• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Fox

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
Hey, so my friend and I play falco ditto's a lot and he usually beats me. I switched to fox and he hasn't beaten me yet, so I'm staying with the switch :). My other friend, however plays sheik and is better than me and my falco friend. He usually wins because he can combo so well with her dash attacks, f-tilts, and grabs into fairs or or smash attacks. He also needle's my fire fox when recovering, but that is not as big of a deal now that I switched to fox because it goes so much farther. I also seem to have trouble approaching, it seems like whenever I attack him with either a short hopped aerial or a dash attack or f-smash he shields the attack and then grabs, and whenever i try to grab him he just dash attacks me.

Should I just never approach and camp with my lazers? Also when is it best to shield instead of spot dodging? Any help would be great, sorry I can't put up vids because I don't have any equipment.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
honestly, this isn't very specific.

fox has stupid shine combos on shiek

aerial waveshine grab
/upsmash

use platforms to get around needles on stage

dont really attack her shield unless you're confident (even then :urg:) you can land a hit or a grab

i dunno dude

AIM

Savingforever

Smash Cadet
yea i agree with Bunglefever... not alot of information to go off of.. but yea fox kills shiek on stage.. his shine combo's kill sheik... yea if you can just upload some vids eventually, it would be a lot more helpful to see wat ur doing wrong.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Shiek generally has a very effective wallish defense, but camping forces her to give up her position.

When she approaches, you can CC her till 40%, CCCs are usually a CC shine -> WD combo, CC grab -> u-air, and lots of other stuff.

At killing percents you have many ways to finish her off. Drillshine gives you an upsmash or grab -> u-air, you can knock her off and force her to UpB onstage and ledgehop u-air or usmash her.

If you feel like she isn't spacing her attacks very well, you can always shieldgrab her and get a few u-airs in or usmash OoS. But it certainly depends on what shes doing to your shield.

Lots of ways to deal with Shiek. Fox certainly has it made in the MU, just don't get knocked over and tekchased to death.

Kind of just general info, a vid would really help see where you're at.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
Alright, i'll see if I can video some footage.

what is the easiest way to waveshine? I always use x to jump but i don't react fast enough to move my finger from b to x during the few frames.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
The easiest way is whatever you find easiest. You'll have to be fast no matter what you do; I personally do Y and R, but you'll find people who do every possible combination. Some even use the control stick.

As for how to beat Sheik, for you, the easiest thing to do would be to grab more I believe. If he tries to shield just grab the shield, don't attack it, chances are you aren't fast enough to not get shield grabbed yet. Learn to jump cancel a grab (literally jump right before doing the grab; you can find more info on it around the boards) and learn to control your character's dash.

Shielding is better than spot dodging pretty much any time you aren't gonna get grabbed for it.

Whenever she runs in for a dash attack, shield it and grab her. Also learn to up throw -> up air. It's a bread and butter Fox combo and is really easy to do. The simplest way for most people is to up throw, jump with X or Y, and then if you need to jump again use the control stick + A. Otherwise you can use the C stick if you can't hit up without jumping yet. Just practice this on level 1 Links/Marths/Peaches/etc a lot and you'll eventually get it down and suddenly be like 10 times better XD

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Using Y to jump is the technically most efficient way to waveshine since it is closer to B.

Anyways, work on doing it right, don't worry about speed.

Just shine and take as long as you need to WD. You can cancel the shine anytime (well not exactly, but that's not the point,) so you can shine and even take a few seconds to focus on your WD from the shine.

Eventually you get faster.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
press b and slide your thumb over a to get to x
a does nothing while in the shine so it kinda ignores the a input and you pressed x

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Well, since you're new to Fox, I would suggest getting used to Y.

Double lasering is optimal with Y, I've known some people who had to retrain themselves to use Y in order to do some of Fox's fancier tricks.

X/Y doesn't matter that much with other characters, but Y certainly holds a clear advantage if you're playing Fox.

Animal

Smash Lord
upsmash out of shield after sheik dashes. Its usually pretty predictable

Top Bottom