• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Sheik Tech, Vanish..... planking?

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Credit goes to Nietono for the discovery of this tech.

Izaw also deserves credit for covering this tech in a video found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2XjD32j2OM

Credit for the gifs goes to wasserwipf.

Here is an example of the different lengths of this tech.

And getting it off consistently.

Here's the inputs to perform this tech:
grab the ledge> drop> double jump> immediatly input Vanish> glide up and onto (well.. above) the stage> input the analog back towards the ledge> as soon as Sheik dissapears return the analog to its neutral state

So here is what's happening.
(This was tested on the 3DS using the I see you tech... aka, clicking on a characters portrait.)
When Sheik Vanish at an angle into the stage she will actually slide on the stage. The speed and distance of the slide is determined by the angle of Vanish. The goal is to use up the length of Vanish to make you reappear on the ledge.
Now because you are rubbing up against the ground the game registers that you landed on the stage. This is why you get invincibility frames.

So here are some disclaimers:

When you drop from the ledge you lose all invincibility from the ledge. If this did not happen I believe you would be able to stay invincible indefiantly.

You are vulnerable during the start up of Vanish. This is the only weakness to this tech.

Due to the nature of Vanish you can never ledge cancel vanish no matter what. Yes I did try platforms. No Palutena tricks for us.

This does not work on platforms. You will simply go right through the platform.

Yes you can rapid fire this like in Melee ( well, maybe not as fast as in Melee but close... ish). Have fun practicing not falling to your death.

You are not forced to do this at any exact location. You can do it right in front of the ledge where you would almost start leaning over the pit, under a platform at BF... in between there and at different heights.... you name it. If it is in reach of Vanish from the ledge you can return to the ledge and repeat the process.

What is this good for:

Planking

Mix ups

Use this when a foe is guarding the stage and does not expect Vanish.
This is simply another option. Granted it is also a very solid one, that can be punished if timed properly.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
He drops from the ledge, double jumps, vanishes right above the stage (even hitting an unaware Jigglypuff in the process) and reappears right at the ledge with invisibility frames....
He basically slides on the stage while "travelling" through the Vanish and grabs the ledge when the stage ends, which is why he gets the invincibility back, right?

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
i swear ive seen something like this before
its why i've been doing it with ledge jump and inputting vanish ~BF bottom platform height

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah it's pretty much the closest thing to a Vanish Stall in Smash 4. Usable, but I'm fairly certain it's not actually anything new...

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Yeah I think we've known about this for a while (I certainly have at least, someone posted a thread a while ago) but I've yet to actually see someone use it outside of False, and I only saw him use it in handwarmers lol

saviorslegacy

Well in that case.
"Hey guys here's a thing I haven't seen being used." "It can possibly be very useful and a fun tech to practice so have fun mixing it into your game if you haven't already."

Yeah my inability to keep updated is annoying. This is why I gave the match up thread to Tristan.

That being said, @ Wasserwipf Wasserwipf would you mind getting a gif or 2 of this? That way we can add it to the condominium. I'll edit this post giving credit were credit is due and then just keep a brief description. Does anyone know who used this first or who was the first one to post on it?

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
I cannot find it at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Nietono did this at Apex.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
Well in that case.
"Hey guys here's a thing I haven't seen being used." "It can possibly be very useful and a fun tech to practice so have fun mixing it into your game if you haven't already."

Yeah my inability to keep updated is annoying. This is why I gave the match up thread to Tristan.

That being said, @ Wasserwipf Wasserwipf would you mind getting a gif or 2 of this? That way we can add it to the condominium. I'll edit this post giving credit were credit is due and then just keep a brief description. Does anyone know who used this first or who was the first one to post on it?
Yes yes yes here I am. I'm sorry to not live on smashboards sadly and can't check every day :/ Well anyway, here you go:

Done twice in different ways (short and long?)

aaand showing off consitency.

Yes, this was btw used by nietono at Apex and izaw covered that in a video, but yea. Now its on the boards :)

saviorslegacy

Alright thank you wasserwipf.

Alright I updated the OP. I can't edit the title...... *sigh*

Last edited:
Top Bottom