• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Just to put it there, but, people gotta remember that while the Party Crash can be seen as a """popularity contest""" you all gotta remember that it's also a fighting game. While fondamentally each characters are the same, they had varying options which do made some and others stronger than the others.

AKA, some characters were stronger than others thanks to their abilities or ARMS combo.
Spoiler alert: Min-Min was and still is considered one of the strongest character in the game.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I kinda feel like the whole reason Nintendo did the whole 'Guess Who' thing WAS because of the SNK leak

"Oh, ****! They leaked the company for Smash DLC....but look all of this discussion and speculation about who this character could be. Y'know we have our own lil fighting game that seems to have resonated well with our fans."

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It would be very Nintendo to assume that the discussion generated by speculating a whole company's worth of IP could be replicated by saying "it's from this game" and showing all 13~ possibilities up front.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So it's been pointed out that background swirl pattern of the announcement tweet matches up exactly with Springman, Max Brass's, and Springtron's main background swirl.

It probably means nothing, but after Sakurai's three finger binary code tease for Byleth, it's possible.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So it's been pointed out that background swirl pattern of the announcement tweet matches up exactly with Springman, Max Brass's, and Springtron's main background swirl.

It probably means nothing, but after Sakurai's three finger binary code tease for Byleth, it's possible.
This was kind of glossed over, but this background was also used for the character select screen, making this meaningless.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I do think Ninjara is underrated around here. He was initially chosen as a spirit over other characters for a reason and was the other finalist against Min Min in that Party Crash.
Yes, but people can't lewd Ninjara as easily, so he seems to have less of a fanbase. :4pacman:

...it kinda disgusts me that this completely sarcastic statement nonetheless does have a grain of truth...

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice

It does mean nothing in this context, as that pattern is also the pattern in the backround of ALL characters during the character selection screen.
Video as comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnckOjdVK8s
Not saying springman isn't the most likely, but that pattern isn't really giving away anything.
edit: someone commented on it first

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yes, but people can't lewd Ninjara as easily, so he seems to have less of a fanbase. :4pacman:

...it kinda disgusts me that this completely sarcastic statement nonetheless does have a grain of truth...
In the words of a late great youtuber...

"She legal!"

I.D.

Smash Lord

Someone already pointed out the same generic yellow background has already been used before in promo art unrelated to any character in particular.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Looks like it was nothing, still banking and hoping for Max Brass though. Just 3 more days.......

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This was kind of glossed over, but this background was also used for the character select screen, making this meaningless.
As True Blue Warrior mentioned, Spring Man's background and the background used for the CSS are different. Very similar, yes, but different in one notable way.

Ea6saX_UYAAEfha.jpg

The CSS has its swirls fading out near the top.

BG-Spring_Man.png

Springy Boy's background fades out near the center.

Shroob

Sup?
Well this is interesting, ain't it.

Would be kinda ****ing hilarious though if 4chan did get their Max Brass in the end.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, what you’re saying is, boi-oi-oing yeah.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
As stated before, the character select screen background and Spring Man’s background do have a few differences; I was wrong on my initial post about it. But the generic yellow background did exist before the Sakurai presentation announcement. You can find it here, under the artwork section.

0EB37992-0077-420D-81D4-27D1B8902609.jpeg

So yes, the background should not be taken as a hint.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think the background means nothing. I’m getting chair vibes when dissecting minute details to find some slight differences to point to characters. Though, we know because of Byleth’s presentation that he’s not against hinting. I just think if it was literally Springman’s background pixel by pixel, that would be a far more brazen hint than anything coming before it.

Just watched Gamexplain’s video. Find it very interesting they seem to be jumping over themselves to clearly say they’re sure it’s not Springman, when just a couple weeks ago they seemed more open to the possibility. As we saw with the Grinch banner, they do get insider information, and back then they were warning people against believing it.

I do think this does put some ambiguity in how we should interpret everything. Perhaps people did misinterpret Nate’s hint, perhaps Gamexplain don’t know who it is but are hoping it’s not Springman. Either way, Monday is going to be very interesting to watch regardless of the outcome. *gets popcorn ready*

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
People were expecting KOS-MOS to be CP5 partly because of her being discussed on GameXplain and we all know how that turned out. And they know how Smash Fans think their team is leaking characters, so they tend to be trolls about it.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’m getting chair vibes when dissecting minute details to find some slight differences to point to characters.
It's a reasonable observation to make so I wouldn't say it's comparable to Chair Theory. It didn't go anywhere upon further investigation, but it's not leap in logic like "ZOMG those chairs are purple and yellow which corresponds to characters that corresponds to Skull Kid! He's totally in guys!" was.

Shroob

Sup?
I think the background means nothing. I’m getting chair vibes when dissecting minute details to find some slight differences to point to characters. Though, we know because of Byleth’s presentation that he’s not against hinting. I just think if it was literally Springman’s background pixel by pixel, that would be a far more brazen hint than anything coming before it.

Just watched Gamexplain’s video. Find it very interesting they seem to be jumping over themselves to clearly say they’re sure it’s not Springman, when just a couple weeks ago they seemed more open to the possibility. As we saw with the Grinch banner, they do get insider information, and back then they were warning people against believing it.

I do think this does put some ambiguity in how we should interpret everything. Perhaps people did misinterpret Nate’s hint, perhaps Gamexplain don’t know who it is but are hoping it’s not Springman. Either way, Monday is going to be very interesting to watch regardless of the outcome. *gets popcorn ready*
I wouldn't put that much stock into Gamexplain in regards to leaks to be blunt.

Remember when everyone was tearing themselves apart because "OMG Jongamexplain said Kos-Mos?!"

While they do get stuff right "What, no Dash?", they're not really a source for leak information I'd look for reliably.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's a reasonable observation to make so I wouldn't say it's comparable to Chair Theory. It didn't go anywhere upon further investigation, but it's not leap in logic like "ZOMG those chairs are purple and yellow which corresponds to characters that corresponds to Skull Kid! He's totally in guys!" was.
I know, but given how much debate is around very minute details when comparing character backgrounds and the css background, it’s hard not to get those vibes.

I want to be clear I’m not complaining. That’s the parts I love about speculation. My thoughts, though, is that given how much debate is on these little lines, its hard to see it being intentional to me. Particularly, as I said, how brazen it would be if it did perfectly match Spring Man’s background.

EDIT:
I wouldn't put that much stock into Gamexplain in regards to leaks to be blunt.

Remember when everyone was tearing themselves apart because "OMG Jongamexplain said Kos-Mos?!"

While they do get stuff right "What, no Dash?", they're not really a source for leak information I'd look for reliably.
Not as a source, I agree, though as a means of remaining cautious, I think it’s good to take what they say into consideration. I pointed out they may not know who it is, as a possibility. And if I were to put down money, I’d still say Spring Man. But, always good to be more cautious.

Last edited:

Nanami77

Banned via Warnings
On 4chan? He's the "Haha Max Brass teh funny /ourguy/" kinda choice. It's basically the "Ugly Steve" of this DLC.
Kind of based, ngl.

Max Brass is the ultimate chad that could renew some hype for DLC if he gets in.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I dunno. Personally, I don't see the backgrounds meaning anything in the long run.

Reminds me a lot of Chair Theory or picture with Golden Sun angle. In other words, people overthinking simple things that probably mean nothing.

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno. Personally, I don't see the backgrounds meaning anything in the long run.

Reminds me a lot of Chair Theory or picture with Golden Sun angle. In other words, people overthinking simple things that probably mean nothing.
I agree, but then we get a curveball like Sakurai with his Byleth tease.

That's the fun of speculation, it's means nothing until you let your guard down, then suddenly it means something.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I still find it pretty hilarious that fans have technically only got :ultchrom: and :ultdarksamus: right with their theories. This theory gained even more traction after echoes were introduced, as well as Sakurai stating upon their reveals 'You may have seen them coming'

Since then fans have been examining everything and coming up with stuff like "OMG PILLOWS LOOK LIEK SKULL KID!!!"

Shroob

Sup?
I still find it pretty hilarious that fans have technically only got :ultchrom: and :ultdarksamus: right with their theories. This theory gained even more traction after echoes were introduced, as well as Sakurai stating upon their reveals 'You may have seen them coming'

Since then fans have been examining everything and coming up with stuff like "OMG PILLOWS LOOK LIEK SKULL KID!!!"
I mean

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING

Box theory was right :4larry:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I mean

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING

Box theory was right :4larry:
True....but Box theory was only on number of fighters remaining rather than actually who was coming (though when paired with Vergeban it would hint at him being right with :ultken::ultincineroar:)

Shroob

Sup?
The truth of Box Theory was it wasn't a theory at all, it was created by taking well-known insider information that had been known since late June/early July, and pairing it with the one with loose lips(Verg), and the box that Nintendo themselves put out.

But would anyone believe that "Sakurai would end on a Pokemon and Ken?"

Well, we all know how that turned out.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But would anyone believe that "Sakurai would end on a Pokemon and Ken?"
after ending with olimar for brawl and shulk for 4 you'd think they'd understand that it isn't gonna end with hype every time

Shroob

Sup?
after ending with olimar for brawl and shulk for 4 you'd think they'd understand that it isn't gonna end with hype every time
"No, you clearly don't get it. Why would they start on such a high note with EVERYONE IS HERE and then end on a fizzle?! It doesn't make any sense! S--surely this time is different, right? Surely history won't repeat itself again, RIGHT?!"

andree123

Smash Ace

Remember the memes about background stuff teasing newcomers such as pac man in the clouds with greninja's trailer or the monado in Robin's trailer which actually came true.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
OK, so I understand Smash always ends with a fizzle, and the end is never as good as the start. This is true of Brawl, Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate and Fighter Pass 1...

...but I'm having a hard time imagining Fighters who would be a fizzle in comparison to ARMS.

Shroob

Sup?
OK, so I understand Smash always ends with a fizzle, and the end is never as good as the start. This is true of Brawl, Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate and Fighter Pass 1...

...but I'm having a hard time imagining Fighters who would be a fizzle in comparison to ARMS.
Fire Emblem Heroes protagonist

You hit all the bases that makes the fanbase babyrage

Another Swordsman
Another Fire Emblem character
Phone bad

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Fire Emblem Heroes protagonist

You hit all the bases that makes the fanbase babyrage

Another Swordsman
Another Fire Emblem character
Phone bad
That would be something, but I think I can do one better. Or, worse, I guess.

Rose Gold Peach
An echo fighter of Daisy, because why not.

It would piss off:
- The Mario Fans who want someone else
- The people who played Mario kart 8 Deluxe, because Rose Gold Peach is spreading to other games.
- Anyone who expects a third party character.
- Apple, because Rose Gold is their thing usually.
- Me, because please no.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
wario-land-super-mario-land-3-luigi-mario-wario-super-mario-bros-2-mario-png-clip-art-thumbnail.png

Guys, the ARMS rep has been staring us in the face this whole time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom