• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am beginning to doubt Sin & Punishment and Golden Sun getting any characters. They aren't exactly big-name franchises like Punch-Out and Kid Icarus. Notice how Punch-Out and Kid Icarus were dead for almost 15-20 years and Nintendo gave them the all-star treatment when they were revived but they didn't really do that for Sin & Punishment and Golden Sun when they were revived. This is part of the reason why I think Punch-Out could get Little Mac and possibly King Hippo while Kid Icarus could get both Palutena and Medusa.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
How many games does Golden Sun even have? Just wondering.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sorry to intimidate you with my Strength Oasis... :cool:

Also Arcadenik, I suspect we'll be getting a new Golden Sun game announced within the next two years... hopefully staring Issac. Otherwise, the Issac vs. Matthew debate will rage on. :urg:

@ Poppy

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Sorry to intimidate you with my Strength Oasis... :cool:

Also Arcadenik, I suspect we'll be getting a new Golden Sun game announced within the next two years... hopefully staring Issac. Otherwise, the Issac vs. Matthew debate will rage on. :urg:

@ Poppy
And about how many sales does each get on average?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
3 poppy and that's an interesting point arc. Although I'm not sure of KI counts because sakurai always goes all out, so if he had done S&P/golden sun they would've gotten more of an all star treatment.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai didn't really go all out with Meteos... who even remembers that game? :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Golden Sun (the first game in the series, released in 2001 and 2002) sold over 1 million units total.
The Lost Age (the second game in the series, released in 2002 and 2003) sold over 700,000 units total.
Dark Dawn (the third game in the series, released in 2010) has no sales estimations I could find, but I assume it sold about the same amount as the previous two Golden Sun titles.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
It was pretty well received and I guess it did decently considering it didn't have the following smash, Kirby, kid, Icarus had to automatically push it up.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh God if Sakurai did Golden Sun (a classic franchise that helped revolutionize handheld RPGs) the way he did Kid Icarus (a solid side scrolling platform game), we might have gotten one of the best handheld RPG titles of all-time!

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wow, a 20+ page jump since I last logged in. I'm Slow.

At this point I'm just barely betting against a Golden Sun character due to a small hunch. I'm willing to bet though that IF he is considered he'll have major competition from Shulk.

As for S&P, that's a pretty safe bet IMO for a lot of reasons, Sakurai seeming to like him is only the icing on the cake.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe... but knowing Sakurai, he might have made Golden Sun easier than Dark Dawn and I heard people hated Dark Dawn because it was easier than the GBA games.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I got about 1/3rd through Dark Dawn on a friend's copy of the game, and it was a cakewalk. There was no challenge at all.

Granted, the game was aimed at newcomers. I wouldn't mind it being moderately hard, even though the 1st two titles could be very punishing at times.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Who gives a **** about sales

Smash is a big series, so a playable appearance in a Smash game from Saki would only benefit him, anyway. Saki is a decently requested character, Sakurai himself even noticed how requested he was. He's in slightly better shape now than pre-Brawl since Sin and Punishment got released on the VC and since Star Successor came out. He even teased how much Saki fit fighting on the battlefield as an AT alongside other playable characters, so yeah, Saki's probably gonna get in

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ Companies. Plus we're dealing with limited roster space. So if it comes down to Saki vs. Issac, Issac has the popularity edge, the bigger series edge, and the marketability edge. Actually if it comes down to any character vs. Saki, you can give any character an edge over Saki. Not that I dislike Saki. I (moderately) like him.

Also I agree Triple Dash. I got a feeling we'll at least get a lot of Golden Sun content, giving how popular the series has becoming. Kid Icarus, Punch-Out!!, Golden Sun, and especially the Donkey Kong (Country) series have gotten much bigger/more popular/well-known since Brawl came out. :cool:

Llumys

Smash Champion

The second trainer is the female Johto trainer, and the second Krom is an appropriate female from Krom's game coming out soon.

Also, yep. That many third party characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I counted 83 characters, including transformations. Unless you are including all Assist Trophy character, bosses, etc. or this is a "viable character list," this roster is insane.

You're gonna have to wait until Super Smash Brothers Siblings 12 for that many characters! :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I love that Toad, Tingle, Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, and Dixie Kong are in there. I love that Palutena and Medusa are both in there. I love that Simon Belmont is in there. I only wish that King Hippo was in there instead of an "appropriate female character from Krom's game". Why would you put her in if you don't even know who she is?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I love that Toad, Tingle, Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, and Dixie Kong are in there. I love that Palutena and Medusa are both in there. I love that Simon Belmont is in there. I only wish that King Hippo was in there instead of an "appropriate female character from Krom's game". Why would you put her in if you don't even know who she is?
That's what I said before.

This guy makes rosters with (Insert character here) instead of actually caring about the characters on the list.

If your going to make an unrealistic roster, include characters you actually like

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
My goodness will you people STOP with this Toad rubbish?! Seriously, since New Super Mario Bros. Wii Toad has been playable again. Does not matter what the circumstances are, or how you judge individual vs species. Point is he/she/it was jumping around and lugging enemies. That is the big difference between then and now. Just on that very game alone you can make draw enough moves in conjunction with his other appearances to have a decent moveset. Yeah, whether it is interesting or not is a different story. That is in the eye of each person. Personally, compared to a certain character, it cannot get much more boring.

Whoops, I think I'm late. :|

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
'Cause the series is popular as hell and is lacking a female rep.

That's pretty much it.
Series don't get represented with characters. Characters only represent themselves.

Also, if females were really needed, Brawl would have added Lyn or Michiah over Ike.

Also, Sakurai is not giving us 80-something characters. We'll be lucky to get 50-something characters.

Llumys

Smash Champion
That's what I said before.

This guy makes rosters with (Insert character here) instead of actually caring about the characters on the list.

If your going to make an unrealistic roster, include characters you actually like
If you're going to capitalize and punctuate, mind your homophones.

The game's not out yet, and I think it's very likely that it'll get two reps, and since there's already so many male reps, why not throw in a girl?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Five Fire Emblem reps? Yeah, not going to happen. I see the logic is this.... every single franchise needs to have a female character. :rolleyes:

So, where the hell is Jody Summer for F-Zero? Ribbon or Adeleine for Kirby? Olimar's Daughter for Pikmin? Amy Rose for Sonic? :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If you're going to capitalize and punctuate, mind your homophones.

The game's not out yet, and I think it's very likely that it'll get two reps, and since there's already so many male reps, why not throw in a girl?
You got a problem with gays?

Llumys

Smash Champion
LOL. I really hope you're kidding, PsychoIncarnate.

Either way, I realise that a roster so huge is probably unlikely, but people expected way more characters to be in Brawl, and Sakurai probably knows that. He might try to make it up to us hopefuls. :)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think he just has a problem with calling gays? Doesn't want to use up their precious minutes. And he doesn't want others to hear him speaking to them.

Prefers texting.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Just looked it up.

Starfy's series in Japan only(each game's total after their first year) total: 1,097,093. The game was also the highest selling game in North America, temporarily beating Mario Kart DS AND New Super Mario Bros.

Yeah, I highly expect Starfy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Llumys
Star Fox (aside from Star Fox, it's remake, and it's remake's remake) is dead, too. ;)

Also, I hope you aren't hoping for anywhere near half the size of that roster! 60% of that size would be good enough! :laugh:

@ Star
People can like Toad if they like.

However, calling Toad "very likely" or a "shoe-in" I agree is a bit of a stretch.

Personally, I think it is quite a bit more likely he won't be playable than will.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
My goodness will you people STOP with this Toad rubbish?! Seriously, since New Super Mario Bros. Wii Toad has been playable again. Does not matter what the circumstances are, or how you judge individual vs species. Point is he/she/it was jumping around and lugging enemies. That is the big difference between then and now. Just on that very game alone you can make draw enough moves in conjunction with his other appearances to have a decent moveset. Yeah, whether it is interesting or not is a different story. That is in the eye of each person. Personally, compared to a certain character, it cannot get much more boring.
I'm suddenly glad I've been busy all day if that's what the last 20 pages have been about.

If people are still going off on the Melee dojo thing, lets get rid of it now. IF it was true, it was talking about a possible Toad MOVESET, not whether or not he could fight. Double KO.

I'm still betting against him though. As Oasis has said, he's boring and what not. :p

Llumys

Smash Champion
Starfox is alive and well in Melee. ;)

And, PsychoIncarnate, I honestly hope you're kidding, but, just in case you're not:

You used "your", the possessive pronoun, when you should've used "you're", the contraction of you and are. Pay attention in school. Homophones. Not homophobes.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Starfox is alive and well in Melee. ;)

And, PsychoIncarnate, I honestly hope you're kidding, but, just in case you're not:

You used "your", the possessive pronoun, when you should've used "you're", the contraction of you and are. Pay attention in school. Homophones. Not homophobes.
Gay stuff doesn't contract me at all

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
F-Zero will rise again. Unlike Star Fox, it's quality has always remained high (although some of those Game Boy Advance games weren't as great as say X or GX).

Also Star Fox is not well. 90% of the sales of the series come from the same game being remade twice and the original version of said game.

If anything, the series is still in the gutters. The series needs a new game with a new plot that is well-received and sells well! :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I dunno why people are getting upset with the Toad support lately... it is as if they don't want Toad to be in the competition against Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario and they want Geno and Waluigi to be serious contenders for the coveted 5th Mario slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom