• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*NEW* More Females for Brawl thread Thread

D

Deleted member

i couldnt see lara being in this... but i guess... daisy, um...that ghost chick from paper mario and um... idk

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well, there's already a topic over this, you should search next time. :ohwell:

I don't really care about a character's gender, but more of how much they would bring to the game. I would think that Krystal would probably be my top choice.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
So far we have;

Peach
Zelda
Samus/Zamus

If the roster is going to be close to 40... then we're going to need around 10-20 females to make it somewhat even.

Any suggestions?
I recall me seeing another thread like this, but I could care less....seriously.

Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Krystal (Star Fox)
Din (Hyrulean God) (Legend of Zelda)
Veran (Legend of Zelda)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Impa (Legend of Zelda)
Birdo (Super Mario Bros)

ClamKillRoy

Smash Rookie
Well, myself being more of a Tales Studio fan, I wouldn't mind seeing some characters like Sheena Fujibayashi, Presea Combatir, Nanaly Filch, Chloe Valens, or even Tear Grants. Still, having more of an even gender wouldn't necessarily make the game better. Besides, we already have some great butt kicking females:

Zelda and Samus are the two that come immediately to mind. But I do agree, more female characters for those of us who prefer to play as females or just like to say, "See, there's girls in here!" to our girlfriends.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Well, there's already a topic over this, you should search next time. :ohwell:

I don't really care about a character's gender, but more of how much they would bring to the game. I would think that Krystal would probably be my top choice.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=107787 There's what you were talking about.
But the only one on the top of my head is Krystal.. don't need more then 7-8 female characters, that's about enough. Now to the pre-existing thread!

Edit: Reading the post for Sheena I want her too.. i loved Tales and she was great!

ClamKillRoy

Smash Rookie
At least I'm not the only one to see what Sheena would be like in Brawl. I even have a relative move set planned out for her:

Neutral A: A linkable seal attack x3. (As she did in the game)
Forward Tilt: A quicker, less powerful version of Neutral A, with more range
Forward Smash: Pyre Seal (A powerful attack with a smaller range but more knock back)
Down Tilt: Like Sheik's down tilt
Down Smash: A standard full (back and front) sweep attack
Up Tilt: Similar to Fox's up smash but with less power
Up Smash: (Still thinking, but I'd like a slower summon with more knock back like Ifrit)

The aerial attacks are a bit more tricky for Sheena. Thus, I've left this for more imaginative purposes.

Neutral B: Summon Fenrir (Fenrir was the assist boss for Celsius, possibly shoots out a blast of ice like Bowser does...such as the longer you have Fenrir summoned, the less effective the cold will be)
Forward B: Demon Seal (A more powerful version of Pyre Seal that recovers a bit of health when landing a successful blow. For game purposes, perhaps, 2-5%) High recoil/extremely slow recovery
Up B: Summon Corrine (Acts similar to the Ice Climbers up B)
Down B: Spirit Seal (Originally steals tech points, but for game purposes, acts like Ness' Psi Magnet)

Assist Trophy: Her Guardians that she uses during the game.
Super: Mana cannon. Oh yeah, those of you who have played Tales of Symphonia know what I'm talking about...

Too bad she's from Namco though...

Any thoughts?

NessPaulaJeffPoo

Smash Cadet
Paula from Earthbound would be a great addition. It would expand the Earthbound character roster and add a female character. She operates with magic which is also convinient, given only three other characters do. (ness, zelda, mewtwo)

ClamKillRoy

Smash Rookie
This has strayed a bit, haha. Anyway, Paula from Earthbound would be an interesting addition, but I think she'd be a lightweight. Well, that imperative. Though I agree that Earthbound should be expanded.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Micaiah(who i really want in), Krystal and Daisy.
Birdo has to be female, because in mario tennis yoshi and her seemed like they were hooking up.
Yoshi is genderless. Being a closely related species, I would assume Birdo is also.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
Birdo has never been referred to as specifically female, but i would rather see birdo as an AT anyways.

@hypeman: who is to say that even if yoshi and birdo were hookin up that they have to be of opposite genders? o_O

my favorite suggestions so far have been Lip, Krystal, and Paula. I am a big fan of trying to even out the roster with some more girls, but sadly there are so few decent ones :(

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
Well Lyndis for sure she's hawt and a blade lord and well...maybe Birdo is genderless but it's still fun for me to play on mushroom kingdom 2 stage as G&W and when she or it comes out to spit her eggs yell "Get back in the kitchen!!" *hits with spatula*

The Duck

Smash Champion
Birdo is not female.
There’s a lot to speak of on this matter of Birdo’s gender, hopefully this information can help.

Originally, Birdo was supposed to be officially male, and, wearing a bowtie, was what Nintendo officially described as a confused individual back in the days of Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods.

But as the Mario sports games (or at least the N64 Tennis game) came around, Birdo was described as female (a trait used in later games such as SSBM, according to the trophy), and even had a female voice in Mario Tennis, causing many to joke that the creature was Nintendo’s "first transsexual character". The fact that the official, original, Japanese name of this creature is ‘Catharine’ also points to a female character, but that does not certify it. Then, in Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour a few years after Mario Tennis, ‘her’ voice becomes more like that of a Shy Guy’s, and therefore was androgynous (gender-neutral/both male and female). Then I hear that in Mario Strikers Charged, Birdo is officially referred to as a HE again.

