• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
T-T So would normal custom creation characters.
Sure. Now tell me what body type we use? Having a very specific set character choice to work with helps. Obviously, some things will look odd, like a human throwing an egg, but I think that's the fun of it.

I technically wasn't talking about online, just saying that if people don't want to see bad Mii's, we may not actually have online with customized characters anyway.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
How would people feel if Boom Boom appeared as one of Adventure Mode's mid-bosses. I did have an input for him in that department...

[collapse=Image]
[/collapse]

Boom Boom is basically a close combat mid-boss who only appears in ambush portions of levels. He can jump high, perform body charges, and even withdraw into his shell to ram into players. Boom Boom can also perform a spin attack that can rack up damage against players as well, but this will leave him dizzy afterwards.

Boom Boom's HP is as follows...

Very Easy: 200 HP
Easy: 225 HP
Normal: 250 HP
Hard: 275 HP
Very Hard: 300 HP
Intense: 400 HP

Like all mid-bosses, Boom Boom is immune to grabs, and moves that involve grabbing will have no effect on him. Boom Boom can still be turned into a trophy with the Trophy Stand though.

In The Arena, Boom Boom appears as part of the "Mid-Boss All-Stars" battle round.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that wants him as a Boss I made a moveset for him

Boom Boom

Arm Spin: Boom Boom will begin spinning around with his arms spread out and he spin like a spinning top he will try to ram into you while he does this attack.

Shell Slam: Boom Boom hovers in the sky in his shell and he'll attempt to slam down on you while he is in his shell this move is rather slow so it's easy to dodge it does a lot of damage though.

Shell Spin: Boom Boom retreats in his shell and begins spinning around madly at a high speed this move isn't as easy to dodge as his other attacks and it will cause you to become dizzy if he contacts you.

Shoulder Slam: A pretty simple attack he pretty much just tries to ram into you with his shoulder like the Charging Chucks from the older Mario games.

Flame Spin: Boom Boom spins his arms like the arm spin however when he does this he produces fire balls that cause damage upon contact.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Some people don't want Miis? Well ain't that a crying shame.

I'm sorry but this is the smallest violin I could find.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think character customization is a good idea, unless there's a way to balance out the custom character. Maybe follow standards like...

1: Balanced - All stats are balanced.
2: Speedy - Stats focus primarily on speed, but power takes a drop.
3: Powerful - Stats focus on high strength, but speed takes a drop.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't think character customization is a good idea, unless there's a way to balance out the custom character. Maybe follow standards like...

I would make it a bit more complex.

Balanced-Close Range
Balanced-Mid/Long Rangel
Speedy Close range
Speedy-Mid/Long Range
Tank Close/Mid Range
Tank Long Range
Tactical Close Range
Tactical Mid/Long Range
Tactical Unorthodox

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They're customizable characters. Balance is not important. No even slightly serious tourney would ever run them.

The only way they'd be allowed is if they were bareboned, as in choosing a character's moveset, and customizing your looks. And maybe equipment that somewhat increases your stats(at the cost of others). Kind of like Soul Calibur IV, but less crappier.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Mini-boss: Old Man Lobber

Old Man Lobber has been tricked by the villains! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUN! You and your world are doomed!

Old Man Lobber is faster and more powerful at higher levels. However, on earlier levels, he is slow and weak, as if testing you before he gets serious. His attacks have slightly abnormal knockback on any level, though.

Attacks:
Rapid Charge-Lobber will go offscreen and charge in 3 directions, shown by a cursor, which tracks your movements. Higher level increases charges to at most 5. This attack is very fast, so you'll need to pay attention to when he goes offscreen.
Lightning Ball: Lobber moves to the top of the screen. He fires down a ball of lightning similar to Goriath EX's snowball in Kirby's Return to Dreamland. At lower levels, he'll tucker himself out and stop the attack to take a breather instead.
Tons of Bullets Barrage- Lobber holds up his cane. Tons of small energy spheres come out, only leaving a small area to sneak through without taking damage. It lasts longer at lower levels, because this is his strongest move, and he isn't using as much energy at low levels. It is also relatively slow at all levels.
Cane-a-rang: A simple cane toss, making arcs across the screen.

... You see? THIS is how an old man fights. I'd like to see Toadsworth fight like this. :troll:

:phone:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
They're customizable characters. Balance is not important. No even slightly serious tourney would ever run them.

The only way they'd be allowed is if they were bareboned, as in choosing a character's moveset, and customizing your looks. And maybe equipment that somewhat increases your stats(at the cost of others). Kind of like Soul Calibur IV, but less crappier.
Sure it is. I'm certain the attacks you could choose would have a "power ranking" that would detract from a budget, or something.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings

I don't think balance matters for custom characters. No one would play them competitively. But of course, the player shouldn't be allowed to make their characters ridiculously overpowered.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think balance matters for custom characters. No one would play them competitively. But of course, the player shouldn't be allowed to make their characters ridiculously overpowered.
The last thing we want is a custom character who is as powerful as Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, which is why custom character balance has to be implemented.

