• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia Game Signups | Newcomer Information [New to dGames? Come Here First]

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
/ LOADING: NEWBIE MAFIA 23...

/ PLAYERLIST

1. LoliLovesRain
  2. TyranitarPhantom
  3. BadWolf28738
  4. Monstmrna
  5. STEM
  6. Vinyl.
  7. BSP
  8. Ranmaru (IC)
  9. ......... (IC)
Potential Replacements:
  1. .........

Now would be an excellent time for anyone else interested in playing to sign up!

I'm short one IC, and if you're a newbie and would like to play I may be able to squeeze you in :)

Opening post will likely be up tonight/tomorrow.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
eh, I'd ask to IC.

But i know me and Ran would just turn it into : Kary's Newbie Wall Mafia XD

That and i doubt i qualify as IC material

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
eh, I'd ask to IC.

But i know me and Ran would just turn it into : Kary's Newbie Wall Mafia XD

That and i doubt i qualify as IC material
I think you'd do ok, but I will admit you + Ran sounds like a recipe for trouble; neither of you are particularly laid back, and together you might be a bit over the top.

I don't know- have you read the setup? If you particularly want to do it, here's the test- what advice would you give to newbies given there could be a 1-shot vigilante in the game?

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
If your the vig ?
Don't pull the trigger unless we got something like a cop guilty / tracker guilty.
Not even for annoying non-posting prod dodging slots who do nothing , only shoot the guilty ones :thumbsup:

If your everyone else ?
Take into consideration where the person claimed vig / how they claimed / the circumstances / get reasons behind their vig target and most importantly, if possible get a cop / tracker on that person next nightPhase to make sure it isn't scum claiming vig.

And yes i read the set up

I'd call that answer a solid C+

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
If your the vig ?
Don't pull the trigger unless we got something like a cop guilty / tracker guilty.
Not even for annoying non-posting prod dodging slots who do nothing , only shoot the guilty ones :thumbsup:

If your everyone else ?
Take into consideration where the person claimed vig / how they claimed / the circumstances / get reasons behind their vig target and most importantly, if possible get a cop / tracker on that person next nightPhase to make sure it isn't scum claiming vig.

And yes i read the set up

I'd call that answer a solid C+
Grade: B

but there's no cop :/

and to be honest this setup is more about trying to read people than getting results from night actions- which is half the reason why there is no cop.

happy to have you IC if you're on good behaviour :)

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
/in to IC

I think I can handle one more mafia game, and I like IC'ing.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
My game is up next?

Good.

I am not running my game till ALL current newbie games are finished. I am not revealing flavour or anything till that time.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Possibly Soup. We'll see when it gets closer. ^^

Gosh darn, I keep getting you and Zen mixed-up due to the black and white avas.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Well since Kary's game is full

/in newbie to J's game. I have a good feeling about this one. Gotta get a Win in one of these damn newbies before thinking about regular games.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Reminds me of this guy from mafiascum who tried to justify everything bad he did with "I. WIN. GAMES."

Though by his definition, his idea of him winning was having terrible reads, being lynched D2, and have the town win without him. Think ryker with 1/8th the brains.

Even better, I saw a thread by him in which he *****ed and moaned about an entire playerlist not playing to their wincon because he claimed beloved princess (which he actually was) and nobody believed him (He considered himself confirmed town by claiming beloved princess.)

Swiss

Smash Lord
Reminds me of this guy from mafiascum who tried to justify everything bad he did with "I. WIN. GAMES."

Though by his definition, his idea of him winning was having terrible reads, being lynched D2, and have the town win without him. Think ryker with 1/8th the brains.

Even better, I saw a thread by him in which he *****ed and moaned about an entire playerlist not playing to their wincon because he claimed beloved princess (which he actually was) and nobody believed him (He considered himself confirmed town by claiming beloved princess.)
Mmmm.

Did he have a particularly good win percentage?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I don't know, but I found another thread where he claimed to have a "near perfect scum win record" (thread here)

This will require further investigation.

On another note, they have a thread about other mafia sites. Some guy named oversoul claimed to be from here (along with the older brother of skylerocon and SSBF)

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
/in to IC

I think I can handle one more mafia game, and I like IC'ing.
Damnit Soup, I came here to IC.
:green: :premium: :?:

Hmmm; you could always fight one another for it. Swiss is that a serious offer?

I'm short one IC, and if you're a newbie and would like to play I may be able to squeeze you in :)
Well since Kary's game is full

/in newbie to J's game. I have a good feeling about this one. Gotta get a Win in one of these damn newbies before thinking about regular games.
#1 I can fit you in my game if you want :?:
#2 If you feel you understand the basics of the game and won't get slaughtered in a normal game, go for that.

if you're interested in being a potential replacement in my game, let me know!

...Setting up my OP now: 140.96

John2k4

The End of an Era
J's got the right idea of waiting; multiple newbie games running at once only harms activity.

:phone:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
That, and I don't think anyone new has joined since the two previous newbie games.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
J's got the right idea of waiting; multiple newbie games running at once only harms activity.
I can happily hold mine up for a bit;
I don't want to step on your toes.

On the other hand, I don't think 2 games at once is unreasonable; depends on the player though.

Haha let Soup IC this, I'll butt devastate another game of newbies.
grand. though your choice of words does leave me a little :scared:
;)

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
It's like DGames is getting this mentality where you've got to do a ton of newbie games before trying a game in the normal queue.
Maybe we should put a limit on it? I don't see why not, some players (which I won't name) really don't have to be joining newbies anymore and should probably stick to the normal queue. As X1 said, after one newbie game you really don't have to play another, you will get more experience in a normal game regardless of how well you do, the biggest factor I look for in newbies is their willingness to learn and their efforts, how accurate they are on their reads is merely a bonus.

John2k4

The End of an Era
No no, you're fine Kary. I was just noting that I liked how J is doing his. =)

:phone:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Nah it's cool, I'll try my hand at a regular game. I can always move back to newbies if it turns out I'm not ready, but I think I am. I honestly don't know how much more I can improve playing newbies.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Nah it's cool, I'll try my hand at a regular game. I can always move back to newbies if it turns out I'm not ready, but I think I am. I honestly don't know how much more I can improve playing newbies.
Newbie games sadly don't differ too much at the core from regular mafia games. You're going to still be trying to find the mafia among a set amount of inactives, dealing with bad play from both town and scum, and it is possible that you will be tunneled for trying to get a feel on what tells are sufficient to warrant a scum read.

The good thing about regular games is that you won't have to deal with unrelated double standards between ICs and newbies which I personally believe makes the game even more confusing for new players to refine their sense of scumhunting. There will probably be double standards present, however it won't be a superficial construct to teach new players how to grasp the basics of the game. It will be game related and on plausible grounds to note or ponder.

As for how much you can improve, I think that depends a lot on who you are as a person. Admitting that your game has holes is one thing, noting that you have specific problems i.e. persuading other townies to listen to you or refining your scum sense is a crucial step for filling in the mistakes. How you address those flaws and if you ever do decide to do it is also tied into your personality and the standard to which you address the problems speaks to a level of caliber that you want to reach when playing this game.

Take for instance someone who recognizes they are poor at scumhunting. One person who becomes aware of it over a number of games comes up with the solution that once they establish a solid town read, they will sheep it if they don't have an actual scum read. Another players might try to train their eye for new tells that most people don't usually think of meanwhile someone else might try to take a more aggressive approach and use reaction tests to try to get a feel for the player cast. These are instances that have cropped up in games.

If I was more easy going I'd say that all these styles and solutions are right in their own way because people came up with it on their own terms. But they're not. Some of them just suck. And you will have to deal with it and discern it without crying to yourself at night because you have to find the mafia or else you will die in a blood mess the following morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom