• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New ways to do angelic step? (Epic Video)

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Okay so I found out that you can crouch, then hit back forward to get the same effect as the angelic step.

Basically replace the spotdodge with a crouch.

I've been messing with this and it works with many other characters. Some of the best being falco, luigi, samus, and unfortunately.... snake.

But yeah whats this mean? What scenarios will be better?
One scenario that kupo pointed out is when you're arrow looping, as soon as you crouch switch it up into a angelic step. Another one would be to follow a d-tilt up with this.

The pros and cons vs stepdodging

Pros:
Hides it better
can be used out of certain moves.

Cons:
No stepdodge invulnerability
Can't be done out of a dash.

Discuss.
Kupos list of other moves this can be done out of.

wow nice find. This is becoming more than we thought. 3 ways. i guess Fast falling could have its uses. idk y it took me this long to realize but maybe there can be more than 3 ways to do this. I think this can happen after any move that has lag.

EDIT: I did a test and was able to do the Angelic step after laggy Dair!
EDIT: And after all aerials, laggy or not!!
EDIT: And after a Jump which includes finishing aerial before landing
EDIT: And after an ARROW!
EDIT: And after an Angel Ring!
EDIT: And all Smashes!!
EDIT: And all tilts!
EDIT: And the AAA
EDIT: And the Dash attack
EDIT: And after Rolling
EDIT: And the ledge attack
EDIT: And after a shield
EDIT: ect.

It is confirmed that Pit can do an Angelic Step after ANYTHING and ANY move except the WoI!!
Pretty neat!
Also a lovely video because kupo is awesome

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm liking how this is working out. Buffering the Pivot Slide with various things is almost too good to be true. ^_^ I'll test things along side ya Sage.

kown

Smash Lord
hmm when i try the crouch i get a different effect. i mean its kinda the same except the sidestep feels smoother. i can c me doing a fake arrow loop and crouch angelic step but i think thatd be it.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
the crouch does have room for error, you just have to be more precise with the timing of back and toward. That's all.

kown

Smash Lord
c i dont do the angelic step pressing back and forwards. i do a top of the joystick semicircle if that makes sense. i find it easier

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Nah, this will certainly have mindgame implications. That's for sure. I just can't wait to get time to play with it. Can we get a vid somehow in the mean time...? ^_^

Namiel

Smash Cadet
Angelic Step also works with a roll dodge. I don't think that's been mentioned surprisingly. I've had trouble getting consistent distance though *shrugs* I've been holding back from my dodge and it seems to be working better when I let go just before he actually turns around. Could be mistaken.

Also, if you tap backwards to make your character turn around without dashing, it doesn't matter how hard you quickly smash the stick the other way, the character will walk, not dash, just like an Angel Step. I suppose you could mess with an opponents head with "fake" Angel Steps *shrugs* But just a fun fact none-the-less. Perhaps some understanding of the mechanics behind it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This seems enjoyable. I'll try this out. For some reason I think the first Angelic step was better only because of the Invulnerability stepdodging.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
This is great. Now that we have two ways to do it, it has some mindgame potential.

EDIT: Curse you Undr, for beating me to it!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I asked this in another thread, but I forgot where it was...Oo What happens when you use two of them in succession one after another? I know it gives you a boost, but can they be linked together for a better boost or somethin?

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I don't think doing a second one increases the effectiveness of the first one, I think it just makes you do a second one.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I found a possible third way to do this. Simply do a standard jump (Dont do any attacks, and make sure he lands where the Smoke from the ground come out) and then when he lands, back and foward, and you get to do it. Being curious really helps.
Bowser does one too, but doesnt go pretty far, but you will notice it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
wow nice find. This is becoming more than we thought. 3 ways. i guess Fast falling could have its uses. idk y it took me this long to realize but maybe there can be more than 3 ways to do this. I think this can happen after any move that has lag.

EDIT: I did a test and was able to do the Angelic step after laggy Dair!
EDIT: And after all aerials, laggy or not!!
EDIT: And after a Jump which includes finishing aerial before landing
EDIT: And after an ARROW!
EDIT: And after an Angel Ring!
EDIT: And all Smashes!!
EDIT: And all tilts!
EDIT: And the AAA
EDIT: And the Dash attack
EDIT: And after Rolling
EDIT: And the ledge attack
EDIT: And after a shield
EDIT: ect.

It is confirmed that Pit can do an Angelic Step after ANYTHING and ANY move
Pretty neat!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Your welcome for the inspiration, and I'll give you replays of the Angelic step. Since i cant record, Need FC and Wii # to send stuff since I lack recording materials.
I'll try Kupo's test tomorrow, and then I'll see what Bowser can do.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
woa, pit's metagame is gonna spike in like two months or so when we can learn to master this.

kown

Smash Lord
pits just one of those chars waiting to be discovered.

EDIT: i did the sickest thing. wingdash> sidestep> angelic step> fsmash

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't even remember what a wing dash is this late at night, but it sounds interesting...g'night.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yeah I did it by mistake against Jasona the other day. I Wingdashed, then just like it was any other move, I saw an opportunity subconsciously and pull a Angelic Step after I landed.

Thing is though, I can't get the same distance without the help of the SlideStep's additional momentum.

kupo15

Smash Hero
That settles it, I will make a video because I have been able to get the same slide for all moves.

EDIT: Captured footage, in editing process in about an hour

kupo15

Smash Hero
I am almost done and this video is pretty Sweet!! I have been playing around with chaining Angelic steps together and I have to say, the possibilities are ENDLESS!!! Where should I post the vid when Im done? Here or undr's original thread?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
You can do consecutive angelic steps with the F-tilt, or that's what i done
Angelic Step to F-tilt and repeat.
You can even Glide cancel and do it right away, or I hope Glide cancel is the right term.

kupo15

Smash Hero
You can do ANYTHING into an Angelic step lol. This means nothing into an Angelic step. You don't even need to do a move to perform one roflol!!

I will still be editing after dinner because I have messed around with combos for a half hour and I half to go through it and find the best ones. I won't show them all because the combination possibilities are as endless as your imagination!!

This video is going to completely cover any questions about Angelic Step.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If only you and I can connect, I can contribute to the Vid, and i wont feel completely left out.
However, it may lag anyways. GL with it.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well this might actually kill the Angelic Step. What you're doing is Pivot Sliding, a universal AT. However only Pit and Ganondorf can really do it out of their SideSteps due to the SlideStep functionality of their SideSteps. If this can be done out of his moves at the same length as with the SlideStep, then the idea of SlideStepping only means he can do it out of his SideStep. Which isn't all that special. Well, we can still call it the Angelic Step right? lol

Anyway I wanna see this video. I don't have the time to check it out for myself. >_<

kupo15

Smash Hero
the video is done and I believe it is still specific to Pit. It better be since I spent all day on the video lol ^_^
You will def. see that no other character can do this. I had the same fear as yours Undr so I tested it with several char and could not do it. It should be up within the next half hour. Where should I post it, here?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd post it here so Sage could put it in the OP. I'm on the edge of my chair...Oo.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
loved it! I'll have to practice it more. 4:18 was awesome. great for continuing combos?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
After seeing your timing I was able to do it lickitysplit. However I was at first going to not even bring it up, but due to reasons I can't explain at the moment my next project can't be inaccurate and it would suck if I were wrong in said project.

Anyway this is amazing, but I don't think this can be labeled "Angelic Stepping". This is exactly the same as Angelic Stepping in every way except that Angelic Stepping is utilizing the SlideStep for an extra push on the end of a buffered Pivot Slide. Since the SlideStep is absent in these I believe the correct terminology would be Buffered Pivot Slides. Calling it "Angelic Stepping" is sorta stealing the AT and giving it a new name.

But I might be wrong. I don't think I am since to me it seems pretty clear cut but I want your opinions on it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks, glad you liked it ^_^
How about Angeldancing? That is Sagemoons idea btw, just wanted to get this clear so I can edit the video before I get comments ya know.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
After seeing your timing I was able to do it lickitysplit. However I was at first going to not even bring it up, but due to reasons I can't explain at the moment my next project can't be inaccurate and it would suck if I were wrong in said project.
Pit the next SBR character of the week? Sorry I couldn't resist a guess.

The tech. definitely looks like a pivot slide but its nice showing of how good the pivot slide is on pit.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks! Sagemoon is already finding that it helps his Pit move better. I can't wait to master it with all moves. This has a lot of potential I think. Yes your right in saying that it is a Pivot slide, but I think Pit makes the best use of it.

Pit is next? That would be cool. I have been waiting for that. It is a good guess Ryan

Top Bottom