• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*New Technique* Quick Attack Upwards Twice

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
Can this be done in Project M? Sorry if the same comment is posted twice, my computer was acting up.

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
Many of you know that Pikachu CAN, in fact, go upwards twice with his up-b. Thanks to the motivation of a various people, I have decided to look into the exact inputs to make this work. Sadly, I do not have Action Replay, so I was very limited to the amount of research I could do. I hope that someone that has AR will look further into this. Until then, these are the best results that I could come up with.

It is now known that Pikachu (along with a few other characters) can change the direction they face when they up-b strait upwards. In order to do that, you just need to input your up-b, then while your character is in the startup animation, you must lightly tilt the control stick in the opposite direction of which you are facing. This tilt must be light enough so that you do not up-b horizontally. Instead, you will still travel strait up, but end up facing the opposite direction. This can be done from the ground or while airborne. Now, the reason why knowing that is somewhat important is because you will need to tilt your control stick the same amount in order to go upwards twice.

To go up twice, start your up-b. Now, during the 22nd or the 23rd frame of your up-b, you must input that slight tilt on your control stick either LEFT, RIGHT, or DOWN. That's it! Only ONE input is needed to go upwards twice after pressing up-b. Left and Right, however, yield slightly different results than Down does. How you might ask?

If you go up twice by tilting left on the 22nd or 23rd frame, Pikachu will turn left during the second zip of his quick attack. That means, if you start off facing right, you will end up facing left. This is absolutely incredible for being able to grab the edge. If you start off facing left, you will still end up facing left. If you go up twice by tilting Right instead, then Pikachu will end up facing right. I think you get the idea.

If you use down though, then Pikachu will simply go upwards twice without changing any direction at all. Which means, if you start off facing left then perform this technique, you will still be facing left after the second zip. For some reason, Up would NEVER work for me. I tried for a very long time, but slightly tilting Up never resulted in the double up-b.

Now here's a question many of you might ask: How do you know what the 22nd and 23rd frames look like? Well, when Pikachu performs his quick attack, he will leave these star-like things behind him. They're very noticeable. I can't really describe them other than saying they're just these white stars that have somewhat yellowish circles around them. You should know what I'm talking about. Well, when Pikachu is on the 22nd frame of his up-b, he will have a trail of 6 stars below him, and his body will be VERY vertically stretched out. During his 23rd frame, he will only have a trail of 4 stars below him, and his body will be vertically elongated, but not as much as on frame 22. So, if you input the directional tilt while he has 6-4 stars, you will hopefully get the result of Pikachu going up a second time.

If this helps, here is a video showing every frame of Pikachu's Quick Attack (along with every other move, for that matter):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWAEr5fsXCc#t=2m57s

Further investigation still needs to be made for this technique though. I could not practice this frame-by-frame, and it took me countless hours to get these results. If someone has AR, please look into this further. Until then, these are the conclusions that I have made.

VIDEO: (Thank you, V3ctorman)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUrKbyyJWas
The first part of this video shows Pikachu/Pichu changing directions during the first zip of their up-b. The second part shows going upwards twice with their up-b. The third part shows them going upwards twice while changing directions during the second zip. Enjoy :)
I found out yesterday that you can do this in smash 3DS (at least in the demo).

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
I did this on accident last night, but it was sideways. I freaked out when I did it. Totally awesome.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Keep on accidentally doing hard tech like this and you'll accidentally make it to the top 8 at Evo.
Pikachu isn't even one of my secondaries, I just play as Pikachu when I want to try something different. Strange how almost every time I play as Pikachu (which is almost never) I do this tech.

Top Bottom