• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to smash boards - Few videos I've made.

Zapdos354

Smash Rookie
I just started smash boards and I find it to be completely awesome. This site has tons of stuff to help me play better and I really like the SWF friend finder, that thing rocks. Anyways, me and my pal started making videos the other day and I was wondering if people could critique us maybe? Theres only two friends I have that brawl with me a lot and we are all around the same level of skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6TXrzDDcs marth v lucas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gws5PDejRl4 marth v diddy k.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQHKWTCoY4 marth v pkmn tr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c73Hysmlrh0 marth v lucas #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-2rtjgzB0 marth v falco

I play as marth and my buddie's main is lucas but he usually plays on random cause he's pretty skilled with every character.
I have more videos to upload and I plan on making a lot more, with my other friend too (he plays a mean sonic) so anyways comments greatly appreciated =D

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Well, I watched your 1st video & you have much to learn. You came to the right place.

Marth:
-You don't seem to predict to well. You got hit by Lucas' Upsmash 5+ times..that's not good. Try and not to rush things such as your LH back on the stage. You could've LH'd in place for mindgames and nail him w/a LH Fair or something.
-Don't really use counter(Down B). I think, it worked once for you..it's not too worth it. I usually go w/no counters in a whole set.
-You also didn't punish him. He misses w/U-smash a few times & you didn't do anything. You could've tipped your Ftilt/Smash for a kill or good damage.
-SHFair more w/Marth, but space them. Otherwise, you'll get Shieldgrabbed.
-Use Over B a little more effectively..you kapt missing w/it. -I would personally say UpB out of shield @ higher percentages. You get 5(?)frames of invincibility, and should put that to good use. Also, always FF after UpB.
-You could shield grab more as well.
Sorry if this isn't *in depth*, but typing all of this on Wii is annoying so some of my stuff may be off.
P.S.- Go to Brawl character discussion and go to the Marth boards for full help!
Oh, and did I see a Wii Remote user!? If that's you or your friend and you wanna get better, use the GC controller. The C-stick is a marvelous thing.

Zapdos354

Smash Rookie
I don't fully understand all the acronyms and what not. But yeah I'm glad your helping me, its good to know where I stand 'cause this is like the first gauge of my skill thats been done. I'm checking out the marth forums and wow theres a lot of stuff that I need to learn. But the first video was the first one that we made and certainly does me no justice. I just up-loaded one of me against a wolf, I think this is one of the better videos we made that day. And yeah, my pal does use the wii-mote, I use the classic gc though, I'd better tell my friend that he should switch. Should I incorporate the c-stick more though? cause I don't really use it as it is.
anyways, heres the video of me and wolf, you'll see I'm a little better than the first one 'cause this was a lot later in the day and I was more warmed up and what not..

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Here are a handful of terms:
SH- Short Hop
DI- Directional Influence
LH- Ledge hop
Fair- Forward aerial
Bair- Back Aerial
Nair- Neutral aerial
Dair- Down aerial
Uair- Up aerial
FF- Fast fall
DD- Dash Dance
FT- Fox trot
F/U/Dtilt- Tilt attack
There's a thread somewhere, but I can't link things from the Wii. I would think it would be in General Brawl discussion or Tactics discussion.
*C-stick*
Use it to it's fullest. Your moves will come out faster and you can use aerial attacks faster.
Example: SH(short hop) Fair(Forward aerial) FF(fast fall*press down on Joystick*)
Plus, this helps w/spacing from your opponent.
While studying things from the Marth boards, watch how Marth players play. Also, don't be afraid to post some videos/ask questions in the Marth boards as well. If you do so, you'll get a lot more advice.
I don't see the Wolf video.

Zapdos354

Smash Rookie
yeah the video is still being verified or something on youtube, i've got to go now but i'll be back in like 3 hours and it'll be done by then for sure and i'll post it, however if you don't want to wait just go to http://www.youtube.com/zapdos354/ thats me and it should be there soon. My playing style is really move around a lot in the air and i dono if this is good or bad but I notice that I really short jump backwards a lot then move fowards.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Wow, pretty nice playstyle.

We should play sometime.

Like Creo stated, you do need to work on predicting. Ya, it's kind of a odd statement, but stand still more often. Like, if he's coming at you, just go for a shield grab, like in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBt2I4OuTug

See how Zelda blocked Falcon's attack and grabbed him? It's very useful. I'm not saying your stupid or anything by how I explained that, but it can lead to victory A LOT easier than you think.

Or, dash at him, then hit your shield. He might try to hit you, which may lead him vulnerable, and if he spot dodges, just wait for him to finish the animation, then grab.

Zapdos354

Smash Rookie
Ok, here it is the video of me and my pal as wolf, i think it shows more of how well I can perform and stuff, but yeah that sheild grab stuff does wonders, I do try to do it a lot, but I dono, I think I need to work on my defense more than my offense maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT3MwLxfoJ8

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Like Creo stated, you do need to work on predicting. Ya, it's kind of a odd statement, but stand still more often. Like, if he's coming at you, just go for a shield grab, like in this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBt2I4OuTug
See how Zelda blocked Falcon's attack and grabbed him?

Or, dash at him, then hit your shield. He might try to hit you, which may lead him vulnerable, and if he spot dodges, just wait for him to finish the animation, then grab.
Normally, I wouldn't say this but why the irrelevance Ethan? If you don't understand, forget about it.
-Standing still like Ethan did isn't that great of a strategy..it is VERY easy to predict. If someone generally rushes you though, Shield grab is a good option(usually on aerials).

-Depending on the character, Marth could play defense and offense..Balance them out.

-To prevent getting shield grabbed, use moves like Dtilt, Ftilt, spaced Fairs, etc.
-Don't always run w/Marth. Walk more with him because you could go straight into tilts(ranged attacks) whereas running, you can't. Don't abandon running though.

I think you should get Ethans friend code and face him though. Your around each others skill level and facing against new people will get you better. Try and get some diversity against your players. It's better determining then just fighting 1 person.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I didn't really mean stand still forever. Just like if someone is rushing at you out of the blue, you should sometimes go for the shield grab, and sometimes do whatever you feel is best.

Believe me, I am NO teacher, I have plenty to work on myself.

And good idea Creo. ALL of us should play sometime. I'm sure I would lose to you both, though. :)

Zapdos354

Smash Rookie
Ok, I've been reading up a lot more and learning about marth and some other techniques that I want to test in real matches, but yeah I added my brawl code to my pofile, so go ahead and add me.
I've added you guys.
=D

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Ok, I've been reading up a lot more and learning about marth and some other techniques that I want to test in real matches, but yeah I added my brawl code to my pofile, so go ahead and add me.
I've added you guys.
=D
The thing is, my online is REALLY laggy so I suggest you delete my stuff for now. If I get better online and your still around posting, I'll add you! ^_^

Zapdos354

Smash Rookie
The thing is, my online is REALLY laggy so I suggest you delete my stuff for now. If I get better online and your still around posting, I'll add you! ^_^
Will do.
Well then, thanks for your help, I'm gonna be practicing a lot more and trying out a few techniques that I think will really help me. I'll probably post some more videos here too when I feel like I've improved enough to show it. But that might not be for a while.
Thanks again =D

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
However, I'll be happy to play you anytime you want. Of course, I need to have a heads up.

Then we can post them here, and Creo can help out.

Sound good?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Okay, well, when you get online, PM me. Then Just setup to record as we fight. I can record too, but I only have a 128MB SD card, so I can only record like 2 min and 40 secs.

But I will get a better one most likely today.

Top Bottom