• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer: Flint & Boney. A cowboy and his dog.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
From all the Earthbound characters that could make an appearance in SSBB. My favorite would be Flint. He is Lucas and Claus father and you start your adventure with him. He use a plank as his main weapon and Brawl could use a cowboy character (If you are thinking about Sheriff, he really doesn't have any personality and is very generic to me. And Tin Star is just an only-America release, so I don't think Sakurai knows much about this character).

Ill give you some moves he could have so you can get the idea.

FLINT & BONEY- Boney would follow Flint, like the Ice Climbers. But Boney would just attack for some attacks

Bforward-Boney Bite, sends his dog, Boney, to attack the enemy in front of Flint.
Bup- Brandish, he swings his plank around. Like Link's Up B, but lasts longer, have less knockback and he can move a bit while he is spinning. In the air, Flint elevates a bit, like Link
Bdown-Harden, Flint braces himself and rejects any damage. Its like an infinite shield, but Flint cant roll out of it and it has a LOT OF lag after doing it.
Bneutral-Accumulate power, Flint charges power for a strong plank attack. Like Marth or Roy B neutral.

EDIT: To everyone who knows more of Mother 3. Please post a better moveset, because mine... kinda... sucks. I havent finished the game yet.

Grab-Flint use a rope to tie the enemies at distance cowboy-style. Like Samus or Link grab.

SUPER-All Out Attack, Flint gets in rage and starts hitting you with the plank in a rampage. This is a 1 hit KO, but Flint gets 100% damage. And it has like 20% chances of success.

If you want to know, Flint is the cowboy and Boney is the dog. The two boys are Lucas (blonde hair kid) & Claus (orange hair kid). Art thanks to FlintofMother3, who would surely love Flint in Brawl.

OK, now post whatever you think about this dude. Or if you prefer another Earthbound character. All reasonable thoughts will be appreciated.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I love the idea, and I can definitely see him making it in as a fighter, right up there with Kumatora, before Lucas and Claus. But, no offense, your moves could be tweaked a little. He doesn't get any other skills or anything?

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
I love the idea, and I can definitely see him making it in as a fighter, right up there with Kumatora, before Lucas and Claus. But, no offense, your moves could be tweaked a little. He doesn't get any other skills or anything?
Well, I just saw the first chapter. And I got the attacks info from some website. So until I can play and understand the entire game, this is the best I can do. If someone knows more about Flint and wants to support something, I will be very grateful. Just remember to put the respective spoiler warnings, cuz many of us havent finished the game yet.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I thought Lucas was the main character of Mother 3(or was it Claus?) so they're more likely to be in than he is.

Conker1

Smash Ace
Flint is my number two choice for a new Earthbound character. Number one being Jeff

But beating people with a 2x4 just sounds vey fun.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Info about Flint in Mother 3:

-He does not learn any more moves. What he starts with is what he gets
-You only play as him for the first chapter, then you move on to Lucas, Kumatora, Duster, and Much later, Claus.
-He does use planks and boards, but so does Lucas. Lucas' first weapon is a board he inherits from his despondent Father. Only later does he use bats.
-Flint loses all will to live after the first chapter, for spoilerific reasons.

Flint WOULD be awesome is smash, but not without understanding just how small his role in the game actually is.

My pick is actually Duster, Just because he is made of Win, Limp, and Clark Gable mustache.

Oh, and for the one who asked, they do still use PSI in Mother 3. Lucas and Kumatora are the main users. Flint, Boney, Duster, Salsa, (Claus?) and the other playable characters do not use PSI.

For the record, this is a quick list (In order of importance) of game-importance for the PCs I have encountered:

-Lucas - Main character
-Kumatora, Duster, Claus - Secondaries, the Paula, Jeff, and Poo of this game
-Boney/Bonnie - The "King"(Dog) of this game, Stick around you for a very long time.
-Flint - First chapter, you know about him.
-Salsa - A Monkey that you play as in one of the mid-chapters. I can't read japanese, so I'm not really that sure what he's all about.

There you are

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I never thought a cowboy could be awesome, I want him over any other Mother 3 characters.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
FlipTroopa said:
Here's the same YTMND, with better music, IMO. http://ssbbmother.ytmnd.com/

And now that I think of it, Flint would be a really cool addition, you just.... can't find good specials.
Thats cuz' he doesn't have any. He has four moves, and they all revolve around hitting people with that log he carries around. Combining him with Boney/Bonnie is actually a pretty good idea, just to fluff up his moveset.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot! said:
Thats cuz' he doesn't have any. He has four moves, and they all revolve around hitting people with that log he carries around. Combining him with Boney/Bonnie is actually a pretty good idea, just to fluff up his moveset.
Please someone give moveset ideas. If Marth could make it with a moveset based on pure sword attacks, Flint can make it with a plank and a dog (let's add an oxidised nail to the plank for the ultimate weapon :chuckle: ).

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
-Lucas - Main character
-Kumatora, Duster, Claus - Secondaries, the Paula, Jeff, and Poo of this game
-Boney/Bonnie - The "King"(Dog) of this game, Stick around you for a very long time.
-Flint - First chapter, you know about him.
-Salsa - A Monkey that you play as in one of the mid-chapters. I can't read japanese, so I'm not really that sure what he's all about.
Actually Claus doesn't join you for anything outside of one fight in the Prologue. Anything else I can tell you would only spoil the story. (I've said it a hundred times people, Claus DOES have enough to set him apart from Lucas as Smash Bros. material but it would blow huge chunks of the story wide open.)

Flint, as stated before, is only playable in Chapter 1 and Salsa is only playable in Chapter 3. The main posse, starting from Chapter 4 to the end of the game, (even though the other three are indeed playable during other parts of the first three chapters) consists of Lucas, Kumatora, Duster, and Boney.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Marshigio said:
I never thought a cowboy could be awesome, I want him over any other Mother 3 characters.
What are you talking about? Cowboys pwn! They're right up there with Pirates, Ninjas, and Samurai. Don't confuse Cowboys with a) Brokeback Mountain (BTW they were actually shepherds), b) Country Music singers, or c) John Wayne. Watch just about any Clint Eastwood western (with exception to Paint Your Wagon), especially the Man With No Name Trilogy (Fistful of Dollars; For a Few Dollars More; and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) and Pale Rider - I assure you it'll change your perspective on "Cowboys" and "Westerns".

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I'm confused. If Claus is in there for only 1 fight, and Boney is only there for a few chapters, who are the 4 main people that you do the main adventure with?

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I used to think cowboys were cool. But then there was Brokeback Mountain..... and now this. Hard to make my mind up.

Seeing how someone said you only get Flint for a bit, I say his chances are 30/70

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FoulQ said:
He has no chance, he's not even the main character of an already obscure game.
In Japan, this game is far from being obscure, is one of the most anticipated sequels of all times (no joking here). And Flint is the character which you control in the first chapter. So anyone who just started this game will surely know this character.
Also, if you remember, in the Earthbound 64 trailer (cancelled game, later released for GBA as Mother 3), Flint got the spotlight in the video,.So also many people remember him from there. In fact, if Earthbound 64 had been released in the first place, you could be playing Lucas, Duster, or even Flint, in SSBM.

FoulQ

Smash Apprentice
Tomasiarity said:
In Japan, this game is far from being obscure, is one of the most anticipated sequels of all times (no joking here). And Flint is the character which you control in the first chapter. So anyone who just started this game will surely know this character.
Also, if you remember, in the Earthbound 64 trailer (cancelled game, later released for GBA as Mother 3), Flint got the spotlight in the video,.So also many people remember him from there. In fact, if Earthbound 64 had been released in the first place, you could be playing Lucas, Duster, or even Flint, in SSBM.
Okay, it is huge in Japan, but Sakurai said he had to please both audiences of both USA and Japan. I just think that if they even did add a character from that game it would be Lucas because he seems to be the main character, apparently.
Ohoho Flint was in a trailer...I think characters that actually stand a chance, like Sonic/Megaman (I know they are 3rd party)/Toad have been in a few thousand or so trailers.

I like the ytmnd video. It is cool. But, being the rational person I am, Flint simply has no chance. Let's just face reality here and stop daydreaming.

It's not that he has no chance, its just pretty low.
As in <1%

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FoulQ said:
Okay, it is huge in Japan, but Sakurai said he had to please both audiences of both USA and Japan. I just think that if they even did add a character from that game it would be Lucas because he seems to be the main character, apparently.
Ohoho Flint was in a trailer...I think characters that actually stand a chance, like Sonic/Megaman (I know they are 3rd party)/Toad have been in a few thousand or so trailers.

I like the ytmnd video. It is cool. But, being the rational person I am, Flint simply has no chance. Let's just face reality here and stop daydreaming.

As in <1%
Yes, they want to please both audiences. But bringing Mother 3 characters would be the perfect way to introduce the Mother 3 release to the American country.
Sonic, Megaman and Toad have already a secure place in Brawl. No need to argue about those characters. But its good to talk of the characters that still have slight chances of getting in. I think Flint has like 15%.
If every character idea could get his ytmnd video, every idea would be highly supported, even the lame ones.
BTW, Kirby inhale+Flint=Kirby with cowboy hat and a beard=very cool :chuckle:

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Toad and Megaman don't have a secure place in Brawl...

Anyway, I doubt Flint would be in this since he's not the main character, but I'd like to see him.

Is Mother 3 even coming to the US?

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
Toad, Sonic, and Megaman don't have a secure place in Brawl...
Fixed. Like Megaman, he has a high chance, but it's not completely secured.

I do want Flint in. I liked how he looked in the N64 previews, all badass and all.

well.... he doesnt look exacly badass there due to the old graphics now, but back then he looked badass to me. Now imagine with the new graphics....

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Okay, if someone can give me a summary of those four moves, and what Boney does other than Fight, I will come up with something for a moveset. I am a moveset phenom :laugh:

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Boney's only other ability is Smell which or more or less is the exact same thing as Jeff's spy command.

Flint's moves go like this:

Flail - Hit's every enemy on screen.

All or Nothing - This either automatically makes you land a critical or SMAAAAAASH hit on the enemy or miss entirely.

Attack Up - Increases Attack Power (duh)

Harden - Increases Defense Power

As you can see, not much can be emulated by Flint very well as a Smash contender goes and yet people STILL want him playable if only because he's a cowboy that swings 2x4s at victims.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Bowser85 said:
Boney's only other ability is Smell which or more or less is the exact same thing as Jeff's spy command.

Flint's moves go like this:

Flail - Hit's every enemy on screen.

All or Nothing - This either automatically makes you land a critical or SMAAAAAASH hit on the enemy or miss entirely.

Attack Up - Increases Attack Power (duh)

Harden - Increases Defense Power

As you can see, not much can be emulated by Flint very well as a Smash contender goes and yet people STILL want him playable if only because he's a cowboy that swings 2x4s at victims.
Eh. That's more basis than Fox and Captain Falcon :laugh:

I can see him getting his own "crazy spin" attack off that Flail, and maybe something where he goes into a rage. Also, if Boney follows him, he wouldn't be like Nana. He'd be a background character, and would only be there to help for some attacks, and grab items to hand to Flint. That's all. :p

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
Eh. That's more basis than Fox and Captain Falcon :laugh:

I can see him getting his own "crazy spin" attack off that Flail, and maybe something where he goes into a rage. Also, if Boney follows him, he wouldn't be like Nana. He'd be a background character, and would only be there to help for some attacks, and grab items to hand to Flint. That's all. :p
I like those ideas! With the Boney Bite attack I gave in my moveset (first topic on first page). He goes in a straight direction, picks nearest item around Flint and brings it back to him. And the "crazy spin", instead on spinning an horizontal direction like Link's spin attack, he could spin in a vertical direction (all around him, no knockback, but traps opponent like Young Link's UpB, for excellent combo material). Now we are getting somewhere here...

Flint

Smash Rookie
Also harden can work like Kirby stone Power, avoids damage, and can inflict damage if you do it above an enemy (think of Tanoki Suit Mario), so that’s good for a B-down move
For a B standard move, we could send boney to attack or use his Attack up ability, meanwhile you hold the B button your attack goes up but when you release B your attack starts to go down until it reaches its normal level.
Also for a super move Flint could pull out a Sax and start playing if you hit the B at the right moments during the song you will inflict damage to all the opponents (one of the Key parts of Mother 3 battle
System)

So:

B-up: Flail (Flint spins with his 4x6 he hits all the opponents surrounding him)
B-Forward: whistle (calls Boney if he is next to him, he sends Boney to attack forward or to pick nearby items)
B-Down: Harden (works like Kirby stone power)
B: Attack up (Flint attack power increases.

Super Smash: Desesperado Crush Mambo Combo DCMC (name of the music band in Mother 3)

Flint rocks! And he is the least spoilerific character of mother 3, that’s why he is the best option to represent the game (any other character would spoil part of the game to people who haven’t played it) and talking about spoilers…

PLEASE KEEP THE MOTHER 3 SPOILERS DOWN, some people here haven’t beat the game, or at least USE SPOILER TAGS…

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Flint said:
Also harden can work like Kirby stone Power, avoids damage, and can inflict damage if you do it above an enemy (think of Tanoki Suit Mario), so that’s good for a B-down move
For a B standard move, we could send boney to attack or use his Attack up ability, meanwhile you hold the B button your attack goes up but when you release B your attack starts to go down until it reaches its normal level.
Also for a super move Flint could pull out a Sax and start playing if you hit the B at the right moments during the song you will inflict damage to all the opponents (one of the Key parts of Mother 3 battle
System)

So:

B-up: Flail (Flint spins with his 4x6 he hits all the opponents surrounding him)
B-Forward: whistle (calls Boney if he is next to him, he sends Boney to attack forward or to pick nearby items)
B-Down: Harden (works like Kirby stone power)
B: Attack up (Flint attack power increases.

Super Smash: Desesperado Crush Mambo Combo DCMC (name of the music band in Mother 3)

Flint rocks! And he is the least spoilerific character of mother 3, that’s why he is the best option to represent the game (any other character would spoil part of the game to people who haven’t played it) and talking about spoilers…

PLEASE KEEP THE MOTHER 3 SPOILERS DOWN, some people here haven’t beat the game, or at least USE SPOILER TAGS…

Why does Flint have a DCMC super?

GenG

Smash Lord
Are you sure do you want Flint and Boney in the game? Come on, Flint is a boring character, with a weak background, minor importance in the plot, and almost no Smash-friendly skills. He isn't that popular, Kumatora and Duster have larger fanbase, and they are more interesting characters.

Kumatora has the potential to be the next Samus (ranged psi and close quarters), while Duster is something like a comical ninja. Lucas would make it as a Ness skin, and I want...

Claus. Yes, I want THAT Claus badly. Masked Claus vs Lucas while playing an orchestrated version of the Love Theme is a sure win, I was about to crying explode in the last battle. And about spoiling the game plot, you see, Brawl won't come until 2007, and there are rumors about Mother 3 being released in USA this year. The same could be said about Twilight Princess, Brawl may contain a lot of references from TP: Characters, music, abilities from the game, stages...

And what about a stage based in Mother 3?

New Pork Town anyone? Nowhere Island being terraformed by the dragon? I do like both scenes.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Isn't Duster the guy with the big nose? Who the hell is Kumatora? Ohhh!!! I wish Mother 3 was here.

Top Bottom