• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Strategies

Gearhead31

Smash Rookie
Idk why but it seems so much harder to pull of new combos and such. The only fast ones ar repeatedly pressing A as they are fast and foe can barely escape..got any ideas?

Fastest

Smash Ace
Idk why but it seems so much harder to pull of new combos and such. The only fast ones ar repeatedly pressing A as they are fast and foe can barely escape..got any ideas?
You fail at posting intelligently.

There are no more combos. You can escape virtually anything. Welcome to the worst smash game ever made.

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
There are combos ... you just have to put more thought into it. I guess since there aren't as many auto-combos then this is the worst smash game ever then right..? [Sarcasm]

Smashers will never stop whining..*sigh*

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Hey I'm not whining. I love this game. :)

Maybe you should learn to think if you can't combo anymore.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Combo: Guaranteed sequence of moves.

There are very few guaranteed follow-ups. If you children think otherwise then you're fighting terrible people. I realize a lot of you may think that such things exist, but seeing as most of you have only been playing the game for a few days, you really have no place to understand.

Ask anyone who's had the game since the Japanese release: Nothing is Guaranteed.

This is entirely different from melee or 64.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Combo: Guaranteed sequence of moves.

There are very few guaranteed follow-ups. If you children think otherwise then you're fighting terrible people. I realize a lot of you may think that such things exist, but seeing as most of you have only been playing the game for a few days, you really have no place to understand.

Ask anyone who's had the game since the Japanese release: Nothing is Guaranteed.

This is entirely different from melee or 64.
Actually, I know very well what combos are, and this game has tons of them. starting from luigi's millions of Uairs,Fairs and Bairs, Marth's Fairs and Nairs,R.O.B's Fairs, Toon Link's Bairs, Luigi's Utilt, Shiek's Utilts, etc' there are too many to state this easily.

yes, these are fool, long, inescapable combos for specific percentages and weights, and there are millions of them in brawl, you just need to Learn them and do them properly. some of them might require spamming your move to reduce it's knockback, but it doesn't make them any less usefull.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Actually, I know very well what combos are, and this game has tons of them. starting from luigi's millions of Uairs,Fairs and Bairs, Marth's Fairs and Nairs,R.O.B's Fairs, Toon Link's Bairs, Luigi's Utilt, Shiek's Utilts, etc' there are too many to state this easily.

yes, these are fool, long, inescapable combos for specific percentages and weights, and there are millions of them in brawl, you just need to Learn them and do them properly. some of them might require spamming your move to reduce it's knockback, but it doesn't make them any less usefull.
I'd love to fight you then. Show me these guaranteed combos. The only guarantee is that I'll avoid each and every one.

It all stems from two words: Air Dodge.

The new air dodge is absolutely ridiculous. If your friends are getting juggled with multiple aerial moves, then they're simply terrible.

You have no idea who you're dealing with. *sigh*

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I'd love to fight you then. Show me these guaranteed ecombos. The only guarantee is that I'll avoid each and every one.

It all stems from two words: Air Dodge.

The new air dodge is absolutely ridiculous. If your friends are getting juggled with multiple aerial moves, then they're simply terrible.

You have no idea who you're dealing with. *sigh*
Neither do you, I'm the manager and ranked #2 and #4 respectively in the community in israel, and also twice ranked #13 in the kariya tournament in Japan, and also aquainted with many american and Japanese brawlers and Smashers, and who might you be dear sir?

the air dodge is good for avoiding the first hit, but if you didn't avoid that, hit stun from moves like those mentioned in my earlier post is quite enough to continually juggle the opponent if used correctly. you can even push someone out of the stage by a series of 6-7 Fairs if timed properly, and the window for air dodging only starts appearing on the later ones, and is very hard to catch.

I promise you that if I ever play you without lag, I'll combo you just like I comboed Mach Dash,Masashi,Ikki etc' with my peach in SSBM. not that I'm saying I'm as freakishly good as they are, but I am very good and can take them all to the last stock and give them a proper fight.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Neither do you, I'm the manager and ranked #2 and #4 respectively in the community in israel, and also twice ranked #13 in the kariya tournament in Japan, and also aquainted with many american and Japanese brawlers and Smashers, and who might you be dear sir?

the air dodge is good for avoiding the first hit, but if you didn't avoid that, hit stun from moves like those mentioned in my earlier post is quite enough to continually juggle the opponent if used correctly. you can even push someone out of the stage by a series of 6-7 Fairs if timed properly, and the window for air dodging only starts appearing on the later ones, and is very hard to catch.

I promise you that if I ever play you without lag, I'll combo you just like I comboed Mach Dash,Masashi,Ikki etc' with my peach in SSBM. not that I'm saying I'm as freakishly good as they are, but I am very good and can take them all to the last stock and give them a proper fight.
My dearest apologies! I had no clue that you were a no-name smasher from the other side of the planet!

You're fighting scrubs- plain and simple. Link a video of said "combo" so I can rip it apart.

Congrats on your signature by the way: "Ranked #4 by the pre-release Israeli JPN Brawl tournament." It must have taken some effort to rank 4th place in that HIGHLY COMPETITIVE tournament! You're making a huge joke out of yourself... that's like saying "I'm the 4th best smasher in Madagascar!" This game is turning out just how i predicted:

1) Good players will leave upon realizing that Brawl is fun, but not a good competitive game.
2) Noobs will rush in to take the empty throne.
3) One noob will reign supreme and feel superior as the alpha-minus male: someone who feels good about themselves because they're good at something that nobody else cares to bother with.

Fastest

Smash Ace
OLOLlololol I forgot one more thing:

"The Manager of the Israeli smash community"

BAWHWHHhqhhahahahahahahahaa.

HAY GUYS I CAN HAS MANAGER OF THE WISCONSIN COMMUNITY BECAUSE I SAY SO.

Manager?

MANAGER??!! Wtf?

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
dude, just stop fapping and go away
I'm glad you hate brawl

I'm sure you're both ****x8 amazing at melee or whatever

if you don't like the game don't play it. It's seriously fine. Just let people who DO want to play do their own thing. Unless you can't get sleep if you think someone is *gasp* WRONG on the INTERNET. In which case your sleeping disorder takes precedence over anyone else's need for intelligent non-****wagging discussion. In that case, by all means, ****wag away.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
:S When people on GameFAQs go "lol Smashboards, elitists", I think this is what they're referring to.

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
when people on gameFAQS go anything it usually ends in "which is REALLY just a glitch ANYWAY" so I tend to disregard their opinions. But i think Fastest might actually be a glitch. More testing is needed.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
From my limited experience with players who are actually technically good (I am the best player I know personally so far) it seems that this game is more strategy based than combo based. Since dodging is so insane you have to be unpredictable in order to score combos. Each character (from my experience) has a large enough move set to change things up whenever needed. Psyching people out is also important if you are not playing a character fast enough to continue a combo before they can pull off a dodge.

MrSquinshee

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the worst smash game ever made.
Was your intention to piss everyone off when writing that here? This is an opinion twisted into a fact. Never do this unless you're trying to anger everyone. And I'm pretty sure you were. Why are you even on this board if you hate the game so passionately? I also think it's pretty ironic that you're calling someone else an elitist.

I'm not saying I'm disagreeing with you (air dodging indeed gets you out of any possible 'combo' in the game...at the moment), I'm simply confused as to why you even posted here.

Unless you're a troll.

PerpetualDusk

Smash Rookie
Dear Fastest,
When I joined Smashboards, I pretty much only did so so I could have access to the entirety of the forum's information and wealth of other player's experience; I never planned on posting. This, my first post, is to you, as I just couldn't resist responding to your mind-numbing arrogance.

You say a combo is a "guaranteed" sequence of moves, and that Brawl is terrible because it's lacking in this feature. Now, I can't argue to whether or not combos are present, as I do not own the game, but that's a moot point anyways as the entire notion of berating a game for taking out an aspect of it that's "guaranteed" is, in short, stupid. Let me put this in simpler terms that you may find easier to grasp:
Stragtegy? OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taking out something that's guaranteed isn't bad. It forces the player to adapt as the battle progresses, as opposed to going into the battle with a planned attack sequence. Smash is a fighting game, it's not an army tactics game. Granted, having some things planned and mastered is obviously important, but the entirety of the game shouldn't be reduced to that. The experience is supposed to be dynamic, and to a degree, chaotic, and the people who made Brawl realized that and made the necessary changes to Smash. Why do you think the extended move decay to knock back? Because they wanted players to explore their characters more fully, force them to switch attacks and approaches, and just generally make the game a more full experience.
Consider other competitive fields. Do you think in boxing the contenders enter the ring thinking "OK, three jabs, followed by an uppercut, then two hooks and after three minutes of that he should be hurt enough to do my hook-uppercut finisher!" No. They have to practice and learn to utilize every ability and attack they have and learn how to know what to use when. There are no guarantees.
Now Brawl is like that. Quit whining.

Fastest

Smash Ace
Dear Fastest,
When I joined Smashboards, I pretty much only did so so I could have access to the entirety of the forum's information and wealth of other player's experience; I never planned on posting. This, my first post, is to you, as I just couldn't resist responding to your mind-numbing arrogance.

You say a combo is a "guaranteed" sequence of moves, and that Brawl is terrible because it's lacking in this feature. Now, I can't argue to whether or not combos are present, as I do not own the game, but that's a moot point anyways as the entire notion of berating a game for taking out an aspect of it that's "guaranteed" is, in short, stupid. Let me put this in simpler terms that you may find easier to grasp:
Stragtegy? OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taking out something that's guaranteed isn't bad. It forces the player to adapt as the battle progresses, as opposed to going into the battle with a planned attack sequence. Smash is a fighting game, it's not an army tactics game. Granted, having some things planned and mastered is obviously important, but the entirety of the game shouldn't be reduced to that. The experience is supposed to be dynamic, and to a degree, chaotic, and the people who made Brawl realized that and made the necessary changes to Smash. Why do you think the extended move decay to knock back? Because they wanted players to explore their characters more fully, force them to switch attacks and approaches, and just generally make the game a more full experience.
Consider other competitive fields. Do you think in boxing the contenders enter the ring thinking "OK, three jabs, followed by an uppercut, then two hooks and after three minutes of that he should be hurt enough to do my hook-uppercut finisher!" No. They have to practice and learn to utilize every ability and attack they have and learn how to know what to use when. There are no guarantees.
Now Brawl is like that. Quit whining.
I'm not complaining because of the lack of combos- I'm merely correcting people who believe they've found one.

The game is bad because:

Unsafe Moves + Improved Shielding System - Hitstun - Shieldstun = Poke, Poke, Poke, Poke.

Very little moves offer very little to no advantage on successful hit. Combos aren't what matter- it's being able to press your advantage. Brawl returns both fighters to neutral too quickly by making defense and avoidance too strong.

Successful attacks garner little advantage outside of the damage they deal. Notwithstanding anything revolutionary being discovered, I guarantee that a few months from now, replays of top players will be extremely extremely boring.

Don't even get me started about tripping. Why do you think most stages and items are banned? To remove unnecessary randomness from an otherwise equal battle between mind and button pressing skills. You could say that it's not a big deal, but the fact that it exists will mean sometime, somewhere, a tournament match will be decided by it.

Everyone thinks "now we can focus on strategy with brawl!" Well guess what? That's what top-tier players did in melee. Speed is a relative thing. Once you learn melee, and the button pressing becomes second nature, things slow down. Unfortunately, it took a great deal of time and effort to get to that point... and I find it funny that it took a slower game for most people to realize how melee looks through a competitive person's eyes.

A defensive game is a slower game- both in mind and matter. Unfortunately for us smashers, speed is something that we've grown accustomed to. We live for it. I live for it. Look at my name for christ's sake. You may think it's fast- but consider this:

What does the 80 year old grandmother think of people, who go the speed limit, passing her on the highway?

"Gosh darn whippersnappers drive too fast!"

To her- she's driving just fine.

So unless anything revolutionary gets discovered. Have fun in the slow lane Granny.

pesticide

Smash Lord
jeez. why make threads like this? just to argue? to say that there are NO combos in brawl?

WE'VE HAD THE GAME FOR (AT THE MOST) 2 MONTHS! NEW STUFF WILL BE FOUND TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO COMBO BETTER!

goth

Smash Rookie
No matter how many arguents pass between people, noone is going to change their mind. Fastest is going to dislike brawl no matter what anyone says. Although i do disagree with him its his choice. I dont think that the bit about the speed is true. I mained fox throughout melee and everyone knows how fast he was, but i still like the pace and style of brawl. I dont like to copare them because they are two totally different games.........can i be the manager of ohio?

Fastest

Smash Ace
No matter how many arguents pass between people, noone is going to change their mind. Fastest is going to dislike brawl no matter what anyone says. Although i do disagree with him its his choice. I dont think that the bit about the speed is true. I mained fox throughout melee and everyone knows how fast he was, but i still like the pace and style of brawl. I dont like to copare them because they are two totally different games.........can i be the manager of ohio?
There's another problem you brought my attention to: Opinion.

Here's a fact: Melee is deeper than 64.

We can logically prove this via examples and game theory. The naysayers are far and few between. Those who disagree with this fact don't understand. However, A lot of you who agree with this statement would find difficulty believing...

Fact: Melee is deeper than Brawl.

OH GOD HE MADE A NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT BRAWL!

Don't delude yourselves into thinking Brawl is in the same realm as melee in terms of competitive gameplay. The facts are glaringly obvious and have nothing to do with opinion. I'm patient though... I'll give the community time to realize this- 6 months from now when they're asleep drooling at how boring the latest match between Ken and PC Chris was.

And yes, goth, you can be manager of Ohio. What the hell does a "manager" of smash a community do?!?

"I call this meeting to order... there are too many Fox mains in our community. I recommend a motion to recruit more Mewtwos!"

D

Deleted member

holy sh*t fastest is a bigger douchebag than aurashade, never saw that coming

and dont bother flaming me becuz im over with this topic

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Nah, I think Aurashade is more of a douchebag.

I kinda agree with SOME of the things Fastest is saying, like the dodging and stuff, but that Brawl is a fail, well, I'm confident that people will learn something new that will enhance Brawl competitively.

Why is tripping in the game? And how do you do it? I want to know how, so I can avoid it more often.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
OLOLlololol I forgot one more thing:

"The Manager of the Israeli smash community"

BAWHWHHhqhhahahahahahahahaa.

HAY GUYS I CAN HAS MANAGER OF THE WISCONSIN COMMUNITY BECAUSE I SAY SO.

Manager?

MANAGER??!! Wtf?

first of all, I see that you're an idiot trying to pick fights, so except making I will not bother answering your false stupidity.

I am the manager of the smash.vgame.co.il Vgames forum, as a "Community manager" I have one forum moderator under me, and am the main organizer of fests and tourneys in the community, which has held 23 tournaments and countless fests to the extent of handing out around 2000-3000$ in cash prizes.

I also run a database file for the rankings of all of these, which currently holds 87 players, now considering japan is 50 times the population of israel, having only 40-50 less players on my list is quite an achievement IMO.

Vgames.co.il is the largest gaming site in israel, and I work for them as a 2nd non-paid for job, just like Gimpy and etc' are mods/Forum managers in SWF, I am a community(game specific forum) manager at Vgames.

I'm sorry that playing and knowing allmost every SSBM pro in Japan, and many from the US is not enough for you, frankly I don't care, and wasn't expecting this to turn into ugly and pointless flaming and insulting aimed at me and the community I run.

yes I tend to keep the result of the Last tournament in my sig, why do you care?

also in my sig, is my youtube profile http://www.youtube.com/user/ITP123 , where you will find a video by virtualvoid, our current best SSBB player and 4th best SSBM player. you can say whatever you want, but you can't deny he's great at the game for it's current release time.

and btw, see that 747 subscribers I have? that's cause when you were here whining, I was in a store in japan, recording matches from the pre-release store demo of SSBB, which netted me quite a few people who will vouche that I am a good and helpful person, and not an idiot, like you sir make yourself out to be.

Fastest

Smash Ace
first of all, I see that you're an idiot trying to pick fights, so except making I will not bother answering your false stupidity.
Ask around. The general thing you'll hear about me is: "Fastest isn't being an *******. He's just always right."

I am the manager of the smash.vgame.co.il Vgames forum, as a "Community manager" I have one forum moderator under me, and am the main organizer of fests and tourneys in the community, which has held 23 tournaments and countless fests to the extent of handing out around 2000-3000$ in cash prizes.
Why the range? You'd think that you would have an exact figure since you are the MANAGER of such things. Are you cooking the books? But I digress... Besides, 23 tournaments only amounted to 2-3k? LOL!

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and use the high end and round up for everything

3000 / 23 = $131 Total winnings per tournament!

Using the standard breakdown of 60/30/10.. First place got a whopping $79!!!!

But wait! Don't tournaments usually have teams AND singles? Well, I suppose you have to cut that in half then.

WOW GOLLY GEE! FIRST PLACE IN THE AVERAGE ISRAELI SINGLES WILL NET YOU $40!
$20 Per partner for teams! LOLOLOLOLOL

Didn't the latest FC have $5000 *just* for singles? I can't imagine how heated those battles for $40 must be!

Edit! I hope those figures weren't in Israili dollars. Because in that case, First place would win $12 US dollars. BAWHWHHHAHAHAHAHA

I also run a database file for the rankings of all of these, which currently holds 87 players, now considering japan is 50 times the population of israel, having only 40-50 less players on my list is quite an achievement IMO.
So you have a list of 87 noobs who fight to rank themselves against each other? What'sthe prize for being #1? I'm imagining a kid sitting in a high school cafeteria wearing a burger king hat. We've already established the fact that these kids are playing for peanuts. How skilled can they be?

Vgames.co.il is the largest gaming site in israel, and I work for them as a 2nd non-paid for job, just like Gimpy and etc' are mods/Forum managers in SWF, I am a community(game specific forum) manager at Vgames.
So... you're not getting paid? Oh, that's right- moderating is a pat on the back in of itself. I can sense your ego rising because an admin convinced you to do their work for them.

yes I tend to keep the result of the Last tournament in my sig, why do you care?
Do you see ANYONE else putting their tournament results in their sig? Does Ken do it? Does Isai do it? Do I, however egotistical I am, do it? No! I care because I find it absolutely hilarious. Every person I've showed your post to has given a big hearty "lol" at your insistence to post your sub-par achievements.

A quick psychoanalysis of you would suggest that you don't have much to feel proud of in life. You're the type of person who felt extra special when a teacher put a "gold star" on your homework. Well, congratulations Mr. Gold Star! You're the proverbial alpha-minus male I've been talking about in my past few posts on these boards. You've secured your position as "top dog" in your area by positioning your status in such a place that nobody even cares about bothering with.

also in my sig, is my youtube profile http://www.youtube.com/user/ITP123 , where you will find a video by virtualvoid, our current best SSBB player and 4th best SSBM player. you can say whatever you want, but you can't deny he's great at the game for it's current release time.

and btw, see that 747 subscribers I have? that's cause when you were here whining, I was in a store in japan, recording matches from the pre-release store demo of SSBB, which netted me quite a few people who will vouche that I am a good and helpful person, and not an idiot, like you sir make yourself out to be.
Youtube is a terrible basis for anything. Go watch a Ken or Isai video and read the comments. People STILL think they're playing on lightning melee.

Do you really think 747 ******** youtube subscribers are a thing to be proud of? How many of them are 13 years old or younger? Congrats Mr. Gold Star: yet another crown you can create and have for yourself. Burger King Crown indeed.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Hey fastest, now if you've calmed down and stopped masturbating all over this thread, I have a reply for you. And just as soon as I can afford a gamebridge (broke college student) I will show you sheik and diddy combo's/strings.

The ONLY reason I say string is because they are technically escapable with an airdodge, though the timing of an airdodge leads a thinking attacker into transposing (sry for the chess term) into a different combo, therefore technically composing a string.

Here's a simple example:

I want to combo 3 sheik ftilts into a dtilt->grab. This is a combo (without appropriate airdodging).

If, at any point in the chain of ftilts the opponent airdodges, I simply transpose to a dtilt usmash or dtilt dsmash combo.

So I guess that you are technically correct in saying there are no true lengthy combos, but there are very strong strings.

And yes, this is taking DI into account, and I tried these out on a friend who knew what was coming and so tried to avoid the moves in any way possible.

I know you're bound and determined to decry brawl at every turn, go ahead. I hope for your sake and the sake of others who feel the same that the melee community stays strong. I for one would like to still compete in melee... kinda miss it. :(

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Combo's (or rather 'Strings' like behemoth said) still exist to a degree but they're not as big deal in killing your opponent. Brawl goes back to the original concept of smash: build up your opponents damage then send them flying and intercept. You want to use damage moves on your opponent first (read: Pit's Usmash, Uair, Nair, Foward special.... Moves like that) that build up their damage, then send them flying with a strong hit type attack (read: pits Fsmash, Ftilt, Bair, Dsmash) then chase them off the edge and finish them. Add that to the string theory (FTW) and you have a very deep combat interaction system.

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
it was theoretically the same way before, just the amount of guaranteed hits before you had to make your next decision was higher. So there's not really MORE thought, just more branches with fewer good options at each branch.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Branches= options

instead of only having five branches with five options each, now we have 10 branches with three options each, so more options in total

Enoch-Fox

Smash Cadet
not really but I'm not going to get into why those are different.
suffice to say that the possible actions are the same at each branch and with less actions a player's choice is easier to predict. There are just more chances to mess up your prediction.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Okay Fastest, I get what you're saying, but this isn't the East Coast MVC2 scene. Turn down dat hate, you can be right and a massive ******* at the same time (which you kinda are right now). You have complaints, but here isn't the place for it. Take this mess to the General Discussion boards.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
I will say in Brawl's favor that, like most traditional fighting games, I believe that mixups will play a more predominant part in a competitive player's successful strategy than was the case in Melee.

Top Bottom