• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Kuma

Those stages most certainly change the way the game is played (though exactly to what degree could likely be discussed), but I disagree that that is a bad thing.

Then again, I'm one of those who likes Brawl more than Melee (*audience gasps*). Probably because I approach Smash Bros. as less of a highly competitive fighter, and more of a "Whooooo, Nintendo Happy Fun Time Party and Everyone's Invited" attitude. One isn't better than the other, I just happen to adopt the latter.

I'll just agree to disagree. World peace, ftw. Or at least thread peace.

Also, I really like the idea of drop-through Tetronimo pieces.

@Dair

You just blew my mind.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't mind gimmicky stages with hazards. As long as you can still fight and it's you're not forced to play them when it matters(Single Player and Competitive). That's where I draw the line, and why I couldn't stand WarioWare or New Pork City. They are not BAD stages by any means. They're all great stages(except Hanenbow, that was too bland for me), but when I want to win and move on, I like player skill to be just a tad more important. Oh, Mario Bros. fits there too for annoying Single Player stages.

In multiplayer, however, every stage(save Hanenbow for the most part) is just great. I love doing all that. I do want a smaller list for competitive gameplay, there should be maybe about 30% of the stages, maybe a bit more, that are easy for that kind of gameplay. Since both are great to have fun with.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Those stages most certainly change the way the game is played (though exactly to what degree could likely be discussed), but I disagree that that is a bad thing.

Then again, I'm one of those who likes Brawl more than Melee (*audience gasps*). Probably because I approach Smash Bros. as less of a highly competitive fighter, and more of a "Whooooo, Nintendo Happy Fun Time Party and Everyone's Invited" attitude. One isn't better than the other, I just happen to adopt the latter.

I'll just agree to disagree. World peace, ftw. Or at least thread peace.
All we need is good balance and diversity. A little bit of the static stages mixed with the crazy, dynamic ones that are fun. The only problem I had with the stages in Brawl is they felt much smaller than the stages from previous games.

@disfunkshional:

That stage is pretty close to how I visualized the stage. Just with more going on in the background.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I only remember Rosalina Supporter from June when I use to lurk here before I actually joined I actually think he's still here.
Rosalina suporter is cool, though
Yes he was. ROSALINA FOR SMASH 4 BAYBEE! YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!
I do feel bad for that guy. I like Rosalina myself, but I also know that she's not the greatest idea for a playable character. There's always DLC, but there's also those surprises that you don't anticipate.

LC-DDM

Smash Journeyman
I can see it happening, but my concern is how do you make a Tetris stage that is not only faithful to the game, but not designed where it changes the gameplay drastically (i.e. Wario Ware, Mario Bros.) or causes a severe imbalance (Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2).
You can't have cake and eat it too. I mean, really, not everyone wants to play on an FD stage with only themed backgrounds (even if it was the main aspect that some custom stages took at some point in hacking)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
What's wrong with stages like that? I know you guys are the competitive scene and all, but those stages are fun. Warioware especially. I know they're harder to play on, but we need some of those like we need a few flat, basic competitive play stages.

Besides, Tetris lends itself to that kind of silly yet intense atmosphere. I imagine a stage where giant Tetris blocks fall (quite) slowly from above, and the players have to climb the tower as it is built/lines are cleared. There would have to be a way to make incidents of getting trapped in gaps low...
Uh... I'm probs the farthest thing from competitive. My favorite stages are Summit, WarioWare, Halberd, and Pictochat. I main G&W. I am most certainly not competitive. :laugh:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, I just discovered a glitch in Green Greens. I'll post a vid soon. It's a wall of explosive energy, apparently...

Why is there no Patrick Star Smiley!? This^ sentence NEEDS it :mad:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You can't have cake and eat it too. I mean, really, not everyone wants to play on an FD stage with only themed backgrounds (even if it was the main aspect that some custom stages took at some point in hacking)
Quoted for truth.

Hell, I'm extremely competitive and I still love 95% of the stages.(Not sure of Math, I love 40 of the 41)

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
All we need is good balance and diversity. A little bit of the static stages mixed with the crazy, dynamic ones that are fun. The only problem I had with the stages in Brawl is they felt much smaller than the stages from previous games.
That's another thing I was wondering how people around here felt about: non-static, but non-gimmicky stages (like Delfino Plaza). I know we'll be getting a Galaxy stage, but it would be an absolute shame if if just took place on either Rosalina's Observatory or Starship Mario. There are so many awesome galaxies that we could play on. My Galaxy stage concept works like a combination of Mushroomy Kingdom and Delfino Plaza: The player randomly appears on either Starship Mario or Rosalina's Observatory. Somehow, the area would be transported to various galaxies (which galaxies might appear depends on which area you start off in, with stages from Galaxy I appearing in the Observatory version, and stages from Galaxy II in the Starship Mario version).

The reason I like these stage concepts is because they allow us to see more of our favorite locations. I have another stage concept like this where the players travel the Unova region on a floating platform. You would travel over familiar locales and cities, stopping to fight on the five bridges of Unova (Skyarrow, Driftveil, Tubeline, Village, Marvelous).

Is the general consensus here that roaming stages like the those I've mentioned above are gimmicky? I think that as long as hazards are kept to a minimum, these stages are just a clever combination of midair stages and grounded stages.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So, I just discovered a glitch in Green Greens. I'll post a vid soon. It's a wall of explosive energy, apparently...

Why is there no Patrick Star Smiley!? This^ sentence NEEDS it :mad:
THIS... IS... PATRICK! :awesome:

@Star: Maybe item storage so you can potentially have two or more items(similar to NSMB was with items)?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, I'm gunna go add more movesets to my Blog, I suppose. Nothing of powerful interest here.

@Diddy's Request Idk how I can make a moveset on Impa. It'll be awhile before I make her a moveset mainly because idk what she can do that doesn't copy Shiek.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That's another thing I was wondering how people around here felt about: non-static, but non-gimmicky stages (like Delfino Plaza). I know we'll be getting a Galaxy stage, but it would be an absolute shame if if just took place on either Rosalina's Observatory or Starship Mario. There are so many awesome galaxies that we could play on. My Galaxy stage concept works like a combination of Mushroomy Kingdom and Delfino Plaza: The player randomly appears on either Starship Mario or Rosalina's Observatory. Somehow, the area would be transported to various galaxies (which galaxies might appear depends on which area you start off in, with stages from Galaxy I appearing in the Observatory version, and stages from Galaxy II in the Starship Mario version).

The reason I like these stage concepts is because they allow us to see more of our favorite locations. I have another stage concept like this where the players travel the Unova region on a floating platform. You would travel over familiar locales and cities, stopping to fight on the five bridges of Unova (Skyarrow, Driftveil, Tubeline, Village, Marvelous).

Is the general consensus here that roaming stages like the those I've mentioned above are gimmicky? I think that as long as hazards are kept to a minimum, these stages are just a clever combination of midair stages and grounded stages.
Perhaps you might like some of my stage concepts. What you describe is what I try to emulate in every stage I create. Dynamic and unique behavior without significantly altering the gameplay.

Just a few you can look over sometime.

Starship Mario
Saturn Valley/Cave of the Past
Skytown Elysia
Sunset Shore
Urban Ruins
Cookie Country
Gaur Plains
Tin Tower

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I like some of the ideas for the Wii U controller. My thinking is the screen might keep all of the HUD off screen. Nothing spectacular really. Either that or maybe the touch screen can be used for Smash attack shortcuts similarly to Super Street Fighter IV for the 3DS.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like most of the stages, but again, a lot of them had dumb elements that made them boring. Some of them (Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Hanebow) are just completely flawed from everything to the concept to the execution. Personally, I like stages like Poké Floats, Rainbow Ride/Cruise, and Mute City.

Also, I got a quintuple-double in NBA 2K, w00t!!! (here's the dictionary definition of that)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hmm, I love medium-gimmick stages too. Delfino Plaza, Pictochat, Rainbow Cruise, etc are a beast to me, heh. Delfino Plaza is the best example of how to do a stage which is fun and varying but not too gamebreaking. Warioware would've been awesome but the rewards are too overpowering or unfair.

:phone:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I like most of the stages, but again, a lot of them had dumb elements that made them boring. Some of them (Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Hanebow) are just completely flawed from everything to the concept to the execution. Personally, I like stages like Poké Floats, Rainbow Ride/Cruise, and Mute City.

Also, I got a quintuple-double in NBA 2K, w00t!!! (here's the dictionary definition of that)
YOU DARE TALK DOWN TO BRINSTAR DEPTHS?! YOU MUST DIE! :laugh:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I mean you got the B moves, so how about some FSes? mostly because I want sonic's FS nerfed so badI'm curous of what new ones would be like

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
15 characters, 15 Franchises. How will you split up the characters?

Rules:
  • Spread the characters as you please
  • You must have TWO shock/WTF characters (Like, Sheik/ZSS/PT and ROB/G&W)
  • You must have a new Weapon weidling character
  • A new heavy character
  • A new Light character
  • A character who brings a new gimmick (Peach, IC's, Diddy/Dixie, Olimar, ect)

Super Mario (1) Toad
Yoshi Island/Story - X
Wario Ware/Land (1) Captain Syrup
Donkey Kong (2) Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Legend Of Zelda (1) Ghirahim
Kirby Series - X
Pokemon (2) Mewtwo, Trainer N (Tini/Zoro/Gene)
Metroid (1) Ridley
StarFox (1) Krystal
F-Zero (1) Samurai Goroh
Fire Emblem (1) Roy
Mother - X
Kid Icarus (1) Palutena
Smaller Franchises (3) Little Mac, Miis, Takamaru
Third Party - X

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hmm, I love medium-gimmick stages too. Delfino Plaza, Pictochat, Rainbow Cruise, etc are a beast to me, heh. Delfino Plaza is the best example of how to do a stage which is fun and varying but not too gamebreaking. Warioware would've been awesome but the rewards are too overpowering or unfair.

For me I draw a definition between the two type of stages. I like to categorize them as "dynamic" and "gimmick driven". Examples.

Dynamic:

Delfino Plaza
Mushroomy Kingdom
Castle Siege
Yoshi's Island

Gimmick Driven:

75m
Mario Bros
Flat Zone 2
Spear Pillar

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
So none will care if I left?

*Sees that he didn't contribute much to the topic during last autumn*

I see it now...

Nah, you've made plenty of contributions, and honestly, I'd be sad if any of y'all left...

Best day of my life. :awesome:

I should probably send a friend request now. ;)

As fun as that would be, I just don't see it happening.
GLORIOUS FRIENDSHIP

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
For me I draw a definition between the two type of stages. I like to categorize them as "dynamic" and "gimmick driven". Examples.

Dynamic:

Delfino Plaza
Mushroomy Kingdom
Castle Siege
Yoshi's Island

Gimmick Driven:

75m
Mario Bros
Flat Zone 2
Spear Pillar
I dunno, I felt Mushroomy Kingdom's speed made it gimmicky (it would fit better in a inbetween sort of category). The same goes with Rumble Falls. :bee:
Nah, you've made plenty of contributions, and honestly, I'd be sad if any of y'all left...
Agreed. Horsetail is cool yo! :smirk:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
15 characters, 15 Franchises. How will you split up the characters?

Rules:
  • Spread the characters as you please
  • You must have TWO shock/WTF characters (Like, Sheik/ZSS/PT and ROB/G&W)
  • You must have a new Weapon weidling character
  • A new heavy character
  • A new Light character
  • A character who brings a new gimmick (Peach, IC's, Diddy/Dixie, Olimar, ect)

Super Mario (1) Toad
Yoshi Island/Story - X
Wario Ware/Land - X
Donkey Kong (2) Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Kirby Series - X
Pokemon (2) Mewtwo, Trainer N (Tini/Zoro/Gene)
Metroid (1) Ridley
StarFox (1) Krystal
F-Zero (1) Samurai Goroh
Fire Emblem (1) Roy
Mother - X
Kid Icarus (1) Palutena
Smaller Franchises (3) Little Mac, Miis, Takamaru
Third Party - X
Super Mario (2) Toad, Bowser. Jr
Yoshi Island/Story - X
Wario Ware/Land - X
Donkey Kong (1) King K. Rool
Kirby Series (1) Waddle Dee
Pokemon (2) Mewtwo, Zoroark
Metroid (1) Ridley
StarFox (1) Krystal
F-Zero (1) Samurai Goroh
Fire Emblem (1) Roy
Mother (1) Masked Man
Kid Icarus - X
Smaller Franchises (3) Little Mac, Saki, Mii
Third Party - X

I was tempted to cut Krystal, but she has grown on me lately. Mach Rider gets an honorable mention.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Aah, thanks Shortie and Metal,
(›-í/[]/ì-‹)

Anyway, we'll keep together until the release itself! Along the way we'll be the elite of SSB4 speculation when more people join here after the trailers and Dojo updates start to appear. He-yah!!!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Super Mario (2) Toad, Bowser. Jr
Yoshi Island/Story - X
Wario Ware/Land - X
Donkey Kong (1) King K. Rool
Kirby Series (1) Waddle Dee
Pokemon (2) Mewtwo, Zoroark
Metroid (1) Ridley
StarFox (1) Krystal
F-Zero (1) Samurai Goroh
Fire Emblem (1) Roy
Mother (1) Masked Man
Kid Icarus - X
Smaller Franchises (3) Little Mac, Saki, Mii
Third Party - X

I was tempted to cut Krystal, but she has grown on me lately. Mach Rider gets an honorable mention.
Who's your new playstyle/gimmick character? I guess Zoroark always could be. Roy, is boring, I wish I knew a way for him not to make me want to fall asleep. I would say add Chrome, but psh. Who likes him? And then Caeda and Micaiah kind of don't matter. :l

Lastly, I've grown on the idea of a non-traditional Trainer. I think it could be fun. Little a excessive, but fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom