• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
1. Geno
2. Ridley
3. Skull Kid
4. Pyra and Rex
5. Fawful
6. Paper Mario
7. King K Rool
8. Midna
9. Bandana Dee

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I would want Bandana Dee and the Endless Ocean Diver in Smash both are from franchises I love but don’t get enough attention in Smash, especially EO.

If I had to guess though these would be the new Smash characters
1. Bandana Dee
2. Celica
3. Decidueye
4. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
5. Rex and Pyra
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K Rool
8. Rayman
9. Shovel Knight or Shantae

I am looking for Endless Ocean support though, so check out my thread https://smashboards.com/threads/the-diver-dives-in-endless-ocean-for-smash.456284/

Last edited:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
In terms of characters that get added but nobody asked for, like Wii Fit Trainer, my bet is on Professor Hector from Gyromite and Stack Up.

toonito

Smash Ace
My predictions:

1st party newcomers:

Bandana Dee

Mimikyu
Spring Man/Ribbon Girl

Rex & Pyra

Fire Emblem 3 Houses Rep
Pokemon Gen 8 Rep
Excitebiker

3rd party newcomers:
Simon Belmont

Geno
Ray Man
Shovel Knight

1st party echoes:
Dark Samus

3rd party echoes:
Shadow

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My predictions:

1st party newcomers:

Bandana Dee

Mimikyu
Spring Man/Ribbon Girl

Rex & Pyra

Fire Emblem 3 Houses Rep
Pokemon Gen 8 Rep
Excitebiker

3rd party newcomers:
Simon Belmont

Geno
Ray Man
Shovel Knight

1st party echoes:
Dark Samus

3rd party echoes:
Shadow
Is this including DLC?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Made some alts for Ganon.
ganonalt.png
Imaginary points to whoever can guess which alt is from which game.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
A lot of things have certainly changed since the E3 unveilment. Anyways, I initially thought there would be at least 10-12 newcomers at first and taking into consideration Sakurai's statement about not to expect any further newcomers, I'm going to predict which 6 characters that I think will be playable in the base and some for future DLC (that is if they have DLC planned):

1. A new Pokemon rep - This would be between Decidueye or Mimikyu although I would like to see a Team Rocket trainer in a similar style to Pokemon Trainer but with different Pokemon.

2. A second Xenoblade rep - Considering that Sakurai stated that if I read correctly that Sakurai stated in regards to the Smash Ultimate proposal, some say that would rule out Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Rex and Pyra. If that were the case then perhaps Xenoblade Chronicles X's Elma could be the candidate.

3. King K. Rool - This is considered to be one of the popular newcomer candidates for Smash Ultimate and it would not surprise me if he does make it in.

4. Ashley - Her assist trophy has yet to appear within Ultimate. Could she end up being promoted from Assist Trophy to playable?

5. Simon Belmont - This comes from Vergeben's leak. Now I do understand that Vergeben does have a bit of a spotty record, but so far what he has stated about Smash Ultimate is mostly true. But with Bomberman acting as an Assist Trophy, if they were to pick another secondary character from the Konami franchise, then it would be Castlevania's Simon Belmont.

6. Echo Characters: With the announcement of echo characters, I do have several ideas for which ones would fit. One of these characters that I think is possibly likely to happen would be Fire Emblem's Chrom as Ike's echo character.

Future DLC:

1. ARMS
2. Rex & Pyra
3. Another 3rd party character?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Means nothing but I will mention this

Ko Takeuchi (the warioware series creator) he retweeted a Ashley support for smash post so shows he will let ashley in for playable

Where is it now it's gone...

You know what happen most of the time when stuff gets deleted (grain of salt is what this is)

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
I have a theory regarding certain characters coming back.
Specifically Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer.
Now that the Switch is obviously more capable to handle them, even more to the point where Pokemon Trainer got a buff to switching his pokemon. I can see newcomers in the style of True Tag Team(psuedo would be like Rosalina and Duck Hunt since it's not 2 seperate models) like Ice Climbers and Transformation based character like Pokemon Trainer.

