• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New move?

Bananija

Count of Trickery
All the great super smash bros games are unique fighting games. And for fight, the challengers need some move.
In super smash bros 64, they got their moveset

In super smash bros melee, they got a new move: the side special

In super smash bros brawl, they got they ultimate attack: the final smash

But what they will get in the next smash bros? I made this thread for give you a chance to say your idea.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
some people think we may get a Grab super, but being honest,not sure really....but I feel like it will be neat.

•Col•

Smash Champion
A grab special (Shield+Special Attack Button) or a Dash Special sound the most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get any new ones at all, though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I got some ideas, I got the ideas from S&P's intensity, so it's basically added hardcore bits.

NEW TECHNIQUES:

Air Grabs:
When you press the grab someone in the air, then you quickly go a direction (up, down, backwards, forward) to quickly toss an opponent at a very small distance (Reason is so you connect an attack with it). These don't help you meteor smash though. As for tether recoveries like Link's hookshot, you can actually lasso an opponent and swing them around for damage (you can damage them only if you swing them to the ground) instead of going a direction to toss an opponent. Think of Sheik's chain attack for example, it gives you a good idea. However it makes you vulnerable for other players to hit you.

Mini Jump:
When you successfully air grab and toss someone, you have the ability to jump again to make a quick attack. You can only do a mini jump only when you do an air grab. Once you use a mini jump, you can't air grab again to do another mini jump, you can't use your saved jumps again either.

All attacks can go at any angle:
Title explains, you can use any attack at any angle.
Example: when you use Metaknight's neutral standard attack, you can move at anywhere to get a better distance. When you look at characters shielding that are able to move their shields, you get the idea.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Fourth Taunt
(Maybe a costume change.
Like putting on shades or taking off hat until the fourth taunt is pressed again)

Ledge Special (Press B on Ledge)

Tag (For possible Tag Battles?)

Use Item (Freeing up the A button so you can still attack normally with certain items)

Release (Press Block when you grab an opponent to release them)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
A+B.
This would open up a veritable world of possibilities, anything from alternate basic jab (see Falcon example) to giving the much desired opportunity to show off some of the other items from the character's universe by incorporating them some small, tasteful way (Samus example), alternating their playstyle entirely (Link Example), or even just another simple button input for a 5th special move (Luigi example).
Link, who rarely uses things such as his Hammer, Power Bracers, Iron Boots, could have those slipped in here. I can really imagine a playstyle of Link revolving around a combination of Iron Boots and Power Bracers if some delegation likewise to my proposed attacks does not go to another player. Link, hitting the A+B, Dons his alternate set of items, particularly devoted to his heavier armament: Hammer, spinner top thingie, Ball and Chain, Iron Boots, Power Bracers, the Fairy Sword from MM/Giant's Dagger from OoT, what have you, the opportunities are endless. Ness, different set of PK moves - Mother/Earthbound fans help me out here -; Marth, alternates between stances and styles (please refer to ARMA (Association for Renaissance Martial Arts) to get a sense of the depth of stances and strikes that align under the banner of 'fencing', which is the style that Marth is mainly inspired by).
In addition to Captain Falcon's staple, awesome, and leisurely 'Gentleman', he can also preform the more close ranged 'Good Sir': A horizontal elbow swipe his forward left arm, a step forward and a vertical strike (to the collarbone to give you reference of angle) with the other, and then a tight uppercut with the alternating arm, the last giving a little bit of that 'B attack' flavor of Falcon with some fire effect and a 'HMPH' Kiai.
Samus has many items left untouched, I would personally love to see her Side-B replaced with her Speed Boost, and the A+B replaced with a toggle/switch between various different beams and missiles, or just transfer the missiles to A+B.
Luigi needs a button for his Poltergust, and I want at least one of the Mario Bros. to keep the tornado in their special, A+B could be an effective solution, this I feel is the most probable because every character in the cast can derive the same amount of depth with such simplicity, none would be SO underwhelmed because of the switching properties of others.
Edit:
Fourth Taunt
(Maybe a costume change.
Like putting on shades or taking off hat until the fourth taunt is pressed again)
Yes, so much yes, back and forward taunt should be different due to their static nature.
This is genius and hilarious in its possibilities.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
A+B.
This would open up a veritable world of possibilities, anything from alternate basic jab (see Falcon example) to giving the much desired opportunity to show off some of the other items from the character's universe by incorporating them some small, tasteful way (Samus example), alternating their playstyle entirely (Link Example), or even just another simple button input for a 5th special move (Luigi example).
Link, who rarely uses things such as his Hammer, Power Bracers, Iron Boots, could have those slipped in here. I can really imagine a playstyle of Link revolving around a combination of Iron Boots and Power Bracers if some delegation likewise to my proposed attacks does not go to another player. Link, hitting the A+B, Dons his alternate set of items, particularly devoted to his heavier armament: Hammer, spinner top thingie, Ball and Chain, Iron Boots, Power Bracers, the Fairy Sword from MM/Giant's Dagger from OoT, what have you, the opportunities are endless. Ness, different set of PK moves - Mother/Earthbound fans help me out here -; Marth, alternates between stances and styles (please refer to ARMA (Association for Renaissance Martial Arts) to get a sense of the depth of stances and strikes that align under the banner of 'fencing', which is the style that Marth is mainly inspired by).
In addition to Captain Falcon's staple, awesome, and leisurely 'Gentleman', he can also preform the more close ranged 'Good Sir': A horizontal elbow swipe his forward left arm, a step forward and a vertical strike (to the collarbone to give you reference of angle) with the other, and then a tight uppercut with the alternating arm, the last giving a little bit of that 'B attack' flavor of Falcon with some fire effect and a 'HMPH' Kiai.
Samus has many items left untouched, I would personally love to see her Side-B replaced with her Speed Boost, and the A+B replaced with a toggle/switch between various different beams and missiles, or just transfer the missiles to A+B.
Luigi needs a button for his Poltergust, and I want at least one of the Mario Bros. to keep the tornado in their special, A+B could be an effective solution, this I feel is the most probable because every character in the cast can derive the same amount of depth with such simplicity, none would be SO underwhelmed because of the switching properties of others.
Edit:
Yes, so much yes, back and forward taunt should be different due to their static nature.
This is genius and hilarious in its possibilities.
I find your A+B idea relly interesting.
Edit:
A+B + :ganondorf:= Sword

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I think A+B or Grab+B moves could work nicely.

Dash+B moves might get in the way of performing forward+B's in the heat of battle. Besides you couldn't use them in the air.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
They could make something crazy and add a completely new button. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale has three different buttons everyone with a different set of attack. Smash Bros. has basically two (smashes and specials). A third set could add a lot of new possibilities, but maybe it's too much.

Air grab must be in though, seems cool.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
They could make something crazy and add a completely new button. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale has three different buttons everyone with a different set of attack. Smash Bros. has basically two (smashes and specials). A third set could add a lot of new possibilities, but maybe it's too much.

Air grab must be in though, seems cool.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't really see another move being implemented myself, but I'm not against the idea at all. As someone had already pointed out A+B could open up a lot of possibilities. Granted if I ever got the chance to choose what new attacks can be introduced in the series it'd be something along the lines of a second kind of basic hit. I mostly say this as I feel that the X or Y should do something other than jump. Maybe A can be a light hit, while say, Y for instance can be a heavy attack. Like I said, I don't see it happening but i'm not against those kinds of ideas.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I don't really see the brawl formula in move sets changing. but...

Perhaps they'll look to build on team battles in this next game. Have some sort of work together special moves in game without being able to abuse them.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
That would be nice.
Thought, what if this time the game will percept even the diagonals (upforward and downforward) to generate more moves and specials?
Too radical?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I like the idea of B-grabs and A+B moves. I'm also somewhat partial to us getting more B-tilts, but that's not really a new move per say.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
A+B.
I think the idea of using A+B as a new special move is a good idea it still fits the simplistic controls that sakurai likes to strive for and at the same time it'll incorporate a new move into the characters move set and add a little more depth into fighting. I think having it completely change over a characters move set would be pushing it a little to far. Not to mention tossing on a whole lot more work for the developers coming up with alternate move sets balancing them I think it would be to much. But, the idea of A+B being another special move at our disposal I can get on board with that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Personally I think the A+B should be used to trigger the final smash so that if you wanna keep it you're not left without your projectile.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I still think a third attack button can work without making the games too deep. No need to have both X and Y as jump buttons anyway.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I still think a third attack button can work without making the games too deep. No need to have both X and Y as jump buttons anyway.
That is also true and given that we'll more than likely be using the gamepad pro. It won't really trow people off because we're all going to have to get used to a new controler now anyway lol. Unless that madcats adapter works with the new smash bros heh.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm thinking a special move while grabbing, and maybe a Shield special.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
A fifth special via A+B would be cool. I dunno how I'd feel about a third attack button though. Maybe if it was situational, like you use it to perform footstools or Final Smashes.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Combo attacks may be introduced in SSB4. For example: we have an extra button in the Wii U pro controller (which is similar to a 2nd z button). This button could function as a combo opener which can be mixed with other buttons including grabs. "special grabs" can happen as a result which allows you to use one of your special abilities to your opponent instead of a regular throw. I know, it's quite complex :lol:

Top Bottom