• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Wouldn't it be funny if Charizard accidentally used Flame Thrower on the Pokemon Trainer in mid-celebration as his winning pose like in the anime. :cool:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ivysaur is the first character who fights on 4 legs. What's not to like?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Technically gorillas count as QUADRUPEDS since they knuckle-walk. And we've had DK from the start, so... :awesome:

@Overlord: Charmeleon has always been one of my most favorite pokeymanz. :3

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Why are 2nd stage evolution starter Pokemon so overshadowed by the others, anyway? It's always the 1st and last evolutions in the end that people cling to...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I only have two criticisms:

1. Star Fox getting four characters before Donkey Kong.
2. I think 58 characters is way too high for what we will likely see for Smash 4.

On the character selection screen itself, way the characters are organized seems to be a step down from Brawl (less column/row themes).

Anyway, overall its a very good roster.
Actually it is only supposed to be about 55 characters if you include transformations. The third party characters were only alternates for me to swap in if I were not striving for an Nintendo focused roster. The select screen actually does have an organization to it, but I did it in a way that makes the roster appear larger than it is. I actuallly do not like the way the characters were arranged in Brawl, similarly to how I do not like how in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 they arranged them. If a roster is too uniform it makes it appear smaller than it is.

This roster was not based on realism as it was a way for me to test public reaction.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Pokemon Trainer should have a black palette swap, where Charizard is shiny, Squirtle is wearing sunglasses, and Ivysaur... could be wilting or something. Or just simply be have a black "rose" on its back. That'd be pretty neat, actually. What with their symbolism of death and junk. Would be like saying "IT'S YOUR FUNERAL, BUDDY." Except it's funny because it's Ivysaur.

Ivysaur is balls.
Emosaur >o<

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why are 2nd stage evolution starter Pokemon so overshadowed by the others, anyway? It's always the 1st and last evolutions in the end that people cling to...
Pikachu and Jigglypuff are evolutions from Pichu and Igglybuff. But they wheren't since the start so...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is the Pokemon equivalent of the middle child syndrome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pikachu was a starter in Yellow, but Pichu wasn't around since then...

Always prefered Grovyle over Skeptile though. And Ivysaur over Venusaur. Prefer Pika and Jiggz over their pre's and final stages as well. Though I still think a Pichu / Pikachu / Raichu character idea is not all too bad.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Ah, I remember that now. That's another thing, I hate when they just add evolution stages in different gens to already established Pokes *cough* 4th gen *cough*

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
**** everyone yeah you ***** *** ***** I'm double posting what're gonna do about *****?

Hopefully this note will strike everyone away from the, "HEY X CHARACTER IS BETTER THAN Y, **** YOU" "DERP DERP NAH MANZ Y IS BETTER THAN X AND IRRELEVANT Z" "NO HAXZORS IAU:DKFIHYDSF:OUAHUA".

I hope smash 4 gives us awesome gamplay like this still, I just hope it can be sped up a little bit, less floatiness would help too. Make juggles more fexible and tech chasing should become important again. Momentum Canceling is cool in Brawl but only aerials should cancel it, not air dodges (so computer won't be ******** everytime they get hit). Maybe they could build an AI that mimics set gameplay, let you could record a match and set the game's AI to mimic said players movement (if possible). How nice would that be?

I got more but I want to see people's responses.

**** YOU GUYS I DIDNT DOUBLE POST NOW, oh well.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
First-stage favorites: Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Mudkip, Turtwig, Oshawott

Second-stage favorites: Wartortle, Croconaw, Grovyle, Monferno, Pignite

Third-stage favorites: Blastoise, Typhlosion, Blaziken, Empoleon, Serperior

:phone:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
:/

I'm really feelin' that last part about the AI though, Sora should really look into that. I hate crappy AI in fighting games

@Poppy- DAT MEGANIUM

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
UN, DEUX, TRES, PARTEZ!

Yeah, cool vid. Brawl hacks in general are quite amazing. Especially like the ones where they gave DK a Barrel Throw and a rolling move for the dash attack. And also saw one yesterday where Diddy could follow up with aerial moves after his Up B similar to Sonic.

Hopefully Sakurai took note of that.

Also very cool Rosalina alternate outfit for Peach.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Omg that Peach's turnip game is amazing.

Yeah all AI has sucked in Smash. I always would beat level 9's on my first try before I even started playing Smash competitively.

They should add more options in training mode though. Specifics like, dodge roll, spotdodge, and airdodge. It'll give players the option to learn how to punish the basic defensive moves in Smash. Oh and they should add a projectile option too for characters that have projectiles (spam projectiles) obviously. It'll teach people how to powershield obviously bad projectiles like PK Fire, Arrows, etc. and it will help even the most casual player to learn how to an approach a person who they would say "spam" projectiles.

Overall it'll just make the Smash community competitive or casual better.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yep, I always thought Smash's training mode was somewhat barebones compared to others. It has a few options, fo sho, but I'm not sure it actually can help players improve all that much, nah mean?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It's helped me a mad amount. Just set a level 9 computer to run and practice punishing its movements.

I'm pretty sure it has been correlating. Soon after I started practicing like that, I've been beating and/or getting closer to beating higher leveled players in and out of my state. Not to mention my last tournament placing was 4th.

So yeah, it helps. A lot.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Oh really? I've tried using it several times (trust me when I say several) but to no avail, maybe I'm just approaching it the wrong way.

I usually just practice on the Regular Melee/Brawl mode by setting the CPU to level 9 and going from there.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
UN, DEUX, TRES, PARTEZ!

Yeah, cool vid. Brawl hacks in general are quite amazing. Especially like the ones where they gave DK a Barrel Throw and a rolling move for the dash attack. And also saw one yesterday where Diddy could follow up with aerial moves after his Up B similar to Sonic.

Hopefully Sakurai took note of that.

Also very cool Rosalina alternate outfit for Peach.
Yeah, I don't usually play Brawl + or - or any other mechanic changing brawl hack But, they do have some very interesting things going on in those projects for sure.

My hacks are cosmetics like you saw it that video. Just textures and music

@Metal: Well idk how to practice for Melee as that game is not particularly my forte. I've dabble in and out of it. No good conculsion on how to practice by myself on that game though. On brawl is a different matter, do the level 9 and set it to run, punish it's movements. It'll be frustrating at first LOL, I know. And then you might want to run over the basics of your character and tighten up your own movements. But I'm not going to lie to you and say that Brawl/Melee is all about tight precise movements. You'll also have to learn how to pick up on people's patterns and how to read them, and learn which move is best for said situation.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Dang, I really hope Nintendo shows something from Super Smash Bros at E3. Microsoft and Sony are both set to reveal their next consoles at E3. This next E3 is going to be huge and I can only hope Nintendo has games worth showing. This is why I believe no matter what Nintendo is going to have a trailer at E3. If nothing else Nintendo will BS the entire thing through.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ranged A moves would be awesome though, especially for characters like Samus. I personally thought they should give Samus throws like Fox / Falco's back throw with the shooting. Would also work for her Up Throw perhaps. Her B, Charge Shot should also be usable as a spamable move much like Lucario's Aura Sphere at higher % I feel.
It wouldn't be the first time it's been done. We've got Snake's USmash as the first projectile attack with a normal input.

I'm entertained, please post more. Less floatiness would go a long way in improving the game. Along with what you said, I want a stronger ground game, and possibly Tekken-type combos. Maybe even some command normals. Like there's a j.3A input for a dive kick on Sheik or something.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Dang, I really hope Nintendo shows something from Super Smash Bros at E3. Microsoft and Sony are both set to reveal their next consoles at E3. This next E3 is going to be huge and I can only hope Nintendo has games worth showing. This is why I believe no matter what Nintendo is going to have a trailer at E3. If nothing else Nintendo will BS the entire thing through.
Whoa, whoa, hold up, FOR REAL?! I thought that was just a rumor, is that really gonna happen?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That part about Snake is true. And hopefully they'll do something for Samus's F Smash similar to that. Always thought that just ramming with her gun arm was kind of... stupid, if she could also fire it. Her Up Smash could need more range as well. And I definately agree that Smash could benefit of a better ground game! Much of the fighting always took place in the air.

