• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Although, now that I think about it, very few stages come from final levels in games. They usually come from iconic locations or opening levels. Venom, Fountain of Dreams and Venom are the only ones that come to mind.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just discovered a movie I MUST see.

It stars the guy who was in "They Live"

It's called "Hell comes to Frog Town"

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That was my original idea, until I discovered the dragon. The dragon idea is too good to pass up. I'll just bow out of the FE race.

Put this in your stage concept in place of Sorrow and you're good.
http://youtu.be/jtnkiJ1oFlA
I was actually planning to keep that on Dragon's Altar.

Although, now that I think about it, very few stages come from final levels in games. They usually come from iconic locations or opening levels. Venom, Fountain of Dreams and Venom are the only ones that come to mind.
Speak for yourself, I'm feeling somewhat repetitve with some of my concepts. :/

Wily Castle
Outer Heaven
Dragon's Altar
Gimle

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I was actually planning to keep that on Dragon's Altar.
Ohhh, I didn't know this was separate from your dragon altar idea. Somehow I thought you were replacing it. My bad.

Speak for yourself, I'm feeling somewhat repetitve with some of my concepts. :/
I still have like 15 ideas that I could use, but I don't because while creativity is fun most of my concepts I do also have a facet of what I think is likely. It's like 75% creativity / 25% speculation.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, the sequel has Lou Ferrigno, and they are turning him to a frog...which means putting green make up on.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Venom and Fountain of Dreams (lol at you mentioning Venom twice) are in several games in said series though. They are also always (as you mention) a central, iconic location.

The only "final levels" I can see being new stages are Wily's Castle and Bowser's Castles/Fortress/Galaxy/Hideout/whatever you want to call it.

Meanwhile we have a lot more opening levels: Peach's Castle 64 and Melee are both the opening/hub area of Super Mario 64 and Paper Mario. Mushroom Kingdom 64 and Melee/Mushroomy Kingdom are the opening level of Super Mario Bros. Mushroom Kingdom II is the opening level of SMB2. Delfino Plaza is the opening/hub area of Super Mario Sunshine. It's the same thing with nearly every franchise's stages. I expect more of these opening/hub levels. Definitely. Rosalina's Starship? Starship Mario? Skyloft? Etc. :laugh:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
There's a secret Venom level where you use the BlueMarine in an acid ocean, and the ending boss fight is between Wolf in his YellowOtter. Otters are also known as sea wolves.

Also this guy should be in Smash:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There's a secret Venom level where you use the BlueMarine in an acid ocean, and the ending boss fight is between Wolf in his YellowOtter. Otters are also known as sea wolves.

That (Green) guy is spraying from his third leg

Edit: Rule 34? Some kind of alien waffle fetish thing?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I remember playing that game a lot... @_@ It was hella hard though as a kid.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Star Fox 64. It literally has two versions of Venom to go through.
Okay, that's what I thought. ;)

In Smash, we've only had 1 Venom. That is what myself and Star were referring to. :bee:

Still, we don't have many last level stages in Smash.

Venom, Fountain of Dreams (it's been a last level before), Spear Pillar (it's kinda a last level area-ish), New Pork City, Skyworld (kinda), and Castle Siege's last 2 areas kinda sorta.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord

Reminds me of those jimmy neutron alien.

The "she like cute" gets cut and becomes "she lik" ugh

All series should have a final,begginig,and end level,but the series like ice climbers,game and watch,r.o.b.,ect.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, that's what I thought. ;)

In Smash, we've only had 1 Venom. That is what myself and Star were referring to. :bee:
Actually, he was referring to the games where they appeared. He meant what I was referring to in the context.

Still, we don't have many last level stages in Smash.

Venom, Fountain of Dreams (it's been a last level before), Spear Pillar (it's kinda a last level area-ish), New Pork City, Skyworld (kinda), and Castle Siege's last 2 areas kinda sorta.
Yeah. But then again, it depends if they're interesting. Final Destination is very borderline, as its original name is Final Stage in SSB64, so technically it could count, as the new version is quite different in size and background. But eh.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Talking about stages, I always though that the final boss battle in the first Yoshi's Island could be an interesting stage.

This one.

Baby Bowser (that's him right? xD) will be walking forward and slowly destroying the stage. Sometimes these storks will drop giant eggs which you need to hit so they can be thrown at Baby Bowser getting him further back. If nobody does that, eventually he will destroy the whole stage with his massive body and will kill everybody. After that, the stage is rebuilt and Baby Bowser will go back to his initial position. Rinse and repeat. Note that it should be a slower process than in the original game. Or it would be too frantic.

These Yoshi's Island storks can carry and drop items too just like Shy Guys do. ;p

I don't know, I think I love too much that game. :3

D

Deleted member

Hold up! Isn't Wrinkly Kong considered Cranky's wife?

:phone:
Yes.
Wrinkly has been said to be DK's grandmother too. (and unlike Cranky, I don't think she was ever referred to as DK's mother)

Though I like the idea that Nintendo should just say Cranky is the father (and OG DK)while DK was DK Jr.
Certainly beats out anything Arcadenik made up which counteracts what Nintendo AND Rare have stated.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still say Donkey Kong is the son of Cranky. Otherwise the Arcade games wouldn't make sense. It's also Rare's ORIGINAL intention to have it like that, so for me, its the only truth.

Baby DK from Yoshi's Island DS ****ed things up badly though.

But I don't careee :awesome:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Talking about stages, I always though that the final boss battle in the first Yoshi's Island could be an interesting stage.

This one.

Baby Bowser (that's him right? xD) will be walking forward and slowly destroying the stage. Sometimes these storks will drop giant eggs which you need to hit so they can be thrown at Baby Bowser getting him further back. If nobody does that, eventually he will destroy the whole stage with his massive body and will kill everybody. After that, the stage is rebuilt and Baby Bowser will go back to his initial position. Rinse and repeat. Note that it should be a slower process than in the original game. Or it would be too frantic.

These Yoshi's Island storks can carry and drop items too just like Shy Guys do. ;p

I don't know, I think I love too much that game. :3
I actually had that idea for a new Yoshi stage too, but with everyone wanting regular Bowser's Castle, you just can't win. ;)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I still say Donkey Kong is the son of Cranky. Otherwise the Arcade games wouldn't make sense. It's also Rare's ORIGINAL intention to have it like that, so for me, its the only truth.

Baby DK from Yoshi's Island DS ****ed things up badly though.

But I don't careee :awesome:

to be fair, YI DS f***ed up a lot of things involving characters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, apparently Street Fighter X Tekken has bombed. It sounds like, according to Capcom anyways, it is genre over saturation. See despite the argument of whether Smash Bros is a "fighting game" or not it does not seem to have the same problem selling as other fighting games.

I"m just kind laughing at Capcom because they are getting ready to take a big fall. They killed off the Megaman franchise, their "bread and butter" fighting games are starting to stagnate, it won't be long until they run Resident Evil into the ground, and every new IP they create seems to bomb. Lol

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People can say what they want about Sakurai, but I like him being in charge of the Super Smash Bros series. Say what you want, but at least the man tries to innovate as much as he can with each sequel.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh maaan, this all DK thing...

Cranky was the original DK and the Baby DK. Yes, Cranky is, or more, was the former Star Child. And would be DK's father. Or received it from his son, who died and gave him DK Jr to take care for if you want to go that whole "grandfather" route. In any case, DK Jr's the current Donkey Kong.

And let me put my dumb fanon that allows Cranky to pass that whole "Star" to DK Jr, who's now the current Donkey Kong.

But I must agree wholeheartedly, Yoshi's Island DS ****ed up a loads of things.
Bowser traveling back in time to get the seven star children... including HIMSELF. (-0________0-)

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So, apparently Street Fighter X Tekken has bombed. It sounds like, according to Capcom anyways, it is genre over saturation. See despite the argument of whether Smash Bros is a "fighting game" or not it does not seem to have the same problem selling as other fighting games.

