• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"New WBR Admissions and Nominations" Discussion Topic

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
As you all know, MLG_JV has decided to give us our own regular user group here for our BR, with a colored name and everything. What needs to happen now is we need to decide on some guidelines for admittance. As one of this room's mods and contacts with JV I have taken it upon myself to get this whole thing started, but it should also be a collective effort from the whole room. You guys have a say in deciding what it takes to become a member of your room, because it is your room. It was given to you by JV at your request, which is a pretty awesome thing for a forum of this size.

As for the admissions guidelines themselves, this is what I've come up with so far. I feel like I've already thought of most of the important stuff, but of course if anybody has any more suggestions, I'm all ears. Here's basically what I see being put in the Workshop soon:

Preliminary Admissions Rubric

• Forum Name: self-explanatory
  • Characters played: also self-explanatory
  • Smash Brothers Tournament Experience: Not just Brawl or Brawl+ mind you, but all Smash games.
  • Interest and Contributions: This is the big one. JV says he really wants for new members to be active and contribute to the project. Now, with this project steadily getting closer to our "Gold Release," the scope of the room could change slightly. We might start looking at more people involved in the greater community as an outreach to more players, or top players to start helping us chart the metagame. Whatever the facet of skill or knowledge we're looking for, however, the core requirement of admittance to this room should always remain Contribution.
  • Links/Examples: This is where the users get to show off a little. We have them show us posts or topics where they demonstrated their knowledge or discussion abilities.

I'd like to reiterate here how important the Contribution requirement is to our room and our project. I know that once this group gets set up the actual admissions should still remain fairly low. I was given the example of 5 members being admitted monthly, and I think that's a fairly good starting point. Lower numbers being inducted (without being too stringent) will help us by making membership something desirable, promoting users to be on their best behavior if they want to join our group. This is why we have to make sure our applicants are going to be committed members.

Now, the important part, especially for you all, is how you want membership admittance to be conducted. In other Smash BRooms, users similarly fill out applications for admission, and when I was in the SBR there was a corresponding nomination/vote topic for all the people applying during that round of admissions. In the Forum BRoom, which I'm in now, they nominate people more passively, based on members' own observances about a user's posting style/quality, and nominees are then subject to more open-ended discussion as opposed to straight voting, though that often comes in after everyone's had their say. I'm in favor of a very formalized process incorporating as many of these things as possible. I'd like for people to take the initiative to apply to join the room, and show us they have what we're looking for in a new member, but past that things are very open for discussion still. I think it's important for us all to talk it all over concerning the applicants, so everyone is together on where we stand about different people, and then we vote if necessary. If any of you have any other ideas don't hesitate to speak up.

And of course, handling pending admissions is the last step in the process. Currently, whether JV is going to give one or more of us mods direct leadership of the user group and control of member admissions remains to be seen, as far as I know. Suggestions are of course welcome here, too.

That's all I have for now. Discuss.

shanus

Smash Hero
Sounds good to me. No complaints, and you know me and organization (Structure is always good!)

Almas

Smash Lord
Looks good, I guess. Make it so!

If you want me to paste something over to the Workshop, let me know.

That said, I'd appreciate responses regarding texture hackers in the other thread about it here, because I'd like to talk to them soon enough.

Revven

FrankerZ
The thing that worries me about texture hackers being in here, Almas, are two things.

1) If we let them back here, and they have no real competitive background and only focus on the textures, what is going to stop them from posting in the threads discussing character changes and etc.? Say, someone like Knux for example (not saying he has no competitive background) could easily argue with whoever for not agreeing with a certain change and give a hard time to keeping it and/or removing it. Just an example, not saying it will happen.

2) When we're done with textures, what will they be doing next then? Obviously if they have no competitive background or intent in Brawl+ or any Smash game in general, it looks like the best option would be to kick them out? But that feels wrong simply because they would now have access for awhile and then pushed right out... seems like taking talent for granted. I don't know, just a small issue I have.

I'd much rather discuss textures with them through PM than letting them back here if only because they are texture hackers and nothing more. But, that's me, unless you can supply me with good reasons for the above two worries I have.

Almas

Smash Lord
I think we have a lot of texture work to get done, and inviting people in is great incentive. I think there's a very, very large supply of textures that would polish and pretty up the game. Saying "what use will they be once we don't need any more" also implies that all coders should be kicked once the programming aspects are complete. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, considering this group is small enough that we can judge each person's contributions.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
So, since no one else has said anything, can I assume that what I've proposed is acceptable for how we want our group to function? We can continue the texture artist discussion here, because that's what we'll be doing anyway once the group goes live, deciding who we want to admit to the room and why. I guess I'll let JV know we've got our stuff set, and make a topic for it back here so when he's ready to roll it out we can have our stuff ready to go too.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
We don't need any sole texture hackers back here. It would help that we can get a member or two (if theyr already back here or not) that are qualified enough to be a standard member, and that have some texture knowledge. Then we can just continue in commucating with the Workshop in threads or pms to get textures we need, though there are barely any that I can think of...

How are we going to choose who to send the apps to? Open them up to everyone? Or perhaps we have users back here name people they would maybe like to see back here, take about 20 or 25 from the list, and send them applications? Then we can choose 5-10 from there.

Even though you suggested we let in about 5 per month, which is good, two things on that... Our initial invitation shouldn't have the 5 barrier, and should be open to as many as we find fit, since this is the first time really looking for new members. Second, if someone really deserves to be back here, but simply cant because of the 5 limit and we have to wait till the next month, ignore it. If we can't let someone in here that truly belongs here because of some limit, then that is hurting the growth of the WBR. Have the limit be more of a guide for when we should actively look for new memebrs.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Have a team to review apps. 2-3 people already back here can review apps. I've done guild recruiter in WoW so this really won't be that different. Just have people send it to me via PM and I'll forward it to others. After we review it, we'll post our thoughts on the ones we think are good and the rest of the Back Room can vote from there.

Anyway, a limit is good to keep us in check and should be enforced unless there is a very good reason.

I vote for illianex an knuxrouge to be our official texture hackers. Roymaster is also really good.

Almas

Smash Lord
Looks like Yeroc has everything under control - I have no idea what's going on, but I'm fine with that right now.

I believe Paprika needs to be re-added to this group. And although I have the ability to do it, I don't know how.

D

Deleted member

yeroc send me a message, I had to aplly in the CP and yeroc would take care of it.

shanus

Smash Hero
User CP -> group members -> change your color in there paprika as you are a part of this group

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You should set a deadline for the first round of applications. then when the round is over, we gather em up, post links to all of em back here, and we vote or something.

D

Deleted member

agreed, and even more so agreed with the deaadline GoG proposed, cuz that's when I'm back from my little holiday trip.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Aren't there a bunch of people with basically guaranteed spots for the next round, like Yes!, Spam, NinjaLink, etc?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
make sure they apply.

make it necessary to do so. its not fair for everyone else to have to now when these ppl dont

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
This ^

I understand some of us have had their eyes on these people to help us out and join the team, but cutting side deals at a time when we're trying to open ourselves up a little to the general public isn't going to help their perceptions of what it takes to become a part of the room. I've already got my NC smash friends clamoring for admittance because I know them, and I have to tell them to apply like everybody else.

Shanus, I would appreciate it if you could tell the people that have been invited and have not already filled out an application to go ahead and do so quickly. I've decided I'm going to institute a deadline soon, and from now on I won't admit anyone who hasn't filled out an application during an open admissions period, nor at any other time without pretty much unanimous WBR approval for such people.

Top Bottom