Also might check out Training Mode a bit more after what Iblis said.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Whoa, whoa, hold up, FOR REAL?! I thought that was just a rumor, is that really gonna happen?!
Yeah it looks like it. Microsoft has been rumored to for a long time now, so they are not surprising. What is surprising is apparently now Sony is getting set to unveil their next console too. Even if their consoles are not set to be released until 2013 it is apparent they are trying to divert attention away from the Wii U.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That reminds me. I think the projectiles with less range should have more recovery than they do now. PK Fire is an obvious victim of this. It doesn't have a lot of range compared to Falco or Samus' projectiles and the reward's not that great for landing it.

I really do think projectiles as pokes is something that should be explored more.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Iblis- Yeah, I don't really wanna get into Melee all that much, Brawl is just fine. I've been trying to be at least semi-decent at it (I haven't played in it a little while), so I'm definitely gonna try and hit up all this advice when I get the chance. Good lookin' out for a brotha :cool:

@Star- Yeah that sounds pretty plausible, I think they're gonna need Smash and other big games to help keep attention towards it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is the Wii U also actually gonna be a stronger system than the Wii? Heard rumors of both sides that say yes, the others say it'll even be weaker than the Wii is.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I saw THAT coming. I agree, now Nintendo is going to be hard pressed not to pull something huge at the next E3.

I'm entertained, please post more. Less floatiness would go a long way in improving the game. Along with what you said, I want a stronger ground game, and possibly Tekken-type combos. Maybe even some command normals. Like there's a j.3A input for a dive kick on Sheik or something.
Well Sadly I'm not there due to my family pulling a fast one on me Smash's biggest tournament in history, Apex (has 400 players there, eat it Smashchu), is going on. All the biggest names are showing up. This is a match of Japan's second best player, Nietono, and one Europe's greatest, Mr.R. I really really wish I was there. I'll just be watching the stream then I guess. It's here on smashboards! Right at the top.

Inb4Smashchuhatethough

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mr. R is from my country..? Might see if I can come in contact with him...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is the Wii U also actually gonna be a stronger system than the Wii? Heard rumors of both sides that say yes, the others say it'll even be weaker than the Wii is.
Supposedly it's 150% more "powerful" than the PS3. It's kind of funny when people say "THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE." It's like. That's not how hardware works. PS3 uses tech that will be six years old by the time the WiiU is out. The tech it uses is also much cheaper now. So it's pretty easy to make something more powerful than it.

BUT OF COURSE 150% is a very small step considering it's only now catching up to what will be "last gen." So, at least in a sense it may be as powerful as the Wii compared to what the competitors will have against the WiiU? Who knows.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I'm more concerned about whether the Wii U will have sufficient storage space since it's supposed to have DLC/GameCube games for download.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Mr. R is from my country..? Might see if I can come in contact with him...
I think Netherlands is really active when it comes to smash.

Supposedly it's 150% more "powerful" than the PS3. It's kind of funny when people say "THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE." It's like. That's not how hardware works. PS3 uses tech that will be six years old by the time the WiiU is out. The tech it uses is also much cheaper now. So it's pretty easy to make something more powerful than it.

BUT OF COURSE 150% is a very small step considering it's only now catching up to what will be "last gen." So, at least in a sense it may be as powerful as the Wii compared to what the competitors will have against the WiiU? Who knows.
Pretty sure Microsoft and Sony, will do everything in their power to kill any hype Nintendo will/has gotten from the Wii U

Meanwhile, PC gamers will sit back and laugh because their graphics cards always outdo the console somehow...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's because PC users can just open up their PC and make an upgrade the moment some new STUFF comes out, instead of waiting five years. >:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Which is funny because all Nintendo has to do is say the words "Super Smash Bros" and they practically win E3. Nintendo is going to need a more impressive list of launch window games in order to keep the attention on them.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yes, this time that 3 word phrase won't work. Especially with those keeping up with smash's progression. Trailers or even a small little demo might help LOL. They're going to need more mainstream titles though or some huge 3rd party annocument. Maybe the return of megaman exclusive to Nintendo? Yeah that sounds spicy enough

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Launch games must be the worst thing for everyone involved. Developers have to rush making a game using tech they don't understand, and, well, consumers have to buy it unless they want to wait a year to use their new console.

Though that's probably an incredibly broad stroke when there are some major exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom