• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New (much easier to perform) method to perform DK's GFSC headbutt

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
God-is-my-rock reported about the GFSC, or ground foot stool combo. His thread on the topic can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197102

The technique allows DK to perform a grounded footstool jump into a headbutt, which becomes an inescapable combo. However, the problem with this technique is that it required a large amount of technical skill to perform. I've discovered a new controller configuration which makes this technique extremely simple to perform.

Here's what you do: First, assign one of the triggers (I use L personally) to jump. You'll need to become comfortable with using your trigger for jumping. Then, set the C-stick to specials (Commonly known as B-sticking). Using this controller configuration, the GFSC becomes extremely simple to do. Then, use the trigger to perform the footstool jump, and hit the B-stick backwards. You will slide backwards in the air (This is known as wave bouncing. It's the same technique which lucas mains use to abuse PK fire). This perfectly lines up the headbutt, and it will hit almost every time. This is much technically easier to perform than the technique described by god-is-my-rock.

Of course, there are downsides to this as well. B-sticking limits your options for DI as well as losing the function of the C-stick. But, it makes an powerful technique very simple to do, and promotes alternate controller schemes in the world of brawl.

I hope this is as helpful to other people as it has been to me.

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice
Interesting stuff. I tested a way to do this without changing your control configuration. It is difficult to pull off consistently but with practice it is doable.

Do a footstool jump off of someone grounded with Y (DI'ing left, for instance) and quickly slide your thumb to B while immediately changing to right for the Headbutt (same right thumb motion for multishining in Melee)

ook

Smash Lord
Interesting, but b-sticking is just... I dunno. C-sticking aerials is just too good to give up, not to mention the smashes. ;)

A couple days ago I found that if you set L (or R) to special, it's also a lot easier to do. Since you don't have to move your finger from the jump button to the special button. Plus, that way you don't have to give up the c-stick or any other controls that you would normally use. It's really helped for me, I can finally do it now lol

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I have yet to even try to do this even in a friendly. It just never comes to mind.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Ook, i've tried using the l-trigger for special. It's a bit easier than using B, but B-sticking is still over easier. You don't need to hit back and forth quickly with b-sticking, simply pressing back on the b-stick is enough. Still, i'll play around with it and see if getting over the learning curve of using it makes it worthwhile. Giving up the c-stick is hard to do.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ebonyks, we've known about b sticking it for a while, the problem is you lose c-sticked aerials and c sticked DI, meaning you lose anywhere from 20 to 40% off you stock length and you're worse in the air. I'd really prefer just learning to do it normally, maybe with R specials

magikguy

Smash Lord
well i cant change my control setting since , i use the c-stick for bair to space them well . I rather just learn it the hard way , it will pay off soon enough

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, B-sticking is out of the question for me. I've been trained to use the c-stick for aerials since the Melee days, and I need the DI. Just learn to do it the harder way. It feels pretty good when you pull it off.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I was practicing today with L set to special and it works really well. I can pull this off most of the time now, though I have some habits to break since I used to use both L and R for shield, I need to get used to always using R now.

I am still having trouble doing this out of the Dtilt trip though. Do you have to predict that they will trip and dash as soon as you tilt, or is there supposed to be time to do it after you have seen if they tripped or not? Doing the latter I haven't been able to land it.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
^^^
i know that there is an amount of time during a trip that a character cannot do anything, but it is small. my guess is you'd have to predict the trip

i still have trouble footstooling someone, i always do a second jump instead of a footstool.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
You have to predict the trip from the down tilt. If you wait even a little bit, they can just roll away before you footstool them.
I suppose you might have a little bit of time if you trip them when they are really close to you and at a low %.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
^^^^
no, thats why you have to do the footstool. they can act fast enough to move out of the way of the headbutt, but if you footstool them, there are a few frames where they cant move or put their shield up. thats what permits you to headbutt them into the ground.

Top Bottom