• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I know I'm true to my username but having two anime swordsmen factories as opposed to just one going forward would be kinda lame. More than anything I feel like they've already squeezed out all they could and then some from that fighter template.
Though, maybe, if you don't also have all the previous ones in the same game, they'd feel more fresh... I don't know.
But even from Xenoblade I'd be more open to stuff like Melia, or from Fire Emblem finally a character on a horse (provided it could work). There are more unconventional fighting styles in those series that would still fit Smash.

Also not sure about how necessary it really is to always have the main character from the latest game. Marth worked out just fine in Melee. He even got me to buy Path of Radiance even though he wasn't in it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Xenoblade is one of my favorite series but I’d be okay if we didn’t get another newcomer in the next Smash. There are other first party series I’d like to get another character first like Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Metroid. I think Officer Howard from Astral Chain would probably be more interesting and introduce a whole new series to Smash. Isaac from Golden Sun would be fun too. Thats before getting into potential third party characters. If anyone has seen my roster, you know my list tends to lean towards third party.

I know I'm true to my username but having two anime swordsmen factories as opposed to just one going forward would be kinda lame. More than anything I feel like they've already squeezed out all they could and then some from that fighter template.
Though, maybe, if you don't also have all the previous ones in the same game, they'd feel more fresh... I don't know.
But even from Xenoblade I'd be more open to stuff like Melia, or from Fire Emblem finally a character on a horse (provided it could work). There are more unconventional fighting styles in those series that would still fit Smash.

Also not sure about how necessary it really is to always have the main character from the latest game. Marth worked out just fine in Melee. He even got me to buy Path of Radiance even though he wasn't in it.
I totally agree with the latest main protagonist point. Just defaulting to always going with the main character from the latest entry makes speculation pretty boring. The lead character is often the least interesting in order to help the rest of the cast stand out. Going with the protagonist every time for Smash can really hurt the character variety in Smash in my opinion. The same is true for always going with the first area of the game for Smash stages since they tend to be pretty plain and standard compared to the more exciting later areas.

My main most wanted XB character is actually Nia since she’s probably my favorite character in the series. In Xenoblade’s case, I think the Ouroboros is cool enough that I’d be just as happy with the main protagonists as I would for Nia if they went that route. Noah and Mio are still good characters on their own but I don’t find either as enjoyable as Nia personally.

I’ve really enjoyed several Fire Emblem games but I honestly have zero interest in Alear. I won’t be upset if they get in or anything but I’d be totally indifferent. Partially because most lords just don’t interest me much and partially because Engage just didn’t click with me. To be fair, I haven’t actually given the game a chance but just going off trailers, reviews, and gameplay videos, it was the first mainline FE I’ve passed on since I started the series with Path of Radiance.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbyleth::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultsephiroth::ultsora:

You’re telling me that these are all based off of “that fighter template” for swordies? And they’ve somehow “squeezed out all they could”?

Get real. :iwatadirect: None of these play the same.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
More than anything I feel like they've already squeezed out all they could and then some from that fighter template.
Do I have to bring up a certain mod that has more anime swordsmen than official Smash

And none of them feel redundant although Navarre doesn't really click with me for whatever reason

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So heres a Beefy Zelda in Smash AU!
I included 10 Characters (usually i go for 8 as thats the exact number mario and fe have but you could argue that zelda could get 10!)
Stages, Items, bosses and ill now work on Music!

So today i make a complete Rework of the Zelda Series in smash!
Im going to make it a bit bigger than i usually do!
I mean mario has over ten characters if you count spinoffs and pokemon has ten if you count pokemon trainer as three!
So for a series that is almost on the same level and definitavly more important and big than fire emblem i will give zelda 10 Characters! So in realistic terms this would happen in smash 7 or beyond!
But in this case its an Au were Zelda gets treated diffrently! (also its ultimate but it releases later)
Any Ways Lets Start!

Ah and by the way the point in time we are in is a little bit after TOTKs release! (so every game gets more devtime)
Ah yes also ill limit myselöf to two alts per character! They can have diffrent voice and taunts and stuff!

Link
Costumes:

His Moveset is basic and totk link uses bomb flowers! OOT Link uses Light Arrows and totk link uses ancient ones!
Young/Toon Link
Costumes:
1711387809511.png
<From Mutation Foxy on deviantart
He Might be called young link but actually its toon link when he joined in brawl he just kept his name! He is lighter and abit more floaty think of him as a mix between toon and young gameplay wise! He also has a couple of quirks to make him difffrent

1. He uses a hammer for his down smash
  2. His Boomerang is freely movable like the magic one or the ds one!
  3. He holds Bombs Over his head they deal more damage but you arent as mobile!
  4. He uses Fire Arrows (a little young link quirk)
  5. Also he uses a sword combo for his final smash

Zelda
Costumes:

Her Moveset includes the light bow heavily a lot of he basic attacks are replaced by it!
She Also uses the medalions from ALTTP for some attacks maybe!?

Sheik/ Impa
Costumes:

Okay we have to strech logic a bit lets say somehow sheik and impa share a slot i have no idea how that wouldve worked out but lets say maybe both were voted as popular charactersin the smash 2 poll? I dunno!
Their Moveset got some refrences to the Ninja side of zelda! Also deku nuts are part of their moveset!

Ganondorf
Costumes:

He Got a rework in smash ultimate turning Flacondorf into Ganondorf the demonking! He does use attacks from other incarnations of himself!
For his final smash he turns into dark beast ganon!

Midna + Wolf
Costumes:
<(no helmet)
Midna joins in Smash Brawl as the only other Zelda Character i mean we got (Sorta) two new mario characters in the game so why not! She rides on wolfink or the shadow wolf from warriors!
Skull kid
Costumes:
<(the redesign)
Skullkid uses attacks from OOT, TP and the Majora Bossfight!

Ghirahim
Costumes:

Ghirahim attacks with quick sword atttacks for his normals and his big sword from his final battle for the smash attack!
For his final smash the impriosened shows up!
Yunobo
Costumes:

He Is the representative of All gorons!
He Has all of his moves + some stuff from goron link!
For his final smash the other sages help him out!
Octorok
Costumes:

Hes a jolly lil guy just like pirahna plant! He fights by using his stretchable tentacles
as well as spitting out Rocks, Ink and other stuff!
For his final smash he summons his boss Pig Ganon!

Stages:
Im gonna say we keep 9 stages for zelda!

Smash 64: Hyrule Castle

Smash Meele: Termina Bay and Hyrule Temple

Smash Brawl: Death Mountain (with gorons) and Top Of Ganons Tower (ww)

Smash 4: Skyloft and Deku Tree

Smash ultimate: Great sky Island and Island koholint

Music:
I will Keep that mostly the same!
Although i will add the following themes:
Zelda Normal Boss Medly

Boss:
Pig Ganon
Stage:
Dark Pyrmide

Items:
Im uncreative (right now) so the items are kept almost the same

Heart Container (Wind Waker)

Fairy Bottle (same Design)

Deku Nut

Bombchu

Bunny Hood

Beetle (with Claws)

Gust Jar (minish cap)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
do you guys think a character thats as big as iron giant in multiversus would work in official smash game?
I was thinking of this idea, mostly in relation to a Monster Hunter Character, Since I Imagine adding in an Actual Monster would be in Capcom's (and Nintendo's) Preference if it was possible. The only thing is Most of the Monsters are really big, and unlike Ridley where they were able to focus on his Pure Evil, I don't think that same thing could be done with a Monster

Increasing the Size of the stages would be a start, but I think also one thing too is just the balance of everything. Sakurai is a Fan of the Classic formula of Big = Slow attacks, and it would be a first to balance that for a Really Big character in the Playable roster. There's also working how Grabs would work on them (Grabs was said to also be one of the most common area for Glitches by Sakurai). I would be interested in Giant characters, I think they add an interesting Flavor to the Roster, with examples beaing Tatsunoko vs Capcom and The Budokai Tenkaichi games (Including Sparking Zero).

I do think if Fire Emblem continues into the Promotional aspect for it's Newcomers, and Xenoblade follows in it's Footsteps, I think DLC is a perfect way to add them, so you can focus the Base roster on Characters that have more Longevity and evergreen Popularity

This isn't even to say Xenobalde 3 doesn't have Popularity, Just that going forward if they do continue to get characters from their Recent games, maybe it would be best if they were more like Bonuses as DLC

You’re telling me that these are all based off of “that fighter template” for swordies? And they’ve somehow “squeezed out all they could”?

I do agree that there's definitely more they could do with the Sword Fighter Template, Plus people do love Swords and some of the Most Requested Characters use Swords themselves, as well as the Team being well-Acquainted with animating Characters with sword

I think the thing is that Fire Emblem and Xenoblade specifically might need to change how their fighters are made, and what Formula they use, especially if they are going to be used for adding in recent characters due to the Rotating Casts and such. I think the biggest thing is the same reason these franchises could keep getting newcomers is the same reason people might be apprehensive of it that since the Cast is rotating, They aren't as Iconic to the overall series as characters with more static casts are, unless the game specifically is such a breakout hit

Typically the Main Character is going to use a Sword because a Swords are just too set in stone, But I do think it would be more interesting if they just went with whatever Popular and interesting character comes from that game, since the cast will get Rotated.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know I'm true to my username but having two anime swordsmen factories as opposed to just one going forward would be kinda lame.
Hey now, Mio is a...anime...chakramgirl.

Get real. None of these play the same.
I mean, yeah, when you just omit the half-dozen characters that DO play the same, you can totally pretend it's not a played out archetype.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I was going to say that Joker is not a swordfighter but then I remembered that this fandom doesn't care lmao.
What they really mean is anime art style period. I've dealt with plenty who lump in the Kid Icarus characters and even Min Min, etc. Though Zelda seems to be the only exception in cases like these, at least in my experience.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace

I wouldn't count Joker as he doesn't use a sword (unless you consider a knife a very tiny sword), but yeah kinda. These would be the "and then some".
Notice how what makes these characters stand out is never really the sword. For Hero it's the command menu, for Pyra/Mythra is the moveset swap and Byleth's entire thing is that he doesn't use a sword for most of his moves lol.
Characters like K. Rool, Banjo, Simon or Piranha Plant are unique because of their body type/weapon of choice. The swordsmen usually need some spice on top of that. I guess Sephiroth comes closest to my preferences since nobody else really has a sword as long as his and he gets to have crazier normals.

Not that there's anything wrong with those characters. Hero is one of my favorites. But to me it does feel like they're stretching the archetype a little thin.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I wouldn't count Joker as he doesn't use a sword (unless you consider a knife a very tiny sword), but yeah kinda. These would be the "and then some".
Notice how what makes these characters stand out is never really the sword. For Hero it's the command menu, for Pyra/Mythra is the moveset swap and Byleth's entire thing is that he doesn't use a sword for most of his moves lol.
Characters like K. Rool, Banjo, Simon or Piranha Plant are unique because of their body type/weapon of choice. The swordsmen usually need some spice on top of that. I guess Sephiroth comes closest to my preferences since nobody else really has a sword as long as his and he gets to have crazier normals.

Not that there's anything wrong with those characters. Hero is one of my favorites. But to me it does feel like they're stretching the archetype a little thin.
I suppose that part of it is how are people even defining this "archetype." Anime swordsman is far too broad and vague. Just because Marth and Sephiroth both hold swords doesn't mean they share an archetype, play style or otherwise.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As a general rule, I’m not too concerned about what weapon the character is using as long as they are otherwise interesting and unique in visuals and gameplay. Sure, I’d love more varied weapons as well but that’s secondary to the characters themselves. Like Zero is technically an anime swordsman but he’d play so differently from Marth that I’m not sure how you’d group them together. I think his closest counterpart in Smash is Mythra with Roy’s up special but he’s got a ton going for him beyond that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm okay with more anime swordsmen...as long as they are from new franchises.

I'll take a Crono, Lloyd, Isaac, Vyse, Adol or Randi. But miss me with that 'Next FE/XB character'.

There's no Iaido moveset in Smash so it is objectively incorrect to say everything has been squeezed out of the "anime swordfighter" archetype.
Anime katanaboys is different from anime swordsmen.

Shockingly, Sephiroth is our first and only anime katanaboy in Smash so far.

We need them Hayabusas, Raidens and Vergils.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I'll take a Crono, Lloyd, Isaac, Vyse, Adol or Randi. But miss me with that 'Next FE/XB' character.

Sol Badguy technically fits “anime swordsman” too but he’s got such a radically different vibe from anything in Smash that he’d easily stand out from all the other swordsmen. Not sure whether Siegfried/Nightmare counts as anime but that’s another option for a really unique swordsman.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
As a general rule, I’m not too concerned about what weapon the character is using as long as they are otherwise interesting and unique in visuals and gameplay. Sure, I’d love more varied weapons as well but that’s secondary to the characters themselves. Like Zero is technically an anime swordsman but he’d play so differently from Marth that I’m not sure how you’d group them together. I think his closest counterpart in Smash is Mythra with Roy’s up special but he’s got a ton going for him beyond that.
On Zero, Even if it wouldn't be Canon, do you think if he was added, he could be a Amalgamation of not only His Own Moveset, but also take stuff from Mega Man X as well, Since I don't know if they would add Mega Man X on his own

Though Since X can also use the Z-Saber, I guess they could share moveset together?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sol Badguy technically fits “anime swordsman” too but he’s got such a radically different vibe from anything in Smash that he’d easily stand out from all the other swordsmen.
More importantly, Guilty Gear isn't in Smash yet. So he's approved.

On Zero, Even if it wouldn't be Canon, do you think if he was added, he could be a Amalgamation of not only His Own Moveset, but also take stuff from Mega Man X as well, Since I don't know if they would add Mega Man X on his own
I think he's more likely to be an amalgamation of MMX Zero and MMZ Zero, than he is of Zero and X.

But I think it's even more likely that he'd just take after his MvC incarnation.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804

Though Since X can also use the Z-Saber, I guess they could share moveset together?
Zero should just be Zero's stuff, there is no reason to force X or any of X's moves onto Zero when both characters have enough merit to be on their own and should be on their own.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Leonardo in NASB1 is the closest we have to a swordfighter in that game, but he's a Cartoon Katanaboy.
How did Shredder play in that game? I know he’s used a katana in other media.

I'll take a Crono, Lloyd, Isaac, Vyse, Adol or Randi. But miss me with that 'Next FE/XB character'.

That’s the reason I went with Lynn for my Fire Emblem character in my roster. She’s another sword user but her katana style is pretty unique compared to other Fire Emblem characters (mostly thinking about her Warriors moveset).

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I suppose that part of it is how are people even defining this "archetype." Anime swordsman is far too broad and vague. Just because Marth and Sephiroth both hold swords doesn't mean they share an archetype, play style or otherwise.
I guess at the end of the day it mostly boils down to aesthetic reasons, but yeah the archetype is "characters who use a sword". It's not that they all play the same, but at least for me the concept of swinging a sword in the context of Smash has been explored from enough angles at this point, making them feel fresh is going to get harder and harder - I think the Smash team kinda feels the same since the sword in itself has never been the selling point of any character since... Ike, I think?

Then of course, some characters I want actually use a sword lol, I'd just like them to not go overboard with them and focus on more unprecedented stuff.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He attacks with a blade on his normals. That’s a swordie just by principle, sorry. That’s just how it is.

Yeah. You say that like somehow everybody believed these characters were only “anime swordfighter” and nothing more lmao. It’s not their ****ing personality, it’s just a base weapon.

This is groundbreaking to you? :sakbanjo:

You literally just described the spice, and now it suddenly doesn’t exist? Because they have a sword as their default weapon?

The most bland sword fighters are the Chrom and Lucina because of the removed tipper/hilter effect, but they still retain the original elegance and explosiveness their progenitors were designed to have.

I guess it’s just you man idk what else to say :snakefire:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
I'd like the next game to use platforms in more interesting ways. De-stickifying them should be the #1 priority obviously, but like, we're talking about floating chunks of terrain. I think there's a lot of unexplored potential there.

For example, maybe have a character that can grab the edges of soft platforms with a special move to better recover or maneuver around the stage. Or an attack where your character grabs the underside of a platform and swings forward to deliver an extra forceful dropkick. Stuff like that, on top of things like clasping to soft platform edges to save yourself / adjust your DI like Combo Devils is doing.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't get why you have this tone, but yes, I was talking about my thoughts/feelings. Feel free to disagree 🕊
Ten years of ridiculous “anime swordfighter” comments does things to you that you lose patience for. And brother, some of that was ridonkulous. My bad. :pcfire:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Oh, you're one of those "let's have a massive quantity of franchises" people

Franchise origin shouldn't matter if the character is fun to play, to an extent. Yeah Fire Emblem is overrepresented, Zelda is underrepresented, but we don't need to look at it as "just shove every franchise in"

How dare we put prominent and relevant Nintendo characters in the Nintendo and friends fighting game

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh, you're one of those "let's have a massive quantity of franchises" people

Franchise origin shouldn't matter if the character is fun to play, to an extent. Yeah Fire Emblem is overrepresented, Zelda is underrepresented, but we don't need to look at it as "just shove every franchise in"

How dare we put prominent and relevant Nintendo characters in the Nintendo and friends fighting game
I just like hearing new victory music and seeing new universe logos

Top Bottom