• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Post! Wario and Shield Breaking/ Stabbing...

Goochf1111

Smash Cadet
Hey Warios!

I have been a quiet board reader for some time and i noticed the wario boards slowing down so i I thought i would spice it up a bit.....

What are Wario's best options for BREAKING AN OPPONENTS SHIELD or SHIELD STABBING?

This seems like a small thing to talk about, but lots of small things make greater big things for wario's metagame.

SO DISCUSS!

Goochf1111

Smash Cadet
So ill be first... the only time i have ever broken someones shield is if i have F-smashed or FULL Wafted on them when there shield was down. And honestly that doesnt happen very often.

It seems other characters (DK, marth) have moves specifically designed to wear down/ break shields.

Is the F-smash and Full waft the only moves u seen that can effectively waste some of your opponents shield?

Hope i can hear from the BIGS ( Phantom, 3GOD, etc) on their opinions.

Also, as far SHIELD STABBING- i think an obvious move is the oft-forgotton Down-tilt. If the opponents shield doesnt cover their toes i think it is OK to poke em! I wonder how exact the down tilt poke hitbox is on the shield?

also for stabbing is the falling clap, and the tilted F-tilt (this one is mighty slow though, but good for changeups)

Goochf1111

Smash Cadet
Ya i understand the situational-ness of it all, but that doesnt mean it never happens. I have definitely gotten into situations where there shield was pretty low, and they only thing i could think of is full waft.

Think of this as a really small wario intricacy to know, not some huge game breaker, so please dont post tons of WONT HAPPEN posts.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
You could just use chomp... and while you're at it, check out my bite guide!!!! But if you want to do it the hard way, dair works pretty well.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Shield Poking's the universal term, lol. Most common ways of diminishing the shield are fully charged waft, dair, and nair. Any multi-hit attacks work well.

With Wario, you won't be breaking shields as often.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Yeah, with the bite and his grab game, your best option at an opponent's shield is ignoring it.

Pretty much the only way I've broken a shield is with a full waft.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Well....this is one of my little trixies, but dash attack cancel up smash on someone's shield is great at poking/breaking.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, with the bite and his grab game, your best option at an opponent's shield is ignoring it.

Pretty much the only way I've broken a shield is with a full waft.
Same here, it starts with a full waft, then they go for a shieldgrab and forget that they're one fsmash away from a jab cancelled fsmash. Seriously. Nobody would expect you to jab.

Goochf1111

Smash Cadet
Well....this is one of my little trixies, but dash attack cancel up smash on someone's shield is great at poking/breaking.
Hey how exactly do you hit with the Dash attack and do an up Smash?

is it just doing a DACUS but hitting with the dash attack? I seem to only do this on accident.

--Also... I do realize that biting is 98% of the time the better thing to do rather than try to break their shield, But as a wario i would love to break more shields, and maybe even land some 3/4 wafts on some broken people.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Hey how exactly do you hit with the Dash attack and do an up Smash?

is it just doing a DACUS but hitting with the dash attack? I seem to only do this on accident.

--Also... I do realize that biting is 98% of the time the better thing to do rather than try to break their shield, But as a wario i would love to break more shields, and maybe even land some 3/4 wafts on some broken people.
If you are positioned close enough, and you DACUS, you will hit with both. If you are too far it will only DACUS.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah... if only it were that easy. Most pros won't mess up bad enough for you to break their shield. You will usually be able to chomp them (unless they quickly roll dodge away), and you might be able to get a few extra bites in since they're surprised. It could be a free 10-15% damage. Unless you're 100% sure you'll break it, it's too risky to try. If you fail, it could lead into a chaingrab/infinite.:(

Gichan

Smash Champion
There was another thread you made about the footstool. I was trying to play around with it but found I cannot nail a hit before they can shield again, too bad, cause it would have been awesome. But if I'm woring and you guys think there are options after the footstool, please tell as it is relatively easy to footstool out of shield.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
A fully charged Wario waft a shield on max size, but makes it very small. I can only break shields with Marth's neutral b.

Gichan

Smash Champion
wario for shield breaking is kidna useless, although he is awesome for poking shields, pressuring with dair to dair or nair is great. Even upB at times.

Top Bottom