• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Are there any characters that tick ALL the boxes, relatively popular in their game/series, Charming design and personality/traits, relevant and from a franchise already in Smash BUT the one thing going against them is the number of characters above them from the same series that have equal or more qualities.
For me it's Nia from Xenoblade, lowballing it she's got Melia, Fiora, Elma, Noah and Mio, Rex and Jin, Lora and Malos as contenders. I hate how best girl is doomed to mii costume probably forever.
And even then that's assuming we get like, any of those characters (other than Mio and/or Noah).

Ivander

Smash Legend
I tend to observe this strange effect where Isaac is least likely to be recognized by those outside his fandom. Come on, the dude was polling better than Banjo in the Ballot era by some measures.
He might've been on fan polls, but on the Smash Ballot itself? It should be noted that Banjo was the 2nd character they got that was behind Sora in terms of placement. He wasn't confirmed to be the 2nd most voted character, just that he was either Number 2 or there were one or a few characters ahead of him that were also behind Sora in votes, but they couldn't get, so Banjo & Kazooie was the 2nd viable character who got in.
Considering Isaac is Nintendo-owned, I incredibly doubt that they would've made Isaac an Assist Trophy if he actually placed higher than Banjo & Kazooie.

Edit: To make myself clear, I have no doubt that Isaac placed high in the Smash Ballot. I believe that's why characters like him, Krystal, Alucard and possibly Shovel Knight became Assist Trophies(and in Isaac's case, got back his Assist Trophy status). But with the placement we were given with Banjo & Kazooie, I don't believe Isaac placed higher than Banjo.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I tend to observe this strange effect where Isaac is least likely to be recognized by those outside his fandom. Come on, the dude was polling better than Banjo in the Ballot era by some measures.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if more people recognized Isaac, at least for a while.

It seemed like Isaac kinda had a bigger following in the Brawl and Smash 4 days. Helps that his debut appearance as an Assist Trophy in the former likely helped introduce the Golden Sun franchise to a lot of people who didn't know about the series beforehand.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I might be wrong, but I think this is the current community Elite Four

Champion: Waluigi

Crash Bandicoot
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dr. Eggman
Master Chief

Geno is an honorable mention
So here's the question, Do you guys think Eggman has taken over as the most requested Sonic Character within the Smash community, or do you guys think either of Shadow, Tails, & Knuckles are still in contention?

I am a Shadow fan, but I don't want to be too bias so I'm asking directly

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Are there any characters that tick ALL the boxes, relatively popular in their game/series, Charming design and personality/traits, relevant and from a franchise already in Smash BUT the one thing going against them is the number of characters above them from the same series that have equal or more qualities.
For me it's Nia from Xenoblade, lowballing it she's got Melia, Fiora, Elma, Noah and Mio, Rex and Jin, Lora and Malos as contenders. I hate how best girl is doomed to mii costume probably forever.View attachment 388442
Toad, Pauline, King Boo, Tiki, Lyn, Mona... y'know, basically 70% of the characters I want in.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So here's the question, Do you guys think Eggman has taken over as the most requested Sonic Character within the Smash community, or do you guys think either of Shadow, Tails, & Knuckles are still in contention?

I see Shadow and Tails getting the most discussion and support, honestly.

Knuckles is a bit further behind in support and Eggman talk and support only really started to crop up after Smash 4's DLC line-up was complete.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice

I'd say eggman and shadow have been about the same post-dlc, but now that the Year of Shadow is in full swing I think edgy hedgy's gotten the boost. Time will tell if it lasts till the next smash comes out but I'd say Shadow's gonna be the shorthand for new sonic character going forward (though eggman's fanbase will be very vocal about how great the doc is).

Noipoi

Howdy!

I think Shadow's at the top of the list rn

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Eggman has been my second most wanted after Shadow when it comes to Sonic characters (and in the Smash 4 days, someone I wanted more)....

....and I will flat out say he literally only got as much discussion as he did because :ultsephiroth: happened.
And it's not even a "well, we had no reason to speculate a secondary Sonic character until then" because people were talking about Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow well before Sephiroth.

People didn't have Eggman on their radar when Knuckles and Shadow were shown as Assists and Tails a costume with Joker, even when Vol. 2 opened up.
No, Eggman only really got brought up and bandwagoned because some other third party villain showed up. Then all of a sudden, he was this lock for the DLC and is someone "missing" now.

And while I'm glad Eggman is finally more in the speculation spotlight after being constantly overlooked for not being one of Sonic's friends, the circumstances leave a rather sour taste in my mouth if I'm being honest. Because how many are really going to put him on that same pedestal now that we're in the hypothetical the main three (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow) are back on the table?

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Or they use it where applicable? There's no reason to cut Ken or change him he's freaking busted dude
Ken’s special, just make him unqiue as he can be.

he’s pretty different from ryu. I don’t mind shared moves but smash is a ton of quality with pretty middling quality.

What I want and expect are different things. I expect a 60ish something roster base next game but 30 would be better.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
He might've been on fan polls, but on the Smash Ballot itself? It should be noted that Banjo was the 2nd character they got that was behind Sora in terms of placement. He wasn't confirmed to be the 2nd most voted character, just that he was either Number 2 or there were one or a few characters ahead of him that were also behind Sora in votes, but they couldn't get, so Banjo & Kazooie was the 2nd viable character who got in.
Considering Isaac is Nintendo-owned, I incredibly doubt that they would've made Isaac an Assist Trophy if he actually placed higher than Banjo & Kazooie.
I did not claim that he did better than Banjo on the actual Ballot. I was just using his strong polling data (given that we lack any official word on how well he did) to support my statement that he's an upper-echelon character in popularity. The fact that he was polling so well made him very visible in the community, making it even stranger that a lot of people seemingly don't perceive his popularity to be as big as I would think it is.

I would not be surprised if he was the next-most-voted first party on the ballot after whoever we already got. Remember Waluigi and several others may have been hurt to some extent by Assist status and even Bandana Dee probably suffered some vote-splitting with Magolor and other Kirby characters to varying degrees.
Though it's possible there were a lot of silent voters for an AT'd character like Waluigi. On that note, I would be massively interested in seeing where exactly Ridley in particular had placed (i.e. how much the perceived unlikelihood hurt him or if it did at all). But I digress, people seem to come after me when I talk about Ridley and the ballot.

Lastly, to be clear, I wasn't taking a dig at Banjo. Just saying Isaac is on the court with the big boys haha to me making a basketball metaphor while talking about GS, for those who get that.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Eggman has been my second most wanted after Shadow when it comes to Sonic characters (and in the Smash 4 days, someone I wanted more)....

....and I will flat out say he literally only got as much discussion as he did because :ultsephiroth: happened.
And it's not even a "well, we had no reason to speculate a secondary Sonic character until then" because people were talking about Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow well before Sephiroth.

People didn't have Eggman on their radar when Knuckles and Shadow were shown as Assists and Tails a costume with Joker, even when Vol. 2 opened up.
No, Eggman only really got brought up and bandwagoned because some other third party villain showed up. Then all of a sudden, he was this lock for the DLC and is someone "missing now.

And while I'm glad Eggman is finally more in the speculation spotlight after being constantly overlooked for not being one of Sonic's friends, the circumstances leave a rather sour taste in my mouth if I'm being honest. Because how many are really going to put him on that same pedestal now that we're in the hypothetical the main three (Tails, Knuckles, Shadow) are back on the table?
The reason I don't think Eggman got speculated so much was for two reasons:
  1. All of the characters that happened thus far were main character-types. It took until Sephiroth to make it clear to people that villains are just as much on the table as main characters.
  2. Not wanting to raise expectations. I'm sure you're familiar with this, but most people want to keep their expectations in check and don't want to go "This character is a shoe-in! I'm certain of it!" . I mean, there were Xenoblade 2 fans who were trying to keep their hype in check even when it looked like Rex, Pyra and Mythra looked like a shoe-in after Byleth and Min-Min. And even when they felt positive, many felt the need to "Let's wait and see first." before hyping themselves up.
    That's what it felt like with characters like Dr. Eggman or other villain characters at the time. I don't think anybody was against Eggman becoming a DLC character, just that most people don't want to "This character is guaranteed". Even when Byleth got into Smash Bros, while it showed us that series in Smash already could get more characters, people didn't want to raise expectations for other characters considering all of the content Byleth was bringing was only from their game and not any other FE games.
I don't think it's necessarily the fault of the fanbase of those who are open to most characters, but don't want to go so much into speculating characters and possibly hype themselves for a character that may not happen. Sure, it's kinda annoying that some characters aren't exactly given as much attention until another character came out showing that those characters are quite possible, but if anything, I'm certainly not against the attention the character gets from the speculation that comes from a character being announced, since that speculation will likely carry over with future games.
And to be fair, another "villain" character did happen after Sephiroth, so it's not like the speculation about villains didn't pay off to some degree.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

No, Eggman only really got brought up and bandwagoned because some other third party villain showed up. Then all of a sudden, he was this lock for the DLC and is someone "missing now.

They should just take after the Olympic games approach and give Sonic the same number of characters as Mario. :4pacman:

Except semi-unironically actually. Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Eggman and Metal are all fairly requested characters on their own and make up the most likely choices from Sonic (Well, a bit less so for Amy and Metal but I still think it's fair to say they're only a bit further down from T/K/S/E and still well above any of the other Sonic characters.) Maybe even include Classic Sonic if they finally want to bring Sonic's kit up to speed.

I'll even double down on the M&S Olympic joke and pair each with a rival character.

:ultmario: :ultsonic:
:ultluigi: Tails - P2
:ultpeach: Amy - Leading ladies.
:ultdaisy: ??? - There aren't really any characters that could echo Amy or any easy echoes for the other characters to serve as a substitute without demoting Shadow to echo status. You could maybe do Mighty echoing Classic where he actually serves as his echo/Doc in a roundabout way by being stronger, heavier and a bit slower. Or you could just add Rouge and not bother with trying for an echo.
:ultrosalina: Shadow - Mysterious/sad back story gang.
:ultbowser: Eggman - Main villain
:ultbowserjr: Metal - Supporting villain
:ultdoc: Classic - Alternate version of the protagonist
:ultpiranha: ??? - Either Big for the meme or a more personal choice of Team Chaotix as one character.

The idea here is basically a weird composite of Knuckles' Chaotix and Sonic Heroes.

You control either Vector (strong with high KO power but himself being fast falling combo food and a tad slow for a Sonic character) or Espio (speedy with better combo game but weak with poor kill options) and Charmy is always on-screen, anchored to the main fighter using a Ring from KC. He'd essentially be the gimmick by sending him out with side special to anchor and pull yourself towards Charmy for movement and recovery. Also potentially serving as the Up Special.

Obviously, none of this would ever actually happen but I wound up thinking about it too much and thought it'd be fun to run with it.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I did not claim that he did better than Banjo on the actual Ballot. I was just using his strong polling data (given that we lack any official word on how well he did) to support my statement that he's an upper-echelon character in popularity. The fact that he was polling so well made him very visible in the community, making it even stranger that a lot of people seemingly don't perceive his popularity to be as big as I would think it is.

I would not be surprised if he was the next-most-voted first party on the ballot after whoever we already got. Remember Waluigi and several others may have been hurt to some extent by Assist status and even Bandana Dee probably suffered some vote-splitting with Magolor and other Kirby characters to varying degrees.
Though it's possible there were a lot of silent voters for an AT'd character like Waluigi. On that note, I would be massively interested in seeing where exactly Ridley in particular had placed (i.e. how much the perceived unlikelihood hurt him or if it did at all). But I digress, people seem to come after me when I talk about Ridley and the ballot.

Lastly, to be clear, I wasn't taking a dig at Banjo. Just saying Isaac is on the court with the big boys haha to me making a basketball metaphor while talking about GS, for those who get that.
To me it feels like online speculation is a bubble within a bubble. The characters that did well on the Ballot are more or less the same ones that got the most talk online, but not exactly in the same order.
-Sora was never 1st on any fan poll iirc,
-Banjo and Kazooie were barely talked about before the infamous tweet by Spencer, mostly due to the fact that they were owned by a competitor and considered entirely out of the picture,
-Ridley support kinda died down after he was revealed as a boss, and the fact that he already had a role in Smash 4 made many consider him to be straight up unelegible,
-Simon wasn't THAT big on fan polls iirc, but Sskurai always associated his inclusion with the Ballot,
-Echoes are a different matter, but Dark Samus didn't feel like a top request to me, and was also an AT. Chrom too already had a role in Smash 4.

Turns out, the wider bubble around that bubble didn't care about the perceived likelihood of any character and just voted for who they wanted.

But yes, I think that you can track in Ultimate the characters who did really well but didn't become playable: ATs, Mii costumes and 4-star spirits are a good indicator that that character probably did particularly well.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
For me it's Nia from Xenoblade, lowballing it she's got Melia, Fiora, Elma, Noah and Mio, Rex and Jin, Lora and Malos as contenders. I hate how best girl is doomed to mii costume probably forever.View attachment 388442
To be fair, I think Nia would be a great AT. I think her healing and attacking arts would be useful there.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
To me it feels like online speculation is a bubble within a bubble. The characters that did well on the Ballot are more or less the same ones that got the most talk online, but not exactly in the same order.
-Sora was never 1st on any fan poll iirc,
-Banjo and Kazooie were barely talked about before the infamous tweet by Spencer, mostly due to the fact that they were owned by a competitor and considered entirely out of the picture,
-Ridley support kinda died down after he was revealed as a boss, and the fact that he already had a role in Smash 4 made many consider him to be straight up unelegible,
-Simon wasn't THAT big on fan polls iirc, but Sskurai always associated his inclusion with the Ballot,
-Echoes are a different matter, but Dark Samus didn't feel like a top request to me, and was also an AT. Chrom too already had a role in Smash 4.

Turns out, the wider bubble around that bubble didn't care about the perceived likelihood of any character and just voted for who they wanted.

But yes, I think that you can track in Ultimate the characters who did really well but didn't become playable: ATs, Mii costumes and 4-star spirits are a good indicator that that character probably did particularly well.
Yeah, I don't dispute that forums like these are firmly within the hardcore bubble, and how reflective the polls are is a hotly debated topic. That's why I made no such definitive conclusions about Isaac's placing, sticking to more generic statements like "he's up there with some of the most popular" and "I wouldn't be surprised if he was next up." Though my original point was just that some of the very same people who saw him top the polls have turned around to discredit his popularity.

Yes, both Sora and Banjo may have very well had a lot of silent voters who didn't appear on polls; I already mused about those possibilities with respect to AT'd or otherwise deemed-unlikely characters like Ridley.
Simon and Ridley, we don't know the exact situation. They could have gotten in "from the ballot" without necessarily being the top-ranked, rather simply high enough up to get noticed; we don't have a statement as specific as what we got for Sora. With Simon we also have the whole can of worms of combining votes for other same-series characters. In any case there was no guarantee ever that the characters chosen were the exact highest "feasible" ones; anyone higher could have been passed over for any reason whatsoever, feasibility or otherwise. I actually think that both of these could have gotten in without the ballot at all, but that's a controversial claim.

Edit: And yes, if you don't like the polling data but do like to look at who got what in Ult, the amount of content Isaac and GS got in Ult further corroborates him doing very well on the ballot.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
at least fomr somehting emily rodgers said nintendo is interested in the future of golden sun.

that alone makes issac an inevitability one day for me.

maybe not today but far better than rhythm heaven (which really deserves a spot in smash)

rythm heaven was at the perfect time during smash 4, much like palutena, they just didnt get their character.

i still think the next game will be influenced heavily but afterwards i dont know, 2015 will be such a long time after that.

theres defintly a lot of assist toprhies in there but i cna tell waht you mean by the oens who didnt do quite as well got put there.

issaac coming back, kyrstal, bomberman, zero, shovel knight.

and also consolation prizes for alucard and spring man.

the more i think about it the more likely alucard is for the next game.

he makes way too much sense, hes still the face of the series mostly and would be really good at representing the metroidvania era rather than just the nes-gensis era.

i defintly think a fair few assist trophies will be getting upgraded,

Krystal would be insane to see.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ken’s special, just make him unqiue as he can be.

he’s pretty different from ryu. I don’t mind shared moves but smash is a ton of quality with pretty middling quality.

What I want and expect are different things. I expect a 60ish something roster base next game but 30 would be better.
Yeah I guess I see where you're coming from, but I think Smash in general is more, hmm... Template-ish? If that makes sense? Since the game itself was designed so that each character has the same basic "moves," it tracks that each character would somehow feel similar to many others of their franchise and you can also tell where they borrowed ideas and transplanted them onto other franchises. In other fgs you may only have 1 or 2 clone-likes such as SF's Ryu/Ken/Akuma, or Tekken's Mishimas/Kazamas, whereas in Smash you've got a lot more design-wise to share so it's inevitable many groups of characters will emerge with same-ness.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m happy to get as many clones/echoes/whatever as they want to give us for more minor characters that never really had a chance to make it otherwise. My biggest issue is limiting an otherwise important character that could have easily stood on their own as unique to echo status. I personally believe that Dixie and Impa are two of the most logical next reps for their respective franchises and easily have enough material to work with. They could both technically work as clones but I feel that’s doing them a disservice. I feel that role is better suited for characters like Funky Kong or Princess Hilda.

Important characters that play very similarly to an existing characters in their home series are fine too (Ken, for example). Not sure if that makes sense or I’m just rambling lol.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
30 would be better.
This would be the quickest way to nosedive Smash into the pavement as a franchise. It would also be unnecessary, seeing how 85% of the current Smash roster feels very actualized and the remaining 15% that don't wouldn't need this much focus from the devs to change. Smash for Wii U/3DS had a pretty large roster and the devs still found time to rework Bowser.

Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken fans wish their rosters were more like Smash Bros., not the other way around. That's also not getting into how publishers have used smaller rosters to nickel and dime the customer with excessive DLC, some of which (like SFVI's season 1 and MK1's Shang Tsung) seemed to have been planned for the base game.

It's a Faustian bargain, man. It's not worth getting a reworked Ganondorf or Sonic if the cost is the worst aspect of modern fighters infecting Smash too.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken fans wish their rosters were more like Smash Bros., not the other way around. That's also not getting into how publishers have used smaller rosters to nickel and dime the customer with excessive DLC, some of which (like SFVI's season 1 and MK1's Shang Tsung) seemed to be planned for the base game.
Goddamn, I was so psyched about SF6 when it first came out. But the absolutely glacial pace they've been releasing new characters at has completely killed my enthusiasm for that game.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Goddamn, I was so psyched about SF6 when it first came out. But the absolutely glacial pace they've been releasing new characters at has completely killed my enthusiasm for that game.
The price of those TMNT costumes is what did it for me. Such a cool crossover killed by greedy pricing. I’m also not really huge on the more realistic graphical style. I think the Street Fighter characters generally look better with a more animated aesthetic. The create a character campaign looks fun though and is what initially got me interested.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The "quality" (whatever that means) of the fighters doesn't improve as their numbers decrease. That's a false equivalency.

In fact, if anything, as far as Smash is concerned, quality and quantity have always improved hand in hand.
We don't know about that because there has never been a Smash game with fewer characters than the previous one. Of course that might change soon.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The price of those TMNT costumes is what did it for me. Such a cool crossover killed by greedy pricing. I’m also not really huge on the more realistic graphical style. I think the Street Fighter characters generally look better with a more animated aesthetic. The create a character campaign looks fun though and is what initially got me interested.
There seems to be a very unfortunate pattern across modern fighting games:
  • Announce a sequel in a popular fighting game franchise
  • Design the game around being a platform that has long-term, post-launch support
  • Include just enough characters in the base roster to get a pass from the main fanbase, moving some originally planned characters to DLC
  • Placate casual fans who would normally view the roster as the primary selling point by including a story mode, extensive character customization, and mechanics that are friendly to newcomers
  • Release the game to relative financial and critical success
  • Spend two to five months between characters
  • Fill the game with predatory monetization systems, FOMO events, and massively overpriced cosmetics in the meantime
  • Watch as your hardcore fans turn against the game and your casual fans move on to something new
  • Scratch your head as your game loses players like the Tsar's son loses blood
It's happened with Street Fighter 6, it's happened with Mortal Kombat 1, and now it's happening with Tekken 8. Thankfully, Sakurai seems pretty conscientious about making sure DLC feels like an add-on to a complete product, rather than being pieces of what should have been a complete product. So, I have some optimism for Smash still.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
We don't know about that because there has never been a Smash game with fewer characters than the previous one. Of course that might change soon.
There have been a lot of Smash games with more characters than the previous one, though.
In all the actually tangible ways (models, animations, balancing, moveset design) quality has mostly always improved, with imo maybe the exception of Brawl where the general mechanics felt awful.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the topic of clones; you could pick any of Melee's six clones, who would you pick and why? For me:
  1. Young Link (Link clone)
  2. Falco (Fox clone)
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Peach/Zelda clone)
  4. Bubbles (Kirby clone)
  5. Mach Rider (Captain Falcon clone)
  6. Balloon Fighter (Mario/Luigi clone)
i do not follow the thinking here

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i do not follow the thinking here
I think he’s asking, if you were creating Melee from the beginning, and could choose any six clones, which ones would you have picked? In Perkilator’s case, he agreed with Young Link and Falco but would have went with different characters than we got for the rest.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think he’s asking, if you were creating Melee from the beginning, and could choose any six clones, which ones would you have picked? In Perkilator’s case, he agreed with Young Link and Falco but would have went with different characters than we got for the rest.
I meant the individual choices. two of the are so out there if they happened we’d forget all about ganondorf

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'll raise you a greater alternative!
View attachment 388456
And you thought Smash 4 Bayo or Ultimate Steve were the bane of Smash player's existence.
I remember watching a Sonic 2 Let's Play back in the late aughts where the commentator said "I wish this enemy was in Shadow the Hedgehog so I could gun it down".

Well, mentally unstable let's player from 16 years ago, Sakurai's got your back.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I meant the individual choices. two of the are so out there if they happened we’d forget all about ganondorf
Ah, yeah that makes sense lol. I’m not really sure how many of these really fit the movesets of the base character. I can’t actually think of very many other potential clones from that time period. There’s Funky Kong for DK and Maybe Boshi for Yoshi?

Last edited:
Top Bottom