Mother/EB

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1321-4166-0636
Here is my character wishlist for Smash Switch, ranked in tiers.

MUST HAVE AT THIS POINT:

K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Waluigi
Shantae
Spyro the Dragon
Crash Bandicoot
New XenoBlade Chronicles character
Simon Belmont
Crystal
Banjo
Magnus

WOULD BE AWESOME:

Funky Kong
Cranky Kong
Shovel Knight
Mike Jones (from StarTropics)
Zeke & Julie (from Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol)
Arthur (from Ghosts 'n Goblins and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts)
Shadow, Tails, Knuckles, or Dr. Robotnik
New Mother/EB character (preferring Ninten, Paula, Kumatora, Duster, Poo, Porky, Salsa, or Boney/Rex)
Rayman
New IP rep
Midna or some other TLoZ recurring character
Bandana Dee
Viridi or Hades
Geno

OK THEN:

Alex Kidd?
Paper Mario & Luigi
Kamek
Hero & Heroine from Dragon Quest/Warrior

MinunButPichu

Smash Rookie
So, uh, yeah. This is a redundant topic, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the topic.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/402133599966724096/461164411206238219/unknown.png

This was my most recent prediction I posted about a week ago. I'll admit a bit of bias went into picking Arle & Marx because they're my most wanted characters. They do have a decent shot at joining, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Dark Samus, Shadow, & Octoling were my echo fighters. These seem to be some of the most discussed characters of having the possibility for being echos. It works because they act like echo fighters should. They're different versions of the original character with some slight modifications, like in their games. Chrom & Dixie Kong seem to also be possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if they made it.

If I were to pick the most likely 3rd Party to join Ultimate, it'd probably be Crash. He's the third biggest gaming mascot, behind Mario & Sonic, and Crash games have been on Nintendo consoles for a while. Some other options in the "Crash Category" are Banjo & Kazooie, Rayman, & Spyro.

Now...Tracer. Dumb idea, I know, but here me out. I don't think it will be Tracer, but I think we'll get another surprising 3rd Party in a similar manner to Cloud last time. I literally have no idea who this could be, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got a surprising 3rd Party like Tracer.

Now for some others I left out. If I were to edit this, I'd replace Marx with Bandana Dee. Since the Ballot seems to play a part in picking these characters, Bandana Dee's chances are pretty high, as he's often requested to join. He'd be unique as well with his spear and possibly other weapons from the Waddle's, such as Beam & Parasol.

I think between Paper Mario, Ashley, & King K. Rool, one of them will join. all got a lot of support in the ballot and still. Ashley's assist trophy hasn't been confirmed to come back, either. Potentially all three could join, but it's very unlikely; but they all would add something unique to Smash. I would also throw Captain Toad here, but I'm a bit unsure about him with Peach and what not. Maybe that's how Sakurai will represent Toad, I have no idea.

Simon Belmont has my vote for most likely to join. I'm not one to believe leaks, but the most popular/credible one so far has Simon listed as a playable character. With Snake being added, I personally think it gives him more of a chance as we now know Nintendo & Konami at least talked to each other about Smash.

Will we get a new Fire Emblem & Pokemon character? Maybe. I somewhat doubt it as we have at least 6 representatives from each series, plus Red & Pichu returning. We could see Decidueye or Mimikyu if we're lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

I'll end this off by mentioning Indie Characters. It would be a good marketing move to promote a smaller company. They could throw in Steve, or go the traditional route with Shovel Knight, Quote, Shantae, those people. If they are basing this off a ballot, Shovel Knight probably has a leg up from everyone else.

So, these are my thoughts. Sorry if I bothered anyone with my thoughts, and if you're wondering about a character I didn't mention (Geno, Springman, etc.), lemme know.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else here wish there was a separate forum for third party speculation? It's pretty depressing to see the forums have more 3rd party threads than actual Nintendo property when it's pretty certain that only 2 or 3 will get in on launch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Does anyone else here wish there was a separate forum for third party speculation? It's pretty depressing to see the forums have more 3rd party threads than actual Nintendo property when it's pretty certain that only 2 or 3 will get in on launch.
I don't see what's depressing about that.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I like the layout of the Smash ultimate newcomer template, but i'm too lazy to photo edit the blank version so i'm just typing it out.

