• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
This isn't something I want to walk into at 11 at night T_T

Oh man, not another asage/Hyper argument :laugh:
Tell me about it -_-

Nope, he's a different version. He's actually playable. Likewise, he was also playable in Kirby 64's multiplayer.

For gods sake... So is Toad. It's called aging. Toad showed to be timid before. Nowadays, he's fighting WITH Mario.

I could say the same thing for why people want Toad playable. The "main" Toad looks like just the rest. Atleast you can tell the minions from the playable character here.

None of them were part of a moveset either. Long story short, Waddle Dee already does more than Toad does. Peach could hold out a mushroom with the same effect. Yes, Toad protects her. Waddle Dee is an Army that DDD commands in canon, and will use to weaken his opponent's. That's how he does thing. I don't remember a game where Peach expected Toad to protect her. That's the "offhand statement", but she protects herself pretty damn well too.

Just stare at my avatar, and you'll see my response.

But in Smash, the Waddle Dees have a mind of their own. Nana does too. Even the Pikmin.(albeit the latter two have less notable A.I.) Toad has none of this. Yes, his importance to Mario is higher. But that doesn't mean much, since we both know that's not a criteria.

:facepalm: I just want to strangle you, Hyperfalcon :laugh: Have you EVER played any Mario games?

Likewise, if Toad can get in, so can Waddle Dee. And neither Peach nor DDD's moveset requires a change. The only purpose of that Bandana is to tell them apart. Which, you know, counts for quite a lot.

Omg, why you u hint at us that all Waddle Dees are clones? My point was that Adeleine has a better story, which could be built up more in Sm4sh (As ROB and G&W was). I'm just going to say, for the record, that Toad=Waddle Dee.But I'd hate to see Waddle Dee get in over who actually deserves the rep, and that's not JUST Adeleine.

I'm not saying Toad shouldn't be playable. Or Waddle Dee. They can be. That's fine. But you're severely grasping at straws by comparing him to characters that actually do more than Toad in SSB/SSBB. None of them work. He could totally get in, yes, but currently Sakurai did not agree, and nothing points to him having a high chance at all.
FUUUU-
Bring inSakurai, would you? How do you think he thinks about his own characters??? He knows how Waddle Dee runs, and he'll understand that there IS better options. He definatly is not dumb. And you need to play the Mario series if you think Toad's NEVER played an important role, which you're hinting at.
i knew you will say that -_-
1: I love your terrible english.
2: How did you know? Did you read his mind? ARE YOU MEWTWO??:awesome::awesome::bee::):glare:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
All I can say is, GET USED TO IT.

Super Mario
Pokemon
Wii series

Top three selling franchises in video game history.

Say hello to the Mii's everybody!

1: I love your terrible english.
2: How did you know? Did you read his mind? ARE YOU MEWTWO?
Oh you. Dislike.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
All I can say is, GET USED TO IT.

Super Mario
Pokemon
Wii series

Top three selling franchises in video game history.

Say hello to the Mii's everybody!
Yup.

The funny thing is that more people are apprehensive with Miis getting in than Waluigi or Tingle.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't use deserving, since that's a bad idea. Completely.

Both Waddle Dee and Toad are very viable for Smash. Although Toad looks less likely right now.

Also, Toad does nothing notable in Smash either. Seriously, I stand by my statement that those with A.I. movesets generally have a better chance than a glorified shield. Not that he shouldn't be in, but yes, apparently he wasn't considered. Don't know why, but eh.

And I didn't call Waddle Dee clones. At all. Nor did I mean that. Just that one Waddle Dee sticks out more than the others. The one with the Bandana. If you tried to look for "Commander" Toad, you couldn't find him. I mean, a Captain's Hat would be all we need, but since we wouldn't see tons of Toads running around, it's not needed. I'm saying that to prevent confusing DDD's Waddle Dee Throw and the PC Waddle Dee, you need a costume. That's all. Personally, I'd pick Waddle Dee and Toad before Adeline.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Miis are fine IMO, but like I've said repetitively before, I still doubt they will happen based on the Iwata Asks interview.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Miis are fine IMO, but like I've said repeatively before, I still doubt they will happen based on the Iwata Asks interview.
I don't believe they'll be full characters. Although custom characters, I could see. Either works for me.

Admittably, I'd like to be able to take a Polygon/Wire Frames/Alloy for it instead.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Not sure about Mii's for this reason. Sakurai tries hard to mix all the different gaming worlds and blend these distinct dimensions into one universe. The Mii's have set graphics. Sakurai would have to update each part of the Mii that could be assembled for them to be Smash viable.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not sure about Mii's for this reason. Sakurai tries hard to mix all the different gaming worlds and blend these distinct dimensions into one universe. The Mii's have set graphics. Sakurai would have to update each part of the Mii that could be assembled for them to be Smash viable.
Only thing I can see is that they increase their height accordingly. And weight. He doesn't have to change any of their looks. Hell, you just choose your Mii, and put in moves anyway.

Now, if you mean a Mii with a predetermined moveset, then we could keep them middle weight, and default to medium size overall. You'd just transfer your designs, or could you design their color using customization. Or you know, just give them colors. A bit bland, but so were Sonic's colors. :p

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yes, but if we mess with it, it deters tourney results too.

But if we only have custom characters, both sides win. I can make a guy just like DDD, but with some different moves. Tourney players don't get skewed results due to that one changed move, and we get kickass neat character combinations.

Everyone knows that custom characters are always banned, and for good reasons.

I want something both for everyone. Likewise, it wouldn't automatically balance a character either. It sounds fun, but why can't you make a copy with the changes you want? I can easily do that in any game with a custom character outside of Soul Calibur.
Interesting. I generally meant things like Luigi and Kirby's changes from Melee to Brawl. If they stayed the same Kirby's grabs and dash attack would be bad, and Luigi will have a harder time recovering. Ganondorf is also likely to not be great in SSB4, and FLUDD would be the way it is since it won't be replaced/improved. I'm 45/55 on custom characters, but about Tournies, the fact that we'll have new fighters means that results will be pretty different from sequel to sequel already. Plus there'll be a new engine and gameplay features (footstool for example), so I think trying to preserve the tourney outcomes from one installment to another would be pretty difficult unless you want minimal changes. Then it might come under fire by skeptics who say the game has been rehashed.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here is a logical roster that I had made based on my interest and research. This was one of my work that I'm proud of. Criticism would be nice. :)

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@Hyper Falcon

How is Toad "less" deserving? True, he doesn't play a big role in Smash; however, think about the past Smash games. Pit, Meta Knight, Wario were all in Melee as trophies; however, Toad was at least a shield and in the background for the adventure mode. Birdo was a background character who actually affected gameplay. King DDD made a small cameo in the background as well in Melee. Characters do not need to be predicted based on their roles from the past Smash games. Besides it is not like we'll have non playable Toads if Toad did become playable.

In the Mario spin-offs, no red Toads appear except for Toad himself in the most recent ones. You see countless numbers of Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple Toads in the new spin-offs as background characters; however, there is only one Toad with a red cap and blue vest and this is Toad. Same applies to Yoshi. Oh and also the recent Super Mario 3D Land only has one red Toad with a blue vest operating the Toad Houses and helping you in the levels. You should realize this if you played the last level of this game.

Also I'm pretty sure anyone can tell who Toad is when they are playing as him. But that does not matter as Kinopio still covers for all Toads. When people see a Toad, they affectionately refer to him as Toad (just like they do for Yoshi, the Pokemon, etc). Being generic is not always a bad thing.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Interesting. I generally meant things like Luigi and Kirby's changes from Melee to Brawl. If they stayed the same Kirby's grabs and dash attack would be bad, and Luigi will have a harder time recovering. Ganondorf is also likely to not be great in SSB4, and FLUDD would be the way it is since it won't be replaced/improved. I'm 45/55 on custom characters, but about Tournies, the fact that we'll have new fighters means that results will be pretty different from sequel to sequel already. Plus there'll be a new engine and gameplay features (footstool for example), so I think trying to preserve the tourney outcomes from one installment to another would be pretty difficult unless you want minimal changes.
I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I would be fine with it, but then that would require tourneys to have more rules. Like you using the original moveset, etc.

It would actually be sweet. I'm just going for a happy medium. Both competitive and casual stay happy.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Only thing I can see is that they increase their height accordingly. And weight. He doesn't have to change any of their looks. Hell, you just choose your Mii, and put in moves anyway.

Now, if you mean a Mii with a predetermined moveset, then we could keep them middle weight, and default to medium size overall. You'd just transfer your designs, or could you design their color using customization. Or you know, just give them colors. A bit bland, but so were Sonic's colors. :p
Mii's have bad graphics. The Wii U can give them better graphics. Otherwise, they may look odd in the Smash world.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll never like the idea of having Miis playable. It's just a bland idea, don't really find it really creative or anything yet.

Saw a video just now for G&W Gallery for GBA. Boxing starred Luigi, fighting Waluigi as the last stage. Don't like it, but never expected an appearence of him like that.

Also is Mr. G&W even in those games?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Here is a logical roster that I had made based on my interest and research. This was one of my work that I'm proud of. Criticism would be nice. :)

*Sees both Palutena and Medusa*
*Sees Krystal*
*Sees Sonic and Snake gone while Mega Man and Bomberman in*

I would change these.
Snake is going nowhere because his creator wanted him in.
Sonic is going nowhere because it's frigging Sonic.
A 4th StarFox character is not likely to be added.
2 Kid Icarus Newcomers is not likely. 1 is reasonable.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Don't use deserving, since that's a bad idea. Completely.

Both Waddle Dee and Toad are very viable for Smash. Although Toad looks less likely right now.

Also, Toad does nothing notable in Smash either. Seriously, I stand by my statement that those with A.I. movesets generally have a better chance than a glorified shield. Not that he shouldn't be in, but yes, apparently he wasn't considered. Don't know why, but eh.

And I didn't call Waddle Dee clones. At all. Nor did I mean that. Just that one Waddle Dee sticks out more than the others. The one with the Bandana. If you tried to look for "Commander" Toad, you couldn't find him. I mean, a Captain's Hat would be all we need, but since we wouldn't see tons of Toads running around, it's not needed. I'm saying that to prevent confusing DDD's Waddle Dee Throw and the PC Waddle Dee, you need a costume. That's all. Personally, I'd pick Waddle Dee and Toad before Adeline.
You're funny ;) Answered 1st para to last.

I know you don't like the word "Deserving", so let me find a different word for ya. "Worth".

I'm getting the uncanny feeling that you hate Toad.

Sadly, if this was true, Waddle Dee would be garbage too.

I didn't say u said it, either. I said you were Hinting at it, meaning it sounds like you were saying it. Also, there IS a Toad for such a specific, but I'll let you do the research, because you're "HINTING" that you've never paid attention to Toad's importance to the Mario series. Also, Adeleine has a much more unique set-up for a moveset. Waddle Dee would have to copy certain moves. Example: Parasol. Peach. Example: Spear: Lucario (Range). But that doesn't mean it's Impossible. But it's still VERY difficult without making a brand new Dee move, which is a no-no.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
I doubt waddle dee or toad will get in. Only famous/important characters usually get in. All the pokemon that are in are usually important or popular or legendary. That's like saying a goomba could get in if a waddle dee could get in.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I doubt waddle dee or toad will get in. Only famous/important characters usually get in. All the pokemon that are in are usually important or popular or legendary. That's like saying a goomba could get in if a waddle dee could get in.
...I don't want You to live on this planet anymore :laugh:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Can you link me to this interview, please?
Here:

Of course, I think there was a possibility of taking Smash Bros. in a more casual-gaming direction. For example, we could make the art style simpler or make it possible to use Miis. However, with the various titles that the Wii was to offer, I felt that people were looking for something different. That’s the reason I decided in very early stages of development that the Wii pointer and motion movements would not be a primary feature of the game.
10char

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@virtualgamecafe

Bandanna Dee is a notable, developing character in the Kirby series. Toad is a long stay character who has been considered a notable Nintendo character since the beginning. He has notable roles; however, he just goes by unnoticed to some. Toad is definitely not a minor character by any standard.

Also Toad is one of Shigeru Miyamoto's most favourite characters along with Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Link, Zelda, and DK (a plus point) according to a recent interview :awesome::

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/12/23/shigeru-miyamoto-on-mario-zelda-and-not-retiring-anytime-soon/

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Iwata ask interview, three consoles so far have incorperated the Mii's, I think that statement will most certainly be reconsidered because of this, and the fact that they rank below only Mario and Pokemon. I think they'll beat both eventually.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@HyperFalcon: To each his own. :)

@R.O.B.: I'm skeptical about Bomberman because I think there's more likely choices (and no I don't mean Rayman)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Iwata ask interview, three consoles so far have incorperated the Mii's, I think that statement will most certainly be reconsidered because of this, and the fact that they rank below only Mario and Pokemon. I think they'll beat both eventually.
We'll have to see I guess. But because of this interview, I don't think they have as much of a shot as people think they do (not that I'm complaining, I'm fine with Mii's getting in, I've always wanted to beat up Diddy Kong "myself" :p).

It's also nice to see that Sakurai is trying to create a balance between casual and competitive based on what he said.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bandana Dee is playable a lot so I've heard, and his spear abilities could easily distinguish him from regular Waddle Dees.

D

Deleted member

So...what Sakurai is saying that Miis are too "casual" to be in Smash?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
We'll have to see I guess. But because of this interview, I don't think they have as much of a shot as people think they do (not that I'm complaining, I'm fine with Mii's getting in, I've always wanted to beat up Diddy Kong "myself" :p).
I think the fact that they are Mii's is clouding everyone's judgement. If this was Little Mac and the Punch Out!! series we wouldn't even be discussing this.

And Sakurai must be blind if he doesn't see how casual Brawl freaking is.

Tbh, though... Bomberman<Rayman.
Seems you know nothing about Bomberman's place in gaming history.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're funny ;) Answered 1st para to last.

I know you don't like the word "Deserving", so let me find a different word for ya. "Worth".

I'm getting the uncanny feeling that you hate Toad.

Sadly, if this was true, Waddle Dee would be garbage too.
Neither character would be. They're both popular characters as is. Sakurai would most likely pick his guy over Toad anyway. Most sighs point towards Waddle Dee. If I were to use deserving, sure, I'd pick Toad. But if it were based upon what actually is happening, Waddle Dee is more likely. He has a model where he walks around and attacks. Toad still lacks that as of yet.

I didn't say u said it, either. I said you were Hinting at it, meaning it sounds like you were saying it. Also, there IS a Toad for such a specific, but I'll let you do the research, because you're "HINTING" that you've never paid attention to Toad's importance to the Mario series. Also, Adeleine has a much more unique set-up for a moveset. Waddle Dee would have to copy certain moves. Example: Parasol. Peach. Example: Spear: Lucario (Range). But that doesn't mean it's Impossible. But it's still VERY difficult without making a brand new Dee move, which is a no-no.
No, Waddle Dee can use his Spear without copying other people. Lol at using a Parasol or anything being similar to Lucario. Seriously, having range makes him like Lucario? You're severely grasping at straws. Likewise, if Waddle Dee is generic, so is Toad. The only reason Toad doesn't need a costume change is because there won't be a ton running around at any given moment. And both can have unique movesets without copying stuff. I don't know where you're getting this. Anybody can be unique.

Toads aren't clones, nor are Waddle Dees. They're just a race. They both have some notable versions. Toad, Toadette, and Toadsworth are the only truly notable Toads(in the non spin-offs), and Bandana Dee is the notable Waddle Dee. But there's one notable regular Toad, being "Commander" Toad, and one notable Waddle Dee. All we see in Brawl is that Waddle Dee has more stuff that could make him playable over Toad. So as of right now, he's more likely.

Of course, that doesn't mean Dee should get in before Toad. As I said before, Toad should come first. Although it's not like the Mario series NEED anymore characters either. It's pretty full already. It's got 4 full-time characters, and two offsets. Pokemon has only added in, so far, notable ones for playing. Well, Plusle & Minun would've been the exception, but I believe it was meant to replace Pichu originally. But theories, eh.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Which is kind of a funny thing when you look at characters like Ness and Roy.

yani_

Smash Ace
I'll never like the idea of having Miis playable. It's just a bland idea, don't really find it really creative or anything yet.

Saw a video just now for G&W Gallery for GBA. Boxing starred Luigi, fighting Waluigi as the last stage. Don't like it, but never expected an appearence of him like that.

Also is Mr. G&W even in those games?

In the G&W games, you have the option to play the modernized version, or the classic version. Modern version being the games with Mario & friends and Classic being old Game & Watch games

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Neither character would be. They're both popular characters as is. Sakurai would most likely pick his guy over Toad anyway. Most sighs point towards Waddle Dee. If I were to use deserving, sure, I'd pick Toad. But if it were based upon what actually is happening, Waddle Dee is more likely. He has a model where he walks around and attacks. Toad still lacks that as of yet.

No, Waddle Dee can use his Spear without copying other people. Lol at using a Parasol or anything being similar to Lucario. Seriously, having range makes him like Lucario? You're severely grasping at straws. Likewise, if Waddle Dee is generic, so is Toad. The only reason Toad doesn't need a costume change is because there won't be a ton running around at any given moment. And both can have unique movesets without copying stuff. I don't know where you're getting this. Anybody can be unique.

Toads aren't clones, nor are Waddle Dees. They're just a race. They both have some notable versions. Toad, Toadette, and Toadsworth are the only truly notable Toads(in the non spin-offs), and Bandana Dee is the notable Waddle Dee. But there's one notable regular Toad, being "Commander" Toad, and one notable Waddle Dee. All we see in Brawl is that Waddle Dee has more stuff that could make him playable over Toad. So as of right now, he's more likely.

Of course, that doesn't mean Dee should get in before Toad. As I said before, Toad should come first. Although it's not like the Mario series NEED anymore characters either. It's pretty full already. It's got 4 full-time characters, and two offsets. Pokemon has only added in, so far, notable ones for playing. Well, Plusle & Minun would've been the exception, but I believe it was meant to replace Pichu originally. But theories, eh.
I've had my fill on Falcons for today :awesome: I've made my point too many times over this dumb conversation

Lookin for problems? :glare:

Also, HyperFalcon is a candyass
XD Best response ever.

Candyass? ...LOL

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
All we see in Brawl is that Waddle Dee has more stuff that could make him playable over Toad. So as of right now, he's more likely.
I guess Birdo, Mr. Saturn, and Tingle should have been playable instead of Meta Knight, Pit, King DDD, Wario in Brawl as they had animated and moving models in Melee if this was the case while the latter group were just trophies in Melee. I guess the first two are more prominent than those that appeared as trophies...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Did somebody just say Toad wasn't famous? LOLLLLLLLL. Of course he's famous. The most popular? Probably not. But indeed famous.

No, your point doesn't hold up, Asage. Toad isn't as likely as you think. AT's, those who actually MOVE on their own, and characters scrapped but with data are more likely than him. I don't hate on Toad, he wasn't even someone Sakurai thought could be made playable. So yeah, his likeliness is kind of low as of right now. It should change, no lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom