• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Brawl wasn't accessible?
SmashChu would say otherwise.

What I was getting at was making the game accessible without screwing over the veteran players like what Brawl did for Melee players. Look at Tekken 3D Prime Edition and what they intend for the execution shortcuts to be for, something Iwata liked.

L-Canceling would be fine if it was automatic. Except for a few cases, there's almost never a reason to not L-Cancel so it should be automatic from a strategic standpoint.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
See, thats the thing, unlike Mario Party, Smash actually had DECENT gameplay in previous installments, so it's not like we're being crazy and asking for something that's never happened.

And yeah, L-Canceling should just be automatic, but if the point was to SLOW THE GAME DOWN to make it accessible, wouldn't it have been nice to just throw it in for people who wanted it to play more intense?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Because Nintendo is pedant about their copyrights. Even if it was a parody.
Actually iirc the site was shutdown for the texture part. And nintendo let a fair amount of pokemon related stuff stay on the app store. Although its nothing huge like an emulation, you'd still think nintendo would have them removed.

:phone:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Starfy-The theme of the Starfy Dance(AKA Boss Defeated)
To me the more of an iconic "winning" theme of Starfy-series is the "Event Clear"-theme when you successfully clear some event or help someone in the stage in order to continue in the game. I totally had more nostalgia around that and it can be easily be made shorter than the Starfy Dance's music.

Tri-Hy: Me too, might be even gone much longer due school and such. And I'm quite sure there's gonna be so much to unlock...

Mario Party better be addicting now because I really ignored the last installments since 3.

EDIT: Guys Guys, New Nintendo Direct broadcast appears tonight!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/nintendo_direct/index.html

(-lUl-)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Also, Mac isn't Retro anymore due to the Wii game, and Takamaru isn't as shock-worthy due to appearing in Samurai Warriors 3.

So Duck Hunt Dog would be the best for shock value as well.
Hmm.. sounds right to me. Yeah, I agree with you there. He's the best choice for a retro newcomer with shock value. He is the ideal character to represent the Light Gun series. A hunting dog that uses ducks, clay pigeons, and the NES Zapper sounds fun and interesting compared to Wild Gunman and Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe (he's US only), generic humans who use real guns. Hogan's Alley loses due to having no characters. Yay, elimination process. Hey! That's how we got the Ice Climbers to represent the early Famicom games before the NES hit the American market with Super Mario Bros. in the first place.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I know why some things are done, but I don't agree with them. Stale moves was designed so to discourage spamming, but I think that leaves more problems than solutions.

On the other hand, there are things that I agree with. I agree as to why Melee wouldn't let you grab the edge with your back towards it, and I understand why that became possible in Brawl. Again, I don't like the reason behind it nor the idea of it.

There are other things in Smash that I like and actually wish they were in other fighting games sometimes like air dodging. So, as I've said to you several times, why don't you contribute to the gameplay discussions instead of ranting on any possible ideas? If I were to mention that this or that came from another non-fighting game (especially a Nintendo game) or something just made up, you'd probably be more open to it. Unfortunately, you're so stubborn in your pricky ways that you simply refuse to keep an open mind. I may have suggested traditional, high-low blocking, but I can see now that it simply wouldn't work.

It's one thing to shoot down something because the game's design wouldn't mesh well with it, but it's another to shoot down something for the sake of shooting down something.
The problem is you want to be right, not be smarter.

I don't contribute to the gameplay discussion because it's just you trying to say Smash should be more like other fighting games. I've rarely if ever seen you say Smash did something right or try to add things from another game. It's always about other fighting game. Which is why I wrote that. You are trying to shoehorn those elements into Smash and that Smash should be more like them. I always say it shouldn't because I did my homework and found out Smash is a more successful game. So yeah, I'm sure you have agreed with Smash, unfortunately, that never what I see. It's almost always something related to another fighting game. Heck, the last three post before I made that post were about fighting game, which no one else was talking about.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The problem is you want to be right, not be smarter.

I don't contribute to the gameplay discussion because it's just you trying to say Smash should be more like other fighting games. I've rarely if ever seen you say Smash did something right or try to add things from another game. It's always about other fighting game. Which is why I wrote that. You are trying to shoehorn those elements into Smash and that Smash should be more like them. I always say it shouldn't because I did my homework and found out Smash is a more successful game. So yeah, I'm sure you have agreed with Smash, unfortunately, that never what I see. It's almost always something related to another fighting game. Heck, the last three post before I made that post were about fighting game, which no one else was talking about.
So how to make Smash a fighting game that is not like other fighting games, then? There's always an element or another borrowed from other fighting games that is, or might be corporated into Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
L-Canceling in Brawl would've been the best thing ever. Just sayin.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What's the big deal of adding stuff similar to other fighters in Smash anyway? It'll always have a Smash feel to it, I sincerely doubt Smash ever will lose that feel. Besides, special moves, grabs, and aerial moves are in other fighters to. As well as super moves a la Final Smashes. I don't think new content which could improve the game should be ignored cause other fighters have similar things. Smash might be different, but its still a fighting game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What's the big deal of adding stuff similar to other fighters in Smash anyway? It'll always have a Smash feel to it, I sincerely doubt Smash ever will lose that feel. Besides, special moves, grabs, and aerial moves are in other fighters to. As well as super moves a la Final Smashes. I don't think new content which could improve the game should be ignored cause other fighters have similar things. Smash might be different, but its still a fighting game.

As I've said before, you'd have to make a completely different engine if you want it to behave like a traditional fighter in every aspect. Smash could add every single mechanic ever conceived in a fighting game, but it'd still be Smash at its core so long as it keeps its aspects that separate it from the others.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smaller versions of chain combos would be good I think. As for example: A,A,A, following up with a slight F Tilt for a sword combo similar in the 3D Zelda games for Link. Or A,A, followed up by a neutral B for Samus, as to follow up physical attacks with a beam or missile. It would add to the games debt, and represent some characters abilities better.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've suggested that in the past. Four-six input combos would be great for the ground game, especially if you add things like special canceling, jump canceling, dash canceling, etc.

D

Deleted member

Hmm.. sounds right to me. Yeah, I agree with you there. He's the best choice for a retro newcomer with shock value. He is the ideal character to represent the Light Gun series. A hunting dog that uses ducks, clay pigeons, and the NES Zapper sounds fun and interesting compared to Wild Gunman and Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe (he's US only), generic humans who use real guns. Hogan's Alley loses due to having no characters. Yay, elimination process. Hey! That's how we got the Ice Climbers to represent the early Famicom games before the NES hit the American market with Super Mario Bros. in the first place.

Changing what I say makes you weak. You MACH me laugh.
You aren't Strong like me and Oaisis.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I guess it's official, then.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/02/2...he-new-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-nintendo-3ds/

Seems he's referencing the Dojo. Check Sakurai's Twitter for corroboration.

It's time for the hammer and sickle, mentlegen. The time is now... and now, if this is true, then it's time to announce some feelings.

I want Victini for Sm4sh. I want to see it happen. With all the research I've done, it comes to this. Even though this is just the beggining... I have thoughts... and these thoughts are looking away from everything I want into the things that are more likely.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sakurai: "Hmmmmm, nah."

That's all it takes to crush dreams.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Pardon me, but didn't that quote say Mach Rider originally? :awesome:

Oh my gosh, Horsetail, that's the funniest picture I've seen in a while.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I guess it's official, then.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/02/2...he-new-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-nintendo-3ds/

Seems he's referencing the Dojo. Check Sakurai's Twitter for corroboration.

