• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mexico Thread LIKE THE DESERTS MISS THE RAIN

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
dang it my stick only has an xbox plug and a PS2 plug in :(
Ill bring it just in case (and because it owns all other sticks hard).

And Zack we'll see how good your Zangief is when I pound on the dude so bad the character is forced to officially retire from te series ;P

EDIT: I will need a ride that day tho. Anyone who can pick me up I will spot for gas money ^_^ and I'll teach them anything for fighting they want :)

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
@Kyle: I'll probably be able to give you a ride. That's assuming I even go though.

Also, what type of stick and buttons does your box have? American? Japanese?

Semitsu? Samwa?

Just curious.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
lol those neil jokes are actually pretty funny ^^

so steven i'll be at your fest too. street fighter seems really fun :lick:
I was watching that new show "important things with demetri martin" about timing. and a commercial came up about the new movie.. THERE'S A MOVIE FOR STREET FIGHTER??!?!? wtf has this world come to? I thought resident evil movies were enough. (talk about timing huh) it's coming out february 27 and here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRUjEhrias
it'll probably suck worse than the wolverine movie but whatever. hollywood never gets anything right.

btw, no, kyle. just no. having me massage you would be like you sucking on The Thing's dick

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Ya most of us have known about that movie for awhile. It's called Street Fighter: the legend of chun li

Anyways, you should see the old street fighter movie from back in the 90's. It's really terrible...but in a good way.

Edit: That trailer is garbage. The movie looks like crap. Almost as bad as Dragonball...almost.

Also, why you dissing on the wolverine movie? As far as I can tell that movie is going to be awesome.

Dekar173

Justice Man
@PX- we've only got 3 confirmed for WHOBO :[ I'll mm you when we arrive though ;o

@Zman- holy **** horrible camerawork, but amazing commentary.

@Davis- Ya they WERE boring as all ****, but, at least we caught the audio of Zman verbally blowing everyone.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Sad fact: I'm going to probably watch that movie (and the DB movie) because im a junkie like that haha. Besides the Vega in that looked pretty sick. Overall its probably going to suck.

On the topic of movies Push was pretty good for a movie thats been done 100 times. They managed to make it somewhat creative.

Demetri martin has been my favorite comic for years now haha. I wish I had time to watch his show tho :(

And thanks Paul. I'll just show you the stick Saturday

EDIT: Wang Chung got beaten up on by a Captain Falcon!? *whistles* what next two Jigglypuffs are going to throw them around and 6 stock them? hahaha

EDIT 2: of all the things I've seen and heard about Genesis, this right here makes me want to go (why I dont know) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTflvxzpkc&feature=related

tw1n

Smash Champion
Simply put, Dragon Ball Evolution and Street fighter the movie = fail on a whole new epic level.
Wolverine actually looks awesome. Side note: Who has watched Wolverine vs The Hulk? Its made of win.

Wow Kyle. Genesis actually looks bad ***. Maybe we should try making that one lol.

SF4 is going to kick *** too. I just hope I can play the game when it comes out. Kyle, you should see about competing in the gamestop tourney. They may not require a pre order much like they did with Gears 2 and Brawl (but both of those did fail nonetheless...)

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
haha yeah dave I think we actually should go to Genesis. Start saving now. And I'll chck into the SF4 tourney at gamestop. Maybe I can win something :p I call shotgun on the one right here on Coors and Paseo XP
No fair...I was going to go to that one lol :laugh:

The only problem with the gamestop tournaments is that you have to use a 360 controller :mad:

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
The gamestop tournies are on the same day as my fest. I debated moving it, but decided **** the gamestop tournies.

You have to use a 360 pad.
The prize for winning the local tournies is just a head band and entry into the district tourney, which you must provide your own travel accomodations for.
The prize for winning the district tourney is something just as worthless as the headband, and entry into the regional, which, again, you must provide your own travel accomodations for.
Repeat until nationals, for which the prize is an SFIV arcade cabinet. Sure, that's an awesome prize, but all things considered, the tourney just is not worth it unless you can guarantee you'll win.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
but i want a headband >.>

lol nah playing with you guys would be too worth it.

And dont worry Neil I'll make Z eat his words *glares*
although you are pretty gay. but you;re my twin brothers younger brother so I'll defend ya (wait what does that make us?)

haha no im just really pumped to get to play SF again haha

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace

Twin_A

Smash Champion
hmm sounds interesting.

And someone show me how to get to Augusts so I can go pound the living sin out of him (and maybe squeeze in a few rounds of SFIV too) :p

haha no anyways Steven I may check out that show since its only 5 bucks in. But then again college has been keeping me pretty occupied >.<

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Ya most of us have known about that movie for awhile. It's called Street Fighter: the legend of chun li

Anyways, you should see the old street fighter movie from back in the 90's. It's really terrible...but in a good way.

Edit: That trailer is garbage. The movie looks like crap. Almost as bad as Dragonball...almost.

Also, why you dissing on the wolverine movie? As far as I can tell that movie is going to be awesome.
I think we should all go to opening day of SFIV. It would be so much fun.

Dragonball is awesome.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
The dragonball anime was great but the movie, well im going to wait to watch it to see if its good or bad. For all we know its going to be the best movie ever made haha.

Blah I hate studying for accounting >.>

So what are the plans for whobo? Where are we meeting and when Friday morning are we leaving?

Dekar173

Justice Man
Wolverine vs The Hulk was amazingly epic. Awesomely done too.

Meeting up... Who knows where. I was thinking that once we had a few more confirmed (if that's happening) we'd get all of that figured out. We'll be switching off driving I'd assume, as well as having a setup in the vehicle, so we don't die of omgay boredom.

Overgames

Smash Rookie
I made you a sig Davis, lol.

I didn't add a gaussian blur and lighten it like my sora one though.... <.<
I fail at text too, that's why I just slap "O"s and emblems on my personal sigs.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Meeting up... Who knows where. I was thinking that once we had a few more confirmed (if that's happening) we'd get all of that figured out. We'll be switching off driving I'd assume, as well as having a setup in the vehicle, so we don't die of omgay boredom.
lewis was saying he wants to go. how reliable he is I dont know. I'll just keep pressing for him to save his money and request those days off of work.

And the drive is roughly 870 miles and 14 hours worth. So I'm assuming we're going to make it in 12 depending on the car we take (if I drive at least) but we should look at leaving early as sin in the morning so we can miss the morning rush hour and get to a good start. plus we'll be in in time for some smashing the night before. I'm almost tempted to say leave at 2 or 3 am. I dont mind driving a decent chunk of the way too as long as I have a good navigator.

EDIT:
Tournament Schedule

Friday
3 pm - Capcom vs. SNK 2
4 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2v2 ISP
5 pm - Marvel vs Capcom 2
6 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1 Pools
8 pm - Street Fighter HD Remix
9 pm - Pokemon Battle Revolution

Saturday
11 am - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2v2
2 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1
4 pm - Naruto EX 3
5 pm - SoulCalibur 4 National Qualifier
6 pm - Fate: Unlimited Codes
7 pm - DBZ Tenkaichi 3
8 pm - Mortal Kombat vs DC
9 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Crews

Sunday
12 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1 ISP
2 pm - Street Fighter 3rd Strike
ok so we may have to leave Thursday night in which case I might not get off work until 10:15 or so (free food tho and snacks for the trip :D)

And heres a map with directions there if we were to leave from my place (dunno were we are leaving from but this is just for an idea) http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl as we all could have assumed its basically interstate the entire ways there. So that should make the drive a little more bearable.

So if we leave at 11 at night with the three of us then we can rotate with one guy sleeping and two awake. We'll arrive around 1 in the afternoon down there which gives us time to sleep and practice for pools. Plus driving during the night we wont have to deal with gay traffic. Opinions?

