• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Vids Of My Samus Winners finals 5/31, Enjoy! =] .... WATCH!!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Once again, at least you have people. I would rather have good people that ***** about my character than the situation I'm in right now, building up a community. I have about 4 people in training and I have a tourny this weekend. It's a free tournament to try to get anyone to show up and give it a try and raise interest. If I get even 10 people, then I'll start making it a bi weekly thing.

The problem still is that there isn't anyone on my level. There isn't anyone to get my heart pounding, to force me to push my tech, mindgames, and strategy to the extreme. No one to analyze and try new things on. People who can appreciate and understand the complexity of things that I'm doing. People who would be my rival. I have no one. I have about 4 scrubs playing and only 1 of them is enthusiastic at all.

It's just sad.

Adict

Smash Cadet
thats exactly my situation but mines a tad different.

i have 3 friends that play, and we have been playing for about 3-4 years now but all we have to play in the area is each other and we've been playing each other for like 3 years so we know each others style way to well and we get used to it way to much so when we do end up going to tournies none of us really know what to expect since were all used to each others playstyle lol

Geist

Smash Master
Once again, at least you have people. I would rather have good people that ***** about my character than the situation I'm in right now, building up a community. I have about 4 people in training and I have a tourny this weekend. It's a free tournament to try to get anyone to show up and give it a try and raise interest. If I get even 10 people, then I'll start making it a bi weekly thing.

The problem still is that there isn't anyone on my level. There isn't anyone to get my heart pounding, to force me to push my tech, mindgames, and strategy to the extreme. No one to analyze and try new things on. People who can appreciate and understand the complexity of things that I'm doing. People who would be my rival. I have no one. I have about 4 scrubs playing and only 1 of them is enthusiastic at all.

It's just sad.

EBF

Smash Cadet
But tyser, you should be completely able to win tournaments in your area with Samus. I won tournaments in Socal with Samus, and I won tournaments in the West Coast with samus.

Granted, Socal was only the 2nd best locale in the nation (Arguably) and the west coast was only the 2nd best region in the nation (Again, arguably), but that means that anything below it should be winnable. Just work on it harder.

I don't blame alukard though, I can't fathom beating m2k with Samus unless you get him to choke. On the East Coast, or on a National scale, you kind of just have to hope you run into the right people, like I did @ EVO 2k7.

Otherwise, you should be able to beat enough people to say that Samus can win tournaments, especially in your homestate, Tyser.
True true. I just dont really see myself progressing because I dont go OoS very often. And I consistantly lose to people in my area when we go to our monthlies and stuff :S Watty isnt even winning and he's the supposed best Samus in the Midwest -_- Maybe Midwest Samus players just arent good enough.

Oh yeah . . . HugS posted to me! *mind blows up

Im switching my main to Fox now btw.

Watty

Smash Lord
i live with drephen and mathos play with bigr all the time and bigd and juke visit every once in a while. GET OWNED SON

rhan

Smash Hero

It's just sad.
I know how that is man. :(

Host something in like May and I'll try to come if I got my lisence by then (which is a high chance). I'll bring smashers along for the ride.

Watty

Smash Lord
do not question me because what i say will become inevitable

Corigames

Smash Hero
Host something in like May and I'll try to come if I got my lisence by then (which is a high chance). I'll bring smashers along for the ride.
I plan on doing an even AT LEAST once a month from now on starting with this thing on the 4th. If I get a large crowd... or like, 10 people, I will make a bi-weekly event.

lexington

Smash Cadet
thanks ... and i mean people say its good that i'm close by all these people ... but they all hate fighting samus ... and just complain that she is annoying and boring to fight ... lolol ... so no one really wants to give me practice

wat a character samus is ... =]
that is so true =[, it kinda happens to me sometimes here =/
why a lot people hate samus =(, she is a good girl (A) (:

I plan on doing an even AT LEAST once a month from now on starting with this thing on the 4th. If I get a large crowd... or like, 10 people, I will make a bi-weekly event.
at least you have a lot of stuff you can go in the US, where i live, we are like 10+ people, ok thats good, but there arent many toruneys =/

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
thanks ... and i mean people say its good that i'm close by all these people ... but they all hate fighting samus ... and just complain that she is annoying and boring to fight ... lolol ... so no one really wants to give me practice

wat a character samus is ... =]
You should say most people close to you because I don't hate fighting Samus and she's not annoying or boring to fight for me. Although you probably don't like getting practice from me since I also use Samus, no one plays like I do, and she's easy to fight against for me.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
You should say most people close to you because I don't hate fighting Samus and she's not annoying or boring to fight for me. Although you probably don't like getting practice from me since I also use Samus, no one plays like I do, and she's easy to fight against for me.
whoa whoa whoa whoa, whoa....wait a second..
wheres my batman cup?

lol jk. You are training my samus to be similar to yours. Maybe your play style with samus will soon be the foundation of all samus playstyles. Who knows.

Geist

Smash Master
Generally the slow defensive samus is getting rare. It used to be the general way to play her.
I think everyone realized that they won't be winning tourneys with Samus any time soon, so they might as well play the fun way lolol.

That or every samus as of late watched Phanna.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Generally the slow defensive samus is getting rare. It used to be the general way to play her.
I think everyone realized that they won't be winning tourneys with Samus any time soon, so they might as well play the fun way lolol.

That or every samus as of late watched Phanna.
or me for that matter ... i think i'm the most aggro samus on the planet LMFAOOO

(well aggro and good lol)

Geist

Smash Master
^lol yeah I play too aggressively, except I can't say I'm any good.
Lanowen completely wrecked me in dittos one time because I was playing sooooo stupid and clumsy. That was embarrassing. xD

but no johns

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
whoa whoa whoa whoa, whoa....wait a second..
wheres my batman cup?

lol jk. You are training my samus to be similar to yours. Maybe your play style with samus will soon be the foundation of all samus playstyles. Who knows.
Similar to mine but at the same time fusing your own Samus play style with the one I'm teaching you. You definitely have the potential to be a great Samus player and just a great player in general regardless of what character you play. Many people or maybe even everyone may say my playing style is super weird, but its very effective. Mind games all dai lol!

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Similar to mine but at the same time fusing your own Samus play style with the one I'm teaching you. You definitely have the potential to be a great Samus player and just a great player in general regardless of what character you play. Many people or maybe even everyone may say my playing style is super weird, but its very effective. Mind games all dai lol!
lol i guess your right. I'm also taking in some play styles from other people (shout out to Hax!!!) But since samus is my main, and since the samus players who are good and win and stuff and is close to me are only like...alukard....me....you....and maybe one other person. I'm sure there is another good samus player out there, but the only ones that i can spectate and observe is you and alukard. Us samus players are a rare breed...which is weird because according to the tier list, samus is pretty high up there.

Geist

Smash Master
Lol that was a long time ago :D

4 stocked. gg

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:
xD

lol surprisingly my Zelda almost pulled through for that set. The last match was pretty close
I'm coming back down for summer for a rematch :p
<333

Us samus players are a rare breed...which is weird because according to the tier list, samus is pretty high up there.
You basically defined why I play Samus. Whoooo

Corigames

Smash Hero
I was explaining this to a friend of mine why I believe there are few Samus players. You see, all the characters above her on the tier list have something that is specifically "amazing" about that character. Fox is the shine, Falco the Dair, Marth's tippers, Peach's recovery/mobility/spam, Falcon's everything, Shiek's everything, ice climbers... there's TWO OF THEM!

So everyone above her has something that makes them great. If you look at Samus or a player her, there isn't something that is amazing about her. She has a ton of solid moves, but none of them would really gimp any one. The missiles are great, but can be easily stopped and the charge blast takes forever and can be taken away easy. There just isn't anything extraordinary about her, but she's just good.

Then below her are characters like Doc and Ganon. These characters aren't as solid, so, when they win a tournament everyone is super surprised. That person gets mad recognition. Meanwhile, if a Samus wins, she's good enough that people are like, "Well, that's cool I guess. I mean, Samus is the top of high tier etc." So people expect her to do good since she's a pretty **** good character even though, in comparison to the higher tiers, she has to be on top of her game just to give a good show. So, if you lose, people think you suck even though you are playing a "worse" character and, if you win, people don't mind it as much as other characters in that tier because Samus is an alright character.

tl;dr
She's great but not great enough.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
i disagree.

if we're going to say Peach's mobility and spam are amazing (lol), Samus definitely has an amazing OoS game that's worth talking about.

Also, I'm surprised by a Samus winning anything vs. competent players playing top/high tiers.

My theory is that the vast majority of smashers find her mind numbingly boring to play and not as good as other mind numbingly boring characters like Jiggs, and hence she's not played by many people.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Peach floating through the air smashing her *** while going on a straight path to the follow up sounds like a superior form of mobility to me. Also, her recovery is from soooooo far.

How is Samus seen as boring? >_> This confuses me.

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
Samus also has an amazing CC and recovery. I dunno but I think Samus feels kinda awkward to most players, particularly because of her her high and slow jumps, on top of her odd combination of being one of the absolute heaviest characters and extremely floaty... And why she doesn't get recognition, I wouldn't be so sure of that. Everybody knows of Hugs and Aniki (for example).

pockyD

Smash Legend
samus doesn't combo well (some stuff looks pretty, but even then you're doing 3% a hit so your combo as a whole might do 20-30 unless you have a charge shot)

she doesn't get combo'd well

she can't approach well

she is hard to approach

she doesn't KO well

she doesn't get KO'd well

verdict: BORING matchup to play

Corigames

Smash Hero
You play Sheik, how can anyone have fun while around you, including yourself?

Also, Mogwai, Falco would also have to be boring because that whole fight would be Samus waiting for you to do something so she can counter it. So, when you are in a match that's dependent on you initiating an attack, I can see where you would get the idea that Samus is boring, but it's only because of your reluctance to go on the offensive.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Too bad sheik isn't just ftilt fair....you can at least try and pretend to make sheik look exciting with stuffz.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sounds like a personal problem Mog. Maybe you should get better.

And any Sheik is good as long as you have a gamecube controller and a copy of smash. It's one of the laws of smash.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Sounds like a personal problem Mog. Maybe you should get better.
WOW, REALLY?!?!?! That is SOOOOOOOOOOOO insightful! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH for helping me get over my hatred for playing vs. Samus by telling me to get better! I really never thought of that before you said it, you really are an utter genius, and I must insist that you study psychology and help others with your incredible talents.

And any Sheik is good as long as you have a gamecube controller and a copy of smash. It's one of the laws of smash.
My Sheik is terrible and loses to anyone who is at all competent... but now that I think of it this must do with my personal problem of not being good enough, so I'll assume that this is why I'm going against this law of smash!

Geist

Smash Master
Everyone's best character is secretly sheik.

I get the impression that Samus can be boring to play because she usually plays like a brick wall with missiles that doesn't die. But I havn't had anyone complain to me directly that Samus is boring to fight.
Maybe it's one of those placebo stereotype things...

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
Amazing logic. You could write a book or something. (not at blowtoes)

ok here i am tellling you

samus is boring

lol jk <3

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
lol wow mogwai and coreygames. I think what corey is trying to say is...Sheik is a automatic level up in the chance of winning from any character below her from the tier list. Lets say you used to play kirby...then switched the sheik. NOT player-wised, you should be winning a whole lot more matches and stuff.
Also:
in your sig mogwai...what in the hell is pc chris doing? it looks like DK's b-down except standing up.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
i think what he's saying that anyone can be good with sheik

which is false

KevinM told me it was the fox dance or something? (that PC is doing)

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
LOOOOOLL thats prolly the best thing ever.

now that i know context. sorta

Top Bottom