• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I wouldn't count Dedede as a villain, seeing as he's only really been evil in one game.
I know, he's usually being possessed by Dark Matter, but I was running short on characters to use.
Maybe Dark Samus or K. Rool will come in later.

onga999

Smash Rookie
With Ridley being added to the roster, I'd say there is a good chance that Sakurai is trying to include a lot more fan pleasing characters this time around. With new additions being said to be low, I'm guessing around 6-8 new characters total. With Ridley and Inkling being revealed, that leaves about 5 or 6 characters left. My prediction:

King K. Rool
Isaac
Rhythm Heaven Rep
Retro Rep
1 or 2 off the wall picks/characters that Sakurai particularly loves

I think the king of the Kremlings and Isaac are great choices to please fans and in Isaac's case it gives a new franchise representation in the game. I think the other four are what Sakurai himself would pick.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I've pieced together a list of what I think are the most likely newcomers just for the sake of compiling candidates for what seems to be a game of fan favorites. I would be interested in hearing suggestions w/ justifications and can also offer my own explanations for choices and absences if requested. Again, this is assuming that this Smash will almost entirely be focused on fan favorites (ballot choices) with only one or two exceptions for promoting recent material.

Base game newcomer candidates:

King K. Rool
Isaac
Bandana Dee
Ashley
Elma
Rayman
Banjo & Kazooie
Simon Belmont

DLC newcomer candidates:

Decidueye/Lycanroc/Mimikyu or 8th gen Pokemon
Spring Man
Rex & Pyra
Crash Bandicoot and/or Spyro
Whoever from the above list that failed to make it in the base game aside from Elma and maybe Isaac

Echo newcomer candidates:

Dixie Kong/Funky Kong
Dark Samus
Impa
Shadow/Ken/Ms. Pac-Man
Octoling
Ninten
Black Shadow
Isabelle
Chrom/Alm/Celica

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
The most likely candidates right now are:
-K. Rool (seeing how popular demand made Ridley playable he has a decently good chance)
-Rex & Pyra / Elma
-Dixie as a clone
-Gen 8th Pokemon he sees worth or no new pokemon reps

Unexpected curveballs that Sakurai may consider (even as DLC):
-Isaac
-Banjo
-Springman
-Belmont
-It either has to be a new FE16 rep or no rep at all
-Crash

Never gonna happen but are expected for some reason:
-Decidueye (seriously who came up with this)
-Lycanroc (same thing as above)
-Mimikyu (seriously?)
-Bandana Dee
-Toad / Captain Toad
-Rhythm heaven rep
-Impa
-Ashley
-Geno
-Sora
-Medusa
-Shantae
-Shovel Knight
-Sans
-Any champion from botw
-Midna
-Skull kid
-Minecraft Steve (how is this even a thing?)

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I do think Mii costumes from Smash 4 were a step in the right directon, or maybe a hint of the future. Here is my list of newcomers, either in base game or DLC.

Spring Man
Ribbon Girl (Echo)
Isaac
Bandana Dee
Rayman
Simon Belmont
Decidueye
Rex & Pyra
Celica
Zelda Rep (Either Linkle or Toon Zelda)
King K. Rool
Geno

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I know I’m late to the party but it seems that Sakurai is really aiming for this title to be his final Smash (no pun intended) title.The name, all previous fighters, most stages, character updates, this looks like it’ll be the peak of Smash games.

I hope Lana, Decidueye, Ashley and Chrom really make the cut. Eliwood as Roy’s Echo Fighter would be a nice bonus.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m all in on K. Rool after that Direct. I’m done with Smash speculation once he’s in.

GmailDotCom

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrewUp0nNintend0
Switch FC
SW 7914 1944 4102
A Castlevania character would be cool. But then I feel like smash would have a Soul Calibur esque roster if they began to add characters from non-Nintendo franchises.

The most likely candidates right now are:
-K. Rool (seeing how popular demand made Ridley playable he has a decently good chance)
-Rex & Pyra / Elma
-Dixie as a clone

Unexpected curveballs that Sakurai may consider (even as DLC):
-Isaac
-Banjo
-Springman
-Belmont
-It either has to be a new FE16 rep or no rep at all
-Crash

-Decidueye (seriously who came up with this)
-Lycanroc (same thing as above)
-Mimikyu (seriously?)
-Bandana Dee
-Toad / Captain Toad
-Rhythm heaven rep
-Impa
-Ashley
-Geno
-Sora
-Medusa
-Shantae
-Shovel Knight
-Sans
-Any champion from botw
-Midna
-Skull kid
-Minecraft Steve (how is this even a thing?)
Yeah I was wondering if he'd consider a character who hasn't been in a Nintendo game before because I feel like that would just be weird and awkward. I mean imagine Minecraft Steve being pummeled by Donkey Kong. I can definitely see Crash being added though with the collection now on the switch & I'm really hoping for a Castlevania character. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon was released recently and Ritual of the Night is well on its way so maybe we'll see a protagonist from that franchise. Shovel Knight would be a cool character too, now that I'm thinking about platformers.

Tried making a chess set out of Nintendo's greatest villains.
View attachment 148154
maybe you can make the pawns minions of Bowser & Dedede (Waddle Dee, Koopaling) just an idea.

A Castlevania character would be cool. But then I feel like smash would have a Soul Calibur esque roster if they began to add characters from non-Nintendo franchises.
characters that haven't been in a Nintendo franchise*

Use this thread for general speculation discussion regarding newcomers to Smash on Nintendo Switch. As always, please refer to the Smash on Nintendo Switch Guidelines before posting.

:bubblebobble:
I want Alucard so bad! :4miisword:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Current standing of my icon roster.
1528946475464.png

Unfortunately won't be able to take requests at the moment due to real life, but I'll try working through my current queue of requests when I have time.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
I havent been in this sub in four years and can I just say that im beyond hyped for this game and these next 6 months will be pure torture. Im just gonna drop a **** ton of what i predict could be next to come, and let me know what you guys think.

As far as newcomers i cant be anymore content with what we have now, but if I were predict whats to come I would go with atleast SEVEN more characters to come for the base game rounding up to 72 charcaters total for the base game.

1) Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven Rep)

Starting off with this series is a little funny cause out of all my picks, I see this character to be the least likely to join Smash. What keeps this character on my list is the rumors of its inclusion being in the last title even with the "Gematsu" leak. Though a leak could mean anything, the concept of the character seemed interesting and even hearing of their data within the game led me to believe they were close to being developed. If the chorus kids were to be a grouped character to work similar as the "ice climbers" or even "pkmn trainer" I could see why the character may have been scraped due to the 3DS limitations. Though this is only my speculation I would love to them represented in Smash, especially with their recent 2015 title Rhythm Heaven Megamix for the 3DS. Their moveset could heavily rely on rhythm timed movement bringing unique techniques to the table.

2) Decidueye (PKMN Gen 7 Rep):

Sun & Moon representation is already shown to be in game so it wouldnt be to farfetche'd to see something from the 2016 title. With now 9 PKMN characters represented in smash (7 if were talking slots) we have some popular new Alolan Pkmn to choose from. Lycanroc, Mimikyu and Incineroar seem to be a strong lead
as far as plausible picks but for me Decidueye takes the cake with his Grass/Ghost typing, unique possiblities in its moveset and final smash being its Spirit Shackle Z Move.

3) Spring Man (ARMS/Orginal Switch Title):

The 2017 title would well represent one of the Switch's new series and fits the theme of smash perfectly. His techniques and attacks could be creatively implemented, and his inclusion would add a nice modern day representation to smash ultimate.

4) Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles):

A tough one to think about here (If we dont get two playable reps in this series). Elma from "Xenoblade Chronicles X" in the 2015 title, one the main characters in Chronicles X could provide a great addition to the xenoblade franchise. But i have both a weak and strong argument aganist tge characters inclusion if we were to choose ONE new rep. The weaker argument is that the players avatar was the true protagonist throughout the game compared to Xeno 2 where you play as Rex & Pyra, the stronger argument is Xenoblade 2 is very popular and with Ultimate coming to the switch and the game going to be atleast a year old by its release, I could see Rex getting implented especially since the game considered the 2nd in its series. (The alternative for Elma in my case would be her as an assist trophy).

5) Byleth (Fire Emblem Three Houses):

In the possiblity Sakurai goes all out in this new title and we dont see DLC, i wouldnt be suprised if we see the protagonist from the new "2019 FE" title be included. Just like Roy and Corrin he would be a character put in without the charcters game of origin even being sold in stores (though Fates was out in Japan in 2015 but not the US). He would most likely end up the last character you battle in Allstar mode since he would be the newset among every other fighter.

6) Simon Belmont (Konami/Popular Classic):

The vampire slayer being hinted in recent leaks from "Vergeben", Snake returning as a veteran and Bomberman as an assist trophy only makes his inclusion seem more plausible and could be a great way to represent one of konamis greatest series that exceled on the nintendo back in the 80s. Naturally I could see them using his classic design other then Simons more recent appearences.

7) Rayman (Ubisoft Representaion):

From a trophy in the previous smash to being playable in the best iteration yet. His inclusion would honestly top the game off and the Rabbids as an assist trophy wouldnt hurt especially with their recent popularity with the Mario & Rabbids game

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
So here is my prediction based on the information now available. I think this will probably be Sakurai's last Smash Bros., and the last we see of the series for a while. So I'm expecting that there will be a focus on fan favorites for most if not all the character reveals. I'm predicting about one new character reveal per month with the total playable characters being around 70-75, up to 80 if they add DLC later. The characters I believe will be revealed are:
- King K. Rool & Geno do to their mii costumes in the last installment.

- One of Sakurai's wild trolling picks that will have a very mixed reaction.(This will probably be one of the next couple reveals. And I think Rabbids is a high possibility.)

-A couple new 3rd party characters. I don't think there will be to many more given how many are in already. They will most likely be 2 or 3 from the following list: Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Rabbids, another classic character from Capcom or Namco., or ugh... Steve from Minecraft.

- Another female character( There is a lot of possibilities for this one, none I am particularly sure of.)

-There maybe one or two more echo fighters revealed as well.

-Anything else hidden in game will likely be characters Sakurai picks.

- If there is DLC it will probably be characters from newer releases chosen primarily to advertise those games.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
After that presentation I'd put the most likely down as:

1. K. Rool
  2. Bandana Dee
  3. Simon Belmont
  4. Elma (still don't buy the timeline being great for Rex/Pyra, nor do I beleive that the mech was really just bought for Inkling's gun)
  5. Ashley
  6. Rayman
With Dixie Kong coming in as an echo (and apparently Dark Samus too).
It seems like this game's focussing a lot on the fan favourites.

I personally predict a new Zelda character too since I'm not sure Sakurai would be too happy for half the Zelda reps literally being Link. Skull Kid and Tingle are both still absent so I think they're possible, though Impa as an Echo is also still on the cards.

I also give an outside chance to Isaac (fan factor) and Porky (possible Mother representation hints, as well as his stage coming back when he's already been a boss character and we've now seen that transition happen).

Also the Vergeben leak seems more reputable which puts Minecraft in the spotlight, whether this means a stage, assist or Steve is still up in the air.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Something I think is worth pointing out about the leak that said Minecraft would get content, is that now that we've gotten Bomberman as an assist it's absolutely possible that Minecraft could get just a stage. (or an assist)

Which could mean great things for Banjo & Kazooie. Since they'd hardly partner with Microsoft if they weren't getting a playable character out of it.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Yeah they are. Smash created the arena fighter genre. fallout and TES are just 2 other games in a saturated FPS survival genre. I'm not denying their quality, but they are strikingly similar to hundreds of other games. Smash was revolutionary at its inception and is still the only game series to do what it does at such a consistent quality.
How original Smash 64 was is irrelevant here. Fallout 76 and TES: VI are more different than their predecessors than SSBU is from Sm4sh.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
How original Smash 64 was is irrelevant here. Fallout 76 and TES: VI are more different than their predecessors than SSBU is from Sm4sh.
Dude, 76 is a lot of garbage thats been done before in the survival genre and recieved large amounts of criticism. Bethesda's only big announcements were the TITLES of games that are at least 2 years away (both were stated to be next gen) and a new Doom. Wolfenstein's become a biennial release which is hardly big news, and Prey got DLC. they were funny and well presented but Bethesda showed jack all.

I'm not saying Nintendo won, they didn't, it was practically a Smash Bros direct with FE and Mario Party tacked on (though the indies were nothing to scoff at), but to say Bethesda "won" is ridiculous.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
After watching my presentation, I'm going to predict some of my choices of newcomers and echo characters:

Newcomers:
1. Simon Belmont - with Vergeben stating most of his facts within leak to be accurate, it would not be a surprise if Castlevania's vampire hunter makes it into the game considering that he should be unveiled within the next six months before the game's release.
2. A new Pokemon rep - I still predict that this is highly likely to happen whether it is Decidueye or Mimikyu.
3. A 2nd Xenoblade - Whilst it is difficult to predict a character from the series, I still think a 2nd Xenoblade rep will happen. Personally I would guess at Rex & Pyra but I wouldn't mind Xenoblade Chronicles X's Elma.
4. Retro reps - With Takamaru still an assist trophy, I would opt with Excitebiker or perhaps Ayumi Tachibana.
5. Another third party - With a vast array of third party characters entering Ultimate, other than Simon Belmont, I have a feeling that there maybe another guest character joining the fray. My choices include someone from the Tekken series, another series from SEGA, Slime from Dragon Quest, Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden, Jack Frost of Shin Megami Tensei and perhaps Rayman.

Echo Characters:
1. Ryu's Echo Character: Ken Masters, Akuma or Sakura.
2. Pikachu's Echo Character: Raichu
3. Cloud's Echo Character: Zack Fair
4. Ike's Echo Character: Chrom
5. Robin's Echo Character: Celica

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
-Bandana Dee
Explain please. And don't give the Sakurai Bias reason because it doesn't make any sense considering Kirby and King Dedede's Final Smash.
Also don't even thin kabout using the species argument.

I see these reasons all the time so if you have an actual reason I would be curious to see.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
How are Rex/Pyra/Elma likely again? There's nothing to base it on
I mean Xenoblade 2 was the first game in the series to break 1 million sales.....that sounds like an endorsement to me. (although I suppose that would only help them if they were dlc)

Though with that said I'm still not sure if they can make it in, because this Smash seems very focused on fan service. Which makes me think newer characters could struggle this time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry if this seems rude, but I really don't get why people still think we might get someone from Gen 8, which has been confirmed to release next year.
That's quite the bold statement. What makes you so sure they're "never" gonna happen? It's really hard to take you seriously when you're not providing any explanations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Something just occurred to me;

Now that Ganondorf has a sword, Samurai Goroh has a chance to inherit Ganondorf's moveset in the next Smash Bros. game.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Copy and pasting from the Lyn thread:

If not already implemented then there would certainly be an awkward implementation to prevent certain characters from appearing from assist trophies while they're being played. Otherwise I do agree, with enough fan demand and hassling it's certainly possible that assist trophies can make the transition within their own games as the DLC comes.

I don't believe it's likely over alternatives but fan demand really is proving to be more important than Sakurai's 'rules' as of late.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Its to bad that Takamaru is assist trophy but I got Daisy shes like my number 1 I got my dream princess trio Peach Daisy and Rosalina oh baby this game is going to be 10/10 unless we dont have to go back and play previous smash games to play a surrender character they all in one game. I hope they change Peach Final Smash gosh she needs it bad.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Yeah they are. Smash created the arena fighter genre.
Namco actually created the arena fighter genre with the Outfoxies. Sakurai just made the genre popular when he scrapped The Dragon King game with Nintendo characters.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
In RTC we are voting on the characters we most overrated and underrated come on down.

Life_After_Death

Smash Rookie
My most wanted:

Newcomers:
King Boo
King K Rool
Porky Minch
Samurai Goroh, Pico, or Deathborn
Wonder Red
Mach Rider
Simon Belmont

Echo fighters:
Chrom (Ike)
Black Shadow (Ganondorf)
Dark Samus (Samus)
Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Shadow (Sonic)

I'm hoping that at least 2 or 3 characters on my list makes it in.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
That's quite the bold statement. What makes you so sure they're "never" gonna happen? It's really hard to take you seriously when you're not providing any explanations.
And what exactly makes you think someone like Decidueye has a higher chance than, let's say Incineroar, exactly? Let me guess:

-"we need a grass starter because we'll have the Fire-Water-Grass type triangle represented!"
It's a nonsensical and pointless theory and it's been debunked anyway now that pokemon trainer is back. What else? He's popular? Zoroark used to be back in the day and guess what happened to him.

-He appeared in Pokken and his chances are higher then everyone else [they also included pikachulibre as an alt so they are taking that game into consideration]?
Well, I guess Gengar, Sceptile, Weavile, Gardevoir, etc. have as much of a chance as he does.

- "B-but he's an archer, there's a moveset there!"
So are Pit, Link, Toon Link, Young Link. Again, nothing new. Literally any character can have a unique moveset, even a piece of turd, so that doesn't mean much.

I know it sounds I'm just attacking him personally, but it's just that some like to jump into the bandwagon of some characters because everyone else does too and they fear having a personality of their own. Plain and simple, Sakurai does whatever the heck he wants in the end, there are no rules set in stone and he usually aims for what catches his attention instead of what the "entirety of the smash fanbase which resides in the interwebz (which is in reality a very small minority)" thinks would suit best (which is fine by me because most of the requests would make a hideous roster). I also feel like that if he were as popular as people make him seem to be, he would've been announced already.

I'm sorry if this seems rude, but I really don't get why people still think we might get someone from Gen 8, which has been confirmed to release next year.
The games may come out next year, but early drafts and concepts are done way before the game even starts development. Sakurai already said in an interview he got illustrations of Greninja back when XY wasn't even announced. But why didn't he add Inklings for example you may ask, well, he probably knew about them but Splatoon was a hit or miss unlike Pokemon. Absolutely no one expected it to be this popular so it's not a good comparison and that's why I'm on the fence with Springman now since he's in a similar situation.

But hey man, if I'm proven wrong I'm wrong, I don't really care. You can shove it in my face all you want.

Explain please. And don't give the Sakurai Bias reason because it doesn't make any sense considering Kirby and King Dedede's Final Smash.
Also don't even thin kabout using the species argument.

I see these reasons all the time so if you have an actual reason I would be curious to see.
I don't even understand what you're trying to say with that first sentence, anyhow.

Let's think about it rationally: what odds does he have in favor? He has appeared in a few titles where you can play with friends together as Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight and him, as a player 4 so-to-speak, not because of anything in particular but rather because there's really no one else left, had it been a waddle doo with a parasol they would've went with it and nothing would've changed. But unlike Meta knight and Dedede that doesn't make him any special, he's just there to fulfill a role any other could've filled just as good.

If that weren't the case and he's a recurring character in the franchise because the kirby devs see he's fun, he's been around for a while now, even before Brawl if I'm not mistaken. So why is it that he hasn't been added after 10+ years? Sakurai hates him? No. He doesn't want people to think he's biased with his own creation? That's not it either. It's because Sakurai/ the people in charge of deciding characters just see him as a plain waddle dee who happens to have a spear. He's just esthetically boring to look at as a newcomer, and let's be real, his moveset would end pretty lame and uninspired too, which is why we'll never get stuff like Toad or a goomba either.

Same thing as I said to the other guy, you can request for anyone you like but don't expect others to roll with it. Feel free point at me and laugh if he actually manages to make the cut.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And what exactly makes you think someone like Decidueye has a higher chance than, let's say Incineroar, exactly? Let me guess:

-"we need a grass starter because we'll have the Fire-Water-Grass type triangle represented!"
It's a nonsensical and pointless theory and it's been debunked anyway now that pokemon trainer is back. What else? He's popular? Zoroark used to be back in the day and guess what happened to him.

-He appeared in Pokken and his chances are higher then everyone else [they also included pikachulibre as an alt so they are taking that game into consideration]?
Well, I guess Gengar, Sceptile, Weavile, Gardevoir, etc. have as much of a chance as he does.

- "B-but he's an archer, there's a moveset there!"
So are Pit, Link, Toon Link, Young Link. Again, nothing new. Literally any character can have a unique moveset, even a piece of turd, so that doesn't mean much.

I know it sounds I'm just attacking him personally, but it's just that some like to jump into the bandwagon of some characters because everyone else does too and they fear having a personality of their own. Plain and simple, Sakurai does whatever the heck he wants in the end, there are no rules set in stone and he usually aims for what catches his attention instead of what the "entirety of the smash fanbase which resides in the interwebz (which is in reality a very small minority)" thinks would suit best (which is fine by me because most of the requests would make a hideous roster). I also feel like that if he were as popular as people make him seem to be, he would've been announced already.

The games may come out next year, but early drafts and concepts are done way before the game even starts development. Sakurai already said in an interview he got illustrations of Greninja back when XY wasn't even announced. But why didn't he add Inklings for example you may ask, well, he probably knew about them but Splatoon was a hit or miss unlike Pokemon. Absolutely no one expected it to be this popular so it's not a good comparison and that's why I'm on the fence with Springman now since he's in a similar situation.

But hey man, if I'm proven wrong I'm wrong, I don't really care. You can shove it in my face all you want.

I don't even understand what you're trying to say with that first sentence, anyhow.

Let's think about it rationally: what odds does he have in favor? He has appeared in a few titles where you can play with friends together as Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight and him, as a player 4 so-to-speak, not because of anything in particular but rather because there's really no one else left, had it been a waddle doo with a parasol they would've went with it and nothing would've changed. But unlike Meta knight and Dedede that doesn't make him any special, he's just there to fulfill a role any other could've filled just as good.

If that weren't the case and he's a recurring character in the franchise because the kirby devs see he's fun, he's been around for a while now, even before Brawl if I'm not mistaken. So why is it that he hasn't been added after 10+ years? Sakurai hates him? No. He doesn't want people to think he's biased with his own creation? That's not it either. It's because Sakurai/ the people in charge of deciding characters just see him as a plain waddle dee who happens to have a spear. He's just esthetically boring to look at as a newcomer, and let's be real, his moveset would end pretty lame and uninspired too, which is why we'll never get stuff like Toad or a goomba either.

Same thing as I said to the other guy, you can request for anyone you like but don't expect others to roll with it. Feel free point at me and laugh if he actually manages to make the cut.
If you seriously think a single special move counts as being an archer, I don't know what to tell you.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
If you seriously think a single special move counts as being an archer, I don't know what to tell you.
Oh yeah, they'll definitely make him shoot arrows left and right for all his smash attacks and aerials. Of course.

What else does he have besides that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom