• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to MARIO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
Ive been lurking around these boards for like, idk since the game came out LOL, never bothered to register : ) cause i'm soo coool LOL, so through out the time i played a bunch of characters, some got good , some just failed

list of characters i can play well : D
Falco!!
Diddy!!

list of chars i can play well, but wont win all the time
Lucario, Lucas, Pikachu, PT, Olimar, Jiggly :3<< too cool

Well i'm thinking of getting a new mainish maybe secondary, so yea XD ive been playing mario lately, found some awesome videos, guess i'm doing well, however i have a few questions.

Who is Mario bad against?
I'm having troubles gimping in general, tips? videos?
i have this problem when i get the oppenent to 150%, i should be able kill them earlier than that right?

How do you set up for a gimp? cause when ever i hit them off the stage
they are far too high, probabl high percent,

and anyother advice would help: ), mario is really fun to use LOL

blasting those fireballs ftw : )

FrankPizzi

Smash Apprentice
Mario's is bad against DDD... that's probably his hardest match up besides G&W and MK( mostly everyone..) Fully charged Fludd + cape can work, fire balls are good aswell. As for Koing his best Ko move is F-smash, which can be stutter steped for extra range... Up smahs is a good Ko aswell vs lighter characters such as G&W/MK. http://www.youtube.com/user/mariofamous <---------- here you go, have a look at this Mario, look at how he plays. ( STEAL HIS CAPE).

Veggi

Smash Champion
Mario's bad matchups are Dedede because he can psuedo infinite Mario if you can't break out between two grab attacks. Marth is bad because of all his speedy disjointed range that cancels fireball approaches easily, he can stop other approaches as well. Metaknight is bad for the same reasons Marth is pretty much, but I have more trouble with Marth.

For gimping, shoot fireballs when they are far away because fireballs will cancel jumps and travel downwards, they also bait up b's. Caping someone at near the same time a fireball hits is an easier way to get a gimp. If someone is floating down in an air cripple state, use FLUDD to push them away. If someone has a recovery that is pure vertical (Ike's up b) or pure horizontal (Falco's side b), using FLUDD on it will help a lot. It cancels horizontal momentum and pushes vertical momentum too far away from the edge to sweet spot. FLUDD can eat jumps and projectiles. FLUDD Ness when he uses his PK Thunder and he will just die, it's hilarious to watch. Most gimps are completely based off of experience with the opponent, but remember that Mario's aerials have horizontal knock back and nair has a lingering hitbox, so it's good to use. If you mess up a gimp, a lot of times you have at least put them in a bad position on stage.

Set up kills by FLUDD'ing an opponent's aerial attack to make it lag as they try to push through the water and then kill them with a correctly positioned attack (usually up smash). You can also set up kills by shooting a fireball and then trying to make it so that both your smash attack and fireball connect at near the same time. Pivot smash gives Mario what he needs: range and power. To pivot smash, you have to fsmash in the opposite direction you are facing. To use this while facing torward the opponent, tap back and then c-stick in the direction of your opponent. If you do it fast enough, you can barely tell Mario moved around. Up angled fsmash kills earlier and Mario's fsmash sweetspots where the fire is. So a pivot up angled sweetspotted forward smash is a scary tool to have in your arsenal.

Up smash has good priority and is good at kill opponent's above you. Down smash is very fast (5 frames) and hits in the front and back.

Mario is basically the tool box character of Smash Bros., he's a fun character to use and good luck on maining him.

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
haha thanks for the info : ), guess its back to practise for me LOL, one more thing!! does the jab downsmash or jab grab work on like humans LOL cause computers usually shield it or like dodge roll away, but ive seen in videso people doing that o.o. hmm LOL how should i play my mario? like the metastyle?

Matt07

Smash Master
Jab to dsmash is blockable, jab to grab is avoidable but it's difficult for humans to do. Computers in Brawl can like Powershield/Tech mostly anything you throw at them.

Mario's playstyle depends on the character your fighting. Like if you watch a Mario fight Peach compared to say, Snake you'll notice a difference. Mario is very flexible in his playstyle.

FrankPizzi

Smash Apprentice
Yes, jab down smash does work, and jab grab. But don't spam it, or you'll get predictable, and get punished for it. There's many more follow ups after jab, though. Since you're probably new it be good to get practice vs humans, for the love of god don't fight computers it's horrid, what I usually do is set a Cpu to lvl 3 just to practice my spacing. Go on www.Allisbrawl.com, register, go to the chat, choose which one you wana go in, the best would be "Free play", and ask people to brawl. That being said, read guides, train in training mode( you gotta learn to have complete control of Mario), watch matches, and test things you learn on humans.

FrankPizzi

Smash Apprentice
Another thing, I forgot to mention. You'll probably main Mario when you start getting better with him, because he's way to much fun.

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
LOL
i'm training with like lvl 8 comps, lvl 9 is a PISS of when it comes to shield and grabs >_>.
okay good LOL cause i don't know if i should use it on human players, since it doesn't work that well wit computer players: )

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hey man, thanks for joining the boards. We don't allow introduction threads outside of the Meet and Greet section of our forums, and all of your questions have been answered by other members, so this thread has no purpose anymore. Glad to have you, though.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom