• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Mechanic: The Rage Effect

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
You too didn't understand what rage does in a match.
So to make things clear: if you don't take risks to kill, aka if you always use your safer option, you are penalized. If you eat too much damage before ko your opponent, you're penalized. It's not a buff or something else, it's a nerf to a particulary type of playing, usually powerful in smash.
You have to stop thinking rage will allow random low percent kill outside of powerful smashes or some attack really special. All of them being unsafe and avoidable.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ironically, if rage wasn't in the game, there would be some ridiculous things you could do with spamming safe moves then killing with tilts, etc. I just think that rage worked best when used in tandem with vertical+horizontal vectoring, since they somewhat offset each other. Rage itself is just flawed for apparently scaling off of base knockback vs. knockback growth or total knockback.

I just don't like how rage is an extra calculation on top of opponent weight and the like if your character has frame-tight combos. Fortunately, I learned that rage does proportionally increase hitstun.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
You too didn't understand what rage does in a match.
So to make things clear: if you don't take risks to kill, aka if you always use your safer option, you are penalized. If you eat too much damage before ko your opponent, you're penalized. It's not a buff or something else, it's a nerf to a particulary type of playing, usually powerful in smash.
You have to stop thinking rage will allow random low percent kill outside of powerful smashes or some attack really special. All of them being unsafe and avoidable.
preeetttyyy sure i covered all the real effects of rage, and it's straightforward for the other guy to not have missed it too. If you eat too much damage before you KO your opponent you're already penalized for having high damage, thats just how smash works. Rage does nothing to make this worse, it only makes it better by increasing your knockback, thus decreasing the minimum damage your opponent needs to be at to get KOed.

Optimally speaking? This is never a nerf. It ruins some combos, but Smash 4 is completely playable without them. Unless you're the top of the top tier you dont have a guarnteed kill combo in this game anyway.

Consider yourself at 170% 2 stocks and your opponent at 0% 1 stock. You can just add 30% imaginary damage to his counter. Maybe not that extreme, but you get the picture.

Rage DOES allow low% kills, especially if you're playing a heavy champ. It's very, very noticeable.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
If you are above 130%, where rage has a significant effect, you will die from everything or close.
But you're guarented follow up won't work, so you can't rack damage easily. Guarented follow up have a lot of importance, it's what it makes those who don't have them bad.
And unless you are rosalina, Zelda, lucario and a few other, this is really bad. These 30% you add to the opponent counter will not matter unless you get him at 70%, and then you can say rage is a gift to you for survive in difficult condition, and a penality to the opponent for being a wimp.

LightLV

Smash Ace
If you are above 130%, where rage has a significant effect, you will die from everything or close.
But you're guarented follow up won't work, so you can't rack damage easily. Guarented follow up have a lot of importance, it's what it makes those who don't have them bad.
And unless you are rosalina, Zelda, lucario and a few other, this is really bad. These 30% you add to the opponent counter will not matter unless you get him at 70%, and then you can say rage is a gift to you for survive in difficult condition, and a penality to the opponent for being a wimp.
130% is not that high for some characters, seriously. Unless you get hard read into an upsmash or Bthrown on the ledge, it's very much survivable with DI. Heavier characters can take hits in the 170% range and float right back.

Characters like Bowser, DK, Charizard, Link, Falcon, Ganon and Yoshi can very, very easily net a kill at 70% when in high rage and a good position. Lucario can probably kill even earlier. You don't even need a lucky smash attack, the heavyweights can EASILY kill you with an Fair or Uair at this range. Bowser, DK, Ganon and Charizard can kill you in the 60% range with rage.

I don't see how losing guarnteed followups while having your opponent at an effectively higher damage % is ever a bad thing. The goal is to kill them, not combo them. It's not like they're going to be falling out of neutral jab combos or breaking grabs easier.

And if you're up a stock, this whole idea is irrelevant because ANY amount of damage dealt before you get even on stocks is bonus damage. Keeping your rage just allows you to widen that gap even further. If your opponent fails to kill you, then their second stock will go even faster than the first.

Last edited:

YpsiFang

Smash Rookie
I just hope that the people who implemented this due to its inclusion in Tekken- assuming that the OP is correct- realize the massive difference in knockback's role in Smash compared to Tekken.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I like Rage. It fills me with determination to come back from a deficit even if it isn't what directly leads into KOs. It gets me motivated.

Top Bottom