• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I will say though, Byleth was at one point the final character for Ultimate. If you ever needed proof that Sakurai doesn't care about ending on a high note...
Depends on what you cal la high note I suppose. Ending on a Nintendo character from one of the best Switch games I played is a pretty high note I think.

On another note, if the second pass brings stages too, I hope they dont do what they did in Smash Wii U and have a seperate tab for the dlc stages. Though, Im not sure how they could fit anymore on the screen as is.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I know the Byleth reveal was disappointing. I had no expectation at all, I knew YET another Fire Emblem character was coming (even though, Fire Emblem has like 100 fighters already)
They have eight.

Out of 86.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
My fighters pass take: Still pretty solid, I liked three of the five (meh on Terry, no on FE). But I kind of think of it this way. If I had waited and hadn’t bought the fighters pass this one would have been the only one I wouldn’t have bought, but buying four separate is the same price as the pass. So I guess it is kind of a free character to me in a way.

What? 3:16

Smash Rookie
What?

What?

What?

What?

Byleth is the 5th fighter?

Byleth was declared the final pick?

Masahiro Sakurai and Nintendo screw Stone Cold?

Masahiro and Nintendo screw Stone Cold?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
There are other Zelda characters besides Link, Zelda and Ganon that could’ve been used, but that was just an example.

Too many FE characters.

Other series exist too.

It’s obvious FE has special treatment.

You really don’t think there aren’t too many FE characters?
1) And all of them are one off characters, which would ironically make us have the same problem people are complaining about with Fire Emblem. The thing here is its even more "unnecessary" because they would all be side characters while Fire Emblem's are all main characters..and I'm saying this as someone who's most wanted Echo Fighter is Princess Hilda (she's listed last only because of how unlikely she is). They COULD add Impa, which I'm surprised they haven't, since she'd be an easy Echo off of Sheik.
2) Maybe, but that's subjective and I don't care.
3) They do, but I'm either fine with who we have, they are also wants of mine but lesser so, or I just don't care about them. Like I said, subjective.
4) Maybe, but I think its just because Fire Emblem has become one of Nintendo's best selling series now.
5) No, not really. Granted, Fire Emblem is my favorite series overall..and I kind of see Roy, Lucina, and Chrom as merely extensions off of Marth..I mean, the latter two can be stacked on Marth & Roy, artificially lowering the FE series count from 8 to 6..that and, like I've said, half of them would likely have been dropped had Ultimate not gone with an 'Everyone Is Here' thing
F!Byleth is ****ing gorgeous, yo. Like, she was hot in Three Houses but DAMN!
Indeed..and I'm so calling the Edelgard colour as the lesbian love child of her and Edelgard lol They were my OTP in the game..or just Edeleth since it sounds a lot better than Bygard..

While I don’t think how many characters a series has matters, I don’t understand why people don’t realize Zelda has a rotating cast of important characters as well outside of the triforce wielders (not counting reincarnation). There was Skull Kid in MM, whom was also a side-character in OoT and (probably) TP; Midna in TP, whom was basically a protagonist alongside Link; and I’m sure there are others with similar importance in their games or at least have some bigger role than most side-characters.

Sure, you could say Zelda only “needs” the triforce wielders, but they’re not the only part of the games, and we could argue Mario doesn’t need a few of his series’ characters in Smash (like Rosalina).
There are important characters that rotate between Zelda games, but the main characters are ALWAYS Link, almost always Zelda, and usually Ganon/Ganondorf. Skull Kid was only important in Majora's Mask, Midna was only in Twilight Princess, etc. If we included new one-offs from Zelda, we'd run into the exact same problem Fire Emblem is in right now, only less necessary because the main characters are still Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. The only recurring characters they could really add for Zelda are Impa, Ganon (Beast/Pig), and Tingle. Everyone else appears for maybe 1 or 2 games and than is gone, as opposed to Mario where every character reappears frequently, at the very least in regular spin-off titles.

Don't get me wrong, I love Zelda's one-offs like Urbosa and Midna..but they aren't relevant shortly after release and would almost definitely be dropped by the next game (Sheik has only stuck around this long due to being tied to Zelda until Smash 4 and now being a legacy character).
I have this fear with Fire Emblem characters constantly. I was certain that Lucina wouldn't make it into another game and fearing for Corrin to be dropped as well..and, well, I'd rather not have this nagging fear added to another of my favorite series, Zelda..it was bad enough seeing Young Link replaced by Toon Link between Melee & Brawl.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I will say though, Byleth was at one point the final character for Ultimate. If you ever needed proof that Sakurai doesn't care about ending on a high note...
In a slightly different alternate timeline Smash ultimate would have ended with Brawl taunts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm not psyched about Byleth, and I watched most of the presentation like :glare: (except for the sword-fighter remark, which made me go :awesome:. Also Cuphead), but like I've said forever and ever already, those who share my sentiment need not buy the character. That is the benefit of having optional characters.

There's already like eighty characters on the roster, and six more coming. Not everyone is gonna be a winner for everybody. I already got the character I wanted. Hopefully, with the seventeen newcomers so far, there's at least someone for everyone.

And yeah there's a ****ton of FE characters. Too many, I'd say. Not that there aren't viable options, but other, less populated, comparably prevalent series have a bunch of viable options too. But my say doesn't really matter. All I can do is choose whether to increase that FE count by one on my copy of Ultimate. So far I'm undecided. I would've been quicker to buy Edelgard, though I never actually thought it'd be her anyway. :/

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
This was a pick made specifically out of spite.
Too many things point to it.
I mean I'm really happy about it cause I loved 3H, but from that reveal trailer to the way Sakurai acted in the presentation, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I wish I bought this up when I thought of it, but I kid you not, just a couple days ago I imagined a Cuphead Mii Gunner costume like Sans thinking it would be a cool addition. His finger could just be the gun, and it would work perfectly.

Crazy that it's actually a thing, and I'm not sure I can say I "called it" as it was more of a hopeful idea than a prediction.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I still think the crowning moment of today was the "too many swordsmen" joke during the trailer. That had me absolutely cackling.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I swear my favorite part about Byleth's trailer was the jab at "too many swordfighters".^-^

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I don’t think how many characters a series has matters, I don’t understand why people don’t realize Zelda has a rotating cast of important characters as well outside of the triforce wielders (not counting reincarnation). There was Skull Kid in MM, whom was also a side-character in OoT and (probably) TP; Midna in TP, whom was basically a protagonist alongside Link; and I’m sure there are others with similar importance in their games or at least have some bigger role than most side-characters.

Sure, you could say Zelda only “needs” the triforce wielders, but they’re not the only part of the games, and we could argue Mario doesn’t need a few of his series’ characters in Smash (like Rosalina).
That's no less true, but there's a clear focus on the "main" characters, who are all Triforce wielders.

Why it is that way, I dunno. I mean, it works.

Keep in mind Pig Ganon isn't even my most wanted. Tingle is. I'd expect Pig Ganon first, though.

Skull Kid isn't nearly as recurring as Pig Ganon, Tingle, or Impa. He's a 2-game wonder more or less(since OOT and MM are part of the same story) in general, so barely counts as recurring. There's many who show up far more, races too of course like Zoras/Gorons/etc. He's the only one outside of the other 3 mentioned that is recurring, mind you. Even then, they could just as easily justify a unique race too, as shown with PP. It's also possible Skull Kid didn't have a moveset Sakurai could envision(and considering we have yet to see the original Pig Ganon designs in Smash, he probably isn't looking at that one anyway).

In Midna's case, might be moveset-related issues he can't figure out, basically. Another thing is he does heavily find other ways to represent Zelda beyond some characters. Only Mario and Pokemon come close to that kind of non-character representation, too. So the franchise does seem to be in a different situation. I wish he'd comment on why some were overlooked. Timing doesn't seem to be an issue, either. I mean, even Brawl wasn't just "updating to new looks", as Toon Link came out(he did use Young Link to help make the character, though, but that was the best option anyway).

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
People saying we're living in the worst timeline seem to forget that there originally wasn't gonna be any extra challenger packs . The fighter pass was the only DLC initially planned from the start.

We narrowly avoided a future where Byleth was the final newcomer period.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Monokuma Mii Costume with an original Danganronpa Medley featuring music from all DR games when

never thought I’d be hyped for Mii costumes but this is one I would SO be hype for

that, and Gunvolt and Copen from the Gunvolt series - Gunvolt with the Eternal Blue song, and Copen with the Luminous Avenger iX version of Igniter (seriously that version SLAPS)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, though I'll still need to actually play Byleth, their overall content makes them Joker tier at worst, only dud of this pass in Banjo if you ask me
Same. Even though I liked the character beforehand and thought he was the best choice from his origin game, I'm not quite sold on his implementation on paper. I'll need to see it in practice.

EDIT: Well...His Up Special is really cool.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the Smash community is the one community where you can't be dissapointed in something without being called a baby, or, "hoes mad." It's almost like you're suppose to praise everything Sakurai does. Like, a lot of people are even't upset. Just not impressed, but they seemed to get groupred with the loud minority of toxic Smashers. Also, I wasn't personally impressed by Sakurai's lamp shading.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Well of course people are going to be super biased when it’s for something they like, and say whatever they can to justify things even if it’s ridiculous. Even more so when they can’t even see the other side...

Can’t say I’m surprised at all.

Fighters pass was great with the exception of Byleth because we got new characters and series for a change.

That’s all I’ll say about this seasons fighters pass.

4/5.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
*They played an ad for Three Houses DLC right after the reveal.

*Sword and Shield is getting DLC June and this fall.

Maybe, just maybe...
Splatoon 2 is getting another update in April... what if...

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1579010436/831

I was too lazy to translate this before the direct but this supposed leak somewhat was right. It's not saying much tho.

FP1 was supposed be Hero / Terry / Banjo / Hayabusa / Joker.
After FP1's reveal, Nintendo noticed that Hayabusa got leaked but FP2 was decided fairly soon after Ultimates' release, they decided to move Hayabusa into FP2. This was also because they wanted to keep pace with Koei Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden project development.
FP2 was decided before E3, but the lineup was finalized in the summer after E3.
FP3 is already has been decided and they are still under negotiations.
The character revealed tomorrow is someone from Nintendo who was supposed to be in FP2.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also I love how boomer Smash fans throw a fit about characters having gimmicks since Smash 4 but Byleth is oddly enough the only DLC character without any gimmicks whatsoever, like how Corrin was the only 4 DLC newcomer without a gimmick. I love gimmicky **** when it works but it's full circle huh

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So, my thoughts on the presentation...
  • ... so Fighter 5 is Byleth from Three Houses. I'm fairly neutral on this right now, though that may change once the character's out. Still, this Fighters Pass was intended to be all there was for Ultimate DLC, so... hoo boy, imagine the reaction if this was literally the last character for the game.
  • I'm not very familiar with the Fire Emblem series in general or Three Houses in particular, but just from this presentation... Byleth looks pretty fun in terms of gameplay. It helps that they decided to give the character multiple weapons, which already makes them the most unique Fire Emblem character in Smash... even if it's sad that it took Sakurai and the developers eight characters to implement this aspect from the series.
  • Also, Byleth has male and female alts... so would they count as a female DLC character?
  • Also also, Byleth is a first party character... so can we please just stop complaining about first party characters getting the shaft whenever a third party character like Terry comes along?
  • Also also also, this is the first time we've had a fighter presentation that wasn't accompanied by a shadowdrop, or at least the fighter in question releasing shortly after. I guess this means we shouldn't always expect shadowdrops for every presentation, unless this ends up being an exception.
  • To be honest, I was really on edge with the Mii Fighter costumes, but thankfully, it wasn't a bloodbath like I was expecting (just imagine if the Geno costume ended up returning here). In fact, I'd say there were some pleasant surprises...
    • While Assassin's Creed content in Smash isn't surprising, I am surprised that they gave us a Mii Fighter costume before anything else... and it's based on Altair, the protagonist of the first game, as opposed to Ezio or Edward Kenway. It's weird that they labeled it as from the "Altair" series, though. Were there rights issues with using the Assassin's Creed title?
    • While I expected the X and MegaMan.EXE costumes to return eventually, I'm surprised they came back with Byleth. If anything, I would've expected Byleth to come with the Monster Hunter costumes, with the Mega Man ones saved for someone like Geno or Phoenix Wright.
    • Cuphead is the big highlight here. Not only is it a great looking costume, it's coming with a music track just like Sans.
    • The biggest downside to these costumes is that... well, these costumes have little to do with Byleth (unless they're meant as subtle references to stuff in Three Houses, which, again, I haven't played)... which in turn means that Banjo and his unrelated Mii Fighter costumes are no longer an outlier. Those absent Mii Fighter costumes that fans are hoping become playable (Geno, Heihachi, Lloyd, Monster Hunter) can now show up at any time with any character.
  • So we got some details about the next wave of DLC characters... and while I was right about there being another Fighters Pass, I didn't expect it to have six characters this time. Sakurai also didn't say what the characters will be coming with (stages, music, and spirits), so maybe this time it will be different? I already can't wait for the February Direct...
Overall, good presentation. Not the character I wanted or expected, but Sakurai did good with this one regardless. Looking forward to trying out Byleth when they come out, and as always, there's Fighters Pass 2 for the ones who haven't made it yet.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
People saying we're living in the worst timeline seem to forget that there originally wasn't gonna be any extra challenger packs . The fighter pass was the only DLC initially planned from the start.

That's honestly the one silver lining I think we can all agree on.

If you think the response right now is bad, it would have been NUCLEAR if Byleth really did end up being the last character.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I want to look at that timeline for a second just to see the salt.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Welp my reaction time is over for now.

I'm happy regardless for this nice break and was nice to see some logical views........
As for those still angry and trolling......Just move on and do something else. You should have something more important to do.
I'll visit later guys and also pretty sorry to hear about Lesley deleting her account. Hope it's nothing and she visits again.

D

Deleted member

Rosalina is a regular since her introduction, which is more you could say about Skull Kid or Midna.

It would be nice to have more Zelda characters, but is also understandable why they are not a priority since a lot of major characters have prominence in one title only to disappear or being relegated to a minor part in the next games. Only one that kinda breaks this is Impa and she just changes role drastically along with appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom