• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Pr System For The Gta!!!

C 3

Smash Ace
Hello again,

I have done some research and found a fair and appropriate way to rank the dedicated smashers of the GTA. I shall explain:

- PR is determined by point system: Higher placing, more points, higher rank.

- 1st = 40
- 2nd = 25
- 3rd = 15
- 4th = 12
- 5th = 9
- 6th = 7
-7th = 5
-8th = 3
-9th = 2
-10th = 1
-11th and lower = try again next time!

- 8th/9th/10th will be determined by the opponent you lost to. Eg. Someone who lost to Raynex will be placed higher than someone who lost to D.B. (no insults implied)

- The Up & Coming list will basically be the people who aren't on the top 10, but have achieved points.

- The PR will only be 10 ppl.

- Doubles will NOT factor into the PR, tournaments outside of these biweeklies will effect the PR accordingly (not sure how at this moment).

- The last PR was very controversial, but this system (which is used in actual pro tournaments, not necessarily smash) SHOULD eliminate all debates of fairness.

- If you do well at 1 or 2 biweeklies but don't show up for long periods of time, you WILL lose your spot on the PR due to point system. No favouritism.

- If in the future you choose to be taken off the PR and decide to go back on, you will be rewarded your intital points.

- Low tier obviously does not affect the PR.

- "What if I have a death pool/bracket?" Simple answer: that sucks for you. Everyone has to face a tough opponent at some point, and if you had your pool/bracket changed because of your complaint, you'll be making someone else's life harder... which is unfair and selfish. If anything, this should be a wake up call to practice more and come out to more tournaments.

Eg. If I had to face Unknown/Raynex Round 1 winners/losers, for me that would be a death bracket, but for someone like Neo, Azen or PC, it wouldn't matter too much to them. Point is push yourself to improve and these match-ups won't be as bad.

- Brackets will be determined by overall records. If you sandbag, you will probably screw yourself over....... so sandbag at your own risk.

1.) All pool results will taken and put in order of best records (see example 1)

Example 1

C 3 14 - 0
Unknown 11 - 7
KribyKaze 11 - 8
Raynex 11 - 9
Coolhat 8 - 12
Europhoria 8 - 12
I.B. 8 - 12
Tyrantwolf 5 - 14

Ties will be determined by best 2/3's. 3-way ties or more will be determined by small round robins. The brackets will then be ordered like so:

C 3 (1st)
Tyrantwolf (8th)

KirbyKaze (3rd)
Europhoria (6th)

Raynex (4th)
Coolhat (5th)

Unknown (2nd)
I.B. (7th)

- Top spot is rewarded by having the player with the worst record first.

- I will be in charge of doing tallies/bracket/point system, but if a couple of people are interested in helping and can consistently be there to help then just le me know in one of the posts or PM me.

- The order of best/worst records will be done AFTER it's determined who makes it out of pools.

- Pool placings with uneven #'s will be determined by win %.

- Uneven pools will be treated equally. Yes, there is a chance of doing worse, but there is also a chance of doing better than the others. In the example above, I was 14 - 0 (lol) but D.B. could be 15 - 0 with a larger pool, which bumps me to 2nd.

- At the moment this is just a PR, but it can be a pokemon based one if people wish. If that's the case, I CALL HITMONLEE if I make it on. Those who make it on can let me know which pokemon they want. Please don't message me about which pokemon you want if you're not on the PR. You will be messaged informing you that you made it/been taken off.

Anything else, please ask.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I nominate myself for a panelist spot, lol.

The typos on this are hilarious.

KribyKaze LOL

and once againt, people fail to spell Mike's username right. lolpound3. Should be good.

We need a no QQ rule, plz.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Umm, what the hell? A pr based on a single tournament series on melee?
You realize this is nothing close to a real gta pr. But it would be perfect for a sort of, " Chilly Willy rankings".
I hate to be negative but like.... yeah.

(also you should have first place getting more than just 1 point more than second... winning the grand finals should have high worth.)

C 3

Smash Ace
Umm, what the hell? A pr based on a single tournament series on melee?
You realize this is nothing close to a real gta pr. But it would be perfect for a sort of, " Chilly Willy rankings".
I hate to be negative but like.... yeah.

(also you should have first place getting more than just 1 point more than second... winning the grand finals should have high worth.)

I'm open to changing things for the better good. How can you factor in tournaments outside of the biweeklies accordingly? Having just melee I realize wouldn't be a very good idea considering Brawl is out. What do you think would be a better way to make a PR?

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, I think that there should be a equation made for calculating the amount of points that each tournament should offer. Ofcourse, different equations will have to be made for a) Large Tournaments and b) Small tournaments (ie. bi-weeklies and smashfests)

A few variables that I can think of atm off the top of my head are:

1) Tournament Size = Variable A --> Number of competitors
2) Difficulty of Tournament Field = Variable B --> # of ranked competitors
^^^The above would be very very difficult to apply to large tournaments, so it will probably only be used for smaller ones.
3) Stake --> This could be applicable to larger tournaments with people coming in from all regions. The higher the stake (entry fee) the more points there are to earn. <<<I'm not sure about this one, but it seems like a option. = Variable C

I havn't had the chance to analyze things thorougly yet, but after weights are given to each variable, it should be relatively easy to designate a equation to find out the TOTAL # of points that a tournament should offer.

Next, there are 2 more things that need to be analyzed: 1) # of places to award points to and 2) # of points each place should receive.

I believe both of these should be dependent solely on Variable A or Tournament Size.
The first part is very easy to do and I suggest that:
# of places to award points to = A/10 + 4

Deciding # of points that each place receives will be a bit harder and will have to be subject to debate. We could use the "poker tournament" approach where first place receives a massive payout and % award decreases exponentially, but this method might not award "consistency" enough.

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
Ok, after some basic thought, I think I've got a rudimentary forumla for calculating total points available for a tournament.

Total points = A*10 - [(1/C)*100] + C

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if we should even include Variable B, since more competitors and higher stakes should mean that ranked people are going to show up anyways. This should only be applied to tournaments that happen within the GTA so that transportation problems wouldn't be a factor.

edit: Note that C should have a unit of $.

edit2: This might sound complicated, but once established, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for the tournament organizer to work out at the end of a tournament so the appropriate people can receive points.

edit3: Okay, after further thought I should introduce the constraint:
For A > 20, Total Points = A*10 - [(2/C)*100] + 2C

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
^ long *** double post. lol

anyways, that sounds like a good idea. Maybe not the greatest, but it's good
Ty, and yea, it was a pretty long post, lol.

I'll just sum up what little I actually have (I only wanted to post the logic first so people would see where I'm coming from).

For A ≤ 20, Total points = A*10 - [(1/C)*100] + C
For A > 20, Total points = A*10 - [(2/C)*100] +2C

# of places to award points to = 0.4A

^^^I actually like the above better since it scales with number of competitors better than the previous equation.

Edit: Actually, the 20% award structure used at pokerstars could be a nice guideline for awarding various places that people come in.
http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/rules/prize-structure/20/

C 3

Smash Ace
Ty, and yea, it was a pretty long post, lol.

I'll just sum up what little I actually have (I only wanted to post the logic first so people would see where I'm coming from).

For A ≤ 20, Total points = A*10 - [(1/C)*100] + C
For A > 20, Total points = A*10 - [(2/C)*100] +2C

# of places to award points to = 0.4A

^^^I actually like the above better since it scales with number of competitors better than the previous equation.

Edit: Actually, the 20% award structure used at pokerstars could be a nice guideline for awarding various places that people come in.
http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tournaments/rules/prize-structure/20/

I agree, the point system didn't have enough thought put into it. Thank you for your help, it will be adjusted accordingly.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
lol Tzunami was prepaired for a chance to tell us his ranking system XD, why don't we just make a melee one and brawl one based on the rules that C3 said just increase the points earned , 10th = 1 , 9th =3 8th = 5 etc.... just a thought

C 3

Smash Ace
I'm fine with that lol

I updated the point system............. what do u guys think? and how do we incorporate outside tournaments into these biweeklies? I heard that it's a bit late to make a melee PR......... thoughts?

Tzunami

Smash Cadet
lol,

I still think the equations work better since they can be applied to any tournament, even tournaments outside the province. But meh, it's probably just me pushing for my own ideas.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I'm fine with that lol

I updated the point system............. what do u guys think? and how do we incorporate outside tournaments into these biweeklies? I heard that it's a bit late to make a melee PR......... thoughts?
Says who? lol the game doesn't look like it's dying so why not eventually?

C 3

Smash Ace
Says who? lol the game doesn't look like it's dying so why not eventually?
Says Run. I will make a PR for both.

I love how you used my name D=

You're making me cry over here man XD

For that I promise you a good ****** in singles ^__^
If this post is not sarcastic, then i'm glad you loved it! lol if by "a good ****** in singles" you mean ****** ME, then.......... uh oh lol

C 3

Smash Ace
lol,

I still think the equations work better since they can be applied to any tournament, even tournaments outside the province. But meh, it's probably just me pushing for my own ideas.
You have every right to.

How do we incorporate tournaments outside of these biweeklies? or should we make this a "chilly willy PR?"

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
I think this pr would actually work well for melee rankings seeing as there arn't the amount of tournaments there used to be so it would encompass the scene pretty well. If this is where the melee is this is where the players will go so a numerical ranking would work.

As for brawl, there's going to be such a large amount of people/regions/scattered competition that these rankings wouldn't work half as well. Untill we have everyone coming down competing equally (and actually having the game) there's no point in thinking of a pr or its methods ( points vs panelist discussion)

C 3

Smash Ace
I think this pr would actually work well for melee rankings seeing as there arn't the amount of tournaments there used to be so it would encompass the scene pretty well. If this is where the melee is this is where the players will go so a numerical ranking would work.

As for brawl, there's going to be such a large amount of people/regions/scattered competition that these rankings wouldn't work half as well. Untill we have everyone coming down competing equally (and actually having the game) there's no point in thinking of a pr or its methods ( points vs panelist discussion)
Thanks for the input. You bring up good points. I will wait a while to make a brawl PR, but melee I will make a PR starting next biweekly.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
lol we implemented this exact system in Alberta a while ago, but our PR eventually failed.

Make sure you determine a concise and consistent comparison for tournament friendlies and tournament matches. There was quite a controversy in Central Canada over how much specific matches should matter. Make sure to address this early in the process.

C 3

Smash Ace
lol we implemented this exact system in Alberta a while ago, but our PR eventually failed.

Make sure you determine a concise and consistent comparison for tournament friendlies and tournament matches. There was quite a controversy in Central Canada over how much specific matches should matter. Make sure to address this early in the process.
Thanks a lot man, appreciate the advice. I wasn't planning of including friendlies into it at all though.

Top Bottom