Mini-boss: Old Man Lobber

Old Man Lobber has been tricked by the villains! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUN! You and your world are doomed!

Old Man Lobber is faster and more powerful at higher levels. However, on earlier levels, he is slow and weak, as if testing you before he gets serious. His attacks have slightly abnormal knockback on any level, though.

Attacks:
Rapid Charge-Lobber will go offscreen and charge in 3 random directions. Higher level increases charges to at most 5. This attack is very fast, so you'll need to pay attention to when he goes offscreen.
Lightning Ball: Lobber moves to the top of the screen. He fires down a ball of lightning similar to Goriath EX's snowball in Kirby's Return to Dreamland. At lower levels, he'll tucker himself out and stop the attack to take a breather instead.
Tons of Bullets Barrage- Lobber holds up his cane. Tons of small energy spheres come out, only leaving a small area to sneak through without taking damage. It lasts longer at lower levels, because this is his strongest move, and he isn't using as much energy at low levels. It is also relatively slow at all levels.
Cane-a-rang: A simple cane toss, making arcs across the screen.

... You see? THIS is how an old man fights. I'd like to see Toadsworth fight like this. :troll:

For those who are confused, this is Old Man Lobber...

[collapse=Old Man Lobber]
[/collapse]

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I can beat MM games easy, heck I can speed run the first game. :smirk:

Actually I do believe that MM games outsold Metroid games back then. Super Metroid didn't even break a million from what I've found. (one of the reasons for a hiatus?)
It's funny, I think pretty much all the Megaman characters are interesting, but him.

I'm heavily expecting Miis to be playable. BD
Anyone who isn't expecting the Mii's, doesn't realize what the Mii's are, and how huge of a success they are. BY FAR more deserving to be in Smash than K. Rool, Ridley, and Megaman.

Soul Calibur IV (minus the awful Star Wars characters) and the PSP game were pretty good. Look up some of those awesome created characters.
I was talking from a competitive standpoint, and why bother? Some of the prettiest/most interesting looking characters are ALREADY in SC. Character creation in fighting games, is usually a bad thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sure it is. I'm certain the attacks you could choose would have a "power ranking" that would detract from a budget, or something.
Why bother doing it? The idea is to have fun here. Likewise, Smash was never balanced, so why would we only be able to play perfectly balanced characters(in concept, of course).

Honestly, balance only matters competitively. None of them will ever be used that way. It's not necessary at all. It wouldn't hurt, of course. But keeping it very simple is a lot easier. I would rather adopt Mortal Kombat: Armageddon's style. You have to buy most moves in general, but there's no special limit at all otherwise.

@Metal Overlord: Yes, please. Or maybe some kind of code input for aesthetic cheats.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Custom characters come with more difficulties than tourney viability, think about people who will buff up a character and then go online with him/her. That would take the fun out of online. *see maka wuhu

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Custom characters come with more difficulties than tourney viability, think about people who will buff up a character and then go online with him/her. That would take the fun out of online. *see maka wuhu

If there's no balance put into it(like Meta Knight), then it'd be a problem. If there is, then it can go online. If they can't find a way to balance, keep it offline only. The solutions aren't really a big problem. :p

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
The last thing we want is a custom character who is as powerful as Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, which is why custom character balance has to be implemented.
Didn't you read this? Custom characters should be made to be somewhat balanced, but it's not something that really matters.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I may take you up on that. But I'll have to get my Internet up first. I don't know how to stick a picture into a message. BTW, what about original images? My avatar(kinda, in a different pose) is part of it. Along with two other fan characters. And Doopliss.

Wtf is a Doopliss? Also, I can revamp sprites. Let me know full details by PM, and I can set you up :)

I meant to comment on this but I forgot.

I do like the moveset, especially Bottle Splash. Concerning that, though, I have one question about the fairy. When you/your friend talks about being attacked, does that mean that Young Link will have to sustain damage, or will the fairy piss off even if the opponent hits YL's shielf?
I asked Pikabolit (The guy who made it/my neighbor friend-dude), and he said that damage must land in order for the fairy to run away in fear.

Sure. Now tell me what body type we use? Having a very specific set character choice to work with helps. Obviously, some things will look odd, like a human throwing an egg, but I think that's the fun of it.

I technically wasn't talking about online, just saying that if people don't want to see bad Mii's, we may not actually have online with customized characters anyway.
Well, like I said, a simplified Spore. I'll make a pretty diagram of how it'd work, because NO ONE SUPPORTS IT T_T

Well, obviously, if it's a random match, you can't, maybe. But the stregnth of a character will be at a limit. Like I said, I'll work on it.

I will RAGE at all who stand in the way of Custom Creation Characters (The Regular Show. Benson. YES.).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing is, something like Spore takes a lot to implement, where using base models that are the original characters(like the Polygons were) is much easier for body types. But there's quite a lot of programming to be done. But if they all have one base body type(example: Mii), then it's MUCH easier to create.

D

Deleted member

Custom character creation to an extend would be something I'd like to see in the next game. But knowing Nintendo, if they are doing it, it'll probably be Mii's since it's a lot easier to work with them then it is another entirely new set-up.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
Anyone who isn't expecting the Mii's, doesn't realize what the Mii's are, and how huge of a success they are.
A lot of people who hate them underestimate how important they are to Nintendo. I've even heard a few call them "unpopular" (LOLWTF?).

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The thing is, something like Spore takes a lot to implement, where using base models that are the original characters(like the Polygons were) is much easier for body types. But there's quite a lot of programming to be done. But if they all have one base body type(example: Mii), then it's MUCH easier to create.
True... But I don't like the body type of Miis... I'd like to see something like the XBox-360 Avatars, to the least.

Custom character creation to an extend would be something I'd like to see in the next game. But knowing Nintendo, if they are doing it, it'll probably be Mii's since it's a lot easier to work with them then it is another entirely new set-up.
Laziness. That is all ._.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Okay, character customization is not something that's going to be relegated to a single character (Mii's), or to custom characters only instead of the entire roster. He described the "customization" as more of "BUILDING UP" characters. Y'know, RPG junk. You guys are reading way to into this.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay, character customization is not something that's going to be relegated to a single character (Mii's), or to custom characters only instead of the entire roster. He described the "customization" as more of "BUILDING UP" characters. Y'know, RPG junk. You guys are reading way to into this.
I've wanted Custom Characters ever since Melee. *shrugs*

I got an idea! Sprite design as an example! Brb.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@asage
2 things:
1) if you can't use a custom character on random matches people will complain
2) you can work on it all you want but Nintendo is making the game.
Zzuxon's idea is the closest to what I imagined and is a fairly common method.

@hyper
You said balance wasn't important, invalidating your first point. To your second point, half he fans will be upset if that route is chosen.

Doopliss is a ghost from pm:thousand year door. Obviously noob.

VVV try the skyward sword spoiler thread in the Zelda forum

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO BEAT THAT HARP PLAYING SIDE QUEST IN SKYWARD SWORD?

My Lord this is awful! Tried 5 times in a row now...

Also no. Customizing your own character is still an terrible idea. Customizing B moves is ok, but that's all

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Some people don't want Miis? Well ain't that a crying shame.

I'm sorry but this is the smallest violin I could find.
Accordion :D

But yeah,I honestly only expect a revamped sticker system, which I found pointless to begin with.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
@asage
2 things:
1) if you can't use a custom character on random matches people will complain
2) you can work on it all you want but Nintendo is making the game.
Zzuxon's idea is the closest to what I imagined and is a fairly common method.

Doopliss is a ghost from pm:thousand year door. Obviously noob.

*Sigh* My god...

1). Showing an example of how your idea would work is a type of speculation.
2). Call me a noob again, and I will report you. That's totally rude.
3). Yeah, people would complain about no customs on WiFi Random, but a game is NEVER perfect. No game has ever been.

D

Deleted member

asage94 said:
Laziness. That is all ._.
Not really. Doing a different method of custom characters would be exceptionally difficult and one that I don't think Sakurai thinks it's worth wasting on.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Lol @ a mirage not seeing a mistake fixed.

No, we are NOT starting, Oasis. Do not even try.

@SSBF Eh, either way, It's what I'd like to see. I'll tinker my idea more to fit everyone's want. If one body type is fine, then that's what I'll do, then.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In my opinion, now that I think about it, I wouldn't really WANT an elaborate customization system. IMO, creating a create your own character system would take too much valuable time that could be spent elsewhere, such as the gameplay, physics, stages, online, trophies, music, characters, ect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
None of my points are invalidated. Read more carefully, please. If they're balanced, online's fine. If there is no balance, keep it offline. They were separate points in general.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Wtf is a Doopliss? Also, I can revamp sprites. Let me know full details by PM, and I can set you up :)

I asked Pikabolit (The guy who made it/my neighbor friend-dude), and he said that damage must land in order for the fairy to run away in fear.

Well, like I said, a simplified Spore. I'll make a pretty diagram of how it'd work, because NO ONE SUPPORTS IT T_T

Well, obviously, if it's a random match, you can't, maybe. But the stregnth of a character will be at a limit. Like I said, I'll work on it.

I will RAGE at all who stand in the way of Custom Creation Characters (The Regular Show. Benson. YES.).
You know, Doopliss from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think this whole character creation and Mii discussion is stupid.

I don't care about it from a balance point or anything like it. I don't think such a thing belongs in a crossover game. Things like custom cosmetics and colors are fine by me, but this is both excessive and a waste of resources. I would rather be playing a character made for the game than make a custom one.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think this whole character creation and Mii discussion is stupid.

I don't care about it from a balance point or anything like it. I don't think such a thing belongs in a crossover game. Things like custom cosmetics and colors are fine by me, but this is both excessive and a waste of resources. I would rather be playing a character made for the game than make a custom one.
If it doesn't pertain to you, you usually* put it down. *shrugs* No offense, just that you do.

I think Dysfunctional was more or less tongue-in-cheek when he said that
Or Tougue-on-ice.

Alright, I gtg, but when I return, I should have more info about rumored Grey version. *hopefully*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom