• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Olimar Advanced Technique: Rainbow Dropping

Nothingman

Smash Cadet
so, you just launched your opponent out into the farthest horizontal reaches of the stage, but that ***ch can float, has 2 double jumps and a parasol so shes making it back. what do you do? well most people might throw in a taunt or to. DK and Samus might get a neutral B charge going.

but what does olimar do? he optimizes his army of course! in the land of smash, not all pikmin are created equal.

what are those yellow pikmin doing here? blue? pfff, we need purples, whites!! fighting charzard? gimme reds!
if you have the time why not? run over to the edge of the stage, move your crappy pikmin to the front and throw em to their deaths! pluck some more pikmin, get any purples? good! keep doing this until you have thrown away as many of the of the bad pikmin to replace as you have time for. why not be as ready as you can to take on you opponent as soon as he/shes back to the stage?

I actually am pretty sure we're going to see this kind of thing with the higher olimar metagamers quite a bit. Unless of course olimars plucking is really slow, and even then im sure we will see it so some degree.

I hearby name this technique rainbow dropping, after the colors of the pikmin, and the fact that you get rid of the undesired ones by dropping them to their doom.

Cinder

Smash Master
Or, if they're in range, you could hit your floating opponent...but if not, I guess that would be a good strategy...and Oli's plucking, from what we gather, will be really quick (as assumed based on the Dojo pics)...and yes, I am planning to be an Oli metagamer...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
In no way should those Pikmin be undesired. Each of them have effects and therefore, all of them are useful in some way. Some you will need to keep while other you will need to throw on opponents. Either way, they'll be useful

Pyr0

Smash Ace
PLEASE PLEASE stop "coining terms"

I think its pretty obvious that bad (if there are) will be thrown to make room for good (I predict Purple ones will be whored) pikmin.

Its not "Rainbow Dropping" its more like natural selection.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
PLEASE PLEASE stop "coining terms"

I think its pretty obvious that bad (if there are) will be thrown to make room for good (I predict Purple ones will be whored) pikmin.

Its not "Rainbow Dropping" its more like natural selection.

lol the natural selection thing made me chuckle for some reason. I'll be an Oli metagamer, and I plan on whoring purps (for obvious reasons) , whites and reds. If I can latch whites and reds on a jumping foe while they try to jump on, they'll take alot of damage before they get back on the stage.

In this instance, Ill launch my purp(s) and they'll be insta-KO'd (This depends on just HOW hard the Purps hit when thrown)

As for the yellows and blues, Ill probably just throw them, or keep a yellow to swing, to give my attacks electrical damage.

I think it would be best to keep at least one Pikmin to swing with.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
You know what, after a few months with the game I bet the purple pikmin will be the worst due to slow speed and small range when thrown. Simply because we predict they'll be the best.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
You know what, after a few months with the game I bet the purple pikmin will be the worst due to slow speed and small range when thrown. Simply because we predict they'll be the best.
small range is one of the things that makes them good...

I'll post a thread about it in a few hours.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Not really. That's the point of using the purple to edgeguard or for short ranged fighting. Seeing your opponent trying to get back on should make this easy, when opponents dash at you, this should make it easy too.

Florida

イーグランツ
...Isn't this common sense? Throw away your regular turnips until you get a stitch-face, or a bomb-omb. There's no need to grant this its own name.

Cinder

Smash Master
Well, not until the community agrees...you can't coin terms and expect the whole community to accept them...terms like Wavedashing came from the COMMUNITY, not just one person who said "this is now called Wavedashing cuz I said so"...we're a democratic community...not a group under your dictatorship...

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I'll have to take Pyro's stance. It's not anyting your really invented. It's just...not being an idiot and playing it smart. What you're saying is like telling people to charge DK's fist when there's nothing else to do.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
I'll have to take Pyro's stance. It's not anyting your really invented. It's just...not being an idiot and playing it smart. What you're saying is like telling people to charge DK's fist when there's nothing else to do.
Yes.
Nobody 'invented' anything.
It has been revealed to them... first.

But I mean, we don't even know if this technique will be effective in a 1 on 1 match.

It would be very faulty in a multiplayer match, for example teams tournys.

PIT_IS_BACK

Smash Journeyman
Well, not until the community agrees...you can't coin terms and expect the whole community to accept them...terms like Wavedashing came from the COMMUNITY, not just one person who said "this is now called Wavedashing cuz I said so"...we're a democratic community...not a group under your dictatorship...

what he said!

I think it's a bit ridiculous to formulate techniques based on how people are assuming Olimar's moves work, let alone coining silly terms for them. Then again, I despise all made-up Smash jargon. I actually had a kid try to argue that Fox's down special really was called 'shine'.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Hmm... Well I think nothingman is a smart guy, so I nominate him to be our dictator. I pity the foo who doubts ma rainbow dropping ability, community be ****ed.

Cinder

Smash Master
im not saying i invented this, people were going to do this regardless of whatever i posted

i just gave it a name
Once again:

Quoted as a reminder, because you obviously didn't read it the first time...

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
this is a cruel method of controlling pikmin colors. I know I wont do it cause why throw them away like that? it would be easier to just throw them directly onto your opponents, they will die if you leave them on him/her anyways.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
hey.

how about this,

we dont name ANYTHING until the game comes out.

we dont know how exactly it is that olimars speed or throwing range is.

so unless your sakurai, or an experienced olimar player,(both of which i doubt)

JUST.

DONT.

NAME.

ANYTHING.

:)

IllidR

Smash Champion
hey.

how about this,

JUST.

DONT.

NAME.

ANYTHING.

I'll name you! *Cracks Knuckles*

But in all seriousness, let's wait until the game comes out to determine what is and what isn't an advanced technique. All this seems to me now is throwing Pikmin which is an actual move.

Cinder

Smash Master
hey.

how about this,

JUST.

DONT.

NAME.

ANYTHING.

Thank you, Blu...I hope he gets the point after this...'cuz what I said apparently didn't get through to him...

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
Rightio, I'm sorry guys, In this thread, I called it 'Pikmin Purging'... I don't expect you to take the name or whatever, but I have covered some mechanics of it - as well as the speed of Plucking, terrain Plucking, etc - all of which is relevant.
Give it a read I guess - It's pretty long, but hopefully informative.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3693505

Sorry if it sounds like advertising >.<

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I would be wary because every time they get hit with a pikman, they can use another b up. :p

Well, only if theyre hit with a purple, the others simply latch on. Which, agai, makes me wonder if the Pikmin weigh them down at all...

courte

Smash Lord
i only support this because it's funny NESS FOR BRAWL!!

EDIT: also considered how everything else is based accurately off of its respective game...
Olimar can pluck and throw pikmin like a beast, and has no problem dealing with emotional loss

they will be some very speedy techniques...
then again for the only nintendo character to have a game based on absolute survival (pikmin 1, not 2) i think he'd do everything as fast and safe as possible

yea i put that there to invite flames... can you prove me wrong??
Samus: on a mission
Link: save all of hyrule
Captain Falcon = Playboy
Mario = Peach Whipped
Peach - Bored Princess

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I call this technique "This is how Olimar is probably designed to play, so naming a technique after his entire playstyle is kind of ridiculous".

It's fine that you point out how you think Olimar will work, and I'm quite sure that's how anyone planning on using him well WILL use him...but you're trying too hard to 'coin terms'.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I would be wary because every time they get hit with a pikman, they can use another b up. :p
Olimar for TEAMS!

Maybe DK didn't flinch because he's heavy? Or maybe because only certain Pikmin cause the opponent to flinch? In Olimar's Dojo profile, Diddy is most-certainly flinching.

Haha. In all seriousnes (and I know this goes against the whole 'dictatorship' ideal thingy), but whoever perfects the technique for tournament play usually gets to name it. Cactuar dash...Ink drop...money slide...thunders combo...ken combo...drop zone...I think I've made my point, no need to go on.

Basically, if this dude becomes the Olimar master then I will have no problem calling it whatever silly name he wants to give it...but dude, until that day, you're NOT allowed to name it.

Also, congradulations, Pikmen! Pikmin and Olimar has the most threads created of any character announced for Brawl. Don't let his well-deserved popularity fade.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Hurrah, hurrah.

Rhyme and UrajKingofDarkness win this thread!

Though, Rhyme, not to spoil your fun, but the Wolf board will soon take your shining trophy of hope from you. Sorry, pal.

ZelgadisA027123

Smash Cadet
OK GUISE, I just figured out the best metagame tech for P&O! So let's say you just launched your enemy WAY out to the very edges of the level, but that ****er can glide, so he's making it back. Here's what you do...

Turn to face your line of Pikmin.
Crouch.
Stand up.
Crouch again.
Repeat.

Your opponent will be horrified by your vile actions, and/or humiliated by your lack of worry about Pikmin Optimization!!! It's teh ultimate Strat!!

In all seriousness, if this technique (not the one I outlined) must be named, I think Pyr0 (/Darwin) was on the right track with Natural Selection. Survival of the fittest, *****!

Top Bottom