I"m just kind laughing at Capcom because they are getting ready to take a big fall. They killed off the Megaman franchise, their "bread and butter" fighting games are starting to stagnate, it won't be long until they run Resident Evil into the ground, and every new IP they create seems to bomb. Lol
That's hilarious. Too bad it also looks like Rockman Online is also near cancellation as well, so I finally agree with you there.

Only a matter of time until RE is dead as well, they've already milked the franchise more than the NES Mega Man series. lol

People can say what they want about Sakurai, but I like him being in charge of the Super Smash Bros series. Say what you want, but at least the man tries to innovate as much as he can with each sequel.
This.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

It didn't bomb. It underperformed. I believe it sold 1.2 to 1.4 million copies out of the expected 2 million Capcom expected to sell by the end of the fiscal year. Besides, underperformed or not, that amount of sales is incredibly good for a fighting game that's not SSB.

I think it could have been genre over saturation in a short period of time. UMvC3 came out in November. The AE 2012 update came out in December. SFxTK came out in March. They were aware of this, but they didn't know the extent of these close releases. They at least knew to leave SFxTK with a low profile until Marvel came out so that wouldn't bomb. Of course, there's also KOF XIII that came out in November and Skullgirls that came out last month. We had Soul Calibur V out in January.Then we've got Virtua Fighter coming out in June with Tekken Tag Tournament and Dead or Alive 5 coming out September.

So, not even within a year's span, we'll have 10 fighting games/updates that have come out in a year's span. We could also include the MK Komplete Edition and the XBLA/PSN port of Guilty Gear, and the likely update for SFxTK (because it needs it badly) for 13 different games for a fighting game player to choose from. With the economy as it is and the fact that playing any of these games competitively takes time and dedication, you have to make your decisions wisely.

On the topic of Capcom taking their fall, I don't think they're going anywhere. At this point, I think Megaman is taking a considerable hiatus simply because his kind of games are not economically viable in today's market. They would have to either go back to Legends 3 or revamp the series to make the games relevant. Eight levels and a Heihachi level for 60 bucks isn't gonna cut it for anyone.

And new IPs are always a gamble regardless of what the company is. Ever noticed that Nintendo's new stuff has a tendancy to be released on handhelds save for the Operation Rainfall games? At least with a handheld release, there's a smaller budget so less risk of a loss.

Smash Bros. is fortunate for not only being on a platform with a lack of fighting games, but all its cast members are characters from games that people by the Nintendo platforms for in the first place. Besides, fighting games had taken a considerable drop following 3S. Sure, you had your fighting games still being made, but there wasn't a Street Fighter game leading the scene. Ever noticed that we've had this big resurgence in the genre ever since SF4's release? Melee and Brawl were released in this big gap so there's less competition. This is why I'm both concerned and curious about the series with the genre back in the limelight.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Exactly. That would also explain why a lot of Nintendo's franchises like Starfox and F-Zero haven't seen new games in years. Mario games are always a safe bet no matter what kind of Mario game it is.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Exactly. That would also explain why a lot of Nintendo's franchises like Starfox and F-Zero haven't seen new games in years. Mario games are always a safe bet no matter what kind of Mario game it is.
This.

They even know they don't need to put any effort on Mario-games because they're gonna sell hotcakes, anyway.
(-=^=-)*

*inb4recentmariospinoffsandupcomingnewsupermariobros*

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm not worried about Smash Bros losing out on sales because of the competition. By the time Smash comes out, Capcom would have destroyed the whole 2D fighting game scene once again leaving Smash as the only trust worthy brand.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Broken Heart at Dusk
Those fighting games area all traditional fighting games. Smash is far from traditional. Smash is also not like those games, even the crossover fighting games, because it includes elements of various 2D side scrolling Nintendo games (most noticeably platformers).

Trust me, the next 2 smash games will sell like hot cakes. Most people have mentally categorized smash in it's own little category.

Plus, Smash Bros' rivals (PlayStation All-Stars, TMNT Smash, that Cartoon Network fighting game) is all just (trash) copies of it that don't compare to it.

It's like trying to compare Gran Turismo to your redneck 4 year old cousin racing drunken hamsters!

:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom