• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Update: Tether Recovery

burrito

Smash Lord
Well, the update is slightly interesting because it shows a new type of up B recovery move. I don't think the whip "homes in" on the stage. Since it is a whip, she probably actually whips it and it will latch onto the stage.

For those who thinks its up special u deserve a smack on ur face.
This move is actually "Z" or grapple and if u dont believe me u can always try it on melee it works too :)
Am I the only one who knew this?
Read the update. It says that it is her up B move. She is a different character from Samus.

M.K

Level 55
I'm guessing you don't quite understand the concept of a bridge.
Yeah....about that, I though about it after I typed it and I was like...wow, that was...a "special" comment..

I understand fully what a bridge's concept is...type of cake, right?

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
I think the part of the bridge shown is the side when the middle falls out.

Kayn

Smash Cadet
I dont know about you, but I can read, and if sakurai says its her Upb special, then it is...

and dont act like you know everything, everyone knows the Z return ability, but samus Upb is a longer recovery than usual, making it the best tether recovery seen so far...
Thats what he was saying genius. And by the way...its is the only tether recovery we've seen so far.

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty good that we're getting an update every weekday at all! We never had weekday updates for Melee, or basically any game for that matter. An update is an update, no matter how good or bad. Maybe the Smash Guy wanted to save the better stuff for later, or he couldn't think of any cool developments for that day.

Yoshi's up+B in Melee wasn't the best recovery move in the world either.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It's pretty good that we're getting an update every weekday at all! We never had weekday updates for Melee, or basically any game for that matter. An update is an update, no matter how good or bad. Maybe the Smash Guy wanted to save the better stuff for later, or he couldn't think of any cool developments for that day.

Yoshi's up+B in Melee wasn't the best recovery move in the world either.
Very true.

I founds the update lacking, but I'll live. At least we know ZSS's up B.

dark_templar_99

Smash Cadet
How is she supposed to use the UP B when NOWHERE near a ledge? =S
who said you had to be near a ledge? this isn't melee its brawl. ZSS UP-B looks really far range. its long enough to use from a distance. i'd say 2-3 times as far as link's or samus's from melee

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to rethink my position on her Up B. Since she has a whip, perhaps she merely snaps it in an arc, like the upper 180 degree, or in front of and upper 90 degrees or somesuch. As a standard move. And if it hits anything, it automatically grapples it. Seems like a lot less effort than aiming, and more whip-like than auto targeting. Also means that the move could just as easily be used while standing to either damage or grab people right out of the air.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else think it looks a bit diffrent than what we might have thought?

Maybe she shot from that level, and the whip shot to the stage automatically?

dark_templar_99

Smash Cadet
Anyone else think it looks a bit diffrent than what we might have thought?

Maybe she shot from that level, and the whip shot to the stage automatically?
I thought that too, but if you look at her hair, its curved showing how she was moving. she swung from a higher level down to there. when she gets to the bottem, you can see her hair just goes limp.

I'm thinking you can aim it only cuz its an up-b attack. if it was just left or right, its not worthy of a recovery. but yeah i think she "COULD" reach from down there.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Look at pictures 2 and 3. These are not two instances of the tether recovery being used. They're a storyboard. In the second picture, the whip has not yet connected to the ledge, but is travelling towards it. By the third picture, the whip has connected, perfectly connecting with the ledge.

Hypotheses:
1. The whip homes in on the ledge.

2. The computers are hella accurate at this aiming thing.

Either one is likely, and either one would require an assumption on our part (since when did a computer ever try to sweet-spot?), so I don't think a conclusion yet.

I'm wondering if this tether recovery thing works below levels or something. Or more interesting, above.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Can someone translate the Japanese update? I can't find the "up special move" anywhere there.
This is whre I step in with mediocre Japanese skillls.
そこを上必殺ワザ!
Actually, all I can say is that を denotes doing something and 上 means up
Oh, and it's called Wire Recovery rather than tether >_>;

Anyways, all we can really do is to wait for more information and/or until the the game comes out. My theories at least are that Samus' up B is this:

Akin to Link's Spin Slash, she'll get a bit of air and then the whip will lash forward, perhaps hitting the wall and tethering on.

dark_templar_99

Smash Cadet
I didn't think it was that bad of an update, but one thing that's got me worried is that with this update and the pkmn change update, has Sakurai brought it down to one special move per update? I sure hope not.
this update isn't for samus. It was listed in the "how to play" category. Other characters will have this too. Maybe all characters will have a way to grab on to vertical walls. Some might tether some might wall jump and maybe there is something else we dont know about.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
You can't expect to be pleased with the occasional "How to Play" topic when most anyone here knows very well how to play Smash Brothers... the Smash Dojo, although definitely frequented by the core gamers, is tailored so that there's something for everyone. That's how Nintendo works. So we'll just have to excuse the occasional topic that doesn't mean much to us, as it's there for someone who isn't a core gamer.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Dudes of course her UP+B is like sheik's DOWN+B but you can aim it's first throw and it can be used to grab walls.

So obvious!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I actually think TaurToph was kidding. >__>

Well, I hope he was anyway.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Akin to Link's Spin Slash, she'll get a bit of air and then the whip will lash forward, perhaps hitting the wall and tethering on.
I like this idea because it gives her a more useful B^ move for some situations, but also that would very likely detract from the overall height she could gain from her B^ because she is spinning the whip at about her height.

I think that because it is a whip, its very possible she whips it over herself and when it hits a wall, it latches...which means alot of auto sweetspot.

Top Bottom