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Link to GENESIS thread for David: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211141

Yeah I have to go to Genesis haha. Even Isai is coming out to compete and that dude retired.

heres a map to the city that Genesis is going to be in ( Antioch, CA). if we're going to this you guys we need to be planning a lot more. The vehicles we can take, etc. the more that go the cheaper it will be (we can fit 10 of us into one hotel room :p)
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

tw1n

Smash Champion
It looks tempting. But I'll just have to see how much it'll cost. Lol maybe I'll enter the melee one and see how bad I get owned by pros... or maybe get bracket loved and play complete melee idiots for the first few rounds (...0% chance huh)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
The dragonball anime was great but the movie, well im going to wait to watch it to see if its good or bad. For all we know its going to be the best movie ever made haha.

Blah I hate studying for accounting >.>

So what are the plans for whobo? Where are we meeting and when Friday morning are we leaving?
I think it looks pretty sweet.

Also, Paul, Bulma DID use guns. So stfu.

I made you a sig Davis, lol.

I didn't add a gaussian blur and lighten it like my sora one though.... <.<
I fail at text too, that's why I just slap "O"s and emblems on my personal sigs.
I think it looks better without the blur anyways. Thanks, man.

lewis was saying he wants to go. how reliable he is I dont know. I'll just keep pressing for him to save his money and request those days off of work.

And the drive is roughly 870 miles and 14 hours worth. So I'm assuming we're going to make it in 12 depending on the car we take (if I drive at least) but we should look at leaving early as sin in the morning so we can miss the morning rush hour and get to a good start. plus we'll be in in time for some smashing the night before. I'm almost tempted to say leave at 2 or 3 am. I dont mind driving a decent chunk of the way too as long as I have a good navigator.

EDIT:

ok so we may have to leave Thursday night in which case I might not get off work until 10:15 or so (free food tho and snacks for the trip :D)

And heres a map with directions there if we were to leave from my place (dunno were we are leaving from but this is just for an idea) http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl as we all could have assumed its basically interstate the entire ways there. So that should make the drive a little more bearable.

So if we leave at 11 at night with the three of us then we can rotate with one guy sleeping and two awake. We'll arrive around 1 in the afternoon down there which gives us time to sleep and practice for pools. Plus driving during the night we wont have to deal with gay traffic. Opinions?
It's only like an eight hour drive if I remember correctly. I don't see why we can't leave at like 8 AM or something. I haven't planned WHOBO yet. Only Genesis.

Link to GENESIS thread for David: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211141

Yeah I have to go to Genesis haha. Even Isai is coming out to compete and that dude retired.

heres a map to the city that Genesis is going to be in ( Antioch, CA). if we're going to this you guys we need to be planning a lot more. The vehicles we can take, etc. the more that go the cheaper it will be (we can fit 10 of us into one hotel room :p)
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
**** you. I plan like crazy for this **** and no one even pays attention. This is why I always get ****ing pissed off and stop planning things. Let me repost this **** for the third time:

What: Genesis - A Three Day Brawl and Melee tournament - The biggest event in Smash history - Est. $10,000+ Pot

Where: Antioch, California

When: July 10th, 11th, and 12th. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Who: Brought to you by D.B.R.

Why: Quite possibly the largest event in Smash history across the entire globe. With six months left until actual tournament time there are over 250 people registered including participants from NY, FL, VA, MI, WA, TX, Mexico, Japan, Europe, Canada, and more. It would be ridiculous not to attend.

How: With dedication and organization.

Mode of Transportation: There are three methods of transportation to be considered. The first, flying. The second, the Smash Bus. The third, driving which I will cover in the "Gas" section.

Flying - I've done a fair amount of research on this and I can say that this isn't going to happen. I was able to locate some fairly cheap round trip flights around $200. However, after using five different airline sites and looking at three different airports, anything within that price range has already been sold out. Everything else is $300 or more.

Smash Bus - For those of you who don't know what the Smash Bus is it is a bus starting up in New York that is going to travel south into Florida and then head west through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona into Antioch, California. Tickets are somewhere around $200-$250 and other than that not many more details are available other than that free food and drink are provided on the bus along with several setups for friendlies during the entire bus ride. Two issues. There are a limited number of tickets and unless they decide to take multiple buses the occupancy cap. on the bus is fifty persons. This coupled with how close New Mexico is to Antioch, I believe, make this option obsolete. However, I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

Gas: Driving - Classic. I mentioned in an earlier post about purchasing gas here early and placing them in gas cans for use of the trip. After doing some mild research I discovered that at cheapest within the last 48 hours gas prices in California range from $1.80 to $1.90. However, average and highest gas prices found within the last 36 hours yield an average gas price of about $2.30 or higher. It is basically the same in Arizona. Also, the higher gas prices tend to be from the more popular gas stations such as Chevron, Shell, and Texaco, or in otherwords, the more readily available and easy to find gas stations. I think we will save a lot of money by buying as much gas as we can here.

Round trip is aproximately 2,200 miles with 16 hours to get there and 16 hours to get back. Quite a road trip if I do say so myself. As I've stated several times before I think we should take two vans or three cars. Regardless of how many vehicles we do take, gas should be split individually per vehicle, so I will figure gas for a van and a car.

I believe Steven's car gets about 42 MPG on the highway and mine somewhere around 38. I'm going to be not-so-generous and estimate miles per gallon on a car at 35. If anything that should also account for the small amount of in town driving. I will assume gas prices at $2.00 a gallon. With these numbers it would take about 63 gallons of gas to get there and back, so we will round that to $130 in gas. Hmm... that doesn't seem right. Someone correct me if it isn't. Anyways, so per individual (assuming five persons a vehicle) it would cost about $30 for gas. Much better than a $200 plane ticket...

For a van it would all be the same, except I'm going to assume that the van would get, oh, five miles per gallon lesson? That would be 30 MPG. That comes out to about 74 gallons of gas which is $150. How many people would vit in a van? Seven? Eight? We'll say seven so that would be roughly $25 per individual in a seven person van. The plus side about a van is the extra space provided and the possibility of having a setup in the vehicle as we travel with which to play on. Plus, it reduces the number of vehicles we have to worry about.

I think that driving is the best choice here. I'm listening to opinions and other options, though. Now, assuming we go with the driving option, there is the problem of the sixteen hour drive? Do we do that in one shot or do we want to stop somewhere? I want to hear some opinions on this before I do any research. One shot could save us money, however I bet we could probably find housing at some half way point. Though if we do decide to stop that will extend our five day trip already into a seven day trip or so. I'm thinking we could do half way on the way to Antioch and find housing and then on the return trip suck it up and go it all in one day. Again, I think this really needs passenger and participant input on this. What are your thoughts on this?

Housing: I think finding housing at this large of a tournament will be next to impossible for several reasons. The first being how close we are located to California. NY, FL, and out of nation players will be given priority over us. Basically, our priority is low. This is also coupled with the finite amount of housing space avaliable. I think we'll have to look into a motel/hotel on this one. Before I do any extensive research on prices, though, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Food: Well, food can be expensive. Really, I think any extra expenses should fall into this category. The basic amount necessary to survive without being hungry all the time would be $10 a day, I would think. A more comfortable amount would be $20. We could also plan on bringing some food with us if we have extra space in the vans/cars.

Tournament Expenses: Assuming you wanted to enter every raffle, attend every tournament, and obtain every priviledge or memorbilia, it would cost anywhere from $75-$100. $75 is to enter every tournament and if you get that package everything else basically comes free with that.

So, this (not including hotel fees) puts this trip at roughly (assuming $100 for five days of food [which is not necessary]) at $200. Comfort zone would probably be $250. Again, this is without housing costs.

Tournament thread for more information: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211141

tl;dr (did I do that right?) READ THE WHOLE **** POST!
I'm going to go play Spore. I'm sick.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Davis, I love you. You are an amazing planner.

I love you.(but not in a gay way like neil is thinking.)

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Hakuna Matata
What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata
Ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata

Jordan249

Smash Rookie
Hakuna Matata
What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata
Ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata
I'll **** your mother in her sleep.

No but on a more serious note, I'm coming to WHOBO.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Dang Davis my hats off to you my friend. Alright lets start seeing if we cant find a van. I also see it this way, looking around at the hotels and rates we can assume roughly $50 a night. Now lets assume we take ten smashers from this fine state and put all of us in one room. Now lets also assume we're staying there for three nights. Thats 150 in tota for 3 nights waving taxes and extras. divide that by ten and we're looking at 15 per person. Now lets say we split that up into two rooms which is more reasonable. Thats 30 for hotel total. 40 tops. And Davis I wasnt trying to steal your thunder here. I just got really pumped at the thought and now im working towards actually getting this thing going.

Now Davis for my next song Parody, I bring you a little Bon Jovi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ0Yd-Pburs
or Atreyu if you want to listen to that version instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szjv8DjD1rE

Smashed from the start, and you're to blame,
Davis you gave me, a good game.

A quick money match is what you sell,
Promised me winnings then put me through hell,
Wolfs combos have got a hold on me,
When trapped in his mindgames you can't break free.

Woah last stocks almost gone
Woah Theres no where to run
No one can save me
This match is done

Combo'd from the start
And you're to blame
You gave me a good game
I played my best and I lost my fame
You owned me that game
Yeah you owned me... that game

Your evil smile on your lips
Blood red controller on my fingertips
Top pro is your dream, Im just a passerby
The very first stock was my first stock goodbye

Woah the rematch is on
Woah theres no where to run
No one can save me
My Diddy is done

Killed at the start
And no johns to blame
You gave me a good game
I played my best and still you're insane
Two wins to none this game
Kash you gave me a good game

EDIT: Hey Kash I just noticed Taj and some other AZ kids are going to Genesis. Want me to take some boxing gloves down there when we go and challenge them for ya :p

Alright everyone interested in going to genesis and even those that don't want to go, David has a request for you guys. He wants to go but wont be able to afford it (im kind of in the same boat but I think i'll be able to manage). he's asking for any small donations you can give to help him towards his "David Really Really Really Wants To Go To Genesis Fund" (not the name he gave it but I think it's catchy). Anyone who donates will be given fighting and training lessons on a weekly basis if you would like. For those who don't know David and I are well trained in MMA, wrestling, Tae Kwon Do, and we're decent at boxing and pretty good with submissions and locking. We trained Kash on a random night and he should be able to tell you it was beneficial. If you do and we all do go down there and box people at Genesis like they did at AZOneTwo then at least you'll be ready and have fun. Even 5 dollars from each of you will make a huge difference here. Thanks you guys :D

tw1n

Smash Champion
Well Kyle summed it up decently for me. But Kash would probably tell you it was more beneficial that night and for a few weeks. Now if he got to train with us even once a week on a regular basis he'd be owning anyone right now lol.

But as he said for me, I really want to go but there is not a chance in hell I'll be able to fork out $100+ for it. So I'm pretty much going to be selling myself/taking donations. If anyone wants fighting/training lessons or just wants to work out I'm all for it. You want me to tutor you in any class I will... except chemistry. **** chemistry.

I may also be auctioning off various weapons that I know. Mostly knives. Here's to hoping I can make it.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I just participated in a SFIV tournament yesterday and all I can say is WOW!

This game is amazing. I definitely like it a lot more than HDR and it's 100x better than Brawl.

@Zack: Assuming you haven't played the game yet, you'll be very pleased with Zangeif. He's a monster in this game.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Paul- I heard gief is top 3 in sf4 so i'm looking foward to playing him. then i remember that i have to do 360s instead of hcf for his specials and 360s on pads are almost as gay as Neil. how does rufus handle? he looks pretty dope to.

speaking of which neil are you not doing tennis this year? i didn't see you at the assembly nor did they mention your name for tennis.

David- i'd love to help you out bro but i'm having trouble getting money for genesis, so you'll get no donations from me :(

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
:( :( :( Zach you're making me feel bad :( :( :(

But yes, I'm afraid I cannot do tennis this year. I'm too busy realizing my life goals (medicine). I'm definitely going to be #1 for tennis at sandia in senior year though :) :) :)

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
Rufus is actually surprisingly good. He has solid mixups and good combos. What hurts him the most though is he doesn't have a projectile.

Seriously though, Gief seemed overly good. His grabs have great range and they come out surprisingly fast. His anti-aerial game is also surprisingly good.

Top Bottom