• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New* Meta Knight Stage Discussion/ Guide

Q77

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight Stage Discussion

Table of Contents
I. Introduction
II. Discussion Rules and Format
III. Stages

I-Introduction
Hey everyone, my name is Q77, but just call me Q. Although my post count is nigh, I have been following the forums (mostly Meta Knight) for over a year. The current (if you can even call that) Stage Discussion by Infinity is essentially dead and has not been updated for a LONG time. My goal is to create a complete stage guide of all legal stages, showing WHY each stage is either good or bad for Meta Knight. I will start my guide by taking information on the stages from other threads and combining them, to create a foundation for the guide. I will credit everyone who posts information, or who I have taken previous posted information from.

II-Discussion Rules and Format

Rules:

1- Please keep discussions Stage related. This can be about a character you should counter pick this against, or about what parts of the stage MK excels at. Just keep things relatively on topic

2- No Spam

3- No Flaming, please respond to someone you disagree with appropriately, without the use of cursing or bashing. Please explain why you disagree, and what your thoughts are.

4- Please post information or input on stages with little information. If Smashville has a ton of information post something about another stage to help the guide grow.

Format:

1- Stages will be graded on a non-numbers based scale. It will graded with a general summary of the pros and cons, and who you should take or avoid to this stage. This is because I feel that it is better to know WHY the stage is good over THAT the stage is good.

2- Specific things I am looking for include: Pros, Cons, Recovery, Gimping, Air and Ground game, Camping, Counter-picking, Striking, Banning and Sharking. Those are the few things I thought of at the top of my head, feel free to add anything that is not included above.

3- This will be an open discussion, meaning I don't care what stages you comment on. If everyone is talking about Battlefield, and you have information on Brinstar you would like to share please post it anyways.

4- I will be constantly looking for quality posts to include in the guide. You will be credited for the information you give.

III-Stages

Stage Order
1. Yoshi's Island Brawl
2. Battlefield
3. Smashville
4. Final Destination
5. Lylat Cruise
6. Halberd
7. Pokemon Stadium 1
8. Castle Siege
9. Defino Plaza
10. Brinstar
11. Frigate Orpheon
12. Rainbow Cruise
13. Jungle Japes
14. Pirate Ship
15. PictoChat
16. Pokemon Stadium 2
17. Norfair
18. Luigi's Manison
19. Distant Planet
20. Green Greens
21. Yoshi's Island Melee
22. Port Town Aero Drive

Note: The Stage Summaries are mostly of my analysis. They will be continuously updated when people post more information.

Yoshi's Island

Stage Summary

Yoshi's Island is, in my opinion, one of Meta Knights worse neutrals, for the sole purpose that it provides services to many other characters except Meta Knight. It is slightly harder to gimp at this stage because of the ghosts, and the fact that there is no way under the stage. Both of these elements help many of Meta Knights opponents. However, being a small stage, Meta Knight can play very aggressive. The tilting stage, platform, and maybe the shy guys can interfere with opponents projectiles. Overall, I'd say that there are better neutrals to pick, but Meta Knight is not hurt directly by the stage.

Battlefield

Stage Summary

Battlefield is quite a good stage for Meta Knight. I feel that the platforms work to his advantage due to the fact that if you can get underneath an opponent, you can make it really hard for them to get back to the main level of the stage. Meta Knight can easily fly under the stage if he must, which also means you can force your opponent under the stage if you get the chance. The edges of this stage are outward curves, helping your opponent recover. Grounded shuttle loops from the main level underneath your opponent on the platforms work excellent, and you can usually make it back to the main level with a quick diving glide cancel. I'm still unsure if this, or Smashville is his best neutral.

Smashville

Stage Summary
Smashville is a smaller version of Final Destination with a few minor differences. First of all, there in a moving platform ranging from the far left to the far right. This very key to helping recoveries, camping and avoiding camping. The other important difference is that other character's recoveries will be helped by the edges of the stage not having the gimping lips that stages such as Lylat and Final Destination have. Meta Knight has a few advantages at this stage. He has the ability to fly under the stage. The stage is small, which will help aggressive players keep the pressure on their opponent. Meta Knight can Dair Stage Spike if he hits them into the diagonal edges of the stage. He can also use many of his aerials to force an opponent completely under the stage, resulting in a kill. Overall, a good neutral stage for Meta Knight.

Player Input

Dojo
MK excels here. Getting an opponent off the edge is key to getting kills and racking extra damage. You have a small enough stage, in Smashville, to do this with ease if you know what you're doing. You're allowed enough room to manuever around, and do your thing as well while not off stage.

The moving platform doesn't really hinder his ability to gimp either. You can usually read when an opponent is going to attempt to make it to the platform rather then the ledge, and react accordingly. Most characters have a good bit of lag behind they landing when they recover so you have plenty of time to throw in a shuttle loop or nair to throw them back off again. It also has opportunities to take away from those that like to release grab like Marth and Yoshi.

But even with this, some characters may outclass him here. Diddy and Snake, in particular, can take alot of control on this stage with a flat terrain and a single moving platform, and it may not always be the best stage to take them to, and possibly a few others. There's usually a better option, but it's still definitely one of his better stages to rely on.

dr.mario.guy

Smashville is probably his best neutral. Easy to recover under it if you have to, platform helps MK against campy characters and helps him a lot vs IC's. The platforms also help his gimping game a lot more than they help people recover vs him; you can stand on the platform and drop/jump to where you need to where as a stage like FD you would have to jump a bit further out there and try to judge them well without being able to preserve jumps.

Only person I could see MK not taking to this stage would be Snake, and even then I don't think Snake dominates MK on this stage or anything.

Final Destination

Stage Summary

Final Destination is likely Meta Knight's worst neutral. It's so long and open and gives enemies and easy way to escape the aggression and pressure that MK like to put on his opponents. A few things that MK has going for him include, flying under the stage and the lips on the edges. Many characters get gimped by the lips such as D3, while MK will not. This would be the best stage to strike against just about everyone. It does very little to help MK and gives great advantages to characters like Diddy and ICs. Try to avoid it.

Player Input

Babar-Thorbald

FD:
40/100
FD is mk's worst stage.
Basically, mk is good with small stages, stages with platforms or moving stages...
FD is the exact opposite of that.
I personnaly usually ban this stage if I don't know who my oponnent picks as a character, and I almost always ban it anyway.
There is not that much things to say about it: flat stage, weird edges and the fact that you can glide from under is pretty much everything.

Ban this stage:
(beside "always")

-Snake
Snakes can screw you easily there... His grenade/c4 etc... game is just too good there.
-Falco
Seriously, you don't want to fight him there... The only stage in which he could **** you harder is Jungle Japes. No platform, flat stage... That mean easy laser spam and chaingrab.
Don't even try to play there.
-Olimar
Basically, you don't wanna fight a camper in FD.

Use this stage as a counterpick against:
No one, basically, you would do better in any other stage .

Lylat Cruise

Stage Summary

Lylat Cruise is one a good stage for MK. If it is a neutral, you would be wise to try to play on it. If it is a CP, you have better options. Lylat Cruise's main platform tilts, which can hinder some projectiles. The 3 platforms also play to your advantage of being really aggressive in forcing them into the air. The BEST part of this stage is the gimp factor. So many characters get gimped by the stage due to the flat underside and the fact that the stage tilts occasionally. However, like always, MK will not get gimped unless he is severely under the stage. Getting your opponent offstage and getting that cheap kill is why this stage is quite good.

Halberd

Stage Summary

Meta Knight's own stage provides him with a few key advantages. Meta Knight can shark through the main platform (the one that flies around) and pressure that way. Be careful though, when using your UpB, don't glide attack unless you are 100% over the platform, otherwise you will fall special to your doom. When you land on the Halberd, camping enemies have more advantages. The stage is long and a platform can provide cover. A cool thing I like to do (Very situational), is when the laser is pointing at me I like to force my opponent offstage quickly, and get the laser to shoot where he needs to go in order to recover. This stage has its pros and cons but you shouldn't fare to badly here.

Counterpicks/ Bans

I don't think it is appropriate to ban Halberd ever, as I think MK will have more trouble in all match-ups on other stages. However, in match-ups with great killers off the top, you may wan to strike the stage if it is considered a neutral. I like to counterpick this stage against people with bad recoveries, but no way to camp you on the Halberd (Such as Cpt. Falcon), although there is usually a better stage to CP to. This is however inconsequential as MK has a huge advantage in many of these match-ups regardless of the stage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ban Halberd against snake, and olimar (probably more characters but cant think off the top of my head) because of snakes utilt killing at 100% and olimars usmash killing at about 110 (not sure). halberd is normally a good map for metaknight but at the same time it has a low ceiling which can be very annoying, especially against snake, olimar and other characters that kill well off the top.

-IIIIRICK

Pokemon Stadium 1

Castle Siege

Delfino Plaza

Stage Summary

What Meta Knight Player doesn't LOVE Delfino Plaza. This stage is so amazing that my summary will only scratch the surface. One of the best parts of the main stage is that you can "shark", or attack from underneath the main stage. You can also do this on the Golden Building with the sun. There are walls on a few of the transformations allowing you to do a Dtilt lock while the transition is active. If your opponent gets caught in water, you can Dair, Nair, or Nado them to keep the there. Meta Knight may not want to take characters with chaingrabs on him due to multiple walkoffs. Characters with spikes ruin his sharking game and can punish Meta Knight hard if he gets in the water. Overall a very nice stage for Meta Knight, but not his best stage.

Player Input

.Tero
I don't care what stage next ...

Summary of Delfino Plaza:

General Stuff about the Stage:
There are 9 places where the moving platform can land
5 of the 9 places have water
7 walkoff edges in 4 places
8 walls in 4 places

Pros:
Mk can Dtilt lock against Walls in 7 walls in 4 places
You can jump through the stage from below, meaning you can attack your opponent from everywhere, you can suprise him with shuttle loop and you can start uair strings from below.
You can rack up % quick if you catch your opponent in the water (Dair/Nair)
MK can control the stage almost all the time
Dair is extremely good against opponents trying to attack from below
Platform on the moving part of the stage can help you with SL/Nado/Combos
You can get some early Dair kills at a few places
Characters with teather recovery can't stage spike you on the moving platform
Music is kickass, lol

Cons:
Characters with grab release chaingrabs can kill you at transformations with Walkoff edges
Transformations can save your opponents from gimps
Water can save your opponents from gimps

Good posts and more information:
I_Am_Infinity
Babar-Thorbald

Good Video to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzCHwiSroU

Good CP Stage against:
- Snake
- Falco
- Diddy
- ZSS
- Marth

Brinstar

Stage Summary

There seems to be somewhat of a unanimous decision that Brinstar is one of, if not the BEST stage for Meta Knight. Brinstar is good for so many reasons. It is the most awkward stage in the game due to the lava hazards, uneven main level and the main stage can break in half. In other words, it's constantly changing. MK adapts to change well. Meta Knight can shark under the stage, and apply constant pressure due to the small stage size. It is really hard to camp here as you can hide behind the fleshy rope which deflects most projectiles, meanwhile the lava forces your opponent out of his comfort zone instantly giving MK stage control. The best part of this stage IMO is the horizontal kill zone. Shuttle Loop and Fair gimps kill at retardedly low percentages. On paper this stage may seem good, but practically it is amazing because it completely screws with your opponents game whether it be projectile camping, Chaingrabs (IC!!) or a strong spacing game. This stage is a dream for MK.

As I eavesdropped on the Olimar boards (cuz I secondary him), I came across this video that I think can visually show why MK can beast here. Credit to Rich Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXYmIiPKRo4&NR=1

Frigate Orpheon

Stage Summary

Frigate Orpheon is an odd stage imo. It has to cycles much like Cast Siege has 3, except there is no transition, it just flips. The first transition is rather small and the right edge cannot be grabbed. This is perfect for gimping as enemies with tether recoveries are screwed when you knock them off stage that way. The 2nd transition is much like Halberd, except with moving platforms on the lower sides. These can aid in your opponents recoveries which is unfortunate. It is also easier to camp this portion of the stage. MK can glide under the stage if necessary. I would consider counter picking this stage against ZSS, Olimar, or anyone else who I'm not thinking off that you can gimp off the side of the stage. IMO, Rainbow Cruise is a better option, but that's just me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edits/ Updates

May 5th 2010- Added Brinstar Stage Summary
May 9th 2010- Added Brinstar Video, and Frigate Orpheon Stage Summary

Q77

Smash Apprentice
Rainbow Cruise

Stage Summary

YAY! Rainbow Cruise is arguably Meta Knight's best stage that your opponent wont ban if Brinstar is legal. This stage is just fantastic. On the ship, you can dtilt lock on the wall to the right. Other than that, you can pressure the platforms due to your opponent playing keep away from the wall. On the left, the rising platforms just play into MK's play style perfectly. You can use your fantastic aerial pressure to keep them jumping around. Also, SL and Dsmash kill at retardedly low percents off the left side. On the upper section, past the swinging platform, play somewhat cautiously as you can be killed VERY early off the top. When the camera begins to drop back to the ship, on the wall to your left, you can Dtilt lock there into an Utilt kill of the top. Enemies with tether recoveries or just bad recoveries are severely hurt here, as 90% of the ledges have no edge to grab. Even generally good recoveries like Diddy Kong, are a challenge for them to get back to the stage. Campy characters have a rough time here as well. Falco's laser spam and Diddy's banana game are almost useless here. IC's can only Chaingrab realistically on the ship. The only opponents that may give you trouble here are G&W and possibly Kirby. There may be others, but thats who I can think off currently. All in all, fantastic MK stage.

Jungle Japes

Stage Summary

God I hate this stage SO MUCH. I don't think it's THAT bad, but I still hate it. As I'm sure you know, the water sucks. A lot. It ruins gimp kills that MK would normally have in the bag, and lets them recover. MK's great recovery is thrown out of the game. It is really hard to get kills here that are not water related. The ceiling on this stage is absurdly high, which isn't bad b/c MK doesn't get most of his kills off of the top anyways. However, I feel that it is hard to get kills off the side too b/c the platforms on the sides are really hard to play off of. You'll have to use your air game here, preferably Nair or Fair. May I say that you should NEVER take Falco here, unless you want to get owned badly. His CG into water spike is quite deadly and he can spam lasers like no one's business. The few characters that you MAY want to take here are Olimar (water kills Pikmin and basically destroys his recovery) and anyone who RELIES of off killing off the top. Gross stage.

Pirate Ship

Stage Summary

This is an interesting stage that you may not get to play much. First off, watch out for bombs. Keep them in your vision unless you want to eat a ton of damage. Secondly, this stage kind of hinders MK's game-play. The water ruins would be gimps and allows other characters to spike you easily. A few things that benefit MK are the 2 walls to Dtilt lock against. (Ship front when crashed on rock and small ship that occasionally appears on the right of Pirate Ship). You can get kills off the sides quite easily. I'm still unsure where MK really stands on this stage.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Wow, this was unexpected. Alright, well I propose Brinstar as MK's best stage.

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Brinstar is a very good stage for MK. The "lava" forces campy characters to move around some. Since MK doesn't have a projectile, this is very important. The platforms also help keep MK away from projectiles. Another good thing about Brinstar is the section of the stage that falls apart when it takes damage. Dthrow on this can lead to a early KO since the stage moves apart and there are no edges to grab (I saw a video if something like this, let me see if I can find it). Gimping here is relatively easy. They probably won't try to recover very low since they cold be hit by the lava. The vertical death boundary is kind of low, so Uair string to MT can get you a kill pretty early. Conclusion: THIS STAGE RULES!!!

EDIT: I found the vid: Here it is.

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
I know that. He would be better against campers if he did, but he doesn't need one.

Norfair is also a good stage for MK. Again, the lava helps against campers. There are tons of planking opportunities and you can attack upwards through all five platforms. If you and your opponent are both in the safety capsule, start jabbing or MTing. Recovery is also good here, if you miss one of the upper platforms with Shuttle Loop/MT/DR you can almost always make it to another platform. You can also fly/jump under this stage. Gimping is semi hard here due to the fact that your opponent has lots of options on what edge to grab. That also make edge hogging nearly impossible. This is my second favorite stage for MK (after Brinstar).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Norfair is so much fun to fly around on lol.

Also, don't even bother going in that capsule, you can just shield the giant lava wave. If your opponent goes in, you can uair them from underneath depending on what char they're playing as (If they're diddy it won't work cus they can spam up b inside, and that explodes you)

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
True, but if you're both in there, just 'nado/jab. It gets you more damage than Uairing them. Yeah, don't Uair Diddy, you'll get meteor smashed...

IIIIRICK

Smash Journeyman
Ban Halberd against snake, and olimar (probably more characters but cant think off the top of my head) because of snakes utilt killing at 100% and olimars usmash killing at about 110 (not sure). halberd is normally a good map for metaknight but at the same time it has a low ceiling which can be very annoying, especially against snake, olimar and other characters that kill well off the top.

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
That's a tough choice. I would probably ban BF or SV against Snake. Those are his best stages. Not sure about Olimar though.

Q77

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm continuing to update with whatever information I can get. If it would be at all possible for someone to a stage write-up, that would be awesome and I would include it in the guide. Otherwise, I'm just going to take parts of the discussion and throw them in there.

Also, Olimar is my secondary and I love BF. Camping under the platforms is fantastic, and he can rack up damage fast. However, I don't think you should ban it just because of how well you can take advantage of the small stage and get gimps + platform juggling. Thoughts???

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
I would ban BF or SV against Snake. The more platforms a stage has, the better for snake it is. BF has 3 and SV has 1 large moving one. He can plant C4s/mines on these and limit your options more than he can on Halberd since the platform is not always there. Also, the low ceiling can lead to semi-early kills from Uair string->MT. Snake is very heavy (more likely to be in the 'nado when the knock back hit box comes out) and is a fairly large target which makes it easier to land the Uairs. @Q77: I don't know very much about Olimar so I can't answer you. And, why aren't you adding my info the the OP?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I would ban BF or SV against Snake. The more platforms a stage has, the better for snake it is. BF has 3 and SV has 1 large moving one. He can plant C4s/mines on these and limit your options more than he can on Halberd since the platform is not always there. Also, the low ceiling can lead to semi-early kills from Uair string->MT. Snake is very heavy (more likely to be in the 'nado when the knock back hit box comes out) and is a fairly large target which makes it easier to land the Uairs. @Q77: I don't know very much about Olimar so I can't answer you. And, why aren't you adding my info the the OP?
Uair string to nado is rare.. BF isn't that bad because snake has a harder time getting down once he starts getting juggled.

Q77

Smash Apprentice
If you are talking about the post about Norfair, I dont have that group of stages up yet. I'll have some time this weekend to do a big update and I'll post whatever I can then. :p

Stray_

Smash Apprentice
As a snake main i can say that BF and smashville are NOT the best options for snake vs MK.

we want to take you to FD or halberd

you should counterpick delfino and brinstar vs us.

Q77

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, this weekend I plan on throwing up a page on the rest of the stages and if anyone would care to contribute useful information, that'd be great.

Stray_

Smash Apprentice
Pictochat is also pretty decent for snake in the mk matchup, also is port town actually legal anywhere?

Q77

Smash Apprentice
Pictochat is also pretty decent for snake in the mk matchup, also is port town actually legal anywhere?
Not usually, but It was listed under CP/ Banned so I figured that some tournaments may use it, and might as well throw it at the bottom of the guide.

Stray_

Smash Apprentice
yeah being on a platform above a metaknight is annoying (as snake), you don't have too many options and its really easy for him to predict and punish you.

Top Bottom