What happened here?

One explanation is that the word Birdo, like Yoshi, refers to both a character and a species. I hear that Birdo in SMB2 appeared in several colors, and each color of this boss attacked differently. I doubt that Birdo was one character that changed colors and battle tactics after each defeat, although such an ability is not exactly ruled out, either.

But then, watch the opening of Mario Power Tennis (as it can be easily accessed by searching for it on YouTube) and you will see multiple Birdos of different colors in different scenes. In fact, look at the left side of the first scene, and you’ll see *more than one Birdo along the sideline of the court* as Mario hits the ball. Despite the fact that non-main-story games in the Mario series can be discounted for storylines, it’s still official and very likely to be a depiction of the characters' recreational activities when Mario is not on a quest to save Peach/stop Bowser/what have you.

In the end, I’m assuming that for the appearance of multicolored Birdos in at least TWO games (I know that Mario Party 7 offers her as a playable character but I can't say whether others aren't seen in the background), Birdo is a species, and both males and females tend to dress alike. The one that is described as female and is said to have a relationship with Yoshi is therefore a different individual than the one(s) that appear in Mario Bros. 2 and Strikers Charged.

So what gender you see depends on the individual shown in the game…either a male or female may appear at any given differant game.

BUT in terms of what new female characters should appear in Brawl, Birdo could be a playable character, but for some reason I think would be unlikely. It has something to do with what is said about rather minor characters like Shyguys in the first page of that "Negative Nancies" topic stickied on this board. Daisy and especially Toadette would be even more handicapped due to that rule.

Krystal from the new Star Fox games at least has a larger chance of inclusion than Birdo would due to a lot of popularity with this character recently, but we can't say how many SF characters would be included. Fox is in, and Falco could return. I doubt that more than four characters from StarFox would be included as playable, so... if four make it in, Krystal and Wolf O'Donnel are likely to appear. If only three StarFox slots are available, decisions, decisions...what to do, Nintendo, put in a female character, or a villain? Or what if they included both and dropped Falco? Though I'd say that the latter choice seems unlikely.

It could go either way between the first two choices, but I think it would be better to have four SF characters, though it would be a stretch. Five would be too much considering the other franchises. Peppy and Slippy, while important and possible to be unique, would be a bit unfair because why should (what I'm assuming is) four potential slots ALL be covered by the main pilots? I guess they'd be Assist Trophies, which seems respectful enough. BUT if Krystal and/or Wolf were not added and 3 other StarFox slots (besides Fox himself) were open, there's Peppy and Slippy's spots right there, in all likelihood.

As for other female character's chances, I doubt they'll put more than a few. Dark Samus can be counted as a female since the official Metroid Prime 2 scans refer to it as female due to having Samus' (female human) DNA, and she was popular on polls. Doesn't set anything in stone, though.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
So far we have;

Peach
Zelda
Samus/Zamus

If the roster is going to be close to 40... then we're going to need around 10-20 females to make it somewhat even.

Any suggestions?
jiggly puff no?

lmao there simply arent enough female protagonists, lol @ you for wanting to push your affirmative action in a video game...

besides:
theres always the 'girly' options IE diddy, pichu, pikachu, kirby etc

Conker1

Smash Ace
Sorry, but having a ****** does not make one more qualified to be in Brawl than another character without one.

Stop trying to limit choices by saying things like "SSBB need moar villiins" or "SSBB neds mor females". No it just needs good characters. There shouldn't be such limitations. Nor should characters who don't deserve it get in for the sole reason that they are female and/or a villain, especially if it ends up with a more deserving character getting the boot.

No Krystal or Wolf for Brawl.

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
Female character-wise, I would be overjoyed if Colette or Presea from Tales of Symphonia were in as 3rd party characters, even though theres pretty much no chance for either of em.

goodkid

Smash Lord
I know Krystal has a good chance and maybe Lyn, but I don't know who else could make it. I don't too many Nintendo female reps of the top of my head.

I think there will be 40 + characters though, because since Brawl will be such a great game and has to compete with Halo 3, online is a given and this game has to have lots of unique characters, good 1 player mode(which it has), and multiplayer. Anything under 40 characters seems unlikely, with so many character suggestions. If you put it on paper, a character list 40 under seems very unlikely.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
Sorry, but having a ****** does not make one more qualified to be in Brawl than another character without one.

Stop trying to limit choices by saying things like "SSBB need moar villiins" or "SSBB neds mor females". No it just needs good characters. There shouldn't be such limitations. Nor should characters who don't deserve it get in for the sole reason that they are female and/or a villain, especially if it ends up with a more deserving character getting the boot.

No Krystal or Wolf for Brawl.
Such animosity, and no real argument. Even though Sakurai stated that he wanted to include more of both.

Noshiee

Smash Ace
don't forget a alternate female costume for Pokemon Trainer.
Impa is cool, but she is a sheika, she would be the same as sheik (who is a sheika disguise)...wait, now we know how to have sheik-like character as a separate character!!!, without being weird the fact of Sheik and Zelda in the same place; we could just give Zelda a better Down B and have Impa remplace Sheik as another character, she could have the same moveset as Sheik, but oviosly nerfed so she is not broken.
Also back to topic, that would be anopther female, yay! Impa for Brawl! :p
There is always Daisy, Kristal and that girl Lyn that everyone talks about too. lol

Top Bottom