• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie needs help and tips

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Y'all don't have a "read before posting" thread anywhere, so I'm just gonna ask my questions right here.

1.) Who are the better Jigglypuff players and where can I find their videos? I'd like some gameplay to study.

2.) Which has the most priority from the following: fair, bair, or nair?

3.) Do you consider Jiggs to be a bad character? I don't think so. I think she just requires patience, and from the videos I've seen, it doesn't look like y'all do that much. :/

4.) What are my better options up close to an opponent. I always find myself standing next to my opponent, but my attacks are too slow. I try to ftilt or jab, but it's too slow. Is there a better option I'm missing out on? Or should I just roll away?

5.) Does jiggs have any combos? Like uptilt> upair or dthrow>fair or somethin? I'm curious.

6.)How am I supposed to use dair into rest? It's hard to pull it off. I end up dairing>empty rest>my face gets blown in, but I'm on the ground, so it won't work. >_>

Thanks! I'm thinking about using her against Kirby. Is that a good matchup for a good Jiggs main?

rinoH

Smash Lord
well the only pro i know of is bowyer and some other people like jeepysol and illinialex and tEhrXXz0r oh and the stig and im prtty good i gues but dont have any vids of me

you can find vids at the archive sec

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
1.) Who are the better Jigglypuff players and where can I find their videos? I'd like some gameplay to study.
The BEST of the best would have to be Bowyer. Some others include illinialex24, JigglyMaster, Glick, TheStiq, JeepySol, and many more! (please don't be offended if you're not on here. I may have simply forgotten you -_-)

2.) Which has the most priority from the following: fair, bair, or nair?
Nair.

3.) Do you consider Jiggs to be a bad character? I don't think so. I think she just requires patience, and from the videos I've seen, it doesn't look like y'all do that much. :/
Compared to others, Jiggs is a pretty bad character. It takes a lot to keep up with the likes of Snake, Meta Knight, G&W...

4.) What are my better options up close to an opponent. I always find myself standing next to my opponent, but my attacks are too slow. I try to ftilt or jab, but it's too slow. Is there a better option I'm missing out on? Or should I just roll away?
Put up your shield. You can either shieldgrab from there, or jump out of shield and do an aerial.

5.) Does jiggs have any combos? Like uptilt> upair or dthrow>fair or somethin? I'm curious.
UpTilt > UpTilt at REALLY low percentages, like at 0% -_- Errr... Dair to Rest is a combo, I guess lol There's also that Footstool Jab Lock that's still being tested.

6.)How am I supposed to use dair into rest? It's hard to pull it off. I end up dairing>empty rest>my face gets blown in, but I'm on the ground, so it won't work. >_>
Short-hop and immediately Dair upon getting off the ground. Then DI towards your opponent and Rest (I suggest button-mashing DownB so Rest comes out as quickly as possible). You could also FullHop and pause a little before you Dair into someone.

Edit:

Thanks! I'm thinking about using her against Kirby. Is that a good matchup for a good Jiggs main?
Jigglypuff has a decently tough time against Kirby. Haha sorry, I'm too lazy to tell you specifics about Kirby vs. Jiggs right now xD

Ask Bowyer lol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks you two. I have one more question. How come y'all don't do empty SHs with Jiggs very often? I play against Zelda on a regular basis, and I've found that it works great. If I'm not patient, I get fsmashed. If I empty SH around her, I can see what kind of precautions she's taking to guard herself and use that to my advantage. Normally, I'll empty SH about 5 times before I decide to attack. Here's some examples of what I'm talking about.

1.) I SH near Zelda and I see her shield the first faked fair and she fsmashes the second. I can predict that she'll fsmash again, and I'll SHairdodge behind her and then grab.

2.) I SH near her again after we both settle down. I'll airdodge behind her and then roll back to the other side to punish her upsmash (that tried to hit behind her) I'll punish with a strong fsmash.

3.)The third SH near her. I SH a couple times to get her thinking and on the third SH, I stall after falling away from Zelda. I fall back at her with a pound.

These kind of things I don't see very often. You don't have to be very aggressive against her. If you're at midrange she can't use din's, or you can airdodge and punish it. You have the whole match to think about what you want to approach with. Jiggs' insane aerial maneuverability helps her to do this well.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ummmm.... the opponent can be as patient as youy are, but Jigglypuff really is the queen at mindgames. However, you really to be careful using them. As for combos, the jab-lock I think can only be teched out of but I'm not sure. Also, I will try to get you gameplay against an Olimar or Game and Watch, you will see I am very patient in tough mathcups. I still thinks Jiggs is underestimated but she does have a hard time.... most of the best characters are her worst matchups, however, some of these can be dealt with (Metaknight with patience, Marth with spacing, Snake is a fairly good matchup compared to some other characters you could use, but Olimar and G&W are impossible). Also, Jigglypuff really should never be right near an opponent unless they are a space animal, really you should space well... I think I'll add a Zelda matchup next.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
In my video against Mabo [Olimar] (check the video archive) I did a bunch of empty short hops. Their kind of a necessity, especially against Olimar, and work very well for spacing.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's what I'm talking about^. It was great. It's both unpredictable and surprising.

[and your avatar is somewhat disturbing]

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
[and your avatar is somewhat disturbing]
LOL.

------

About the Kirby match-up thing: In my opinion, Jiggly doesn't do so well against Kirby. Kirby is pretty much Jiggly, with tons of range and disjointed hitboxes (his shoes have more than Jiggly's feet). Kirby can WoP (B-air), has a great ground game, tons of KO potential (Hammer, F-smash[which is really quick and very ranged]), and actually has combos (f-throw> u-air> f-smash [lolz Gonzo combo]). Not to mention all the other crazy throw combos that Kirby has. Also, d-air is a semi-spike, so it's possible to be gimped if you use too many jumps. I'd say Kirby trumps you in almost all areas; Air, and definitely ground.

Anyway, just my opinion.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
4) SH dAir. If they block it eats good shield and you can DI to their back so you're safe. On hit at low %'s you can dAir into a throw(it's escapable but a lot of people either dont move quick enough or try to shield after being hit wiht dAir. And if they're in the right % range dAir Rest. dAir tends to trip people fully at around 90% but some characters like Snake wont die from it at that %.

Me and icekid were doing double jiggs in teams the other day and when it was 2 vs. 1 we'd alternate SH dAirs keeping them in block/hitstun the whole time until one of us could rest.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I find SHdair to be reliable just after they spotdodge, but everywhere else, I either get grabbed as I'm rising, or a quicker jab or ftilt to me. I'll experiment with it more though.

jeepy- I like your avi. It's just a bit...odd. It presents a manly side to the jiggster.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I find SHdair to be reliable just after they spotdodge, but everywhere else, I either get grabbed as I'm rising, or a quicker jab or ftilt to me. I'll experiment with it more though.

jeepy- I like your avi. It's just a bit...odd. It presents a manly side to the jiggster.
D-air is definitley hard to land. I usually try to use it as a punish move. Like if they mess up and do a move with a bunch on ending lag.

And yeah, you wont find a manlier Jiggz anywhere. lol.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Listen close because this is the best advice your ever gonna get
DONT PLAY BRAWL YOUR WASTING YOUR TIME

Tyser

Smash Champion
1) Bowyer is supposedly the bestest Jiggles I think. Might be someone else now but he's the only one I remember. Youtube is where you can find his vids. No one else looks very impressive besides him.

2) Her Bair is her better approaching aerial IMO. Fair is good too but I only use it to KO. And Nair is a good quick move for anything I think. Just my opinions on it, might not be correct but I like it like that.

3) Jiggz is bad. You gotta play her more defensive IMO since other characters **** her if she tries to go on the offensive. Just gotta play off their lag pretty much.

4) If they're close, grab or do an aerial out of your shield. Dont bother with jabs/tilts because jabs can get interupted if people are just pressin shit and tilts are slow. Rolling works too.

5) She doesnt have any real combos except her Dair+Rest. Everything else can be airdodged out of. Using her DAC is fun because people dont expect it mostly from a Jigglypuff; it's not a combo but its cool looking.

6) It just takes some good practice. Dont fastfall until the very very last second and then right when you do, Rest them in the asshole. Just practice it in training mode or something and it will be cake in due time. Also, I find it best to do the Dair+Rest after a perfect shield only. It's gauranteed that way as long as you dont miss the Rest.

Vs. Kirby: I dunno sorry.

Top Bottom