MAIN: Zelda

Secondaries: Lucina, Robin, Rosalina

Most wanted Newcomers:

1. Bandana Dee
2. Skull kid
~Big Gap~
3. Micaiah
4. Gardevoir
5. Hector/the black knight
6. Amaterasu

Out of all of these the only one I see having a decent shot is Bandana Dee. Other than that the rest are pipe dreams I think. Ah well.

(Please just make the super smash emblem I wanted fire emblem warriors to be :( )

Least wanted newcomers:

Steve from minecraft. Maybe also K.Rool? Never really was a fan but i'm not gonna whine if he gets in or anything,

Now you can yell at me about my smashpinions. :)

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
View attachment 152003

Tell me how amazing or horrible my opinions are.
You should be ashamed. That is all.

MAIN: Palutena(/Mimikyu)

Secondaries: Sheik/Pichu

Most wanted Newcomers:
1. Mimikyu
2. Ashley
3. Elma
4. Viridi
5. Cap. Toad
6. Bandana Dee/Marx
7. Heihachi

All of my picks are totally realizable fite me.

Least wanted newcomers:
Rabbids - these things can burn tbh.
Rayman - I just never liked him much.
Decidueye - got into Pokken. Beat every other Gen 7 mon once. Someone else should get a chance. Also the unfounded "Decidueye is the most popular Gen 7 pokemon!" thing I keep seeing irritates the **** out of me. Even if I linked them all the Official Popularity poll for Japan (there isnt one anywhere else) they'd just keep saying it as if it was a fact! Grinds my gears. *Note: I don't hate Decidueye as a Pokemon.*
Any Gen 1 mon - Enough.

Last edited:

GIBBERT64

Smash Rookie
OK so my newcomers for the starting roster are
Decidueye
King.k.rool
Geno
Dixie Kong
Simon Belmont
Shadow
And finally bandana Dee

DLC
Waluigi
Isaac
Rex and pyra
Spring man / ribbon girl
Shovel knight
Crash bandicoot
Rayman
Viridi
Dr.Eggman
Tails
Shankae
Lloyd Irving
And Sora
I don't think heihachi or spyro will be in smash

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Base roster

If we get above 6

King k rool
Dixie kong
Geno
Simon belmont
Ashley
Bandana dee
Dark Samus
Isabella
Shadow or tails (the other one for dlc)
A Pokémon rep
A wtf/retro rep

Dlc
Crash bandicoot
Viridi
Waluigi (just hope anyway)
Rayman
Spring man/Arms rep
Xenoblade rep (could be in base as well)
Isaac
Sora (rumor kh3 is being made for the switch after PS4/Xbox one)
Banjo and kazooie
Spyro
Lloyd irving

EDIT: heihachi was considered by sakurai but cut do to PAC-man and hard to implement a moveset

So probably a possibility and a theory that each company will get evened out like sega, capcom and konami (assuming Simon makes it)

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Started playing Xenoblade 2 again and got thinking about their characters in Smash.

I know a lot of people think that we'll get Rex & Pyra as a team, but what if we just got Pyra? Pyra is shown with solid sword proficiency, and has additional quirks like a barrier, acrobatics, and she can throw fire. I feel like throwing her into Rex's moveset would be a disservice to these unique traits she has, when Rex is just another sword character without Pyra to make him flashy.

Then you've got Mythra who is generally awesome (and my favorite XC2 character) who would be a neat echo fighter, OR Sakurai could use them to revisit the old Zelda/Sheik transformation mechanic (unless the Pokemon Trainers are taking that niche for themselves now).

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
My most wanted are:
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Banjo and Kazooie

Others I want in:
Shovel Knight
Elma
Shantae
Rayman
Simon Belmont
Lloyd Irving
Giygas
Blaziken

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, so somebody sent me this picture over on 4chan. I guess the case must be closed then, lol.
Smash Ultimate Newcomers.jpg

So what do you guys think? Looks believable or what? Funny thing enough, it's the only time somebody doesn't namedrop Simon Belmont. I guess I could call this a leak, but I honestly couldn't care less. Definitely looks fan named though, although I do like Tails' pose.

Edit: I'd add another comment, but nobody's around currently. But I do keep seeing Amaratsu popping up everywhere. As much as I'd love to see her as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros., I somehow find it extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So, they just took the reddit post and put circles around their supposed 'leak'?

EDIT: I guess the only ones that don't have some kind of fan theory currently running on their inclusion would be Paper Mario and Ameteratsu?

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
So, they just took the reddit post and put circles around their supposed 'leak'?

EDIT: I guess the only ones that don't have some kind of fan theory currently running on their inclusion would be Paper Mario and Ameteratsu?
Apparently, somebody online created the poster and put it online. Then somebody on Reddit took the image and gave it to a source. And that source circled the nine characters. Then the Reddit user posted it online.

Keep in mind that Tails has two thumbs on his hand, which looks really weird.

Though in hindsight, I probably should have put the picture under a spoiler tag. It's been a long while since I've last visited this forum and have just gotten back to the meat of things.

Edit: Anybody want an Ameratsu discussion thread? How many people would really want an Okami representative in Super Smash Brothers, regardless of how unrealistic it may seem?

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
GUYS.

Do not trust epicgordan.

He was responsible for fake leaks during the Smash 4 days. He had his own blog on Amazon where he'd post fake Smash 4 news.

The posts related to it were on the now-purged Leaks group, but here's a link to a post I made on another board years ago mentioning it, so that should serve as sufficient evidence that I'm not making this up: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-world-is-a-fake.373746/#post-17797806

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8wy8li/analysis_on_wii_u_game_resprentation_in_smash/

Did an analysis on top 50 best selling Wii U games and their representation for Smash Ultimate

Let me all know what you think.
I appreciate the idea behind this, but I have to say this: Do not use VGChartz for this.

VGChartz is by far one of the most unreliable sites when it comes to getting sales data as it's hilariously inaccurate and poorly updated. A good example of that is Pokémon as DP is stated by Nintendo themselves to have sold 17.67M as of March 2018, VGChartz says that it sold over 18M, and it's said that for at least a year now despite DP's sales data constantly being updated every quarter. It's not the only series that has had this problem either, and the fact that it's consistently has been a problem is why it has its reputation.

If you're looking for sales data, then the only reliable source would be Nintendo themselves, Media Create/Famitsu for Japanese sales, or this compilation on ResetERA as the data is properly backed up and updated when possible in all three cases.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
GUYS.

Do not trust epicgordan.

He was responsible for fake leaks during the Smash 4 days. He had his own blog on Amazon where he'd post fake Smash 4 news.

The posts related to it were on the now-purged Leaks group, but here's a link to a post I made on another board years ago mentioning it, so that should serve as sufficient evidence that I'm not making this up: https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-world-is-a-fake.373746/#post-17797806
I mean it's a lazy enough leak attempt to hardly be worth mentioning anyway.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Okay, so somebody sent me this picture over on 4chan. I guess the case must be closed then, lol.

So what do you guys think? Looks believable or what? Funny thing enough, it's the only time somebody doesn't namedrop Simon Belmont. I guess I could call this a leak, but I honestly couldn't care less. Definitely looks fan named though, although I do like Tails' pose.

Edit: I'd add another comment, but nobody's around currently. But I do keep seeing Amaratsu popping up everywhere. As much as I'd love to see her as a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros., I somehow find it extremely unlikely.
You people refuse to let go of the relevance arguement against king k rool can you

Besides you have geno on your list (which is likely) he has relevance less than k rool

Second waddle dee (bandana dee) datamine on yoshi wooly world waddle dee amiibo is marked a smash if there is two of them and the same thing was found on daisy and look she's playable

Anyway just switch paper Mario to Simon Belmont because of vergeben leak (he got Ridley, snake, ice climber, and no cuts correct Simon and minecraft involvement are the other parts)

And Amaterasu with king k rool then it's fixed

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I’ve heard theories that the word riddle leak (the one that had words like Warrior, Doll, etc) had Amaterasu, as Folklore. Nothing for Paper Mario though.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I’ve heard theories that the word riddle leak (the one that had words like Warrior, Doll, etc) had Amaterasu, as Folklore. Nothing for Paper Mario though.
Eh, I'm talking outside of leaks, all the circled characters there bar those 2 are either "absent assist trophies" or Geno/Dixie/Heihachi who've been talked about being on Sakurai's list in the past.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh yea the dark Samus thing

I just hit me why it's very likely she's playable this time

I remembered in smash 4 the black alt for Pit was removed since dark pit is playable

So if peach lost her daisy alt it's probably a slam dunk for the dark Samus theory

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
About time I come back to this website for a little while. It would be something for me if Xenoblade Chronicles X's avatar character would be playable in Smash as I do love me some avatar/OC fighters in my fighting games (SoulCalibur series gets all my love for the character creation). I would be alright if he/she doesn't make it since I already main Mii Swordfighter and that one is guaranteed to have even more costumes and play slightly better than from Smash 4. Figured I might as well let a few people know someone wants that potential newcomer anyways. Now I fade away into inactivity again. o3o

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Okay, I decided to post the leak on Gamefaqs, and it's abundantly clear that the picture was fake, as it came from a leaker that is a well know fake leaker. Think of it as a bit of research and experimentation. I only went about posting it here just to see if anybody would like to see characters like Ameratsu or Paper Mario as playable.

The riddler is also presumably confirmed fake since the Folklore character from the riddler did imply that it wasn't Ameratsu but Ashley. So if we go by the Riddler's list:

King: King K. Rool
Ponytail: Dixie Kong
Old Man: Heihachi
Archer: Decidueye
Warrior: Simon Belmont
Secretary: Isabelle
Mech: Unknown. Speculated to be either Elma or Rex (with the latter seemingly more likely if Sakurai is to be believed).
Rhythm: Unknown Rhythm Heaven rep. Speculated to be the Chorus Kids
Folklore: Ashley
Doll: Geno
Prime Ribs: Dark Samus. A lot of people do speculate that it's Ninten, but from what I gathered, the Riddler is likely referring to Dark Samus. Especially since all these code words are more or less representing something outwardly superficial rather than obscure trivia.

Also, considering that many of these characters appear to be sharing trailers with others, it's likely that Dixie Kong, Isabelle, and maybe even Dark Samus/Ninten will be Echo Fighters.

Still, this is going to be easy to shoot down. If we do not get a mini-direct showing off King K. Rool or Dixie Kong this month--or even like the first day or two afterwards (say, Nintendo decides to delay)--then we know that its fake. Come to think of it, it's doubtful that anybody would have knowledge on what characters will be revealed and when. The likelihood is that only Sakurai and those closest to him would know what would go into each trailer and when they plan to release them. And when being translated, only a specific group of people would be permitted the opportunity to see it in order to work on it specifically.

In other words, anybody that leaks the character reveal trailers or at the very least when they plan to be released is all but guaranteed to be fake. I hate to say it, but minimal information beyond the basic necessities are almost guaranteed to be fake (such as names, or even bonus material like the Duck Hunt dog and duck working in unison, or Bowser Jr. driving in the clown car with all his alts being the different Koopalings amongst others). I am certain the riddler leak is 99% fake. Maybe if he just left the code words, that'd be one thing (and possibly even the timetable for when the final four characters would be revealed).

If Sakurai's words mean anything, the safe bet is that there will be 5-6 more newcomers, and anything extra beyond those numbers are all going to be Echo Fighters.

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
Oh noes, there's gotta be at least 12 full newcomers excluding DLC D:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Oh noes, there's gotta be at least 12 full newcomers excluding DLC D:
I wouldn't get your hopes up, because Sakurai said to not expect too many newcomers in the direct, and I honestly doubt that we're going to match the amount of unique newcomers that were added in Smash 4 excluding DLC.
Then again I could be extremely wrong, and that'd be great if I was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom