• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to competitive smash: want to main snake

Bendysex

Smash Rookie
I am new to competitive smash. I didn't know what wave dash was until a week ago.

i didn't own melee or a gamecube, so i didn't play a lot and wasn't great.

since then, however, i got tips from friends that are pretty good and stopped spamming my b moves. now i use a lot of smash attacks and dodge/block a lot, but i know it's all really basic.

i just found this board tonight and plan to learn some of the general techniques from the sticky tomorrow.

I have two questions:

1. how do i meteor smash?
2. how should i play snake? what should my tactic be and what should someone like me know?

also, try to use non-community lingo please. i don't know some of it, though most of it is simple to figure out.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
1. Snake's Forward Air is a meteor smash if you land it on the heel of the Axe Kick. A variety of characters have Meteors, but some are under various circumstances ex: Snake's is slow and needs to be a heel hit

2. Snake is about control and keeping your opponent guessing. Use his Down B and Down Smash (Remote and Motion Sensor mines) to keep your enemy in a limited area, use Gernades when they get close so you can shield drop it and walk away, your kill moves wont be smashes but the Up Smash is a great defensive technique. If you wanna go for kills your best bets are the Forward Tilt AA hit and the Up Aerial for the air. Try to stay out of the air though, Snake's air techniques have relatively low prioritys from what I see.

That's the bare bones of how to play, now just wait for Crom or Psycho ****** to elaborate on my descriptions.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
1. Snake's Forward Air is a meteor smash if you land it on the heel of the Axe Kick. A variety of characters have Meteors, but some are under various circumstances ex: Snake's is slow and needs to be a heel hit

2. Snake is about control and keeping your opponent guessing. Use his Down B and Down Smash (Remote and Motion Sensor mines) to keep your enemy in a limited area, use Gernades when they get close so you can shield drop it and walk away, your kill moves wont be smashes but the Up Smash is a great defensive technique. If you wanna go for kills your best bets are the Forward Tilt AA hit and the Up Aerial for the air. Try to stay out of the air though, Snake's air techniques have relatively low prioritys from what I see.

That's the bare bones of how to play, now just wait for Crom or Psycho ****** to elaborate on my descriptions.
Here I am! lol

I'd say grenade play is key to becoming a really good snake. Having a feel for how long you have until a grenade is going to blow up is incredibly useful, it allows you to "cook" (hold a grenade as the timer on it counts down, which is about 5-6 seconds by the way) and throw it at them right before it explodes. The reason for this is unlike links bombs it doesn't explode when you throw it at someone but it does explode if your enemy attacks it.

Most of your game will be on the ground, almost all of Snake's aerials are incredibly laggy (Forward Air, Down Air, Neutral Air, and Back Air) if you land before they are completely finished. You will most likely be racking up damage with Forward Tilts and Jab combos. Uptilt is probably your best killer because it's range is incredibly decieving and it kills at low percents as long as you're not spamming it.

Snake is a character that requires a lot of thought to be played right, you have to plan out what you're going to do. You basically want to control the battlefield and force your enemy to move where you want them to... or spam Forward tilt ( just kidding lol but not really... )

I guess that's the basics, although I'm pretty sure I'm leaving out some stuff that should help you get starting on maining Snake.

Also everything Jeff Highwind said is spot on, except I'm not too sure about his aerials having little priority...

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Dude, Dedede smacked me with a Usmash when I was doing a Dair. I got bopped by a penguin. :<

Oh yea i forgot one thing, Nikita is a lovely tool to add pressure when your opponent is launched by one of your ground moves. If it connects free KO, if they take the time to avoid it cancel it with the Shield button and set up for somthing else.

B1ah

Smash Rookie
The grenade lasts exactly 4 seconds, I got a clock and I don't even have to time it as I can hear the tic tocs, very useful, sometimes I use them right and it feels good, you can time one, throw the other one at around the time it explodes, if they dodge the first one to the side the other one is on they will get hit, spamming them has helped me tremendously as well, I don't if I'm just lucky but it has saved my *** SO MANU times is not even funny, you can also set a c4, a ground mine fire mortals and throw nades to create your own fortress of fun, if they get close I just prone kick them, the fortress thing may not be very viable but **** is fun!

Also that dash kick thing where you roll you fire mortals is good and can be charged, If the opponent is at a high % charing it can be a good idea since they don't expect it.

Also when you grab you may be able to add an addition 20 damage, strangle the opponent by pressing A or else he will fly to the upper right(well it happens less often if you are strangling the crap out of him) as soon as he gets released press side+A to hit him.. Stand A doesn't reach kid link =(

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Um, I don't think it's exactly 4 seconds. In fact I'm sure it's not. I count to 4 in my head (silly, I know, but it works) and then toss it from afar. By the time it gets there it usually explodes on contact or else half a second after it makes contact. So I estimate 5-6 secs as ****** said.

As for other misc stuff...advantage of the shelter that platforms provide you and use his projectiles while you're safe under it. Fend them off with your mortar/tilts. Mortar is also a pretty useful edgeguard if you're that close and rather not leave yourself vulnerable using a nikita. Time a fully charged upsmash and a normal one right after and it always makes your opponent hesitate upon recovery, and hesitation can allow for openings or mistakes to capitalize on. (I can't tell you how many times I've shield grabbed someone as they recovered at high damage, then just held them with the grab attack till the mortar plummeted in their face >: D)

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Snake's aerials have high priority, but dair is a bit of the exception. Only the last hit has any worth of priority, but the dair's kinda situational, so don't worry about it too much.

Another thing, Snake's bair is kinda like a sex kick, but in the same sense, it's like the worst sex kick ever. The hitbox doesn't last, the priority after the initial stretch sucks, but the hitbox stays out, and Snake's whole body is like a hitbox. Just something interesting to note.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Thanks guys!

what's a sex kick?
A sex kick is what people called most neutral aerial attacks in super smash bros melee. They were the attacks where the character would stick out their foot and just hold that position, so you could basically just fly into your opponent while holding out a kick. Kinda like a flying karate kick... from movies or something.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
whoever thinks its not 4 seconds is wrong. grenades have 4 seconds in smash, and also in real life. psycho ******'s 5-6 seconds was a guess, dont go with it just because hes psycho ******. hi psycho ****** : )

spikes are seriously nerfed in brawl. snake's spike sucks. too much startup lag, hard to hit.

snake might be a good choice for a noob like you if youre smart. his best moves are AAA, forward tilt and projectiles. dont use forward smash though, thats one thing i think you'll use too much.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
lol@bmanin2008. snakes bair is amazing.

good edgeguard, good for retreating/spacing. it can kill. the only aerial that you can short hop (yeah uair but why would you ever short hop it). its the only move that you can hit someone below you with. if you survive an upwards hit and you dont bair, your only choice is airdodging and hoping you hit the ground safely. not to say that airdodging is better.. it is. just know when to use a bair instead.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman

1) It's "bman in 2288."

2) I never said it wasn't amazing. I just said it's the worst sex kick ever. That doesn't make it any less awesome. It just has the properties of a sex kick, which in turn makes it the worst sex kick ever. Initial hit is too good. Rest of the time, blegh.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
whoever thinks its not 4 seconds is wrong. grenades have 4 seconds in smash, and also in real life. psycho ******'s 5-6 seconds was a guess, dont go with it just because hes psycho ******. hi psycho ****** : )
Meh, I don't "go with it" because he said that, I do it from my experience.

I said 5-6 secs from my own experience because, again silly as it is, when I first tried Snake I timed it in my head, and found a good method was to count to "4-mississippi" in my mind before throwing it, and it certainly does not explode right at 4-mississipi. That or I'm saying mississippi too fast....dunno.

But yea that's a good trick if you want some sort of solid method to cooking nades. Count in your head.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Ok, Snake can be played a number of ways, and I know this is cliche but the best way to use him is to make use of all the weapons you have at your disposal. Different people develop different methods and tactics, and if you practice enough, you will develop your own.

His weapons allow for medium range, close range AND long range game. Just play and see what works for you and what doesn't.

B1ah

Smash Rookie
Ok so far Im trying playing without doing the shiled drop nade thing, It seems without that I'm worse than before and dying a lot more because the opponents don't need to be as careful when approaching me and vice versa, the grenade block thing is not as reliable as id hope either. The smash forward seems pretty good for edge guarding some opponents. Anyways back to practicing snake, hes **** fun, I was getting bored of smash until I got a hold of snake, samus seems like a good substitute

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Meh, I say don't even bother with fsmash. Snake has quicker, more reliable physical KO moves. (Virtually everything else lol).

Top Bottom