that unifies them is a rotating selection of characters in the promotional spotlight.

Again Xenoblade is less proven, but I think it will also fit this pattern so long as it continues.
I'm gonna need a source for this one since you have my curiosity for this. I am curious if Dimitri or Edgelgard were considered before they made it Byleth

Yes. That's correct.
I refuse to accept putting Roy back into an echo. He already got some tweaks to make him stand out Luigified here

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
I refuse to accept putting Roy back into an echo. He already got some tweaks to make him stand out Luigified here
I don't think you understand what he's suggesting. He wants Roy, with his current decloned moveset, to just gain the echo label. To basically go from fighter #25 to #21ε. That's literally the only difference.
I feel like Dr Mario should count as a Mario echo though tbh.

I dont feel there's enough of a difference to separate them
I don't like the idea of Doc as a separate character but people are biased when saying this. It's literally only a suggestion because he's the same person as Mario. If the exact same Dr. Mario moveset was somehow pasted onto another character, like, say, Foreman Spike, people wouldn't advocate for turning him into an echo. The moveset–as in the function of the character–is unique enough, with plenty of distinct attributes and even attacks. The problem is his identity.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I don't think you understand what he's suggesting. He wants Roy, with his current decloned moveset, to just gain the echo label. To basically go from fighter #25 to #21ε. That's literally the only difference.
Oh I understood him just fine

I just disagree with Roy going back to being a literal clone.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Oh I understood him just fine

I just disagree with Roy going back to being a literal clone.
If Roy isn’t unique enough to be a distinct character, it means Dr. Mario and Isabelle have to be classed as echoes too.

These guys are unique enough to not be lumped in with more low-effort characters like Dark Pit or Daisy.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pikachu with a trapping move and a reflector sounds horrible. Y'all need to think more about characters' playstyles before suggesting these "more canon" ideas. It's not all about the references. Function is way more important.
Get off your high horse.
Then make Volt Tackle an actual move instead of that weird orb Final Smash, at least that's somewhat similar and an actual move instead of a made up lazy reskin of the already made up Luigi's Missile.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Dr Mario should count as a Mario echo though tbh.

I dont feel there's enough of a difference to separate them
Personally I disagree. I feel like if they insist on keeping the "echo" label, they should limit it to the characters that are practically glorified pallete swaps. Which Doc is far from. When you get past visuals he plays nothing like Mario. He's a full clone but the difference between him and say, Daisy, Dark Pit, Dark Samus, etc. is clear.

(And before someone brings up Ken - by my rules he would not be an echo fighter either. I can't find the source rn but I'm 99% sure he's only labeled an echo as a tribute to his legacy anyways, so if that's true, he's an exception that proves the rule.)

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people feel that another Animal Crossing character would play just like Villager and Isabelle, with some minor tweaks. And the thought of three nearly identical characters running around the screen pocketing everything isn’t the most appealing to them.

Which could be a reason why, despite the franchise’s quickly rising star, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of enthusiasm for a new addition among Smash fans.

Not saying they’re right, just thinking aloud here :nifty:
Funnily enough I was about to state how I think people might be overestimating AC's chances a bit and I guess I'll just explain myself. The debate around it to me feels like it boils down to "Well it's a top 4 Nintendo franchise now. That means it has to get a newcomer", That's cool man! Zelda says hi.

Sales help of couse but I'm not sure that alone is sufficient. You'd still have to sell the character itself, figuratively speaking. They'd still have to dance in Sakurai's head and to me you're right on the money with that first part because I just don't know what would make someone like Tom Nook play fundamentally distinct from Villager and Isabelle. When the latter already borrows a solid third of the former's moveset it's hard to think of something unique Nook could bring to the table. (throwing Bells around? Okay and??) Sure, New Horizons brought us crafting and terraforming and take a wild guess who we already have on the roster that could do those same things and is infinitely more popular to boot. As for a pole vault; You can sneak that in to the moveset of one of the other two reps and nobody will complain. Something that would make those two play more different from each other would be nice.

Point being, Animal Crossing feels like a series where, in spite of its large cast, its moveset potential has already been exhausted. There's only so many ways you can make a moveset for a life-sim character using everyday items interesting. That is something that its more action-heavy brethren don't really suffer from. Those three are all grander in scope and have far more to pull from. That's just my perspective on it tho.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I can't find the source rn but I'm 99% sure he's only labeled an echo as a tribute to his legacy anyways, so if that's true, he's an exception that proves the rule
He's a lot closer to Ryu than Doc is to Mario, gameplay-wise. He's based on Super SFII Turbo, where most Ryu strategies still applied to him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I don't like the idea of Doc as a separate character but people are biased when saying this. It's literally only a suggestion because he's the same person as Mario. If the exact same Dr. Mario moveset was somehow pasted onto another character, like, say, Foreman Spike, people wouldn't advocate for turning him into an echo. The moveset–as in the function of the character–is unique enough, with plenty of distinct attributes and even attacks. The problem is his identity.
As much as I hate certain echo suggestions (hello Black Knight Ike echo), I can at least see the case for Dr. Mario specifically. One of the things Sakurai has been on the record about regarding echo fighters is that they're not balanced against the rest of the roster, but against specifically the character for whom they're an echo fighter.

This is actually the case with Dr. Mario. In the data for Ultimate, Doc literally has Mario's stats with an attached "heavier, slower, stronger" modifier from the Smash 4 custom equipment selection instead of a fully unique stat spread.

It's not the best argument for him to be an echo, but it's better than most echo suggestions for sure.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Sakurai designates a spot for a Pokemon before he's even decided on that Pokemon, and before that gen is even revealed, then works based simply on art he's given. Sakurai said the choice was down to Incineroar or Decidueye, which is awfully convenient to narrow it down from the hundreds of Pokemon to basically the two feasible ones being promoted. Sakurai said he had reservations on putting Corrin in, but he eventually did. Sakurai said he agreed there were too many FE characters, but he doesn't make all the decisions, and that Byleth wasn't even his preference from 3H.

I very much think these characters are at the behest of the other parties, be it Nintendo, TPC, IS, etc. And the thing that unifies them is a rotating selection of characters in the promotional spotlight.
Pokemon might be different as I could actually see TPC having a greater amount of control, and we actually have the official statement about holding a spot open.

But if you look at the public statements of Sakurai on Fire Emblem specifically:

Just about everything is focused around timing as the primary reasoning for inclusion.
When talking about Awakening he actually even legit says (at the very least at that time) they didn't have a mandate for Fire Emblem. On top of the infamous "six months" statement regarding the timing. It certainly doesn't sound like "good timing" here just means "any time between selection cycles."
For Corrin he again just says the criteria was they were looking for a character from a "soon-to-be-released game," and Fates was just in a highly convenient spot. He mentions there were multiple consultations with Nintendo, indicating there was more discussion than just Fire Emblem being prioritized automatically over anything else.
For Byleth, he does emphasize that it was Nintendo's decision, but that applies equally well to all the DLC. Besides that he reemphasizes the factors of timing being right and wanting a character from a game people are playing concurrently with Smash Ult, which is consistent with 4's DLC specifically having a spot held for that.

Afaik there has never been any official statement indicating that the type of cast is an explicit consideration, or that IS or Monolith Soft have decision-making power. Only that sometimes they choose a character based upon the release schedule / timing, and it makes sense that a series like FE would line up for this with good frequency because it has consistent releases which constantly feature new protagonists.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
In terms of a wacky moveset Phoenix Wright could probably provide one.

The moveset that Capcom gave him in MVC feels like something the Smash bros devs would have come up with if given the chance to include Phoenix. It's a perfect translation of what it feels like to play through an Ace Attorney game.
Phoenix starts of as extremely weak and needing to use defensive moves while he wanders the stage collecting items into his court record and once he's grabed enough he transition into his "Turnabout" state where all his attacks gain an extreme power boost for a small time frame to show that he's no longer on the backfoot, with his super move changing to match him gaining ground in court.
Agreed. I rarely think this but his MvC self could absolutely be a rough blueprint for Smash.

He also doubles as a sort of “gag” character not unlike Villager/Wii Fit Trainer, whose attacks aren’t really attacks at all, which is honestly one of my favorite tropes in the Vs games. And he’s probably the most extreme example of it I can think of.

some of his moves include, but are not limited to:
  • Sneezing
  • Having a lightbulb appear over his head
  • Slipping on a banana peel
  • Tossing a stack of papers
  • Having a mischievous Shiba Inu grab opponents in his place
  • Attacking with speech bubbles
He’s unhinged. I love Capcom and would be happy with just about any new fighter from them but I don’t think very many stand the chance of being as visually interesting as Phoenix Wright.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
"Well it's a top 4 Nintendo franchise now. That means it has to get a newcomer", That's cool man! Zelda says hi.
Zelda has its main three characters, Animal Crossing doesn't. While I think Zelda warrants more representation, as long as Link / Zelda / Ganondorf are accounted for it's pretty much hit on its most consistent bases. Tom Nook is the missing link to Animal Crossing's trifecta - he's pretty much the series' co-mascot alongside Isabelle, a role he fell out of briefly but has promptly regained after New Horizons.

Sure, if the gameplay opportunities don't excite Sakurai I'm not saying they can't pass on an Animal Crossing character. But this is a lousy example.

You'd still have to sell the character itself, figuratively speaking. They'd still have to dance in Sakurai's head and to me you're right on the money with that first part because I just don't know what would make someone like Tom Nook play fundamentally distinct from Villager and Isabelle.
I mean, we've had the conversation plenty of times. I've written a lot about it. If you're not swayed then that's your prerogative but there are so many things you can do with Nook - and frankly, if I can come up with them it would be silly of me to assume Sakurai of all people couldn't.

Here's a writeup I did on it some months back:
So then, moveset. At worst, Tom Nook would be about as derivative as Wolf. I see an outlet for him that retools elements of Villager's moveset, like Pocket and the Tree, and gives a spin on it centered around this prospected money gimmick. When he pockets a projectile, it gives him bells. He can invest the bells by planting them and doubling his income with a money tree. That's one way to look at it, and I think that serves as a nice spin on it. And he's a pudgy little guy, he's probably a bit on the slow and heavy side, which may allow him to be more physical than the other two. Nook's greatest strength is that his personality is very defined, and a lot different than what we have represented right now. With how Sakurai valued Isabelle's personality and built her virtually from scratch to accommodate that, I think this is an important priority for Animal Crossing characters in Smash.

At best, there's still plenty of places to go. The bells gimmick is definitely where my mind goes first and I suspect it could be fun to have him swing around some moneybags. Nook is also a bit more stuffy than the likes of Villager and Isabelle, so I don't see him being as carefree or using a slingshot. I'd give him more of a country club or tourist-y element to his moves... a golf club, a camera flash, maybe the vaulting pole from New Horizons?

Speaking of physicality, Nook has something the others don't. He's got a raccoon tail, and perhaps by proxy a good opportunity to make cheeky Mario 3 references. Him being a tanooki allows us to fill a number of his normal attacks up with tail swipes and wiggles, which means he's doing a bit more brawling than his friends - maybe even letting him float a bit if Nintendo allows Sakurai to take some silly liberties. The furniture is not my go-to, but he is often playing the shopkeep role so that's at least an option - I do quite like the idea of him pulling out a statue and plummeting down to the stage, to sort of parody the tanooki ability to turn into stone. And I don't love resorting to summoner-type moves, but the Nooklings are attached to him at the hip and can certainly serve well to come in and grab opponents for him or swing out for some smash attacks. I'd honestly go as far to say that Tom Nook, on his own, has the most distinct potential out of any AC cast member.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My problem with another Animal Crossing character is that Isabelle also had the potential to be an interesting character but was also turned into a semi-clone. I’m apprehensive about turning Animal Crossing into a Star Fox-esque series where the representation turns into three derivatives of the same core and unlike the spacies I’m not too fond of the Villager archetype.

ScrubReborn

Smash Apprentice
He's a lot closer to Ryu than Doc is to Mario, gameplay-wise. He's based on Super SFII Turbo, where most Ryu strategies still applied to him.
I agree Ken is more cloney than Doc, and I would choose Ken if only one of the two could be an echo, but my wider point was that neither are glorified pallete swaps and I don't think characters like that should be echos.

Doc is different enough to not be an Echo, and if you change his weight class to meet Mario’s… he’d just be a better Mario, imho. :morty:
Even though it was a total accident, him basically just being better Mario actually was true in Melee. I image that's where a lot of his fans came from; I know him being "Elite Mario" there left a pretty lasting impression on my kid self.

Even after he fell behind in 4 and Ult, I say he's just holding back to let Mario and Luigi have their time.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Agreed. I rarely think this but his MvC self could absolutely be a rough blueprint for Smash.

He also doubles as a sort of “gag” character not unlike Villager/Wii Fit Trainer, whose attacks aren’t really attacks at all, which is honestly one of my favorite tropes in the Vs games. And he’s probably the most extreme example of it I can think of.

some of his moves include, but are not limited to:
  • Sneezing
  • Having a lightbulb appear over his head
  • Slipping on a banana peel
  • Tossing a stack of papers
  • Having a mischievous Shiba Inu grab opponents in his place
  • Attacking with speech bubbles
He’s unhinged. I love Capcom and would be happy with just about any new fighter from them but I don’t think very many stand the chance of being as visually interesting as Phoenix Wright.
As a small aside i think it would also be neat if he had an alt skin ala Alph or the hero's where you play as his great grandfather Ryunosuke. The protagonist of the great ace attorney.

Would take a small bit of work but if they put in the attack where Missile the dog shows up in his moveset they could easily replace Missile with Tobi, the dog from the great ace attorney.

Maybe it would also replace Maya with Susato should the attacks involving her show up

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Get off your high horse.
Then make Volt Tackle an actual move instead of that weird orb Final Smash, at least that's somewhat similar and an actual move instead of a made up lazy reskin of the already made up Luigi's Missile.
High horse? Lmao. I just said that the idea would be bad in execution. It'd either make Pikachu unbalanced or change his whole playstyle, which doesn't need to happen. Also, calling Skull Bash a "lazy reskin" of Green Missile is kinda inaccurate when they debuted in the exact same game lol. In fact, Skull Bash probably came about first considering Pikachu is part of the original 8 and was heavily featured in prerelease material whereas Luigi was a secret character till launch.
As much as I hate certain echo suggestions (hello Black Knight Ike echo), I can at least see the case for Dr. Mario specifically. One of the things Sakurai has been on the record about regarding echo fighters is that they're not balanced against the rest of the roster, but against specifically the character for whom they're an echo fighter.

This is actually the case with Dr. Mario. In the data for Ultimate, Doc literally has Mario's stats with an attached "heavier, slower, stronger" modifier from the Smash 4 custom equipment selection instead of a fully unique stat spread.

It's not the best argument for him to be an echo, but it's better than most echo suggestions for sure.
I'm not sure how that changes things. Whether Dr. Mario has unique stats or just Mario's stats with modifiers, the result remains the same: his strengths and weaknesses are way too different, to the point where he can't be balanced solely against Mario. His animations may be borrowed from Mario, but his play style and game plan are totally unique. Mario vs Dr. Mario is an even more stark difference than Ryu vs Ken, who a lot of people claim shouldn't count as an echo fighter. So Dr. Mario definitely doesn't fit the bill either.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
High horse? Lmao. I just said that the idea would be bad in execution. It'd either make Pikachu unbalanced or change his whole playstyle, which doesn't need to happen. Also, calling Skull Bash a "lazy reskin" of Green Missile is kinda inaccurate when they debuted in the exact same game lol. In fact, Skull Bash probably came about first considering Pikachu is part of the original 8 and was heavily featured in prerelease material whereas Luigi was a secret character till launch.

I'm not sure how that changes things. Whether Dr. Mario has unique stats or just Mario's stats with modifiers, the result remains the same: his strengths and witnesses are way too different, to the point where he can't be balanced solely against Mario. His animations may be borrowed from Mario, but his play style and game plan are totally unique. Mario vs Dr. Mario is an even more stark difference than Ryu vs Ken, who a lot of people claim shouldn't count as an echo fighter. So Dr. Mario definitely doesn't fit the bill either.
What I'm saying is that the evidence suggests Doc was balanced around Mario in SPITE of their clear differences. Dr. Mario's internal stats being a copypaste of Mario's with the addition of a preexisting custom parameter set from Smash 4 suggests that instead of fine tuning each and every stat to balance against the roster, they went and hit the "slower stronger Mario" button and were done with it. In other words...not too dissimilar to how echo fighters are balanced, in spite of Doc's clear differences.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
What I'm saying is that the evidence suggests Doc was balanced around Mario in SPITE of their clear differences. Dr. Mario's internal stats being a copypaste of Mario's with the addition of a preexisting custom parameter set from Smash 4 suggests that instead of fine tuning each and every stat to balance against the roster, they went and hit the "slower stronger Mario" button and were done with it. In other words...not too dissimilar to how echo fighters are balanced, in spite of Doc's clear differences.
I see your point, but I still think the different moves and especially the recovery would necessitate balancing him against the whole roster. He might be the closest in theory to an echo fighter –he even was in the "clone corner" of Smash 4's CSS alongside Lucina and Dark Pit– but he's still very far from them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I see your point, but I still think the different moves and especially the recovery would necessitate balancing him against the whole roster. He might be the closest in theory to an echo fighter –he even was in the "clone corner" of Smash 4's CSS alongside Lucina and Dark Pit– but he's still very far from them.
That's fair. My main point anyway was him being the closest thing to an echo that isn't, lol.

And yeah, the clone corner was another thing too. Forgot about that.

Jotadé

Smash Ace
You know, there's something I've been thinking a lot which isn't really brought up.

Smash Ultimate's DLC (Sephiroth's specifically) had a lot of HEAVY push to reference and acknowledge a videogame movie (Advent Children). Not just an obscure move they use in the movie or something like that, they literally have the suits from It, the reveal trailer recreates the final battle of the movie, they even use the same lines (Stay where you belong, in my memories) (I will never be a memory) and went to the point of revamping Cloud's Final Smash to the move he uses on Sephiroth in the movie.

Why do I bring up all of this? Well, we now have a Mario Animated movie which was financially successful, same with the new Sonic movies, and we have a Zelda movie in the works which could release before the end of the decade.

Basically what I'm trying to say is... The doors are now open to videogame movie stuff making its way into Smash one way or another. Be It pallette swaps, alternate costumes, Mii costumes, moves or special attacks used in the respective movies and even taunts or dialogues. Heck, maybe characters such as Foreman Spike who don't have any 3D designs outside of the movie could use the movie design be It for an assist trophy or stage background character.

So yeah, Smash 7 is gonna be interesting with all this stuff now being practically possible+who stays in the game.

Borskaboska

Smash Cadet
Sort of on the topic of echoes, for years I've been hearing people suggest giving ganon's moveset to Black Shadow and de-cloning ganon, and I don't really mind that but pretty much no one wants Black Shadow for his own merits.

But I gotta be honest, Black Shadow is pretty cool. I mean, look at this guy, he looks sick as hell. I am the one and only actual black shadow supporter.
latest-1159033104.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sort of on the topic of echoes, for years I've been hearing people suggest giving ganon's moveset to Black Shadow and de-cloning ganon, and I don't really mind that but pretty much no one wants Black Shadow for his own merits.

But I gotta be honest, Black Shadow is pretty cool. I mean, look at this guy, he looks sick as hell. I am the one and only actual black shadow supporter.
View attachment 391954
He's fun to play as in PMEX Remix, but that doesn't mean his official Smash moveset would be the exact same. Both Project M and Smash 4 took making Roy a semi-clone in different directions, for example-PM incorporates more attack animations that Roy has in FE6 (and Eliwood's from FE7), while Smash 4 has him swinging his sword in a reverse grip, something he doesn't do in FE.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You know, there's something I've been thinking a lot which isn't really brought up.

Smash Ultimate's DLC (Sephiroth's specifically) had a lot of HEAVY push to reference and acknowledge a videogame movie (Advent Children). Not just an obscure move they use in the movie or something like that, they literally have the suits from It, the reveal trailer recreates the final battle of the movie, they even use the same lines (Stay where you belong, in my memories) (I will never be a memory) and went to the point of revamping Cloud's Final Smash to the move he uses on Sephiroth in the movie.

Why do I bring up all of this? Well, we now have a Mario Animated movie which was financially successful, same with the new Sonic movies, and we have a Zelda movie in the works which could release before the end of the decade.

Basically what I'm trying to say is... The doors are now open to videogame movie stuff making its way into Smash one way or another. Be It pallette swaps, alternate costumes, Mii costumes, moves or special attacks used in the respective movies and even taunts or dialogues. Heck, maybe characters such as Foreman Spike who don't have any 3D designs outside of the movie could use the movie design be It for an assist trophy or stage background character.

So yeah, Smash 7 is gonna be interesting with all this stuff now being practically possible+who stays in the game.
In Mario's case, I was thinking of changing his and Luigi's outfits to reflect their appearances in the movie and changing Mario's Final Smash to be based on his and Luigi's beatdown of Bowser with the Super Star at the end of the movie.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Well, the main difference is that the Mario and Sonic movies are their own self-contained things while Advent Children is actually canon to FF7 as a whole.

Not to say it's impossible for those to get references of some kind, we already have Terry referencing his OVA's with one of his alt's, and the Pokemon characters have their voices from the anime, but I imagine Advent Children is a special case when it comes to significant content considering it's just straight up a continuation of its source material.

Last edited:

ShotoStar

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don’t think Sakurai 100% cares how well a game sells, if he thinks he can make a fighter from that game work.

That being said, I’m going to be bold and try to predict the next game’s base game newcomers.
  1. Waluigi
  2. Toad
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. Raven Beak
  5. Bandana Waddle Dee
  6. Meowscarada
  7. Alear
  8. Noah and/or Mio
  9. Officer Howard
  10. Ring Fit Trainee
  11. Alucard
  12. Shadow
  13. Chun-Li
  14. Rep from a new 3rd party franchise A
  15. Rep from a new 3rd party franchise B
Good list, I think there are some minor critiques I would make but overall this is a solid selection. Waluigi and B.Dee are certainly up there for fan favorites, a new Pokemon is nigh guaranteed and both Alucard and "Officer Howard" (Legionis) would be fun.

As for my picks;

1. Waluigi
2. Geno
3. Impa (AoC ver.)
4. Bandana Dee
5. Ceruledge
6. Sharena (from Fire Emblem Heroes)
7. Bulborb/A New Pikmin character
8. Noah And/or Mio
9. Octolings (echo or otherwise)
10. Ring Fit Trainee
11. Karate Joe or Rhythm Reporter
12. Isaac
13. Muddy Mole
14. Dr. Eggman
15. Malenia of Miquella (Elden Ring)
16. Ryu Hayabusa
17. Sans

Your list is good but I definitely feel like it's a "safe" list as you didn't go all-in on what new franchises would be represented so I wanted to make a less safe, more outlandish list. I tried to balance the outlandishness with still using possible candidates. My more outlandish predictions being Geno, Rhythm Heaven, Muddy Mole (Mole Mania), Malenia from Elden Ring and a non-starter Pokemon. I think the time has passed for Raven Beak which I could be wrong on but I don't see how people could argue XC3 missed it's chance while predicting Raven Beak unless it's favoritism but knowing Sakurai he really enjoys the Xenoblade franchise so he very well could still include an XC3 as a "I want this" pick. I think the same could be said of an Astral Chain character where it's time has passed but unlike XC3 it's not a game where the franchise is already represented and it sold pretty middling for a new Nintendo Franchise. ARMS did too but Mr. Yabuki asked Sakurai personally to include an ARMS character so that being the key difference. And Geno, I think he's a dark horse candidate and he's my personal sole character wish so I had to mention him even if I don't think he's likely

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Smash 4 has him swinging his sword in a reverse grip, something he doesn't do in FE.
Take a look at a sprite sheet for Roy's Sword of Seals animations from Binding Blade. It's hard to tell even zoomed in, but at the beginning of his attack animation it looks to me like he does indeed hold the sword in reverse grip, prior to lifting it over his head and actually striking.
But yeah most of his depictions are with a standard grip so it's a fairly deep reference if that's what it's supposed to be.

Laniv

Smash Champion

Mewtwo's portrayal in Smash Bros is based on its depiction in its movie (Lucario, too, if I recall correctly). So there is precedent there.

That said, you bring up Foreman Spike because of his precedence in the Mario movie. You know who else had a prominent appearance in the movie? A prominent Mario character who's still yet not made it? A Mario character who's been around since the beginning it's Toad I'm talking about Toad here.

1720223644799.png

Now is his time.

...Also, Smash 7???

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Mewtwo's portrayal in Smash Bros is based on its depiction in its movie (Lucario, too, if I recall correctly). So there is precedent there.

That said, you bring up Foreman Spike because of his precedence in the Mario movie. You know who else had a prominent appearance in the movie? A prominent Mario character who's still yet not made it? A Mario character who's been around since the beginning it's Toad I'm talking about Toad here.

View attachment 391956

Now is his time.

...Also, Smash 7???
Oooooh, Toad would work as well.

And yeah, I'm counting Smash Wii U as Smash 5 and Ultimate as 6

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oooooh, Toad would work as well.

And yeah, I'm counting Smash Wii U as Smash 5 and Ultimate as 6
Smash Wii U and 3DS are the same game. Yes they’re technically different games, but they’re also the same.

It’s like how you’ve got Sonic Colors on the Wii and then Sonic Colors on the DS. They’re different games, but they’re the same game.

But they’re different.

But they’re the same :198:

Jotadé

Smash Ace
Smash Wii U and 3DS are the same game. Yes they’re technically different games, but they’re also the same.

It’s like how you’ve got Sonic Colors on the Wii and then Sonic Colors on the DS. They’re different games, but they’re the same game.

But they’re different.

But they’re the same :198:
I think I get It now.

So in Marvel terms: It's like Peter Parker in 616 and Peter Parker in the Ultimate Universe. Different characters, but also the same character

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Take a look at a sprite sheet for Roy's Sword of Seals animations from Binding Blade. It's hard to tell even zoomed in, but at the beginning of his attack animation it looks to me like he does indeed hold the sword in reverse grip, prior to lifting it over his head and actually striking.
1720224447663.png

I can kind of see what you mean...as much as I can considering there aren't that many pixels for his hands.

That said there's probably higher-res sketches of these sprites somewhere in the IntSys offices that Sakurai got to see when remaking Roy, maybe he got the inspiration from them if they indeed show that Roy's holding his sword in a reverse grip

Gengar84

Smash Hero

View attachment 391956

Now is his time.

...Also, Smash 7???
I do think the Mario Movie really helps the chances of both Toad and Kamek. They each had fairly prominent roles and are both classic fan favorite characters in the series.

It’s just a hunch since we don’t have much precedent to go off, but I believe outside media can be really helpful for a character’s or franchise’s chances of getting into Smash. Game related movies and shows have been a thing for a really long time but I think they’ve only just started hitting their stride post Ultimate.

Here are a few game related media that could have some impact on Smash:

The Mario Movie
Sonic the Hedgehog movie
Arcane
Fallout
CastleVania
The Last of Us (if Sony is up for it)
Pokémon Horizons or short series

Top Bottom