Sakurai tweeted earlier today that as part of the preliminary work into the new games, he's been browsing the meaty Smash Bros Dojo website. The page, previously available in multiple languages, once hosted a tonne of daily information, videos and teasers to build hype for the eventual release of Brawl on the Wii.
Hmmm... I wonder why? Not trying to insinuate anything, but I am actually curious why? Maybe it has been so long he is reminding himself what all was in the game?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So how to make Smash a fighting game that is not like other fighting games, then? There's always an element or another borrowed from other fighting games that is, or might be corporated into Smash.
That's how Smash Brothers is already. It's focus is on accessibility and replayability. The questions should be how do we expand this.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hmmm... I wonder why? Not trying to insinuate anything, but I am actually curious why? Maybe it has been so long he is reminding himself what all was in the game?
He's definitely revising the stuff he has done and what to improve or change around it. Never hurts to do so. ^_(-lml-)_^

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That's how Smash Brothers is already. It's focus is on accessibility and replayability. The questions should be how do we expand this.
Adding things like customizable palette swaps could help further that. Having a few more UNLOCKABLE costumes could as well. Nicer trophies like Melees would actually get me to USE the coins I win. Individual break the targets, board the platforms, race to the finish. More music, or better yet, an easier way to upload your OWN music. Expanding HEAVILY on stage builder, like giving the option to put trophies on the stage ect. No ssb original enemies, or significantly less. All of these things could help greatly.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Adding things like customizable palette swaps could help further that. Having a few more UNLOCKABLE costumes could as well. Nicer trophies like Melees would actually get me to USE the coins I win. Individual break the targets, board the platforms, race to the finish. More music, or better yet, an easier way to upload your OWN music. Expanding HEAVILY on stage builder, like giving the option to put trophies on the stage ect. No ssb original enemies, or significantly less. All of these things could help greatly.

I don't agree with all of them (costumes for instance), but your on the right track. A lot of those are good ideas that will keep players coming back. That's the idea.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't agree with all of them (costumes for instance), but your on the right track. A lot of those are good ideas that will keep players coming back. That's the idea.
Well I don't wanna sound like a costume nut, but I think Wario, Mario, Zelda, and a few others could justly have costumes. While I'm on this subject, I would like to point out not everyone should have a costume, and things like Krystal having her adventures wear as an alt costume is a costume, NOT Krystal having Katt as model swap. Things like that are ridiculous. Keep costumes, costumes. There is a difference between costumes, palette swaps, and model swaps. Katt as Krystal, Rosalina as Peach, and Silver as Sonic are not needed. The only model swap I think would be a good idea is Pichu, or Roy, if he isn't chosen over Krom.

D

Deleted member

I don't hope for TOO many costumes, as at least Wario made sense in that he has two of his own series with both having an iconic look.

The Zelda characters (aside from the Links) could easily get their past selves depending on the models used (Melee/OoT, Brawl/TP, etc.), though.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
If there are going to be more costume changes then Pallette swap characters will probably be added too. We already see this with Peach's Daisy coloration and Toon Link's NES colors. I don't think they will have anything crazy like a Katt model for Krystal but I'm sure we could have Peach looking like the other princesses.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I think Link will get his Skyward Sword look / update, thats it. And a Dark Link costume might be possible again, since they did it with Twilight Princess. I can only dream that they make Wolf Link apart from SS link like they did for the two representative series of TP Link and WW Link, and before that it was OT Link MM Link (or was he just young Link from OT?)... and finally before that Link was either OT or just link envision in SB.... I dunno, I just keep justifying it in my head, I'd really like to see Midna/WolfLink together in Smash, it'd be an interesting and fun moveset for sure.

Also I'm so glad to see that Sakurai is working on this again, I would love to see dojo updates again.

Who do you all think will be in the teaser trailer? Like they did with Snake and Sonic, they should keep them and do it the same way with two new third parties:

Mega Man X appears in much the same way as Sonic did; highly antiicpated, hush hushed, and comes out on dojo near end of updates.

And another third party. I think Sora, Spyro, Scorpion, Rayman, Pacman, and (the least likely) Banjo Kazooie are my pics... they should appear in the teaser like Snake did to make fans crap themselves....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom