• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new universal ledge strategy!

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
Dont want to seem like ... 'oh! i found i new AT im the best! worship me!' but...
has ne1 else noticed that when you start a jump from the ledge (press y when ure on the ledge) u can attack IMMEDIATLEY after u let go of the edge?
i've discovered a few properties with this.
No.1 u can cancel all movement of the jump immediate;ly with a move that overides your current momentum I.E. metaknights down b, TL's dair, fox's shine etc.
If this hasnt been disvoverd or named yet ill refer to this form of use as Ledge jump cancelling
No.2 u get momentum forward and up when doing attacks similair to that of a DJC in melee and also you keep your 2nd jump! (very useful in edgeguarding)
No.3 u have momentum forward with attacks that ONLY stop your vertical movement. I.E Jigg's bownB, this combined with the forward momentum gives a larger hitbox for this (not too impressive but combined with point 4...)
No.4 it is faster than most other options of getting back from the ledge, i.e. drop down jump arieal/special e.g. compare: drop jump down B, stand down B, or Y downB (must hit B VERY quickly after pressing Y).
now please keep these in mind for the rest of the post.
this also opens options for certain mindgames as it looks as if your returning to stage(thus you can attack returning players with the element of surprise) and some characters projectiles work this way also(ill explain later) also as another method of edge guarding... for example doing this with samus bair, u can get 3 safely in and grab the ledge again, since all characters jumps from the ledge are high, and the DJC effect + floatier characters in general you can attack in a lot of space regarding players coming back on stage.
now who is it useful for? ive used this with all of the characters but not in a real match as of yet, i wanted to get some opionions form everyone else before i do (as im in the UK not many smashers near me :)) newa thats where you come in, try this out comment on the thrread wether it works or not and i've made a list of attacks it works for cause i have that kinda spare time :) and remeber this is a test as to wether it works or not!

Mario. cape (possibly for edge guard fox/falco's forward b?) upB (leaves u vulnerable)
D.K Forward special, on approach (also as a meteor edgeguard with Bsticking) bair for EG
Link didn't find anything useful

SAMUS: lots of potential here! using bombs, as the bombs have a very low knockback and some stun combined with samus' aerial mobility, you can Ledge Jump Cancel a bomb this opens up a few doors
No.1 grab the ledge again and attack (the bomb position will stop player approaching you.
No. 2 DI, off stage double jump and attack the bomb stops approaching players again but also can be used to link combos possibly?
no. 3 DI offstage and double jump then charge beam! (fully charged) if the bomb hits you should have a free K.O. if not people might be surprised by your movements and caught off guard?
also LJC bairs for 'stage guard'

Kirby. useful here for Bairs again. but also with the aerial hammer, LJC a forward B on and offstage seems very quick and useful with surprising range for this attack (see property No.3) also can be done away from stage, for edgeguard against vertically recovering players

Fox . LJC the shine seems useful. his forward seems useful only with the Bstick tho! as w/o, you str=art the attack on stage an an easily attackable position

Pika Forwarb B possibly, thunder possibly

Marth. Forward special is VERY versatile here can be used for approach to stage can be used as edgeguard (with diff directions used ) his down b is very useful here! allows you to come back onstage COUNTERING! punishable if missed but adds to mind games possibly? up B can be used to get onstage and as a gd kill move from here O.o also double as a stage guard.
all of his aerials can bes used very well here for all situations. experiment for urselves as they all work

G&W his down b can be done very quickly and surprsingly out of this, and can be done so quick (with b stick only) u pull the bucket on the stage. LJC bair is gd for edeguarding, and LJCing his dair doesnt suicide you!

Luigi, you can up special very quickly here:)

Diddy, cudnt be bothered lol, he's gd enough neway :)

Pit. only found his down b can be LJC to allow safe from projectiles appraoch onto stage

MK, all of his special can be used here to get back onto stage. his down B covers insane distance here, reaching the edge of the diamond in the middle of FD, u can attack out of this anywhere between the edge of stage to about a third into the stage tornado is really useful as well as getting pple caught in them is become harder. all of his aerials are insane from here especially at coming back on stage, his fair and nair still have a few invicinilty frames AS THEY START!

Falco, only his dair seemd to work.

Pk trainer... err, 3 diff chars, how bout NO!

Ike counter like marth's also his bair for edeguarding.

Snake, i only found it useful for his down B in certain situations, since its a surprising action, u might get away with planting his down b mines on ppl :p

god im only halfway.........

Peach i found nothing

Yoshi, yep still bottom tier

Ganondorf, maybe his downspecial?

IC, neutral B for appraoch and forward B also :)

DDD dair's ok for an approach

wolf, nothing, yer, i know u'd expect summat with his reflector right?

Lucario, down B possibly, and dair

Ness bown B? his neutral air is ok, as well

sonic nothing

bowser. didnt find anything special

wario, his fair and nair hit close opponents with this

Young LINK. now i feel YL has the same potential as samus here, with bombs, basically have one wen ure on the edge, LJC down throw (dont throw too quick or if you hit them u get hit also) from here either you hit them then follow up with a hdair! or DI to the edge again and whilst ettin another bomb and rpeat... his nair is good for appraoching also :)

ROB didnt find anything

Olimar He's gd enough anyway

CF not much here, the raptor boost has too much wind up time to be effective in my opinion but the falcon punch can be turned and with DI away from stage, you can kind of edgeguard with it i suppose,

Jiggs, down B is ok i think, the LJC gives it a bit more range and makes it surprsing and a few aerials are nice,

Lucas. his down B puts him ont stage V nicely and hits the opponent away from a surprising range, this is useful also as it linkt to one of his AT's his dair also is very good LJCed and it maybe possibly to drag ppl off with it for a spike?

anyway these are just some things i've found, this is an idea i wnat to be tested before i say anything else on it :) and if this is allreeady written about anyway ive just wasted an evening :) but at least theres a somewhat guideline as to how it could be used anyway, try it out guys n gimme feedback :)

Ørion

Smash Ace
Are you just talking about attacking after recovering? If so, I wouldn't call that an AT, but the moves can still be very useful.. Nice job compiling a list of all the uses etc. If i'm not understanding what you mean could you please clarify it?

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
fair nough, i suppose its just new to me then, lol, thing is i havent really seen it done much, but hey the games not even realesed yet ehwre i am :p

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
Are you just talking about attacking after recovering? If so, I wouldn't call that an AT, but the moves can still be very useful.. Nice job compiling a list of all the uses etc. If i'm not understanding what you mean could you please clarify it?
kind of attacking after a recovery but from when you're on the ledge, jump, u can then attack immediately after you let go of the ledge rather than in melee u had to wait till the peak of your jump. so before u've reached the peak of ure jump ure allready in your attack animation,
that help :) and thanks... took me ages....
so it's different from attacking as by pressing A and different from drop donw jump attack :) and i think its faster than those 2

Blad01

Smash Lord
I already knew that, but yeah i should consider it for edgeguarding...
To hang the ledge and to have the possibility right after the jump could help :)

Nokes

Smash Rookie
If you look in the Fox threads there is an article about shining straight from the ledge. Also using a counter coming off the ledge with Ike is a terrible move. This is due to the fact that his counter is extremely slow therefore if your opponent is waiting with a smash, a counter will just get you punished and not register in time (although Marth's counter is faster so it might work).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, the discovery is less of a "new technique" and more of a property of Brawl, that you can perform an attack almost immediately after a ledgejump (not a ledgehop) now.

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
It is the exact same thing. A repackaged "AT".
yea i was gonna, say, u could ledgehop aerials or anything in my opinion it's fasters and it seems to leave u with a few invincibility frames also? but its better to ledge hop lasers with falco than do it with this, so... yea, :)

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your explanation, but... how is this any different from a ledgehopped aerial?
hmm, well it seems faster (if ne1 can give this thread solif info on that would appreciated)
and seems to leave u with a few invincibilty frames as u begin ure jump,(evidence here as well?) and if u get interupted u keep ure, 2nd jump, unlike the ledgehop. :) so yea it serevs the same purpose but, being able to both is a gd thing right ?

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
If you look in the Fox threads there is an article about shining straight from the ledge. Also using a counter coming off the ledge with Ike is a terrible move. This is due to the fact that his counter is extremely slow therefore if your opponent is waiting with a smash, a counter will just get you punished and not register in time (although Marth's counter is faster so it might work).
k ill prob take that out of the 1st post thing, like i said i havent used them too much in practise :) but does it prove useful using it as an edgeguard to other players attacking recovories?

Ørion

Smash Ace
K, I kind of see what you're saying now. BTW, please don't double/triple post, people get mad and it could get you ban point things, I would just edit your new post to include what you need.

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
lol sorry :) thanks for that, seems logical but it didn't occur to me to edit at the time :S lol, this is the only forum ive been on... ever... newa, seems as though most people know bout this property of brawl neway.. meh.

J18

Smash Journeyman
sonic has fair out of the jump that is extremely useful for an unsuspecting opponent.
and i have no clue how, but i did the jump thing out of the ledge with sonic, and here's the cool part. somehow i turned around using my second jump, but i didn't go any higher then the initial jump (with aerial cancel) and was able to do a back air just like i would be able to do a forward air. unfortunately i was too stupid to save the replay, so i have no clue how i did it. i'm going to try to recreate it though.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, guys, if YOU READ WGAT HE'S SAYING, it's clear he isn't talking about ledge-dropped aerials. seriously, why can't people read. He's saying that unlike melee, where after you jumped off the ledge you had a fair amount of lag before you could act (except for a few chars like dr. mario), you can perform an aerial almost immediately after jumping (not by dropping, but just hitting x,y, or up frm the ledge), which is faster than ledge-dropping to an aerial.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've gotten the impression that things can be done out of ledge jumps much sooner than in Melee, but I didn't know how soon. Nice find.

nukethemall73

Smash Cadet
i have yet to try it, but toon link could potentially use this as an edge guard in a big way. this works for his Dair, and his Dair spikes people off the ledge, so with the auto sweetspot mechanism of brawl, if someone B-ups while youre on the ledge to hit you off, you might be able to do this "edge hop cancel attack" thing to Dair them off the ledge, cos the beauty of it is that he can be in line with hitting the stage and still spike people off, so doesnt need to be directly above them. but maybe their invincibilty frames would save their stock... will have to test it

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yea bro... this is just the ledge cancels the momentum after using an arial with stuff like links Dair

the great jonzales

Smash Cadet
i have yet to try it, but toon link could potentially use this as an edge guard in a big way. this works for his Dair, and his Dair spikes people off the ledge, so with the auto sweetspot mechanism of brawl, if someone B-ups while youre on the ledge to hit you off, you might be able to do this "edge hop cancel attack" thing to Dair them off the ledge, cos the beauty of it is that he can be in line with hitting the stage and still spike people off, so doesnt need to be directly above them. but maybe their invincibilty frames would save their stock... will have to test it
yer, but u'd have to DI away from ledeg first as the jump sends u forward, i'd say it insanely useful for edgeguarding with his Bairs :) which isn't gd for me... lol

Top Bottom